• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I don't understand what you mean. Did you just not like how long the zandatsu animation took?
Yes it's too long for something you do 1000 times in the game. PG should have either sped up the animation or severely limited the number of enemies with spines (or taken it out entirely). I always felt zandetsu was a concept carried over to MGRR from the build Konami worked on (concept not implementation), just feels too repetitive and boring of a concept to base combat around.

Wookieomg

Hey guys, I've perused several pages of this thread but can't find a straight answer so I'm gonna ask: I'm playing on my TV with resolution of 1920x1080 and I have black bars on every side, top, left, right, and bottom. It looks like a scaling problem, but I don't know what to do to fix it. Any ideas? At 1680x1050 the bars go away, but I want to use the max resolution my TV can support.

Specs are as follows:

intel i5 2500k
16gb ddr3 ram 1600
radeon hd 7970
42" hdtv

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
11882075023_3717f1db4a_c.jpg

Not a bad game at all. Pretty entertaining actually. Looking forward to the DLC and VR missions. And then afterwards maybe a Hard replay.

If I had to rank 'em it'd be 2>1>3>Rising>Peace Walker>4.

Zeliard

What's up with the Lumiere du ciel polearm move having the wrong command in the move list? Says it's Down, Up on left stick + Y, but it's really Up, Up + Y.

Grief.exe

Okay, so the rocket launcher guys are fucking annoying.

How do you deal with them? Just single them out and go after them first? Or is there something better?

Jintor

How do you deal with them? Just single them out and go after them first? Or is there something better?

Almost all rocket launcher guys are instant-cuttable, unless they're katana minions. Your best bet is to footslide into zandatsu and cut them in half asap.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Blade mode isn't really the issue. The animations are long, yeah and they could cut half of that repetition out by giving the health/fuel gain instantly and just having it "cancel" you out to standing neutral, kinda like "Blade Mode Canceling" does already.

But then you lose the i-frames and whiffed attacks of a mob of enemies that were about to attack you while you were in blade mode and grabbing that spine... so...

Senator Armstrong
has to be one of the toughest boss fights I've ever seen, especially since I'm going in with zero health pickups. Why, out of everything in the game, can Raiden
not cut a bunch of fucking cargo containers...

In what part of the game?

I haven't tried cutting their missiles in half, but I'll give that a try soon. Might only work against the slower-moving missiles though.

DSix

Banned
Just finished the DLC chapters for the first time. As expected they recycle stuff everywhere.
Sam chapter especially is meh, everything recycled except sam which feels like a slower Raiden. Wolf chapter is alright, playing as blade wolf feels good and the new boss battle was pretty cool.

I hope we will play more of Bladewolf in MGR 2.

Dahbomb

If next gen is a series of button prompts than count me out. Blade mode was a very unique feature but zandetsu really nullified any fun I had with it. It makes Blade mode more of a grind for health or a way to finish off enemies faster. I would have preferred if it was just the latter, because it was certainly fun cutting off the arms of the heavier armor characters as a fighting tactic. Hell zandetsu would have been ok if the animation wasn't so long or if the spines weren't in everything. Really brings down the game..

Also the level design was not close to this gen or next gen and was too linear for a Metal Gear game. You could really tell PG was grinding out that game at the speed of light towards the end because the later levels all felt very flat and dull..
It's not about the button prompts.

It's about first parrying the opponent or cutting up individual parts of an enemy THEN going into Blade Mode to cut an even more precise part of the enemy for maximum benefit. Its like the concept of critical hits taken to the next level and you being rewarded properly for executing it. It combines technical and timing based skill with precision game play unlike anything seen in an action game before.

Yea the Zandatsu animation could be shorter but I am talking about the whole concept. MGR as an action game is actually very light on the combat options but it excels because of these types of next level interactive mechanics.

Level design sucks but I was definitely not talking about that. Pretty much every action game has a problem with it and an action game with great level design and mechanics would be an excellent game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't see a single problem with zantadsu, save for some oddities with the camera perspective during and it seemingly not cutting what I want. Otherwise I find it fast and responsive enough to be a cornerstone of what makes Rising unique, enough to make up for weaknesses in combat death. I'd like to see zantadsu as it is used more often in boss fights and stuff.

The animation of ripping out spines didn't get tedious to me, because it's the short break in combat that lets you relax a bit.

Sub_Level

Level design sucks but I was definitely not talking about that. Pretty much every action game has a problem with it and an action game with great level design and mechanics would be an excellent game.

I felt like Ninja Gaiden Black overall had some great levels. The dojo, the village, the airship, the ice and lava caves, and the sewer level (yes the sewer level is actually good in NGB). DMC3's level that took place inside of a monster was cool.

Jintor

The only thing I have about Zandatsu is sometimes the camera doesn't orientate itself properly when you're exiting it and you'll get hit just as your i-frames end with no way of blocking correctly.

Llyranor

Yes it's too long for something you do 1000 times in the game. PG should have either sped up the animation or severely limited the number of enemies with spines (or taken it out entirely). I always felt zandetsu was a concept carried over to MGRR from the build Konami worked on (concept not implementation), just feels too repetitive and boring of a concept to base combat around.
Just skip the animation completely and just pick up the health drop off the floor

McNagah

Sorry if this question was answered before, but I didn't see it in the opening post. Does the PC port allow you to use gamepads?

Miker

The left stick waggle to get out of stuns or grabs is the worst thing.

Why, Platinum, why

Capcom tradition is my guess. God Hand immediately comes to mind. I'm sure there are others.

Regarding Zandatsu - in reviews there are always lines that say "thing X/Y/Z is SO AWESOME, you'll never get tired it!," and I inevitably find that I do halfway through. With Zandatsu, though, I'm 5 of 8 chapters in, and I've yet to get tired of it. It really does let me breathe (and blink, for that matter) for a tiny little bit, and I'm grateful for that.

Clawww

Just beat
Sundowner
. He's the first boss to give me real trouble so far. Took me about ten tries because I was being super sloppy and stupid. Kept doing the running slide attack on him which is a terrible idea. His armor is fucking sick, though.

I don't see a single problem with zantadsu, save for some oddities with the camera perspective during and it seemingly not cutting what I want. Otherwise I find it fast and responsive enough to be a cornerstone of what makes Rising unique, enough to make up for weaknesses in combat death. I'd like to see zantadsu as it is used more often in boss fights and stuff.

The animation of ripping out spines didn't get tedious to me, because it's the short break in combat that lets you relax a bit.

I thought the pacing of Zandatsu in the combat was spot on... you shouldn't be doing it on every enemy, and when you do you use it, the little animation is a nice way to heal and also provides a little breather during the action. Crushing the spine and replenishing your meters is pretty satisfying. The transitions and flips he does in certain situations are pretty sweet as well.

Parfait

Hey guys, I've perused several pages of this thread but can't find a straight answer so I'm gonna ask: I'm playing on my TV with resolution of 1920x1080 and I have black bars on every side, top, left, right, and bottom. It looks like a scaling problem, but I don't know what to do to fix it. Any ideas? At 1680x1050 the bars go away, but I want to use the max resolution my TV can support.

Specs are as follows:

intel i5 2500k
16gb ddr3 ram 1600
radeon hd 7970
42" hdtv

Indeed a scaling problem

go here:
OUZa1tR.jpg

AND MAKE THE CRUSHING MOTION WITH YOUR HAND WHILE SCREAMING RULES OF NATURE

You're supposed to play the game of guess whether Raiden will say "bullseye" or " dead awwn"

It's almost certainly intended to be a moment of reprieve for the player, what with the invincibility frames. Maybe allowing the player to cancel out of it would be fine, but something that awesome really doesn't need it

Dahbomb

Of course, gamepads. Who's playing this with kb/m, haha?
I am playing it on KBM and its very playable.

Hardest thing for me right now are parries, directional attacks and fast/accurate Blade mode cuts. The last option I am pretty sure I can tinker with the controls to make it better. Problem with parries/special attacks is that because its 3D you sometimes need to press diagonals which is two buttons on KB. Dodging is actually easier on KBM as its mapped to a single button.

like.. Bayonetta? :D
Level design is still very straight forward in that game. Its flashy but nothing under the hood.

Sub_Level

You're supposed to play the game of guess whether Raiden will say "bullseye" or " dead awwn"

The entire time I thought "dead on" was actually "get him!". I was confused because even if that was the last guard that I had just killed I'd hear it. Now I understand.

KingKong

I'm having no problem with mouse and keyboard after I rebound the run from ctrl to alt. Wish I could bind things to mouse4 and mouse5 but oh well. Mouse acceleration isnt as bad as people made it out to be, I thought it would be Dark Souls level bad

Just skip the animation completely and just pick up the health drop off the floor
That's actually a bad option because the hitbox is really small for picking them up, and picking them up off the ground doesn't give you full health back (it did in the demo though...). Also its tied to your rank so you have to do a set number of zandetsus to fill out the zandetsu score..

KingKong

Level design is still very straight forward in that game. Its flashy but nothing under the hood.

I don't see the problem with straightforward level design considering these games are built entirely around enemy encounters and pacing, you cant really have an open or semi open score based action game

Just beat monsoon on hard, i've found the boss fights easy so far, I actually have more trouble with the special mobs. Keen to try out revegeance mode if this keeps up.

Are you forcing AA globally anywhere?

Yup. I turned off Radeon pro and that seemed to fix it.

Clawww

I'm having no problem with mouse and keyboard after I rebound the run from ctrl to alt. Wish I could bind things to mouse4 and mouse5 but oh well. Mouse acceleration isnt as bad as people made it out to be, I thought it would be Dark Souls level bad

can you assign your mouse buttons to key functions through your mouse drivers/software? I do that for some games. for example I can set my mouse 4 button as 'P,' and then I assign a function in-game to P on the keyboard.

I don't see the problem with straightforward level design considering these games are built entirely around enemy encounters and pacing, you cant really have an open or semi open score based action game

Of course you can, aka Ninja Gaiden Black. (I don't care if it's linear though)

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
By the way, guys, remember to check out the long range Zandatsu you can get with Sam by utilizing the Y-charge attacks in Blade Mode. So fun.

Clawww

Those guys with the huge arms in the sewer are wrecking me. Despite how terrible I'm doing at this game, I'm having a blast.

you absolutely have to dodge their grabs

I was really frauding my way up to that point by hardly using the dodge because I didn't have a good feel for it...but yeah. when you see them wind up for the grab, late dodge to the side as soon as they get near touching distance to you. zangeki their arms asap once they turn blue because they can't grab you then also. outside of the grab they're not too much trouble.

Levyne

Banned
Yep. However they seem to have two types of grabs, one with a longer tell than the other. The longer one seems harder to simply just use the frames of the dodge since it doesn't last long enough. That one I found myself having to run away or jump over them or something.

Sucks when there's like 3 of them around.

Grief.exe

Holy shit that Monsoon fight. Fucking intense.

When this game feels right, it feels right. Hitting all those parries in a row, into blade mode just feels amazing.

The best part was when he stealth attacks you through the smoke and you just have to parry each attack.

Dahbomb

You can because action games have done it. Castlevania LoS and Darksiders both do it. In the case of Darksiders 2 the combat in that game is actually legit for an open world adventure game.

I think best level design in an action game is DMC1. Da king.

Clawww

the flying kick is nice, but I really wish Raiden had a Hayabusa-style Flying Swallow attack. they should have just ripped off that move imo.

actually in general I hope they take some inspiration from Ryu's movesets/capabilities if there's a sequel in store.

Can you cancel any attack animation or combo mid way through into a block/parry sorta like Bayonetta's Evade ?

I still kinda don;t get blade mode, when controlling it with the analog stick, sometimes it will cut sometimes it will just line up the slash but not do it which leaves me to basically spamming/mashing it to get most out of it, but you can't do that if you want those cybrogs left hands.

Top Bottom