• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

ViviOggi

Had no problems with any of the bosses on Hard, but I'm at my 30th attempt on Armstrong. I can't cut the rocks in time, and the homing fire f's me up. Oh well. I'll keep trying. Wish I had some healing kits.

If you didn't know, you don't have to cut through all four red squares, two or three are enough.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Another thing that might help for people having trouble. If you haven't purchased it yet, when you buy the White Armour it gives you 10 health packs when you equip it for the first time (these don't come back after being used unless you collect more, requipping the armour doesn't do anything after you've used them).

I'm not sure though if this will work during a boss fight. If you go to customisation, buy and equip white armour for the first time in theory it should give you the health packs but not sure on that.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Zangeki is the toggle for Zandatsu to manage how many pieces you can cut before they start disappearing so you can have them on screen longer than consoles.

Oh alright; purely cosmetic then.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't Boss Rush mode new? A lot of us were wishing that was in the console version.

Yeah it is, well not so much a Boss Rush mode but letting you select the bosses directly to fight against them again in chapter select.

The big thing is that the package collects near enough everything together - all DLCs, preorder items etc. The only thing I see missing is the option to play with white blood and use japanese voices, but then neither of those is in the western console versions either.

grimmiq

Despite getting pissed off a couple of hours ago I just couldn't leave this..just managed to finish the main game, still have DLC to go. A bit embarrased by my 46 continues on Hard, but C overall isn't bad I guess. Very Hard seemed to be a completely different animal..First fight they added a Gekko, 2nd fight 2 stock Blade Wolves.

Best moments of the game were the boss fights, particularly Sam and Monsoon..hated Sundowner mostly because I was uncomfortable with the aimed cutting..only got the hang of it at the very end.

grimmiq

Anyone notice that the Fox blade's special effect is already active without having to purchase it?

The additional cutting? Yeah that's active, but I saw a vid of someone using the upgraded one and he was 2 shotting Gekkos, no blade mode or ripper. just double tapping square/X.

gabbre

MOONSOON

iYqY3HzPSrsvp.gif

One of the most epic boss fights of all time

antitrop

MOONSOON

http://i.minus.com/iYqY3HzPSrsvp.gif[IMG]

One of the most epic boss fights of all time[/QUOTE]
Final boss shits all over him, I was singing It Has To Be This Way in my sleep last night, lol.

EDIT: Oh, fuck, I think I accidentally started a new game on Very Hard and lost all my progress from Hard. Is it normal for Raiden to start back at 100% health and have nothing? Do you get everything back after the Prologue, or did I really fuck it up? When I load the save file it still looks like I have the upgraded health and upgraded energy meters, and the save file says 8 hours.

Final boss shits all over him, I was singing It Has To Be This Way in my sleep last night, lol.

EDIT: Oh, fuck, I think I accidentally started a new game on Very Hard and lost all my progress from Hard. Is it normal for Raiden to start back at 100% health and have nothing? Do you get everything back after the Prologue, or did I really fuck it up?

You're not wearing the new suit. I'm pretty sure you get all your stuff back after the prologue.

Just beat Sam. Dat motherfuckin tumbleweed at the beginning

Also did Sundowner the 'proper' way. The fight is still pretty easy. After slicing everything off he becomes one of those armoured samurai dudes except he has one unblockable. I smoked him pretty good but then I fucked up that flying section lol. Platinum pls

"Like I said, kids are cruel, Jack. And I'm very in touch with my inner child." These lines. I'm dying

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

EDIT: Oh, fuck, I think I accidentally started a new game on Very Hard and lost all my progress from Hard. Is it normal for Raiden to start back at 100% health and have nothing? Do you get everything back after the Prologue, or did I really fuck it up? When I load the save file it still looks like I have the upgraded health and upgraded energy meters, and the save file says 8 hours.
You'll only lose it if you didn't do it through the Chapter Select menu and the Prologue portion always has you at base stats.

xn0

#3 after The Last of Us and GTA V. An incredible gaming experience that I'll still remember in 10 years. It was everything I wanted, no NEEDED, out of an action game.

It was really enjoyable to read your posts in this thread as you went through the game for the first time.

antitrop

You'll only lose it if you didn't do it through the Chapter Select menu and the Prologue portion always has you at base stats.

I started on Very Hard last night after I beat the game, but it was 2am and I don't think I went through Chapter Select properly. Well, guess I'll finish the Prologue and find out if I fucked up.

Revven

#3 after The Last of Us and GTA V. An incredible gaming experience that I'll still remember in 10 years. It was everything I wanted, no NEEDED, out of an action game.

Your posts completely reflected my first-time reactions and it was nice seeing them. It really needed more overall attention last year, it was such a good game!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I haven't fought the last boss yet, but am I the only weirdo that actually likes the Mistral fight the most :eek:?

Naw I love the mistral fight too but more because of the atmosphere, something about the music plus fighting over a huge area hooping from place to place and blowing it all up in the process is incredible. However on the technical side armstrong is probably my favorite boss in the history of video games.

Yep, antitrop's impressions sure reminded me how it felt to play this the first time.

After seven playthroughs you just kind of forget about all that insanely good stuff around the gameplay like how the music works in the bossfights and just how buckwild insane everything is.

Gotta play it again slow and with every cutscene again sometime.

Anteater

Naw I love the mistral fight too but more because of the atmosphere, something about the music plus fighting over a huge area hooping from place to place and blowing it all up in the process is incredible. However on the technical side armstrong is probably my favorite boss in the history of video games.

Yeah, the Mistral fight got me so hyped up with the transitions, reminds me of bayonetta Jeanne's fight. Will probably find out about Armstrong soon, all the posts here about that guy are scaring me :p

I haven't fought the last boss yet, but am I the only weirdo that actually likes the Mistral fight the most :eek:?

Mistral is my waifu but the actual fight is pretty boring. The only thing keeping you on your toes is her goons and that's kind of cheap design imo

If I had to rank the Desperado boss fights I'd go

1. Armstrong
  2. Sam
  3. Monsoon
  4. Mistral
  5. Sundowner

Stranger I Remain is the best boss track though
after It Has To Be This Way obviously

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mistral is my waifu but the actual fight is pretty boring. The only thing keeping you on your toes is her goons and that's kind of cheap design imo

If I had to rank the Desperado boss fights I'd go

1. Armstrong
  2. Sam
  3. Monsoon
  4. Mistral
  5. Sundowner

Stranger I Remain is the best boss track though
after It Has To Be This Way obviously

Not even mentioning Khamsin or that The Hot Wind Blowing track for his fight? ;~;

RK9039

YOU'RE BATSHIT INSANE.

Anyway, that last fight was amazing. The parry and dodge system is really good once you get the hang of it.

Mupod

Yep, antitrop's impressions sure reminded me how it felt to play this the first time.

After seven playthroughs you just kind of forget about all that insanely good stuff around the gameplay like how the music works in the bossfights and just how buckwild insane everything is.

Gotta play it again slow and with every cutscene again sometime.

The codecs go a long way too, game feels a lot different without stopping to listen to them after every other fight. I'm still going to listen to them after
Jack lets 'er rip
just because I love the way they are all 'wat' at Raiden's silly ass.

antitrop

The frustration of possibly accidentally erasing all my progress is making this Metal Gear Ray fight really difficult. Is there some way to know if I did without finishing the Prologue? Does it reset your play time/health meter on the Continue screen or something?

I can't remember how I started the game on Very Hard last night, but I think it was through Story, not Chapter Select. =/

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
The frustration of possibly accidentally erasing all my progress is making this Metal Gear Ray fight really difficult. Is there some way to know if I did without finishing the Prologue? Does it reset your play time/health meter on the Continue screen or something?

I can't remember how I started the game on Very Hard last night, but I think it was through Story, not Chapter Select. =/

Go to story -> chapter select and see if you have rankings on Hard.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I started on Very Hard last night after I beat the game, but it was 2am and I don't think I went through Chapter Select properly. Well, guess I'll finish the Prologue and find out if I fucked up.

Now you know You fucked up, right?.gif

NEVER touch "new game" outside of your first playthrough. NEVER. Always Chapter. Prologue on repeat plays shows your Fuel Cell and Health correctly, IIRC. But if you're really worried, Chapter select something else that isn't R-00 and see.

Raytow

MOONSOON

iYqY3HzPSrsvp.gif

One of the most epic boss fights of all time

It would be the best if not for Armstrong, truly the best boss fight of gaming history.
Kinda OT but besides MGR, MGS2 and Metal Wolf are there any other games with politics playing the kick ass final boss?

Zeliard

I found the Sundowner fight to be surprisingly underwhelming. He was pretty passive when I fought him, willing to mostly just hang back and put his shield up and not a whole lot else.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I found the Sundowner fight to be surprisingly underwhelming. He was pretty passive when I fought him, willing to mostly just hang back and put his shield up and not a whole lot else.

He gets more aggressive once you cut them all off and the lyrics kick in but people usually miss that part by not cutting all of shield pieces off.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It would be the best if not for Armstrong, truly the best boss fight of gaming history.
Kinda OT but besides MGR, MGS2 and Metal Wolf are there any other games with politics playing the kick ass final boss?

You mean politicians? CoD4: Modern Warfare has you fight one at the end, not necessarily a boss fight tho. Half-Life 2 arguably fits the bill, although again, not a traditional final boss fight (and not a traditional politician!).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Yeah the issue with sundowners design is that you have to participate in his mechanics in order to get the fight to open up...however you don't really have to do that at all.

When the game first came out last year I didn't even know about breaking the shield until I was on my no damage run for the achievement.

Zeliard

He gets more aggressive once you cut them all off and the lyrics kick in but people usually miss that part by not cutting all of shield pieces off.

Huh. Pretty bizarre way to design a boss. Feels like he should have had a lot more health to make it less easy to outright kill him when he's still got shields up.

Nibel

Try to parry all his attacks next time and cut off all his shield-pieces so that he turns into a crazy swordsman with his scissor blade. The great thing here is that you'll get a checkpoint when you've done it

Trying to S-rank him can get super tense in the second phase since he is much, much more aggressive and does multiple strikes like Sam

wsippel

Banned
Thanks to the tips, I finally managed to get Armstrong down to less than 10% - then the game just locked up. It apparently really doesn't want me to finish it. :|

Dahbomb

Huh. Pretty bizarre way to design a boss. Feels like he should have had a lot more health to make it less easy to outright kill him when he's still got shields up.
More health would not matter, the problem is that you can still damage him when the Shields are on him. You would either need to make him invulnerable in shield mode or make a scripted event where he loses his shield automatically past a certain life interval (which IMO is boring as many games do something like this).

Like I said before I sort of like this mechanic on him. I almost think its intentional that the two boss fights that require precise sword cutting QTEs can be skipped entirely (not the boss fights but the QTE sequence).

zainetor

Banned
More health would not matter, the problem is that you can still damage him when the Shields are on him.

Like I said before I sort of like this mechanic on him. I almost think its intentional that the two boss fights that require precise sword cutting QTEs can be skipped entirely (not the boss fights but the QTE sequence).

I think it's nice, because the first few times they teach you how certain mechanics work. When you are already good at the game, you can straight up skip them.

RK9039

So I've beat the game and seen people talking about some dogde mechanics how do you exacly do them? :p

Defensive Offense I think it's called. You need to buy that skill and press Light attack+Jump and Raiden will dodge in the direction you want.

Top Bottom