• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Done with it. Again. Still love is so god damn much. MGR2, Kamiya, please.

Gonna clean up some achievements and then head to the harder difficulties for a bit. Once I get stuck somewhere I'll switch it up with the DLC which I haven't actually played yet. /excited

Gosh darn it. I'm weirdly late for the song rankings.

Well, I guess you're just going to have to take it.

1. I'm My Own Master Now
  2. Rules of Nature
  3. It Has To Be This Way
  4. A Stranger I Remain
  5. The War Still Rages Within
  6. Collective Consciousness
  7. The Hot Wind Blowing
  8. Red Sun
  9. The Stains of Time

Skinpop

a few questinos(pondering a purchase):

How long is a playthrough? I consider myself a fairly skilled gamer.

How about replayability?

Does the game run nice? Are there any game breaking bugs/issues?

Is this like DMC(original series) and other character action games(not the biggest fan) or does it offer something different?

How about replayability?

Is this like DMC(original series) and other character action games(not the biggest fan) or does it offer something different?

A playthrough is about 5-8 hours depending on your skill and how much you explore.

Replayable as all hell. I've already gone through the console version about 7 times and I'm nowhere near tired of the game.

Apparently runs fine, haven't played the PC version yet.

It feels a lot better than DMC. The combat is simpler than DMC3/4 for sure, but nowhere near as dull as a Ninja Theory game for example. It just feels really tactile and it's easier to get into the rhythm of parrying and executing cool shit than it ever was in DMC. MGR is kind of barebones in a way but it's far from feeling boring. There's still a lot of moves and the parrying mechanic is one of the most rewarding things in games. When you put all those positives together it makes you want to attempt a perfect run, which is still devilishly difficult, but at least somewhere in reach for people who aren't willing to dedicate their entire lives to one game.

How about replayability?

Depends on how much time you intend to put in. A normal playthrough will take about 6 hours or so then it's a matter of whether or not you want to tackle the higher difficulties, unlock everything etc. The game is good for at least 3 playthroughs imo

Plenty, lots of stuff to unlock, higher difficulties. It depends on how much you're willing to put in.

It runs at a maximum resolution of 1080p if that bothers you. Given that it runs perfectly fine. Some people have issues with the framerate locking to odd values but there are workarounds that are fairly simple.

It is a character action game although it places more of an emphasis on defense rather than crazy combos.

charsace

I wasn't gonna get this, but I played it on my cousin's surface pro 2 and it runs great. This thing runs on intel integrated graphics no problem. I'm guessing anyone that has a video card that is an nvidia 8600m or better with a multicore processor can run this.

Dahbomb

How about replayability?

7-8 hours first time on Hard even though the in game playtime will list like 3-4 hours.

Game is very replayable because of higher difficulties and New game+ plus VR missions.

Some weird port issues and glitches but still pretty good. Very playable on KB&M as well.

Its not like DMC and its not like other action games. Its really its own action game. There are some mechanics borrowed from other games (a lock on, launcher, Killer Bee dive kick, Stinger, dodge offset) but the flow of the game is very different from all other action games. Its much more ground based, parry heavy and precision based game play. Combo requirement is practically non existent, you just need numerous hits in a combo which is easily attainable with Blade mode mashing.

Permanently A

Okay I need some help.

1. fucking mastiffs
  2. can you perfect parry a mastiff?
  3. FUCKING MASTIFFS
  4. what do you do when a mastiff does an orange unblockable move?
  5. FUCKING MASTIFFS

Am I supposed to deal with the helicopter relying on consumable rockets to get it down for me to wail at it? I don't like it if it is. I really hate consumables on character action games.

Dahbomb

You have to dodge the yellow unblockable. Make sure you have the second skill in the shop purchased.

And yes their red attacks are parry-able (talking about perfect parry here as many people seem to have a regular block confused with an actual parry).

Permanently A

Am I supposed to deal with the helicopter relying on consumable rockets to get it down for me to wail at it? I don't like it if it is. I really hate consumables on character action games.

It will also rush you and you can perfect parry it if you run around in one place deflecting its bullets and parrying/avoiding the rockets.

Dahbomb

You should've purchased the Dive Kick move by now. If not you can just ninja run and then do a long jump towards the Helicopter, slash in the air and go into Blade mode.

sprinkles

7-8 hours first time on Hard even though the in game playtime will list like 3-4 hours.
Man, I must be really bad at this game, Steam says 8 hours (but one hour was figuring out that MGR does not like 2 monitor setups) and I just beat Monsoon on Normal. Still having a blast though and learning new stuff, I never knew that you could block multiple attack during a enemy combo or how to use healing items until that fight .

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Sundowner says that 9/11 served as quite the catalyst for jumpstarting the war economy, ultimately serving as a job creator and giving people something to unite around and fight for. But the original Metal Gear Solid takes place in 2005 and Baker quite clearly says that at the time there's "peace" and as a result his company suffered major losses which is why they started development on Metal Gear as a black project using funds from the Pentagon in the first place.

That's not consistent at all.

Skinpop

Thanks for the answers, looks like a buy :)

Relieved to hear it's more about defense than combos(don't care much for combo mechanics).

Dahbomb

Sounds consistent to me.

MGS1 : Peace time, war companies showing deficit, Metal Gear program started.

MGS2 : Around 9/11 time. War economy goes into overdrive due to 9/11 and nanomachines take over.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Huh... just played this in my big TV and HT, and I could only get a max of 24fps per Fraps. I played another game and I got perfect 60fps. If I play in my PC monitor I also get 60FPS in this game but not on my TV.Wut

Sounds consistent to me.

MGS2 : Around 9/11 time. War economy goes into overdrive due to 9/11 and nanomachines take over.

I think he's saying that MGS1 should have been in 9/11 time, because it takes place in 2005. Mgs2 takes place in 2009.

Sub_Level

Sounds consistent to me.

Wut

No, Shadow Moses is 2005. That was supposedly "peace time". MGS2 is 2007 and 2009.

I just feel like they could've referenced the Manhattan incident instead of 9/1, since in MGS4 that's what supposedly kicks things into gear anyway plus you avoid being inconsistent with MGS1.

I mean Liquid's whole insurrection is based around the idea that soldiers like him no longer had a place. If the war economy was supposedly already in full swing by then, then that doesn't really hold true.

I think he's saying that MGS1 should have been in 9/11 time, because it takes place in 2005. Mgs2 takes place in 2009.

Yeah but can't blame Kojima for not having that kind of foresight in 1998. Rising is the one that has the small mess-up.

Dahbomb

Yea probably. I guess they should retcon the date of 9/11 in the Metal Gear universe.

For some reason I always assumed that Manhattan incident and 9/11 happened around the same time in the MGS universe.

Sub_Level

Yea probably. I guess they should retcon the date of 9/11 in the Metal Gear universe.

That would be ideal. But I guess the Rising guys wanted to make the game sound more relevant. It's crazy how Arsenal crashing into Manhattan already kind of serves the same role as 9/11. Game came out months after too.

No Love

Banned
Wut

No, Shadow Moses is 2005. That was supposedly "peace time". MGS2 is 2007 and 2009.

I just feel like they could've referenced the Manhattan incident instead of 9/1, since in MGS4 that's what supposedly kicks things into gear anyway plus you avoid being inconsistent with MGS1.

I mean Liquid's whole insurrection is based around the idea that soldiers like him no longer had a place. If the war economy was supposedly already in full swing by then, then that doesn't really hold true.

Yeah but can't blame Kojima for not having that kind of foresight in 1998. Rising is the one that has the small mess-up.

Its fine. Remember that MGS takes place in a parallel universe to ours. So in their world, 9/11 might not have occurred til after MGS2.

Wow, the spanish subtitles are ATROCIOUS. Just played until level 4 and had to stop the game, go to the menu, and change them to english.

Between some words in latin american spanish like if they had been using google translator, some incredibly bad language errors and even some outright invented lines that have no meaning with what the characters are talking about it feels like Konami contracted 3 monkeys to do the translation work, in fact, I take that back, 1 monkey, Im sure 3 would have made a better translation than this piece of shit.

We have come long ways since the magnificent work they did translating AND dubbing (magnificent one) into spanish with Metal Gear Solid 1, to not dubbing them any more, to this garbage translation.

Fuck you Konami.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Fuck you Blade Wofl... but thank you... for you have taught me how to fucking parry and be a bitching badass

Okay I need some help.

1. fucking mastiffs
  2. can you perfect parry a mastiff?
  3. FUCKING MASTIFFS
  4. what do you do when a mastiff does an orange unblockable move?
  5. FUCKING MASTIFFS

2. Yes you can.
4. For the mastiffs, or any bosses or enemies for that matter, you can use the dodge button combination. I think on PS3 it is x+■.

Zom

Banned
I cant fucking pass trough the first time the
senator throws me parts of the giant robot
, I just cant manage the two cameras quick enough to cut the damm things. I'm rage quiting now.

GrizzNKev

Banned
This game has ruined my home life.

My roommate, who we'll classify as non-communicative and having issues, has been playing this game incessantly since its release. He doesn't own a controller and has been clicking frantically with no sense of the game's fighting style or mechanics for multiple 3-5 hour sessions each day. His progress in the game is extremely slow.

Yeah, constant, ultra fast mouse button mashing. It's giving me headaches. I love this game, but fuck this game.

Levyne

Banned
I can't imagine having to play this at 24....yuck. Hopefully we see the support (it seems that way) so people don't have circle through the various home remedies to fix it depending on their display.

TGMIII

I cant fucking pass trough the first time the
senator throws me parts of the giant robot
, I just cant manage the two cameras quick enough to cut the damm things. I'm rage quiting now.

Just ninja run past it. Otherwise just learn to react quick enough, you're given plenty of time.

Momentary

Banned
My perfect parries are almost perfect... coupled with frame cancelling, Hard is starting to get pretty easy. I hear that once you get perfect parries down, Revengeance isn't near as difficult.

Should I not bother with S ranking everything until going to revengeance difficulty. Is there any reason to do it on any other difficulty?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Blade Wolf is awesome to learn. is when the game clicked with me. Also when I found a way to turn the game from 24Hz to 60Hz, so that also helped.

I put it in windowed mode and it fixed the problem but it seems to be taking some GPU power away. I am getting framedrops in my 670, although I do have MSAA cranked to 8x, but in Fullscreen in the PC monitor that never happened/

Arsenic13

Mods and tweaks I'd like to see:

• HD Texture Pack.
  • Cut marks on walls and such. A small but neat cosmetic tweak so slices walls show scratches.
  • MG2 Raiden skin.
  • ENB? I wouldn't decline if it looked good.
  • Larger FOV.
  • Remove the item select screen delay.
  • Play as Sam in Raiden's campaign.
  • Turbo mode? (more enemies per area)

Anteater

for cosmetic, they just need to remove the shit grain filter, add higher res for downsampling and the game will probably look good with some color correction

Top Bottom