• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Miker

hundredcrackfisttwc4b.gif

Nanomachines?

Son.

God bless the OP.

Is there still not a fix for fullscreen on TVs?

EDIT: nvm I tried messing with custom resolutions and made a 1920x1079 res and that fixes the issue of it crashing, had been running borderless window but that was introducing this weird scaling artifact and crazy amounts of overscan

antitrop

i'm having a hard time vs monsoon after he reaches 40%. i'll beat him eventually but yeah, the whole "play on hard the first time" thing is really bad advice. i'm enjoying the difficulty but i'm pretty sure most people will just get frustrated with it

I think it was the best advice ever. I'm so glad that I did, Normal would have been a complete pushover. Hard presented just the perfect amount of challenge to be rewarding for my first time, though. Always exciting, rarely frustrating. Normal would have bored me, a bit.

Although I suppose it has a lot to do with one's experience in the genre. This genre has been a favorite of mine since I bought Devil May Cry on day 1 back in 2001, so I was ready for it.

Serra

I really hate some of the gimmicky mechanics in this like circling the stick around when you get dizzy. I don't remember them being so annoying in Bayonetta or if it even had stuff like that.

Fantasmo

You have to parry every attack, not just the first.

I don't even know what I'm attacking, half the time he splits into itty bitty pieces, the other half he just starts pummeling me through my attacks, wtf. This is unbearable. Hard is such shit, but I don't think I'll play if I have to start over.

DieH@rd

Banned
I really hate some of the gimmicky mechanics in this like circling the stick around when you get dizzy. I don't remember them being so annoying in Bayonetta or if it even had stuff like that.

I'm not circling, I'm pushing stick left and right.

I never want to see wiggle stick to break out of stun ever again in a video game. At the very least make it mash a button instead or something if your going to do it.

antitrop

I don't think you actually have to circle the stick, just flick it left and right.

Permanently A

i'm having a hard time vs monsoon after he reaches 40%. i'll beat him eventually but yeah, the whole "play on hard the first time" thing is really bad advice. i'm enjoying the difficulty but i'm pretty sure most people will just get frustrated with it

monsoon is pretty easy if you have parrying down and use EMPs when he is standing there dodging by separating his body parts

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

The wiggle window is too large and there's no feedback on whether you're doing it correctly or not or how soon you'll break free, so yeah, wiggle-to-break-stun is a massive pain in the arse.

Miker

It's Capcom/Clover/Platinum tradition. RE4/5/6 had it, God Hand had it, and this keeps the trend going. God Hand trained me well (gotta reverse those suplexes!), so it didn't bother me much when I got caught in a hold. I guess it's annoying to break a dizzy, but I blame myself (or the camera) for getting dizzied anyway.

I think it depends on the player's action game experience. People who have played action games before and want to be challenged even a little should go with hard. Normal seems to be more for people who are fans of Metal Gear but not necessarily action games.

Neiteio

I don't mind the dizzy effect. I just rotate the stick and the dizziness is gone in a couple seconds. The dizzy effect actually makes the Dwarf Gekkos more interesting since it allows them to pose a risk without actually being strong. When a swarm of them is near, I prioritize them so I can handle the tougher enemies without the risk of being made dizzy.

Fantasmo

I never want to see wiggle stick to break out of stun ever again in a video game. At the very least make it mash a button instead or something if your going to do it.

At the very least, make it only a few wiggles. Why should I have to contort my hands to undizzy? Stupid decisions like this turn a fantastic experience into an annoying one. Getting dizzy shouldn't turn me into a crazy person.

zainetor

Banned
The wiggle window is too large and there's no feedback on whether you're doing it correctly or not or how soon you'll break free, so yeah, wiggle-to-break-stun is a massive pain in the arse.

It's related to the amount of health you have.
when you hear the bliping sound it's almost impossible to break free from a grab.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't think wiggle-to-break-stun is inherently bad, I just think it sucks balls in Rising due to how often you have to do it, the lack of visual feedback, and the required wiggle window, especially on higher difficulties.

It's especially annoying when Mastiffs catch you in a choke hold or tackle, you waggle the stick like crazy, yet only seem to break free half the time with no real understanding or feedback as to why one waggle was more valid than the other.

when you hear the bliping sound it's almost impossible to break free from a grab.

Despite having played through the game several times, I did not know this.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

I thought it was dependent on how many times you've been grabbed before for grabs. Every time it gets harder

damage is right for stuns though

thefil

I've been lucky enough to avoid any problems playing on PC with respect to performance. But today I tried to output to my TV, and my TV reports that the resolution is unsupported at 1080p. Other games work fine when I do exactly the same thing. It works when I set it lower, but running the game below 1080p seems to reduce the framerate and introduce input lag...

Has anyone had experience with this?

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
It's Capcom/Clover/Platinum tradition. RE4/5/6 had it, God Hand had it, and this keeps the trend going. God Hand trained me well (gotta reverse those suplexes!), so it didn't bother me much when I got caught in a hold. I guess it's annoying to break a dizzy, but I blame myself (or the camera) for getting dizzied anyway.

I loved this game and gave the QTEs, wiggle-stick, and button mashing a pass knowing some of the previous titles put out by Platinum and its devs. That said, I seriously hope they find another solution in the future...this shit is sooo last gen >:|

Clawww

this game probably has the best QTE's ever outside of RE4, so I didn't mind. they were all intense as shit without stupidly punishing or anything like.

the wiggling is definitely the worst I can remember in an action game, though. it's still tolerable, though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

Parry? Parry. PARRY!

That's all you have to do to beat him. Hard mode isn't anything different from Normal besides cannon fodder enemy placement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-_etp5k54I

Basically do that. 2EZ.

Miker

I loved this game and gave the QTEs, wiggle-stick, and button mashing a pass knowing some of the previous titles put out by Platinum and its devs. That said, I seriously hope they find another solution in the future...this shit is sooo last gen >:|

Yeah, I don't like it either, I'm just used to it. I wouldn't expect to see it go away any time soon though. Clover/Platinum releases really have a lot of consistency across them - B/Y (360 layout) for QTEs (Bayo, Revengeance, W101), jumping QTEs (forward + A in Bayo, forward and RT in Revengeance, forward + B in W101), and a dedicated B button for QTEs (God Hand, Revengeance). Lots of other stuff, too.

BlackJace

Oh my god this game is always hype inducing. I feel like punching the shit the shit out of my speed bag after each session.

AAAAAAAAAAAAA God bless America

ArjanN

The wiggling to break stun/grabs doesn't really bother me since once you understand how the enemies work you rarely should get grabbed again, especially if you buy the defensive offense move.

I think it was the best advice ever. I'm so glad that I did, Normal would have been a complete pushover. Hard presented just the perfect amount of challenge to be rewarding for my first time, though. Always exciting, rarely frustrating. Normal would have bored me, a bit.

Although I suppose it has a lot to do with one's experience in the genre. This genre has been a favorite of mine since I bought Devil May Cry on day 1 back in 2001, so I was ready for it.

Same here, but I also have played more of these games, hell 'hard' in Revengeance is easier than 'normal' in God Hand.

zainetor

Banned
I thought it was dependent on how many times you've been grabbed before for grabs. Every time it gets harder

damage is right for stuns though

I tested it with mastiffs. Even if I was grabbed only once with a good amount of health, the second grab I had 20% and could not get free.
Maybe it's a mix between the two.

thefil

Ugh, I found a workaround for the above problem and now it doesn't recognize my wireless 360 controller right. It's showing PC prompts and my heavy attack is mapped to the start button.

antitrop

I'm trying to decide whether I want to continue my playthrough of Very Hard now, or plug my 360 into my monitor and play Bayonetta again...

Clawww

Same here, but I also have played more of these games, hell 'hard' in Revengeance is easier than 'normal' in God Hand.

I actually had a harder time with Rising Hard than God Hand normal, but I also liked God Hand's combat more and felt more comfortable with it.

I hate it when you're surrounded by a bunch of assholes knocking you to the ground, and you don't even get a chance to parry because they keep fucking stunning you.

Also, Armstrong was a lot easier for me than Sam, for some reason. Maybe because dodging was also a viable tactic, and he didn't magically home in with every attack.

Neiteio

This game is just so replayable. The first chapter (the one with Bladewolf and Mistral) is practically memorized at this point. I sprint, I slide to every item box, I backstab and zandatsu half of the enemies, I efficiently demolish the level at times, and it just never, ever gets old. Just so satisfying to play. It's misleading to say the game is "short" -- you can play the numbers game and say it has X number of chapters, but those chapters are so tightly designed and endlessly playable that for me, they're just as fresh the 100th time as the first.

Thrakier

The last boss is fucking shit, really frustrating. Why? Because I got one split second to cut this fucking debris without having any idea how to. 50% chance I get through the first, 0% chance that I get through the 2nd debris. Tried 50 times already. How is that fun? Last fight really is bringing the whole game down for me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
This game is just so replayable. The first chapter (the one with Bladewolf and Mistral) is practically memorized at this point. I sprint, I slide to every item box, I backstab and zandatsu half of the enemies, I efficiently demolish the level at times, and it just never, ever gets old. Just so satisfying to play. It's misleading to say the game is "short" -- you can play the numbers game and say it has X number of chapters, but those chapters are so tightly designed and endlessly playable that for me, they're just as fresh the 100th time as the first.

Agreed, and honestly feel the same about the first three MGS games as well, having replayed 2 in particular likely more than 40 times.

The last boss is fucking shit, really frustrating. Why? Because I got one split second to cut this fucking debris without having any idea how to. 50% chance I get through the first, 0% chance that I get through the 2nd debris. Tried 50 times already. How is that fun? Last fight really is bringing the whole game down for me.

Gave me trouble at first too but once it clicks you'll be good to go. Just breathe during that segment and take your time, you have plenty. Hold the blade mode button tightly, adjust your blade, and when you're ready press square/x. Alternatively you can ninja run away from the debris.

Clawww

make sure you use both sticks to place the cut correctly. also, you only need to 'check' 2/4 of the boxes.

The camera always fucked up on the second block for me and I didn't get it once because there wasn't enough time. You can avoid the blocks altogether by sprinting under them instead of activating blade mode when it tells you to. I recommend that.

antitrop

Moving the camera a little bit helps w/ lining up the slash. Really my only problem was that the blue line was really, really hard to see. I had to lean in really close to the monitor to be able to see it clearly enough to know that I'm going to get it right. Once you do it once, you can do it a thousand times.

The camera always fucked up on the second block for me and I didn't get it once because there wasn't enough time. You can avoid the blocks altogether by sprinting under them instead of activating blade mode when it tells you to. I recommend that.

Unless you need Nanopastes. Tip: Collect the Nanopastes, then call Courtney and save. You really shouldn't need to, though, because the 4 pastes that it drops should be more than enough to finish the fight.

TGMIII

You've got seconds to cut the debris, it's more than enough time. If you're using the default controller layout use the left stick to move the camera and then use the right stick to place the cut. You can then either release the right stick or push light/heavy attack to perform the cut, otherwise just ninja run away from them. You aren't forced to cut the debris.

Hah, if you think you have little time to cut Armstrong's garbage then try countering the Crimson Viper's attacks in Vanquish. You don't even have the time to move your thumb from the right stick to X.

Hypron

You can run under the debris and avoid them completely if you're not good enough to cut them.

Top Bottom