• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Prodigal Murder indeed
DH26Klq.jpg

Hold on, there's dents and stuff on the Muramasa? That is so damn cool.

Alright, I have been playing this for an hour or two and it's exactly as spectacular and silly and awesome as I'd hoped. However, I don't think I really understand how the combat works. Could someone please explain some things to me?

- Sometimes enemies or objects have a light blue overlay. What does this mean?
- Sometimes enemies have an arrow pointing towards them with some Japanese letter or emblem. What does this mean?
- What does 'FC' mean, and what is 'zandatsu'?
- Doktor asked me to cut off left arms to collect ID tags. I think I've been doing this, but I can't find how many I've collected (if at all) and where I can trade them for upgrades. Or do only specific enemies have ID tags?

TnK

Alright, I have been playing this for an hour or two and it's exactly as spectacular and silly and awesome as I'd hoped. However, I don't think I really understand how the combat works. Could someone please explain some things to me?

- Sometimes enemies have an arrow pointing towards them with some Japanese letter or emblem. What does this mean?
-What does 'FC' mean, and what is 'zandatsu'?
- Doktor asked me to cut off left arms to collect ID tags. I think I've been doing this, but I can't find how many I've collected (if at all) and where I can trade them for upgrades. Or do only specific enemies have ID tags?

Anything light blue means it can be cut, same with the tiny japanese text. The tiny japanese text actually says zandatsu, and it means using blade mode to rip out the blue organ. Only specefic enemies with light blue glowing hands can be used for upgrades. Use AR vision to figure them out.

Cross-posting: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96854426&postcount=1011

METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE PC porting team:

Director: Kenji Saito
Producer: Masami Narita

Lead Programmer: Hiroshi Takahashi
Programmers: Yuji Hagiyama, Naofumi Ueno ALVION Inc.

UI Artists: Hisayoshi Kijima, Erika Kuga

Graphics Programmers: Ryouichi Takahashi

Translator: Andrew Brasher

Special Thanks: 7 peeps, but they shouldn't matter.

So basically the core porting team was: 1 lead programmer + 2 programmers + 1 graphics programmer = 4 people.

That's like, nothing and the end result is pretty good. Bring on Bayo.

With taunting, he goes down in less than two minutes if you use your charge attacks right. Not really a grind.

I know. He is not that hard to just beat. It is just that no damaging him is tedious because that new move he uses can be super fucked sometimes. I guess "grind" is the wrong term to use for it. Just fucked. Otherwise, the Sam DLC is really great!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

- What does 'FC' mean, and what is 'zandatsu'?

Here's my post for beginners that answers some of your questions:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96659879&postcount=3266

FC = Fuel Cell Gauge. This is what you use for Blade Mode in order to get Zandatsu.

You can see how many ID tag arms you've selected in the Collection on the main menu, I believe. After you've collected enough arms, things automatically get added to your Customize menu. Enemies with arms will have a small flashing box on them in AR mode (up on d-pad).

Sykotik

This means they can be cut in blade mode.

I believe this means they have a segment that is armor broken and can be cut in blade-mode.

Fuel Cell. This is used for Blade-Mode. Zandatsu is when you rip out the spine of an enemy.

Specific enemies have the I.D.s. You can see which ones have it by pressing Up on the DPAD to activate AR view, it shows up as a green flashing diamond.

I hope someone manages to get access to the texture files because as much as I love Gray Fox I was always partial to his secondary color scheme:

red_ninja_metal_gear_biu6u.jpg

Anything light blue means it can be cut, same with the tiny japanese text. The tiny japanese text actually says zandatsu, and it means using blade mode to rip out the blue organ. Only specefic enemies with light blue glowing hands can be used for upgrades. Use AR vision to figure them out.

Thanks! EDIT: and the other answers too!

One more thing: what exactly determines wether blade mode will be the 'normal' version (where you can only control the direction of your slashes) or the 'special' version that slows down time and allows you to slice enemies apart and take their electrolytes? I know it uses the special version after you kill an enemy, or when you do a special execution or stealth kill, but it also activates on other times. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Does it use the special version if I'm near a 'zandatsuable' enemy? Is that it?

Guess Who

Banned

It means you can go into blade mode and cut those parts off. So if an enemy's arms are blue, you can cut off their arms. If their whole body is blue, chop them to bits!

It means you can Zandatsu them.

FC is fuel cells - the energy for your blade mode meter, the one below your health. Only when this is full enough to be glowing blue (or later, red), you can go into slow motion when you use blade mode. Zandatsu is going into blade mode, cutting an enemy's spine out, and grabbing it to replenish your health and FC.

Doktor asked me to cut off left arms to collect ID tags. I think I've been doing this, but I can't find how many I've collected (if at all) and where I can trade them for upgrades. Or do only specific enemies have ID tags?

Only certain enemies have them - you'll see their left arms glow in blade mode if they do. They unlock wigs only after you beat the game, which are basically cheats (infinite blade mode, infinite sub weapon ammo, etc.). You can view how many IDs you've collected on the main menu under Collection.

RangerBAD

Oh wow, Karas. I remember I bought the DVD for the first volume back in college. The crow-themed Power Ranger-like fellow who can turn into vehicles and deals with the Japanese spirit/folklore world in a crazy-colorful Japan-at-Christmastime setting.

How was the second half of that? There were only two volumes, right? Did they maintain the production values of the first half and end up achieving some sort of cohesive plot?

It was awesome throughout, but I don't remember all the story details or anything. I don't know how many volumes it was, but there were six episodes.

This game seems to be selling pretty well on PC? High on the top sellers since launch, high activity in the Steam forum, was in the daily deal during Christmas. I have to assume it has made a profit already.

Dahbomb

I played the Sam DLC on consoles and I thought it wasn't that hard. His charge moves are really strong, mid tier enemies don't stand a chance.

Hypron

Any fix for the 50 FPS issue? Borderless window mod causes this really strange aliasing to the graphics even at 8xMSAA.

For sam DLC, you MUST taunt the bosses. You do a ton more damage that way. That's how this DLC works.

Not blade wolf though. Parrying him is more efficient IMO.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I played the Sam DLC on consoles and I thought it wasn't that hard. His charge moves are really strong, mid tier enemies don't stand a chance.

It's the change in playstyle and the more aggressive enemies that throw people off. His regular attacks are way weaker than Raiden's (which makes sense), so people that try to play him like Raiden get blown up.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
This final boss is so fucking stupid, time to see if there is a trainer out there.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Thanks! EDIT: and the other answers too!

One more thing: what exactly determines wether blade mode will be the 'normal' version (where you can only control the direction of your slashes) or the 'special' version that slows down time and allows you to slice enemies apart and take their electrolytes? I know it uses the special version after you kill an enemy, or when you do a special execution or stealth kill, but it also activates on other times. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Does it use the special version if I'm near a 'zandatsuable' enemy? Is that it?

You can only enter slow-mo Blade Mode if your FC Gauge is blue (full). It also gives you gauge for free if you do a stealth kill or a special button prompt on stunned enemies. Your gauge will drain as you're in the mode, however a successful Zandatsu will completely replenish both your FC gauge and your health.

This final boss is so fucking stupid, time to see if there is a trainer out there.

What part is giving you trouble? The final boss really isn't bad, and a lot of people have given good advice the past couple pages.

Miker

I'm surprised people are having *that* much trouble with the final boss, especially after Sundowner. Although I guess players could've skipped the cutting phase for him. Regardless, Armstrong definitely took me the longest, but mainly because I wasn't abusing the dodge enough, and I couldn't figure out how to break his healing (I tried to cut the beam, and not his back).

I get the feeling that people who have huge trouble with the Senator are probably people who went through the game without using the dodge move a lot (or maybe even at all). I guess I can't blame them, its never really required on your first playthrough even though its absurdly useful and powerful. Platinum probably should have been more upfront and started the player with the move and had it right along the parry tutorial.

joe2187

Banned
Hold on, there's dents and stuff on the Muramasa? That is so damn cool.

Sams blade is called the Murasama.

The reason that was given that it's called this is that it was an ancient sword handed down through the generations of the rodriguez family, however they're not Japanese so the Rodriguez's fugged up the translation. Thus, Murasama.

If I want to block bullets, do I HAVE to be running?

I figured I could just hold the Ninja Run Trigger and he'd deflect the bullets, even if not running.. I don't think that's the case though.

Fighting that helicopter was a pain in the ass.. Camera and controls just seem a bit janky. I was canceling the missiles by parrying, but the bullets would still hit.. It flew off as soon as I ran up to it, and since the platforms were all destroyed, there was no way I could just run up and hit it. I had to retry so that the platforms came back, and got its health down much quicker that way.. Problem was that the quick time type thing that was telling me to Ninja Run the missiles kept popping up, .. either while I was already ninja running or it'd pop up and it just didn't work as intended.. It's hard to go to loose but demanding gameplay like this after playing nothing but Dark Souls for so long, which is always precise and understood.

I felt a bit like a badass taking on that jaguar AI thing though, once I understood his attack patterns.

So I feel like I could really get into this game, but I want to understand it well, and not be frustrated when things aren't working as I think they ought to be working.

Up until a little while ago, I thought the red flash on an enemy meant it was time to attempt a parry... but that simply indicates an enemy is going to be attacking in the next 1-5 seconds or more.. it's not what I though it was. .. Sort of wish this stuff was spelled out a bit more.

The window to block is huge, but the window for doing a parry attack is difficult to figure out.

Question... What's the difference between a red flash on an enemy and a yellow flash on an enemy?

Sams blade is called the Murasama.

The reason that was given that it's called this is that it was an ancient sword handed down through the generations of the rodriguez family, however they're not Japanese so the Rodriguez's fugged up the translation. Thus, Murasama.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

I even checked the goddamn wiki!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
If I want to block bullets, do I HAVE to be running?

Yes, you have to be Ninja Running. Though you can also parry bullets.

Question... What's the difference between a red flash on an enemy and a yellow flash on an enemy?

Yellow (orange?) flash usually indicates an unblockable attack that you need to dodge. The dodge, defensive offense, needs to be purchased from the shop for 3,000 BP. You can also just Ninja Run away.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
What part is giving you trouble? The final boss really isn't bad, and a lot of people have given good advice the past couple pages.

Die in like 3 hits, need to get the cutting right on you just die, it's stupid how the game suddenly spikes in difficulty.

Someone should mod in Sam's moveset into Raiden's main game, then I'd definitely buy the PC version (even though I could barely run the game). He has the mobility I wanted to see with Raiden (360-degree dodge + double jump and air dash).

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
People hated Twin Snakes because of all the Matrix shit but love Rising.

Rising is not Metal Gear Solid. Matrix shit should not have been in MGS1.

Die in like 3 hits, need to get the cutting right on you just die, it's stupid how the game suddenly spikes in difficulty.

Every single attack has a huge indicator beforehand. If you're not using Defensive Offense, you need to. If you're really bad at cutting things, just dodge it by Ninja Running towards him.

Adnor

Banned
The final boss is just a test of all you've learned in the game. If you aren't good at dodging, parrying, cutting and doing combos you will have a very bad time.

Top Bottom