• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

It's so goddamn dull.
That might have been because I was restricting myself to footsword as my heavy for dramatic purposes, but the sunset battle really didn't do it for me. Especially he's essentially just standing in the way, no aggression. Why not even try to go past him?

If they're going to use philosophical reasons or whatnot, they need someone that lays down the ham like monsoon.
Speaking of which, his fight is tied for favorite with sundowner.

I get the fact that it's a rival fight, but I just found the entire thing to be lacking something. What, I don't know because it's 2 fucking am.

No-damaging him will make you appreciate his fight more.

And you're supposed to strafe parallel to him when he starts walking slowly because it's badass.

Grief.exe

The freight elevator part is fucking frustrating. The most annoying enemies flying around and confined to small spaces.

I used all my nanopaste in my first encounter, learning the ropes. When I reloaded, it was all gone.

Regiruler

I have never heard that term before.

Then I dunno, man. If you're playing on Hard, I don't know why he wasn't attacking.

Both of them respect each other. It's a duel. Sam could have killed him earlier or met Raiden at his destination to screw up his plans... but he didn't because it was never about the master plan. It was about the duel... an honest fight. What's even better is when
it's revealed that he's mostly still human.

He was attacking. I'm just saying he was boring.
No-damaging him will make you appreciate his fight more.

And you're supposed to strafe parallel to him when he starts walking slowly because it's badass.
Compared to someone like Vorkken, for example, he didn't have any notable interesting abilities, aside from his grabs, that really differentiated him from raiden. Vorkken made himself unique by having the enemy unify, as well as unify boomerang (then again you fight him 5 times, so granted they do have to introduce more new stuff).

All in all, it just felt like I was hitting a punching bag that I need to constantly hit at the correct time otherwise it swings back into my face. Same amount of endurance too: the damn thing felt like it wouldn't end.
I will say that I liked how you went down the very bottom of the health bar, as opposed to monsoon and sundowner. That part I did like.

Good lord, why won't my game install? I bought it on the 8th and I've tried installing it three times now. Every single time it gets to around 93% before giving me a "disk drive error" and then resetting back to 52%. It's absolutely infuriating and confusing.

I know it's not a problem with my disk space, since I have over 50 GB free. I'm running Steam as the admin too so it can't be that either. I just want to play my GOTY again... ;_;

Anyone know what's up here? I would really like to stream the game this weekend, but I can't if it isn't friggin' installing.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He was attacking. I'm just saying he was boring.

It's pure. No tricks, no mindgames, no agendas. I guess that's boring for some people. I thought it was pretty great.

The freight elevator part is fucking frustrating. The most annoying enemies flying around and confined to small spaces.

I used all my nanopaste in my first encounter, learning the ropes. When I reloaded, it was all gone.

Lock onto the raven enemies and use the Skyfall to hit them. It sets them up perfectly for a Zandatsu. You'll probably want to get rid of those first.

I did that part earlier and it was terrible, especially because the game doesn't teach you to how to lock on and change target and I had to figure it out, otherwise the sai just targets the hammerdude.

And then the two gorillas show up.

Regiruler

I did that part earlier and it was terrible, especially because the game doesn't teach you to how to lock on and change target and I had to figure it out, otherwise the sai just targets the hammerdude.

And then the two gorillas show up.

I believe it does tell you how to change targets.
That or I looked it up myself very early. Quite honestly I can't remember. It's labeled on the button layout, though.

And the mastiff is such a fucking pain, I agree. Only thing that comes close are the hammer grunts.

MormaPope

Banned
Sam is like the Vergil/Griffith to Raiden. He is the ultimate rival and technical equal. It deserved its proper build up and resolution.

He definitely is, for now.

For Rising 2 I want the bosses and main antagonists to be cyborg clones of each Snake. Solid, Liquid, Naked Snake/Big Boss, all being lead by cyborg Solidus. I'm really rooting for Raiden to be the main protagonist for the Rising series, he deserves it and there's a lot that can happen with his character.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
He definitely is, for now.

For Rising 2 I want the bosses and main antagonists to be cyborg clones of each Snake. Solid, Liquid, Naked Snake/Big Boss, all being lead by cyborg Solidus. I'm really rooting for Raiden to be the main protagonist for the Rising series, he deserves it and there's a lot that can happen with his character.

I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather Rising 2 distance itself more from the Solid series than fall back into it. It doesn't help that I really don't get the appeal of Solidus.

Regiruler

I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather Rising 2 distance itself more from the Solid series than fall back into it. It doesn't help that I really hate Solidus as a character.

I can't make a full statement as I haven't finished it yet, nor do I play MGS as a whole, but I think MGR strikes a good balance of references to the standard series: there are jokes and story references that makes it more enjoyable to fans of the series as whole, but the bosses are original.

EDIT: Or as this guy put it:
Just let me fight more crazy guys that just want to kill raiden.

Grief.exe

Lock onto the raven enemies and use the Skyfall to hit them. It sets them up perfectly for a Zandatsu. You'll probably want to get rid of those first.

worked perfectly, killed all those guys and went crazy jack for the apes and hammer.

Still no fix for the HDMI framerate issue, other than Radeonpro?

Nope, only patch so far has been to fix the always-online bug.

They are compiling a list of issues and are working towards fixing them.

MormaPope

Banned
I might be in the minority here, but I'd rather Rising 2 distance itself more from the Solid series than fall back into it. It doesn't help that I really don't get the appeal of Solidus.

Remember now, these are cyborg clones. Even though they are Snake's by appearance and title, they will not have identical values or traits. Each Snake's fighting style is determined by how they lived and fought on the battlefield.

In the very least I want Rising 2 to be as outrageous and adventurous as Rising 1.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think it'd be a crime not to have some kind of Solidus bossfight in a future Rising game. Even if it's totally non-canonical, or a secret ultimate boss like Rodin in Bayonetta, I'll take what I can get.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Remember now, these are cyborg clones. Even though they are Snake's by appearance and title, they will not have identical values or traits. Each Snake's fighting style is determined by how they lived and fought on the battlefield.

In the very least I want Rising 2 to be as outrageous and adventurous as Rising 1.

I sort of take back what I said before. I don't necessarily think Rising needs to distance itself more from Solid, but I don't want it to rely on the Solid series. I'd like it to stand independently.

I'm sure Rising 2 would be an exhilarating rollercoaster ride... and hopefully with some extra time and polish.

MormaPope

Banned
I don't necessarily disagree, but I do think it'd be a crime not to have some kind of Solidus bossfight in a future Rising game. Even if it's totally non-canonical, or a secret ultimate boss like Rodin in Bayonetta, I'll take what I can get.

I want that shit and I want it to be canonical as fuck. The fight at the end of MGS2 doesn't live up to what Raiden and Solidus histories are. Raiden vs. Solidus rematch? And if Solidus kills Rose and kidnaps Raiden's son at the beginning of Rising 2? And Solidus' main intention is to turn Raiden's son into the prodigal child solider/solider?

The hypest, the hypest.

Grief.exe

I want that shit and I want it to be canonical as fuck. The fight at the end of MGS2 doesn't live up to what Raiden and Solidus histories are. Raiden vs. Solidus rematch? And if Solidus kills Rose and kidnaps Raiden's son at the beginning of Rising 2? And Solidus' main intention is to turn Raiden's son into the prodigal child solider/solider?

The hypest, the hypest.

You could do a Solidus body rematch, where the human is dead but the body is being controlled by an AI.

Not even close to the level of drama you are referring to, but would be cool.

Item Box

Ive been missing a couple of ranks in some of the chapters. Aside from the secret missions, do I have to kill everything in order to not miss them?

camera wasn't really problematic in that fight. you're bad. adapt or switch to an easier difficulty. don't hop off this rollercoaster so early, please.
?

I already finished raiden and blade wolf's stories, its just this one VR mission with sam in particular thats giving me problems.

Levyne

Banned
Ive been missing a couple of ranks in some of the chapters. Aside from the secret missions, do I have to kill everything in order to not miss them?

Apparently sometimes you have to backtrack. And if I am not mistaken if you are stealthy you can miss ranked fights that way too.

Sorry if asked before, but what's the best way to quit back to desktop? Currently I'm doing the following...

Pause game -> Title -> Are You Sure? Yes-> *short pause will I wait for the opening animation to play* -> Press Start -> Load Save -> OK -> Exit -> Are you sure? Yes

which seems incredibly convoluted. I'd have thought...

Pause game -> Exit -> Are you sure? Yes

would be in there somewhere.

Zeliard

Sorry if asked before, but what's the best way to quit back to desktop? Currently I'm doing the following...

Pause game -> Title -> Are You Sure? Yes-> *short pause will I wait for the opening animation to play* -> Press Start -> Load Save -> OK -> Exit -> Are you sure? Yes

I just alt-F4 when I know it's saved.

And if Solidus kills Rose and kidnaps Raiden's son at the beginning of Rising 2? And Solidus' main intention is to turn Raiden's son into the prodigal child solider/solider?

DUDE

A fight that epic needs something like the bit in Vanquish when they remove the limitations on Sam's suit. "Raiden no, your body cannot take it, tovarich!" "JUST DO IT, BORIS!" And then it turns into Revengeance Turbo Mode, and you're fucking slicing THE SHIT out of everything at hyper speed and Ninja Running on the ceiling to dodge the trillions of missiles Solidus is firing at you, and you're both leaving fire trails on the ground, and oh god I have to lie down in a dark room for a while.

Grief.exe

alt-F4

Game actually closes in that manner quite eloquently.

B7096A873C3C736F5DD628CB129A0D846622716D

The game totally kicked my ass, I really should have played on easy or normal mode. Such an incredible game though, Rising 2 better happen.

Solidus_mgs2.jpg

Solidus as a character is almost begging to be in a Rising game. He almost made something like Rising fashionable before we had the game.

Sporting two high-frequency blades, pole-arm weapons he uses like Doc Ock. Bring him in Rising 2 like Armstrong, bring back the threat of digital censorship somehow, and you've got an inevitably epic boss fight. A Revengance-upgraded Solidus versus Jack the Ripper, his own creation in cyborg ninja form. The possibilities.

MormaPope

Banned
DUDE

A fight that epic needs something like the bit in Vanquish when they remove the limitations on Sam's suit. "Raiden no, your body cannot take it, tovarich!" "JUST DO IT, BORIS!" And then it turns into Revengeance Turbo Mode, and you're fucking slicing THE SHIT out of everything at hyper speed and Ninja Running on the ceiling to dodge the trillions of missiles Solidus is firing at you, and you're both leaving fire trails on the ground, and oh god I have to lie down in a dark room for a while.

This would be ace, the bees knees.

But I want Raiden to go into overdrive before the Solidus battle, because not only will there be a 1v1 Solidus battle, there will be a battle reminiscent of Raiden vs. multiple Metal Gear Rays. This battle will take place in a city, Raiden vs. 50 Metal Gear Rays, at once. Hyper speed ninja running across skyscrapers, through office buildings, leaping onto one Ray, decapitating the head, and then leaping onto the next Ray.

This would be ace, the bees knees.

But I want Raiden to go into overdrive before the Solidus battle, because not only will there be a 1v1 Solidus battle, there will be a battle reminiscent of Raiden vs. multiple Metal Gear Rays. This battle will take place in a city, Raiden vs. 50 Metal Gear Rays, at once. Hyper speed ninja running across skyscrapers, through office buildings, leaping onto one Ray, decapitating the head, and then leaping onto the next Ray.

I'm imagining this with Collective Consciousness playing in my head.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm so fucking pissed

I can't get the parry to work in boss battles. At all. I'm playing the second battle with the
AI Dog
and every time I try to either block or parry I just get my shit wrecked. It's not fucking working and I want to throw this controller at Kojimas head. My friend can't get it to work either. It's a pain in the ass and I'm told it works 100% of the time, but we're calling bullshit on that.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm so fucking pissed

I can't get the parry to work in boss battles. At all. I'm playing the second battle with the
AI Dog
and every time I try to either block or parry I just get my shit wrecked. It's not fucking working and I want to throw this controller at Kojimas head. My friend can't get it to work either. It's a pain in the ass and I'm told it works 100% of the time, but we're calling bullshit on that.

I mean, it definitely works. Plenty of people here have no-damaged him (and all bosses/missions) many many times.

You can get parries to work in non-boss battles, though? The timing is trickier for Bladewolf... he's basically a gatekeeper to find out if you've learned how to parry.

Keep in mind that you need to start from neutral and tap towards + weak attack at the same time when an attack is close to hitting Raiden. I'd look on Youtube for some guides. There are also guides in Steam Community. Here's my post for beginners that might help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

xJavonta

Banned
I mean, it definitely works. Plenty of people here have no-damaged him many many times.

You can get parries to work in non-boss battles, though? The timing is trickier for Bladewolf... he's basically a gatekeeper to find out if you've learned how to parry.

I'd look on Youtube for some guides. Keep in mind that you need to start from neutral and tap towards + weak attack at the same time when an attack is close to hitting Raiden. Here's my post for beginners that might help: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266
Only outside of bosses. He's trying to do it now, I'm watching him play and he's got the timing and everything right (or so it seems) it just doesn't seem to work. We either take a ton of damage or get dazed and have to do that stupid analog waggle to fix it. We looked it up on YouTube to make sure we were doing it right and we are. Forward in the direction the attack is coming from at the moment it hits you + X to parry. It just doesn't fucking work in this battle.

I'll read that post now, thanks.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Only outside of bosses. He's trying to do it now, I'm watching him play and he's got the timing and everything right (or so it seems) it just doesn't seem to work. We either take a ton of damage or get dazed and have to do that stupid analog waggle to fix it. We looked it up on YouTube to make sure we were doing it right and we are. Forward in the direction the attack is coming from at the moment it hits you + X to parry. It just doesn't fucking work in this battle.

I'll read that post now, thanks.

Yeah, it has to be towards the enemy (not necessarily the attack)+X. I'm not sure why it's not working for you in the boss battle. Maybe try doing it super early? If you do it earlier rather than later, you'll at least get a block.

You can parry literally every attack that Bladewolf has, including his projectiles.

We either take a ton of damage or get dazed and have to do that stupid analog waggle to fix it.

I'm guessing you're just doing it too late. The window for a regular block is actually quite generous, so try doing the Towards Enemy + X input sooner than you currently are. You'll know you've done it when you see Raiden holding his sword up in the blocking pose. He'll hold it there for about a second, so the timing for blocking an attack is pretty lenient.

xJavonta

Banned
Yeah, it has to be towards the enemy (not necessarily the attack)+X. I'm not sure why it's not working for you. Maybe try doing it super early? If you do it earlier rather than later, you'll at least get a block.
Just to be clear, you can't do it while in ninja run mode right? Your post says from neutral. Because even when we're not moving but have RT held down, towards the enemy + X doesn't work. I'll try it without RT again, but it didn't seem to help last time

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Just to be clear, you can't do it while in ninja run mode right? Your post says from neutral. Because even when we're not moving but have RT held down, towards the enemy + X doesn't work. I'll try it without RT again, but it didn't seem to help last time

You can't parry while ninja running. You CAN be attacking and cancel your (most) attacks into a parry, but you can't be ninja running. Again, try doing it really early, and tap it a few times if you need to until you get the timing down.

Can't do it while Ninja Running, and you can't just be running toward the enemy and press X either. A parry has to be the left stick going from the neutral position to the enemy with a press of X every time, always those two inputs at once.

I wonder if Platinum considered having Zandatsu only refill health instead of both health and energy. It would make energy pastes and sword absorption upgrades a lot more useful. As it is, there's no tradeoff, no reason to ever not blade mode. Maybe they wanted you to do it every chance you get just because it's so satisfying and cool, but it would be nice if Zandatsu scaled with the difficulty, like maybe on hard mode you only got 50% health and no energy.

I like how Raiden says the enemies are vending machines to him and then you do actually treat them like health packs, saving the easy guys for when you're low.

xJavonta

Banned
I'm guessing you're just doing it too late. The window for a regular block is actually quite generous, so try doing the Towards Enemy + X input sooner than you currently are. You'll know you've done it when you see Raiden holding his sword up in the blocking pose. He'll hold it there for about a second, so the timing for blocking an attack is pretty lenient.

You can't parry while ninja running. You CAN be attacking and cancel your (most) attacks into a parry, but you can't be ninja running. Again, try doing it really early, and tap it a few times if you need to until you get the timing down.

Can't do it while Ninja Running, and you can't just be running toward the enemy and press X either. A parry has to be the left stick going from the neutral position to the enemy with a press of X every time, always those two inputs at once.
Holy crap, it works! For me, at least. My friend still can't seem to do it. I'm watching his hands and he only gets it like 50% of the time, despite it looking like his timing is right. However what about the attacks that come from above? Can you not block those or do you have to jump out of the way?

Also, how do you use the health modules? I nearly beat him but was really low on health and one hit killed me.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Holy crap, it works! For me, at least. My friend still can't seem to do it. I'm watching his hands and he only gets it like 50% of the time, despite it looking like his timing is right. However what about the attacks that come from above? Can you not block those or do you have to jump out of the way?

Also, how do you use the health modules? I nearly beat him but was really low on health and one hit killed me.

Attacks from above? You mean his leaping/spinning attacks? They can be parried. I don't think Bladewolf has a single move that you can't parry. He really is a parry tutorial.

To use the Repair Nanopaste, you just need to equip it and it gets used automatically when you lose all health. You can also use it manually, though. Equip it by pressing left or right on the D-pad and selecting it in the first slot.

Overhead attacks are pretty tricky, because once an enemy's off-camera you don't really know which direction to point the stick in. You absolutely can parry them, though. The Ray in the prologue is so big you still have a good idea where he is when he's trying to stomp on you, for example. With smaller enemies like the Gorillas and the Gekkos I prefer to just dodge (it's also worth dodging the Gekko stomp attack rather than parrying, because they get their feet stuck in the ground and give you a one-shot kill prompt). All Blade Wolf's attacks are parryable, though, and he only really has horizontal dives.

For the health items, press right on the D-pad to open the sub-menu, and that'll let you choose your secondary weapon, your sub-weapons (RPGs and grenades) and your recovery item. If you have health items equipped they'll be used automatically when you lose all your health.

xJavonta

Banned
Attacks from above? You mean his leaping/spinning attacks? They can be parried. I don't think Bladewolf has a single move that you can't parry. He really is a parry tutorial.

To use the Repair Nanopaste, you just need to equip it and it gets used automatically when you lose all health. You can also use it manually, though. Equip it by pressing left or right on the D-pad and selecting it in the first slot.
Ahh, okay. That's what I was doing wrong. I had the other nano paste equipped and it wouldn't heal me. Thanks again. Also, turning the sensitivity up to 8 REALLY helps. The default is ridiculously slow, like damn.

Overhead attacks are pretty tricky, because once an enemy's off-camera you don't really know which direction to point the stick in. You absolutely can parry them, though. The Ray in the prologue is so big you still have a good idea where he is when he's trying to stomp on you, for example. With smaller enemies like the Gorillas and the Gekkos I prefer to just dodge (it's also worth dodging the Gekko stomp attack rather than parrying, because they get their feet stuck in the ground and give you a one-shot kill prompt). All Blade Wolf's attacks are parryable, though, and he only really has horizontal dives.

For the health items, press right on the D-pad to open the sub-menu, and that'll let you choose your secondary weapon, your sub-weapons (RPGs and grenades) and your recovery item. If you have health items equipped they'll be used automatically when you lose all your health.
Yeah that was exactly my problem, I had no idea where the analog should face because I couldn't see them. Thank you! Why just dodge though? What benefit on the smaller enemies does it have over parrying?

Yeah that was exactly my problem, I had no idea where the analog should face because I couldn't see them. Thank you! Why just dodge though? What benefit on the smaller enemies does it have over parrying?

Raiden slashes his sword when he dodges, so it's a good way of avoiding an attack while keeping up the pressure on an enemy. You've probably noticed with Blade Wolf that if you just parry an attack he'll bounce off you and land out of attacking range, giving him a chance to attack again. If you dodge his attacks instead you can keep chipping away at him the whole time. There's a neat video of a guy destroying him without ever parrying, just always dodging so he manages to keep Blade Wolf in sword range.

Generally, a perfect parry (which is when Raiden automatically counter attacks after a block) is the best way of taking out an enemy quickly, but the timing's really tight on higher difficulties and I've never been able to pull them off at will. Plus I don't think every attack in the game can be perfect parried, and even if they can a lot of enemies will jump around so much that your counter attack won't hit them. The elite soldiers you'll meet up with soon will actually counter attack your counter attacks, too. It's a good idea to get used to a combination of parrying and dodging, just try it out on various enemies and see what works best for you.

Some enemies will have un-parry-able attacks, too, and those you'll need to either dodge or Ninja Run away from. They're telegraphed by a yellow flash from the enemy (whereas parry-able attacks will flash red), and it's usually a grab move of some kind that you'll need to clack the stick side to side to break out of.

Top Bottom