• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

What are the tradeoffs when slicing somebody up in blade mode between pulling out their spine and getting your health back to picking whatever they drop (which still gives some health back) if you don't ?

Parfait

I have the same problem as he does and its not overscan. Even when its set to 0 it has black borders.
Oh i forgot.

If you have overscan set to 0% and still have black borders check your TV settings. Sometimes there's a setting that's like 'zoom, wide, full,' or something like that. I'll take a picture in a bit of my tv with it but it's different for most TVs.

Anteater

hmm, didn't like the monsoon fight that much, felt kind of gimmicky and he doesn't really have much moves.

I think I like the bigger areas better so far, less camera issues

I really suck at this game, and I'm playing in Normal. I just found out I can lock on, lol. I don't get it sometimes. When I fight the rays, sometimes I could kill them quick(Get a prompt)Or I have to slice mode their ass. I'm loving the challenge and I'm no noob to the genre, but the parry feels random at times. Is their a meter I'm not aware of? Or I just keep inputting it wrong?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
What are the tradeoffs when slicing somebody up in blade mode between pulling out their spine and getting your health back to picking whatever they drop (which still gives some health back) if you don't ?

Zandatsu(pulling cores after slashing weakpoints) gives you full health and battery recharge

Picking cores up off of the floor damages them, so it only partially recovers each gauge.

Wait, getting the electrolytes hurts your score? or leaving them does?

It doesn't really have any influence passed a certain point, unless you care about numerical scoring in this game.

Passed the goal for each ranked encounter the number of Zandatsu's you pull off doesn't really matter. So any less and you're missing max points for that category, and anymore and you're just wasting time really.(which is also a category for ranking)

Squire

Banned
A successful Zandatsu includes absorbing the juices and they configure to your score.

Okay, that's what I thought.

I finished the Monsoon battle last night. I freaking love this game. Playing on Normal and the balance is just right. I just love everything about it. It's easily already my favorite action game of last gen, but I still need to play Bayonetta.

I always played the demos for PGs games, but never followed through for one reason or another (despite loving Clover!), but after Vanquish and Rising, I'm gonna be on whatever they do next day one.

antitrop

GRAD boss fight on first time Hard is a really cheap fight. Camera works against you and the whole fight is littered with destructible objects that not only hinder your mobility and view point but also results in off screen hits and free damage. Also at that point the boss takes a lot of hits to bring down because normally people don't have their sword damage upgraded as its still early. This was easily the fight I had the most trouble with starting it.

Right after that mission you fight two of those but since it was an open area both I was able to take down on my first time. Same for whenever that enemy popped up again. The area you fight the boss in for the first time is legitimatelt awful right in the territory of cheap.

I agree, I had a pretty hard time with the first GRAD, but in the next level I cleaned up the two at one time with no issue.

I really suck at this game, and I'm playing in Normal. I just found out I can lock on, lol. I don't get it sometimes. When I fight the rays, sometimes I could kill them quick(Get a prompt)Or I have to slice mode their ass. I'm loving the challenge and I'm no noob to the genre, but the parry feels random at times. Is their a meter I'm not aware of? Or I just keep inputting it wrong?

A lot of the enemies have special moves that'll let you take them out really quickly. With the Gekkos (smaller Metal Gears that moo), if you parry their charge move (you'll see them drop their heads and paw at the ground like bulls), you'll get a QTE that will stun them immediately and give you a Y+B prompt to Zandatsu them. Also if you manage to dodge the move where they try and stomp on you with one foot, they'll get their foot stuck in the ground and you'll get a B button prompt to kill them. It's really helpful, because Gekkos jump around so much that they're a pain to just hack away at until they go down.

There's no parry meter, and it is totally reliable, you just have to get better at it. Make sure you're always pushing the stick towards the enemy that's attacking, and keep in mind that it's always a stick input and a button press at the same time. In other words, you can't just hold the stick towards an enemy and mash the X button; you have to be pushing the stick and pressing the button every time. Also be aware that some attacks aren't parry-able. These are signalled by a yellow flash from the attacker (whereas regular, parry-able attacks will have a red flash). They're usually grab moves, and you have to dodge them.

Anteater

I agree, I had a pretty hard time with the first GRAD, but in the next level I cleaned up the two at one time with no issue.

I actually thought the later ones have less hp/defense or something because they died so much quicker =o or I guess the sword upgrade really did help

A lot of the enemies have special moves that'll let you take them out really quickly. With the Gekkos (smaller Metal Gears that moo), if you parry their charge move (you'll see them drop their heads and paw at the ground like bulls), you'll get a QTE that will stun them immediately and give you a Y+B prompt to Zandatsu them. Also if you manage to dodge the move where they try and stomp on you with one foot, they'll get their foot stuck in the ground and you'll get a B button prompt to kill them. It's really helpful, because Gekkos jump around so much that they're a pain to just hack away at until they go down.

There's no parry meter, and it is totally reliable, you just have to get better at it. Make sure you're always pushing the stick towards the enemy that's attacking, and keep in mind that it's always a stick input and a button press at the same time. In other words, you can't just hold the stick towards an enemy and mash the X button; you have to be pushing the stick and pressing the button every time. Also be aware that some attacks aren't parry-able. These are signalled by a yellow flash from the attacker (whereas regular, parry-able attacks will have a red flash). They're usually grab moves, and you have to dodge them.

Thanks for the info. The flashes makes sense now. I thought it was because I was locked on. Now I'm really hype to play the game in a few with this new info.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
GRAD boss fight on first time Hard is a really cheap fight. Camera works against you and the whole fight is littered with destructible objects that not only hinder your mobility and view point but also results in off screen hits and free damage. Also at that point the boss takes a lot of hits to bring down because normally people don't have their sword damage upgraded as its still early. This was easily the fight I had the most trouble with starting it.

Right after that mission you fight two of those but since it was an open area both I was able to take down on my first time. Same for whenever that enemy popped up again. The area you fight the boss in for the first time is legitimatelt awful right in the territory of cheap.

Actually the first Grad you fight is stronger than every other Grad in the game.

You can't really tell until Very Hard/Revengeance, where you fight it alongside another Grad and can compare the endurance and damage output side by side.

So if you think that fight is dumb now! lol

Protip though you can stun lock Grads with Dystopia. I think the fight is kind since it's one of the few fights where you can mess around with Evade Cancelling and dodge offset, but I'm not trying to deal with that on anything above hard. Wig EMP abuse/Dystopia stunlocking all day

Serra

Just played through the prologue. Had to drop to 4x MSAA to get it to stay at 60. It was dropping to 50 during the RAY fight and 40 in Zandatsu.

I really hope this does well and it sends a message to Konami and PG that bringing their games to the PC is profitable.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm, I drop out of the game when I try to increase the resolution in video options..

Blinck

"Elementary, my dear Raiden"

The dialogue in this game is absolutely wtf. It's so cheesy and over the top at such strange times that it makes for some really funny moments

Regiruler

It's because the pill mode is pain in the ass.

I only figured out I had to parry the slam after 2 nanopastes I think.

The dialogue in this game is absolutely wtf. It's so cheesy and over the top at such strange times that it makes for some really funny moments

Doktor is the best character by far. I would have blade-wolf as second but he's so (naturally) off-putting at times. I like Kevin for some reason though.

antitrop

The cutscene before the Monsoon fight is now one of my all-time favorite gaming cutscenes, right up there with Dante getting Alastor in DMC1.

Regiruler

Actually the first Grad you fight is stronger than every other Grad in the game.

You can't really tell until Very Hard/Revengeance, where you fight it alongside another Grad and can compare the endurance and damage output side by side.

So if you think that fight is dumb now! lol

Protip though you can stun lock Grads with Dystopia. I think the fight is kind since it's one of the few fights where you can mess around with Evade Cancelling and dodge offset, but I'm not trying to deal with that on anything above hard. Wig EMP abuse/Dystopia stunlocking all day
You don't get dystopia in your first playthough until after the GRAD fight though, so it's still a pain in the ass.

Seik

Banned

''A ninja? Cowabunga! Go ninja go ninja go!'' Cracks me up every single time. :)

legacyzero

Banned
Question.

I'm just now able to play this today (FINALLY), because of my procedure. Did a fix ever get released for higher resolutions at all?

EDIT: and holy crap, why is this taking so long to update?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

That scared stance. That nervous look in your eye. Those are rookie eyes if I ever saw them.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Goddamn this game is the SHIT! Playing on Hard, just feeling my way through, when suddenly everything clicked and next thing I'm perfect parrying and ripping off spines like nobody's business. The flow of combat, that rythm. Sooooo good. And yes, Hard seems like the way to go. The smaller parry window makes it all the more rewarding.

antitrop

when suddenly everything clicked and next thing I'm perfect parrying and ripping off spines like nobody's business. The flow of combat, that rythm. Sooooo good. And yes, Hard seems like the way to go. The smaller parry window makes it all the more rewarding.

This happened to me last night in the Denver level. It was a Zen experience.

Dr Dogg

Some of the paraphrasing is just that right kind of cheese.

Sundowner's "All we are saying, is give war a chance" had me chuckling the first time I heard it. John Lennon I'm sure wouldn't be pleased.

Wouldn't be a Platinum game if the camera didn't put as much of a fight to you as the enemies.

Getting the hang of things now, especially since it seems you can still cancel almost anything into a parry.

sueil

For some reason I am finding Very Hard with a bunch of upgrades much easier than Hard was. Wig B with infinite ripper mode is so powerful.

0DMYRxn.gif

My body is ready.

You're god damn right I'm going to S rank Revengeance difficulty again..!

So much win in that gif!

Arsenic13

Metal Gear Ray on Hard in Sam's DLC is no fucking joke. Instant laser beams, continual headbutts. If Raiden had to face Sam's modified Ray he'd be lying on the floor wimpering, jesus christ. (Though Raiden's a better parryer than Sam, apparently, cos Sam seems to have a massive vulnerability window after his parries - he's better off dodging)

Honestly, the Ray was way harder than the final boss in Sam's DLC. Jesus christ. (Though I had nanopaste for the final boss)

I took out Ray on Hard in 2-3 tried. As for the last boss, hahaha. Nope.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Got it working now, already after prologue and first two bosses I have a feeling I'll have to edit my goty list. :D

Regiruler

What exactly does the glowing diamond mean in AR mode anyway? Is that the squad leader?

Does killing him actually dissipate the undermooks?

zainetor

Banned
It's pure. No tricks, no mindgames, no agendas. I guess that's boring for some people. I thought it was pretty great.

yep. I love rival fights, they're the best: Gene vs Azel, bayonetta vs jeanne, joe vs alastor, leon vs krauser ecc. There's something special about them.

playing yesterday I catched a codec call I' ve never listened on consoles. on denver's rooftops, Talking about sliders, Raiden said: yeah, snake had a lot of problems with them in eastern europe...

Dem references.

Volcynika

Beat it on consoles but playing through it again. I love how high octane the Monsoon fight is. Parrying everything with the music aw yiss.

Top Bottom