• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

antitrop

Hey, never say never. Down the line, the Wii U will become cheaper and cheaper and it'll be easier to make that buy... unless you just hate Nintendo or something.

No, lol, I certainly don't hate Nintendo. I just don't really want to buy a console for two games. By time the WiiU is a price that I feel like paying for it, I might not want to go back to those two games. So, we'll see.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
No, lol, I certainly don't hate Nintendo. I just don't really want to buy a console for two games. By time the WiiU is a price that I feel like paying for it, I might not want to go back to those two games. So, we'll see.

Yeah, I hear you. I know a lot of people were never going to buy Gamecubes, but once those hit $30, they were worth buying for an old game or two.

I know Bayonetta 2 will be a timeless classic. So, I will buy it. It's just a matter of when.

antitrop

Yeah, I hear you. I know a lot of people were never going to buy Gamecubes, but once those hit $30, they were worth buying for an old game or two.

Yeah, I picked up a used GameCube for about $50 right before Resident Evil 4 came out, and that was really the only game I played on it. Well, that and REmake. Hoping for a similar circumstance in the future.

If people say that TW101 is actually better than Rising, I need to see it. And in Kamiya I trust.

RangerBAD

This is how I feel about it too. I have no doubt I'd love both of those games, but I can't just buy a console for two games (did it once before and regretted it).

This final boss...

I need a fucking breather. I am getting just as angry as with Sundowner. I'm screaming and grunting like I never have before.

My favorite boss fight has definitely been Monsoon. It was just so damn awesome to play. Mistral has the best theme, though. So good <3

antitrop

This final boss...

I need a fucking breather. I am getting just as angry as with Sundowner. I'm screaming and grunting like I never have before.

My favorite boss fight has definitely been Monsoon. It was just so damn awesome to play. Mistral has the best theme, though. So good <3
Once someone told me that you could cut the debris to get Nanopastes, I beat it on my first try. He's actually really easy once you get those, or so I thought. Easy and awesome.

legacyzero

Banned
Roll credits.

i5nHDciBceWnC.gif

DAMN good game. DAMN GOOD.

Kinda brings me back to the PS2 days, where games had some complexity, and felt rewarding. Few games these days enable you to enjoy this kind of good cheese in a lactose intolerant world of games.

Raiden is an EXCELLENT character now that hes established, and Quintin Flynn does a great job, better than before. When he goes Ripper mode with that grizzled voice, he really does sound like a madman.

The over the top action goes beyond your normal Metal Gear game, and it creates some of the most impressive moments in a game. Boss fights are creative, challenging, and rewarding.

Man, what a game.

Anteater

I actually like the dialogues/story more than I thought I would, it was straight to the point and no bullshit, and I like the humor :p

Once someone told me that you could cut the debris to get Nanopastes, I beat it on my first try. He's actually really easy once you get those, or so I thought. Easy and awesome.
Out of ten or so tries, I've made it to the debris twice. I can't align my slice in time and I'm super low on health by that point because fuck this boss and my skills. Then it's just Game Over.
I only remember Mistral's theme and the normal fight music.

Mistral's theme is still playing in my head, it was great!
Best part of it is when the lyrics kick in.

New Save Revengeance Run going pretty well, just got to beat Armstrong. I have no health items so every move is a one hit kill and because I am on Revengeance without the upgraded Muramasa so every hit does like .2% of his health (and Sky High does like .7%), but ill get him done next time I boot up the game. Just got to get him down to 150 and then the fight pretty much works itself out (get the health items, and whenever he does the special grabs that knock your sword away - if you do the QTE right it does like parry-equivalent damage to him for some reason).

zainetor

Banned
Out of ten or so tries, I've made it to the debris twice. I can't align my slice in time and I'm super low on health by that point because fuck this boss and my skills. Then it's just Game Over.
Best part of it is when the lyrics kick in.

You dont need to cut all 4 squares. It's fine even if you center 3 or maybe 2, I don't remember exactly.

Sigh, just can;t beat Armstrong no matter how hard I try, I need med packs. Guess I need to go back and redo chapters and collect a couple. Had a great time on Hard but Armstong is really hampering my enjoyment :(

Still really enjoying the game, but Bayonetta definately has the superior combat system.

legacyzero

Banned
Sigh, just can;t beat Armstrong no matter how hard I try, I need med packs. Guess I need to go back and redo chapters and collect a couple. Had a great time on Hard but Armstong is really hampering my enjoyment :(

I had the same problem. If you can only get to the part where he jumps up and starts throwing shit at you, and you make perfect cuts, he'll drop a few right there. The battle was easy for me after that.

Pro-tip. NINJA RUN LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER.

Dahbomb

New Save Revengeance Run going pretty well, just got to beat Armstrong. I have no health items so every move is a one hit kill and because I am on Revengeance without the upgraded Muramasa so every hit does like .2% of his health (and Sky High does like .7%), but ill get him done next time I boot up the game. Just got to get him down to 150 and then the fight pretty much works itself out (get the health items, and whenever he does the special grabs that knock your sword away - if you do the QTE right it does like parry-equivalent damage to him for some reason).
Armstrong and Excelsius are such grind on V Hard/Revengeance without upgrades. I have done a no upgrade V Hard run on consoles but not Revengeance... got too bored with the V Hard run to bother again everything took forever to kill. Would be better in Revengeance when your parry does over 9000 damage but not all bosses are parry vulnerable especially not Armstrong.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, I picked up like 2 or 3 health packs after the debris and handled it after that.

Would have been easier if I had stopped his healing, haha.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Still really enjoying the game, but Bayonetta definately has the superior combat system.

Cutting the debris will drop nanopastes. Pick them up, call Courtney, and save. If you die, you'll restart with those nanopastes in your inventory.

Also, if you're really having trouble, just run from the debris. You literally need to just ninja run towards him.

Don't give up! Just remember to make use of the dodge move. If you keep your offense up he will stagger.

You need to not be afraid of him, offensive defense is your best friend and getting the cutting section right, you'll get full nanopaste from beating it.

Permanently A

He will drop medpacks once he throws the truck at you, if you can successfully slice it you'll get a couple.

I did the same thing. Went back through chapter two, fought Mistral to relax, collected some nanopaste and upgraded my sword. Armstrong still took a ton of tries but beating his ass was so rewarding.

I don't really agree that Bayonetta has a better combat system. The fact that witch time takes mana really kills most of my enjoyment of the game and is the reason why I can't just dedicate myself to a second playthrough.

Armstrong and Excelsius are such grind on V Hard/Revengeance without upgrades. I have done a no upgrade V Hard run on consoles but not Revengeance... got too bored with the V Hard run to bother again everything took forever to kill. Would be better in Revengeance when your parry does over 9000 damage but not all bosses are parry vulnerable especially not Armstrong.

As someone who has just gone through New save Revengeance, I have had no real huge roadblocks until the Senator, who I don't see as insurmountable or anything. All of the fights go fairly fast on Revengeance and the only bosses that cannot be parried are Sundowner (I think?, he is so easy I never really bothered experimenting, he has like 2 moves he does in first form over and over), Metal Gear Excelsus (once again, super easy and pretty fast to go through). Armstrong is a pain though. In general it feels balanced as long as you have good knowledge of everything in the game.

This amount of enemy health without the parry damage buff sounds obnoxious though, I probably won't be doing this with VH anytime soon.

Dahbomb

Sundowner can be parried in both forms. One of his multi strikes can be parried similar to Sam.

On Armstrong you get good damage on him on higher difficulties if you win his QTEs. You even get good damage for him on doing his debris QTE on Revengeance. That's like the only way to do Parry damage on him on Revengeance, aside from that its a massive grind.

Neiteio

Mistral is my waifu but the actual fight is pretty boring. The only thing keeping you on your toes is her goons and that's kind of cheap design imo

If I had to rank the Desperado boss fights I'd go

1. Armstrong
  2. Sam
  3. Monsoon
  4. Mistral
  5. Sundowner

Stranger I Remain is the best boss track though
after It Has To Be This Way obviously
Oh man, I love the Mistral fight. I constantly flip back and forth between Mistral on one side and the Dwarf Gekkos on the other. Raiden's animations are just so good, the way he'll cartwheel backwards, land in a crouch and stab backwards into a Dward Gekko without turning his head, before pirouetting forward like a whirling dervish into Mistral, his blade repeatedly hitting hers. The second phase, where they fight in 2D on the pipe, is an amazing showcase of all of this. And then when you fight in the burning refinery, the spectacle is just lovely, repeatedly blocking Mistral as she speeds around the arena, or sliding past her projectiles, or slicing through the columns as you fend off the Dwarf Gekkos with everything exploding around you. And the music, of course, is simply incredible.

I found the Sundowner fight to be surprisingly underwhelming. He was pretty passive when I fought him, willing to mostly just hang back and put his shield up and not a whole lot else.

He gets more aggressive once you cut them all off and the lyrics kick in but people usually miss that part by not cutting all of shield pieces off.
Yeah, Sundowner doesn't show his true colors unless you fully disable his shield. His shield is a bit tough to crack, so I guess I'm not surprised many people end up taking him down by continually side-stepping him and hitting him from behind. But I always try to disable his shield, so that the lyrics kick in. I think he starts swinging the massive columns at you, as well.

Sundowner can be parried in both forms. One of his multi strikes can be parried similar to Sam.

On Armstrong you get good damage on him on higher difficulties if you win his QTEs. You even get good damage for him on doing his debris QTE on Revengeance. That's like the only way to do Parry damage on him on Revengeance, aside from that its a massive grind.

Armstrong on the Sam DLC Revengeance is a true grind, at least that trophy for no damaging him (which I foolishly did on Revengeance). Every time his new move in that DLC would glitch out and cause him to go wildly spinning I would get so mad.

wsippel

Banned
It's unbelievable. After my game froze during the last QTE against Armstrong, it's apparently completely broken now. Hitting the trigger to enter blade mode during the final QTE does nothing. No reaction whatsoever, the QTE always fails. And it only happens during this one QTE, it works during regular gameplay and in the QTE where he throws shit at you. Restarting the game didn't help either. I've beaten this asshole at least a dozen times now, I just can't finish the game. What. The. Fuck.

TnK

Any fix for the 50 FPS issue? Borderless window mod causes this really strange aliasing to the graphics even at 8xMSAA.

The Senator on the Sam DLC Revengeance is a true grind, at least that trophy for no damaging him (which I foolishly did on Revengeance). Every time his new move in that DLC would glitch out and cause him to go wildly spinning I would get so mad.
For sam DLC, you MUST taunt the bosses. You do a ton more damage that way. That's how this DLC works.

Neiteio

Cutting people up, that's why. You should try Karas too.
Oh wow, Karas. I remember I bought the DVD for the first volume back in college. The crow-themed Power Ranger-like fellow who can turn into vehicles and deals with the Japanese spirit/folklore world in a crazy-colorful Japan-at-Christmastime setting.

How was the second half of that? There were only two volumes, right? Did they maintain the production values of the first half and end up achieving some sort of cohesive plot?

Top Bottom