• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Miguel81

the flying kick is nice, but I really wish Raiden had a Hayabusa-style Flying Swallow attack. they should have just ripped off that move imo.

actually in general I hope they take some inspiration from Ryu's movesets/capabilities if there's a sequel in store.

Man, I wish Tecmo would bring Black & 2 over to Steam. Moar character action games.

Clawww

Can you cancel any attack animation or combo mid way through into a block/parry sorta like Bayonetta's Evade ?

I still kinda don;t get blade mode, when controlling it with the analog stick, sometimes it will cut sometimes it will just line up the slash but not do it which leaves me to basically spamming/mashing it to get most out of it, but you can't do that if you want those cybrogs left hands.

if you flick the stick, it will slice. if you just hold a direction, he lines up the attack. what you should try is to simply hold a direction/angle you want, and press the X and Y buttons to cut. works better than flicking the stick around, since you can be more precise.

XaosWolf

The left stick waggle to get out of stuns or grabs is the worst thing.

Why, Platinum, why

This. All of my hate for it.

And is there an issue with sliding into people and initiating blade mode? Raiden keeps instantly assuming the standing Blade-Mode instead of keeping on sliding. =/

I feel like Bayonetta had fun and interesting levels, so it can be done.

Bayonetta has flashy levels, but traversal was kinda standard. The Panther form was amazing for flatland speed, but it was never really used for any great real-time platforming tricks, nor were the Wicked Weaves. Funny enough, The Wonderful 101 feels like a direct response to that using your huge team formations for traversal and puzzle solving throughout it's campaign. With MGR, they don't make the greatest use of Raiden's agility either, on top of having fairly boxy level design. There's one cutscene early on where he chases a train and drifts around a corner on foot, and all I could think is "GOTDAYUM I WANNA DO THAT." In combat you're a beast, but level design and traversal is pretty boring.

Ninja Gaiden Black and God of War 2 are two of the most cohesive melee action titles in terms of flow from combat to traversal through level layouts. I'd like to see bigger steps taken in those areas in the genre moving forward. I know some of you guys really don't care for anything outside of combat, but it really wouldn't hurt to have a more well rounded experience, especially with how common endurance challenge modes are now (which should satiate your combat hunger).

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Bayonetta's level design is fantastic, in my opinion. Same goes for The Wonderful 101. I think a lot of Rising's level design is fine too, just hurt by some rough mechanics (hello ninja run) and an awful camera that makes certain encounters feel like they're not working with the level itself.

EDIT: And I actually really like the basic-as-fuck stealth system. Gives the game some Metal Gear flavour, is easy to perform, but still lets you ignore it in favour of playing Rising: The Action Game.

LiK

Bayonetta's level design is fantastic, in my opinion. Same goes for The Wonderful 101. I think a lot of Rising's level design is fine too, just hurt by some rough mechanics (hello ninja run) and an awful camera that makes certain encounters feel like they're not working with the level itself.

I'm gonna blame the lack of time on the level designs in MGR. They came up with a great battle system but probably didn't have time to work on the levels.

Has anything big happened in the last 30 pages or is it mostly people giving their impressions?

Also, finished my first playthrough on Hard today. Still an incredibly fun and interesting game a year later.

progressd9uwu.png

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Bayonetta's level design is pretty fantastic for an action game.

There's some pretty interesting platforming, especially when you're hunting for secrets. and the way Witch Walk was used reminded me alot of Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm gonna blame the lack of time on the level designs in MGR. They came up with a great battle system but probably didn't have time to work on the levels.

I dunno they had time to work on the DLC after release it seems and it wasn't any better.

I mean Bayonetta created two stages entirely out of recycled assets and they were some of the most fun levels in the game. Sometimes less is more. Shame Rising couldn't do the same with the DLC.

Edit: I think Rising was held back more by the Metal Gear universe than any time constraints personally. I mean thinking harder about comparing it to Bayonetta, it seems unfair since it doesn't have nearly as many fantastical elements to work with. Bayonetta's lore let them go nuts with the level design and do whatever.

d0c_zaius

I have to disagree big time. so many times the level design in that game made me scratch my head going "WTF".

I agree about the stealth system in MGR being a good option though for people.

Mechazawa

Sam's DLC was a ton of fun. Quick, to the point, little filler and Sam himself is absolutely disgusting with those charge moves.

But jesus christ that last boss. Yeah game, give the last boss a ramming move that can be done at close range, which makes it practically impossible to dodge. Real fuckin' nice.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I have to disagree big time. so many times the level design in that game made me scratch my head going "WTF".

101 I think is the opposite of Bayonetta and example of more being less. So many diversions that distract you from the core game.

and after 101 and Rising I'm kind of hoping Platinum sort of steps away from their linear ranked stage formula for their next original title. Wouldn't mind them doing something in the style of Okami or DMC1 with more of a open world/level progression like the former, or a taking place in a consistent setting like DMC1. I'd like to see them step out of their lane a little bit more in the future.

Grief.exe

101 I think is the opposite of Bayonetta and example of more being less. So many diversions that distract you from the core game.

and after 101 and Rising I'm kind of hoping Platinum sort of steps away from their linear ranked stage formula for their next original title. Wouldn't mind them doing something in the style of Okami or DMC1 with more of a open world/level progression like the former, or a taking place in a consistent setting like DMC1.

I would love to see them do an action-RPG.

if you flick the stick, it will slice. if you just hold a direction, he lines up the attack. what you should try is to simply hold a direction/angle you want, and press the X and Y buttons to cut. works better than flicking the stick around, since you can be more precise.

Will try that, will have to flip the analog controls to be able to swin and aim at the same time.

Wookieomg

I have the same problem as he does and its not overscan. Even when its set to 0 it has black borders.

Indeed a scaling problem

go here:
OUZa1tR.jpg

Yeah I have my overscan set to 0, every other game I play works like a charm. But MGRR is weird. :/ I found a workaround by playing in Windowed and using the .exe linked in previous pages for Windowed Borderless Gaming, which basically makes it Borderless Windowed, so it's alright, though not optimal.

It runs really well, though I'd like to amp up my graphics a bit.. Saw some people several pages back talking about SGSSAA. Wondering if it's an NVIDIA specific thing or if my Radeon card can take advantage of it as well...

If anyone knows, do I need a custom user tool like RadeonPro to use SGSSAA?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I would love to see them do an action-RPG.

That'd be sweet.

My second favorite PG game after Bayo is probably Anarchy Reigns simply because of how new and different it is from all their other stuff. I think Vanquish is really good for similar reasons.

They're a talented bunch and I'd love to see them bring their flavor to other genres like that in the future, rather than just catering to their niche.(All I need is Bayonetta in terms of Pure action game PG)

I still kinda don;t get blade mode, when controlling it with the analog stick, sometimes it will cut sometimes it will just line up the slash but not do it which leaves me to basically spamming/mashing it to get most out of it, but you can't do that if you want those cybrogs left hands.

You hold the stick (whichever one you're using, depending on your control scheme) out to the side to aim, and then Raiden cuts when you let go of the stick and it snaps back to the neutral position. It takes kind of a deliberate motion, though, because it really has to snap; if you let the stick back slowly Raiden won't slash. I never had a problem with it on PS3, but I'm playing the PC version with my Dualshock 4 and I've had a handful of failed slashes, which I assume means the DS4's sticks are less snappy than a DS3's. I have to make sure I'm getting the full snap, and not letting my clumsy thumb get in the way of things, but I'm used to it now.

Alternatively, if you switch to one of the control schemes where you move the camera with the right stick and aim your sword with the left in Blade Mode, you can actually use the Square/X button to slash. You hold the stick out to aim the slice as usual, but you don't need to worry about letting it go, you just hammer that button. It might be worth trying out.

Miker

Bayonetta has flashy levels, but traversal was kinda standard. The Panther form was amazing for flatland speed, but it was never really used for any great real-time platforming tricks, nor were the Wicked Weaves. Funny enough, The Wonderful 101 feels like a direct response to that using your huge team formations for traversal and puzzle solving throughout it's campaign. With MGR, they don't make the greatest use of Raiden's agility either, on top of having fairly boxy level design. There's one cutscene early on where he chases a train and drifts around a corner on foot, and all I could think is "GOTDAYUM I WANNA DO THAT." In combat you're a beast, but level design and traversal is pretty boring.

Ninja Gaiden Black and God of War 2 are two of the most cohesive melee action titles in terms of flow from combat to traversal through level layouts. I'd like to see bigger steps taken in those areas in the genre moving forward. I know some of you guys really don't care for anything outside of combat, but it really wouldn't hurt to have a more well rounded experience, especially with how common endurance challenge modes are now (which should satiate your combat hunger).

I found both of these to be pretty dull in terms of level design (and traversal, I guess?). Ninja Gaiden Black is crypt after catacomb after temple. I love the game and all, but the combat is the best part, and the environments are, generally speaking, pretty boring. God of War 2 I just don't remember at all, so there's that.

and after 101 and Rising I'm kind of hoping Platinum sort of steps away from their linear ranked stage formula for their next original title. Wouldn't mind them doing something in the style of Okami or DMC1 with more of a open world/level progression like the former, or a taking place in a consistent setting like DMC1. I'd like to see them step out of their lane a little bit more in the future.

If they improve Ninja Run, they could easily facilitate a hub-based mission structure using MGR's mechanics. Like the Sly Cooper sequels, or an AssCreed game with a smaller world and less shitty combat.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Whoops. I accidentally selected Normal for the Sam DLC. No wonder it was so easy.

You'll be surprised at how lenient it can be after doing it a few times.

Yeah, technically you can hit NONE of the targets and still get the slice if it's aligned parallel and set close enough.

Unai

I just played half an hour of this game and...

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD, WHAT AN AWSOME GAME!!!!!

I've only defeated the first boss, and I was impressed. The gameplay is fantastic, and the main character sure is a badass. I've never had such a good first impression in any game of this kind, like Devil May Cry or Bayonetta.

Right now I'm playing through Dragon's Dogma on the 360 and I still want to spend some weeks playing it, but this one is next on my list.

I really can't wait to see what happens with MGR2, assuming it ever happens (oh pls oh pls). Whether it's another KojiPro/Platinum collaboration or just a plain Platinum game, I'd love to see a sequel with a full development cycle and no behind-the-scenes drama. Longer, more bosses, better secondary-weapon implementation, better camera, etc etc. Oh, and WALLRUNNING.

Also, a certain dramatic re-introduction of a certain character is 100% mandatory (Revengeance spoilers):
Sam, sporting cybernetic enhancements, karate kicks through a wall, does a couple of sweet flips for good measure, nods at Raiden and aims a significant glance at a familiar red sword in Raiden's hand. "I theenk you have sometheeng of mine..."

Regiruler

Sam's fight was a pain in the ass.
It also should have been the boss fight of the previous chapter instead of it's own chapter. That kind of inconsistency makes me cringe. Also,
after you kill him they lament too much for a character that had what, only 4 appearances so far? Hell, monsoon was a more interesting character. I mean they're both cutouts compared to sundowner, but still. They only try to give him a bit of personality after the fact.

I can't for the life of me figure out how to use these scissor things correctly. I mean they're essentially unblockable, but they're slow as fuck. How are you supposed to use them in actual combat?
The other two are leagues better, IMO. Dystopia is a favorite of mine since I love movement-based weapons.

I'm on chapter 7 now, this section where you have to go through 3 groups of guards is really, really painful. The music in the standard fights is also starting to get really, really grindy. Thankfully, Sundowner's theme was really, really good.

Good lord, why won't my game install? I bought it on the 8th and I've tried installing it three times now. Every single time it gets to around 93% before giving me a "disk drive error" and then resetting back to 52%. It's absolutely infuriating and confusing.

I know it's not a problem with my disk space, since I have over 50 GB free. I'm running Steam as the admin too so it can't be that either. I just want to play my GOTY again... ;_;

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It also should have been the boss fight of the previous chapter instead of it's own chapter. That kind of inconsistency makes me cringe. Also,
after you kill him they lament too much for a character that had what, only 4 appearances so far? Hell, monsoon was a more interesting character. I mean they're both cutouts compared to sundowner, but still. They only try to give him a bit of personality after the fact.

You kidding?

He is the fucking best. Topped only by the final boss. They put that boss in its own chapter so that people in the console version could cut right to that fight if they wanted to. And I'm damn glad they did.

Item Box

I always forget how ABSOLUTELY ENRAGING THE VR MISSIONS FOR SAM ARE.

EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE MAKES ME CLENCH MY ASS
Yeah, I gave up on mission 4 (got up to the GRAD) after being stuck on it for a couple of days. I'm not even sure anymore if I'm just bad, or the camera is

its probably both

Dahbomb

Sam is like the Vergil/Griffith to Raiden. He is the ultimate rival and technical equal. It deserved its proper build up and resolution.

Clawww

Yeah, I gave up on mission 4 (got up to the GRAD) after being stuck on it for a couple of days. I'm not even sure anymore if I'm just bad, or the camera is

its probably both

camera wasn't really problematic in that fight. you're bad. adapt or switch to an easier difficulty. don't hop off this rollercoaster so early, please.

Regiruler

You kidding?

He is the fucking best. Topped only by the final boss. They put that boss in its own chapter so that people in the console version could cut right to that fight if they wanted to. And I'm damn glad they did.

It's so goddamn dull.
That might have been because I was restricting myself to footsword as my heavy for dramatic purposes, but the sunset battle really didn't do it for me. Especially he's essentially just standing in the way, no aggression. Why not even try to go past him?

If they're going to use philosophical reasons or whatnot, they need someone that lays down the ham like monsoon.
Speaking of which, his fight is tied for favorite with sundowner.

I get the fact that it's a rival fight, but I just found the entire thing to be lacking something. What, I don't know because it's 2 fucking am.

xJavonta

Banned
Hey guys, I've perused several pages of this thread but can't find a straight answer so I'm gonna ask: I'm playing on my TV with resolution of 1920x1080 and I have black bars on every side, top, left, right, and bottom. It looks like a scaling problem, but I don't know what to do to fix it. Any ideas? At 1680x1050 the bars go away, but I want to use the max resolution my TV can support.

Specs are as follows:

intel i5 2500k
16gb ddr3 ram 1600
radeon hd 7970
42" hdtv

Use CCC to fix it.

Edit: Just saw you tried that. Sorry :/

FUCKING DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

That lat fight is fucking great man. really putting all of the game's combat mechanics into focus and forcing you to use them all to their fullest extent.

Bravo.

First playthrough on hard done, now on to the DLC.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
It's so goddamn dull.
That might have been because I was restricting myself to footsword as my heavy for dramatic purposes, but the sunset battle really didn't do it for me. Especially he's essentially just standing in the way, no aggression. Why not even try to go past him?

If they're going to use philosophical reasons or whatnot, they need someone that lays down the ham like monsoon.
Speaking of which, his fight is tied for favorite with sundowner.

The point is that it's not about philosophies. They don't give a shit about these grand maniacal schemes and conspiracies that have plagued Metal Gear's convoluted plot for years. Instead, this is a simple duel. Man against man. Settling a score. The beauty is in the simplicity.

As for him standing still, are you playing on Hard? You used the Pincer Blades, which is basically the easymode boss killer. Go back and give him a proper sword fight.

Dahbomb

camera wasn't really problematic in that fight. you're bad. adapt or switch to an easier difficulty. don't hop off this rollercoaster so early, please.
GRAD boss fight on first time Hard is a really cheap fight. Camera works against you and the whole fight is littered with destructible objects that not only hinder your mobility and view point but also results in off screen hits and free damage. Also at that point the boss takes a lot of hits to bring down because normally people don't have their sword damage upgraded as its still early. This was easily the fight I had the most trouble with starting it.

Right after that mission you fight two of those but since it was an open area both I was able to take down on my first time. Same for whenever that enemy popped up again. The area you fight the boss in for the first time is legitimatelt awful right in the territory of cheap.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It's kinda funny going through this again with a clean template, starting from scratch. I remember Sam kicking the ever loving fuck out of me on Hard for my first run, and resorting to all kinds of cheesy tactics to get the upper hand. I just cleaned him up ten minutes ago, and so far haven't died on any of the bosses once.

Learning.

popyea

Sam's VR missions are the only ones I really enjoyed. Mission 4 is a bitch for sure, but it's fun. Never really enjoyed the other VR missions in this game like I did the alfheims in Bayo and kakhoo regah in W101.

Miguel81

Wow that would be good. Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was the first game like this I had ever played.

Black & 2(original) are the ones that would top the charts. Those two are great games and the second one has frame-rate issues. Instead, we're getting Yaiba Ninja Gaiden Z.

Regiruler

The point is that it's not about philosophies. They don't give a shit about these grand maniacal schemes and conspiracies that have plagued Metal Gear's convoluted plot for years. Instead, this is a simple duel. Man against man. Settling a score. The beauty is in the simplicity.

As for him standing still, are you playing on Hard? You used the Pincer Blades, which is basically the easymode boss killer. Go back and give him a proper sword fight.

No I didn't use the pinser: I told you I swapped to no secondary weapon, aka footsword. I meant in the cutscene.
And yes I'm playing on hard. I simply don't like the fight.

It's very possible I'm just tired, but I'm guessing the fact that didn't really like his theme. I mean it just feels a bit too "angry". Compare to Monsoon's theme, which is a middle ground between the more electronic of "A Stranger I remain", and the overboard metalcore of whatever is used as the standard fight theme in chapter 5 onwards (it might have started being used earlier, but I don't remember).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No I didn't use the pinser: I told you I swapped to no secondary weapon, aka footsword. I meant in the cutscene.

I have never heard that term before.

Then I dunno, man. If you're playing on Hard, I don't know why he wasn't attacking.

Both of them respect each other. It's a duel. Sam could have killed him earlier or met Raiden at his destination to screw up his plans... but he didn't because it was never about the master plan. It was about the duel... an honest fight. What's even better is when
it's revealed that he's mostly still human.

Top Bottom