• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

I beat the final boss without defensive offensive the first time, and later went back and tried dodging instead of parrying. Dodging is the way to go.

Cerity

I caught this in the credits.
DwTvMr9.png

The name of the cover girls in the game. Goddamn @ some of them.

Dahbomb

Not going to sit and bang my head against a wall for a few hours because the game has a terrible difficulty curve.
It's the FINAL boss...

He is supposed to be harder than anything before it. The curve is fine... in fact MGR gets it right better than most action games. The curve is supposed to go up.... not down at the end.

And even then he's not that hard especially since you can skip the debris. Once you learn his attack patterns and where to dodge it clicks.

It's the FINAL boss...

He is supposed to be harder than anything before it. The curve is fine... in fact MGR gets it right better than most action games. The curve is supposed to go up.... not down at the end.

Not to mention there's like 4 checkpoints for all the stages of the boss fight, which wasn't the case in a lot of earlier action games.

wsippel

Banned
Final boss da best. Finished him with no damage on Revengance.

Basically he is Defensive Offense the fight.
I can easily beat him to 0.1% health even without dodging now, often without getting hit, after many, many hours of frustration, but my game apparently glitched and he's more or less immortal now. It seemingly became impossible to finish the game. So yeah, fuck that boss.

Miker

Thank god it was Excelsus then Armstrong in the final fight. I would've been sorely disappointed if it was Armstrong first, then have the game on end on Excelsus. I got burned in God Hand (Devil Hand 2 then Angra), and I'm glad Platinum made the right choice here.

RangerBAD

Looks like chips in the blade to me.

Thank god it was Excelsus then Armstrong in the final fight. I would've been sorely disappointed if it was Armstrong first, then have the game on end on Excelsus. I got burned in God Hand (Devil Hand 2 then Angra), and I'm glad Platinum made the right choice here.

All Metal Gear games have the Metal Gear fights and then a human fight at the end.

Edit: I forgot about PW.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I can easily beat him to 0.1% health even without dodging now, often without getting hit, after many, many hours of frustration, but my game apparently glitched and he's more or less immortal now. It seemingly became impossible to finish the game. So yeah, fuck that boss.

I'm not sure, man. Maybe check the Steam Community forums? I haven't' seen a bug like that before.

zainetor

Banned

It should have been belze then :p.
rival fight always comes before the final boss.

Here's my report from the final boss:

Played through the game on Hard first go through (I don't play action games so I kind of suck). Took roughly two hours to beat
Armstrong
. I had the 140% health upgrade and zero nano paste going into the fight, so that was fun I guess. The run I got it
he
got me down to 80% but I was just ripping
him
otherwise. It felt so good to slash that fucker after two hours of getting straight raped. I wouldn't say it was too hard because the game does give you several big bumps in difficulty on the way through, but anyone saying it's not a hard boss is just not from this world. It was super tough.

zainetor

Banned
Well, not DMC3. At any rate, no great action game has screwed the final boss pooch more than Ninja Gaiden Black. I mean wow what happened lol

in dmc3 virgil was dante's rival and also the final boss, because there was no other enemy stronger than him.
In NGB, doku was ryu's rival, not murai.

RangerBAD

Played through the game on Hard first go through (I don't play action games so I kind of suck). Took roughly two hours to beat Armstrong. I had the 140% health upgrade and zero nano paste going into the fight, so that was fun I guess. The run I got it he got me down to 80% but I was just ripping him otherwise. It felt so good to slash that fucker after two hours of getting straight raped. I wouldn't say he was too hard because the game does give you several big bumps in difficulty on the way through, but anyone saying he's not a hard boss is just not from this world. He was super tough.

He is hard just not unfairly so. The game gives you the tools to deal with him.

Neiteio

Played through the game on Hard first go through (I don't play action games so I kind of suck). Took roughly two hours to beat Armstrong. I had the 140% health upgrade and zero nano paste going into the fight, so that was fun I guess. The run I got it he got me down to 80% but I was just ripping him otherwise. It felt so good to slash that fucker after two hours of getting straight raped. I wouldn't say he was too hard because the game does give you several big bumps in difficulty on the way through, but anyone saying he's not a hard boss is just not from this world. He was super tough.
He was the first final boss in a long time to make me wonder if he could be defeated, and simultaneously make me feel that he could be beat with perseverance. That's a sign of superb design, when a boss is incredibly challenging but still feels fair. And when I beat him, it was so incredibly rewarding. Since then, I've replayed that battle many times, just for fun. It's so perfect in every way. So thorough, and so complete. And the spectacle while you're playing is simply jaw-dropping, my favorite moment being the times when
a wave of fire is erupting behind you as you fight, something straight out of the final battle in Revenge of the Sith

I am, but if I can get through the rest of the game fine and then it becomes significantly harder I'd say something is wrong.

Just finished on hard today. 2 hrs yesterday and 2 today to beat Armstrong. You're not bad, yes the difficulty curve blows in that battle. I felt more lucky than accomplished after I won. Keep going, you'll figure it out.

VGs should be fun. If you're not having fun, put it down and come back. I did way better this morning than last night. Good luck.

Conan-san

He is hard just not unfairly so. The game gives you the tools to deal with him.

Really, Hit and Away seems to work best (with the minor exception being when he starts healing himself). Mind you once you got the first Quick Time Zengeki wave done you're pretty good to go as those drop at least three Nanopastes a piece and if you can't do it with 340% then you really weren't trying hard enough.

It's just the fist phase that's an utter arse.

Dario ff

Banned
I feel really dumb for not realizing that you can just let go of the stick in blade mode to do a cut in the direction you're aiming at. My only reason for wondering if I should go to Control Type B is completely gone with that.

RULES OF NATURE

7AE3CEB8E98D180D54EF07C02F870E06AC31E6AD
amazing
I feel really dumb for not realizing that you can just let go of the stick in blade mode to do a cut in the direction you're aiming at. My only reason for wondering if I should go to Control Type B is completely gone with that.
I used Type B the whole game because it didn't make sense for the camera to swap sticks to me. Was this a bad decision?

Edit: Oh, I think you said you ARE going to use B? Nevermind if that's the case.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Not going to sit and bang my head against a wall for a few hours because the game has a terrible difficulty curve.

Once again: O.Dodge I-frame abuse all his attacks. Zandatsu time? RUSH HIM.

Rinse and repeat. He isn't that bad.

Now if you want "Trainer TIEM" do no-damage against him as Sam. That's pure bullshit.

wsippel

Banned
I'm not sure, man. Maybe check the Steam Community forums? I haven't' seen a bug like that before.
Me neither, and I couldn't find any mention on the internet so far. Essentially, the final QTE always fails instantly as soon as I try to enter blade mode. The first time I reached that part of the fight, the game froze. The second time, it worked but I botched a later phase of the QTE. Since then, it's bugged. Makes no fucking sense.

Dario ff

Banned
amazing
I used Type B the whole game because it didn't make sense for the camera to swap sticks to me. Was this a bad decision?
Not really, but I was considering switching to Type B because of the precision cuts that are needed in the boss fights. But re-training my brain for the new stick placement was just too hard.

If you're already used to Type B you should be fine.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mind if I cut in ;D

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Me neither, and I couldn't find any mention on the internet so far. Essentially, the final QTE always fails instantly as soon as I try to enter blade mode. The first time I reached that part of the fight, the game froze. The second time, it worked but I botched a later phase of the QTE. Since then, it's bugged. Makes no fucking sense.

Back up your save and try reinstalling the game? Or verifying the installation files?

BTB; is there anywhere I can get the soundtrack from?

Digitaly, preferably?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B4MUSHI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I have it myself.

Miker

It should have been belze then :p.
rival fight always comes before the final boss.

Well, Angra was the true big bad. I just hated Angra as it was one of those "boss is so much bigger than you so hit his big-ass hands/feet that he stomps into the ground" fights. No real spectacle, either. I'm fine with Jeanne before Jubileus in Bayo, though, because the Jubileus fight is so damn cool.

Well, not DMC3. At any rate, no great action game has screwed the final boss pooch more than Ninja Gaiden Black. I mean wow what happened lol

I really disliked the final few levels of Ninja Gaiden. I just remember shitty platforming, mazes, and fucking ghost fish.

Not really, but I was considering switching to Type B because of the precision cuts that are needed in the boss fights. But re-training my brain for the new stick placement was just too hard.

If you're already used to Type B you should be fine.
Gotcha. Ya I could not imagine using Type A now. It was so weird.

Fantasmo

All you guys suggesting Hard mode really screwed me over. Every fight feels like a chore.

Now, Monsoon is kicking my ass and I have no idea how to beat him. The second he starts attacking I'm dizzy and lose like 60 health or more

Squire

Banned
Another thing that might help for people having trouble. If you haven't purchased it yet, when you buy the White Armour it gives you 10 health packs when you equip it for the first time (these don't come back after being used unless you collect more, requipping the armour doesn't do anything after you've used them).

I'm not sure though if this will work during a boss fight. If you go to customisation, buy and equip white armour for the first time in theory it should give you the health packs but not sure on that.

I put that armor on shortly before fighting Sundowner. It looks really badass, but if the nano paste isn't going to replenish I guess I can go ahead and switch to the
Desperado
frame since I like that one, too.

It Has to Be This Way (Platinum Mix)

^ Insanely awesome track for the final boss. It's what kept me trying for over two hours to beat the son of a bitch. All credit to this.
All you guys suggesting Hard mode really screwed me over. Every fight feels like a chore.

Now, Monsoon is kicking my ass and I have no idea how to beat him. The second he starts attacking I'm dizzy and lose like 60 health or more
I was in same boat. Don't give up. It doesn't really help saying this, but the game gets way harder too.

Adnor

Banned
Avatar changed to Cyborg-Diggle.
This game is so good, now I want a Rising 2.

You have to parry every attack, not just the first.

i'm having a hard time vs monsoon after he reaches 40%. i'll beat him eventually but yeah, the whole "play on hard the first time" thing is really bad advice. i'm enjoying the difficulty but i'm pretty sure most people will just get frustrated with it

Top Bottom