• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance PC Version |OT| Violence Breeds Violence

Uraizen

Banned
Just run, dude. If you're bad at cutting just run. Practice it later on the harder difficulties. If the rest of the boss is cake for you, then you don't need the nanopastes.

At the start of the tossing, just Ninja Run towards him. That's it.

I still think it's hilarious that this works.

2San

Like I realized today, there's no need to change the control type. Just letting go of the stick that controls the blade after lining it up does the same effect as pressing X or Y. No need to retrain your brain for that.
It's still a more natural control style imo, since your right stick is still the camera and you can use X and Y to spam as well.

Thrakier

You only need to hit 3 of the 4 boxes and remember you can move the camera as well, so it's not just the blade you have to position correctly, but your view as well. I recommend using control type B. Where you can position the blade with left stick and position your view with the right stick and actually slash with x or y (Square or triangle).

How am I supposed to use the lef t and right analogue stick AND X Y at the same time? Seriously, it's just bullshit. They never force the precise slashing controls on you and then they do in the last boss fight within a very short timeframe 4 times after each other. It's a very bad joke.

TnK

Huge post, but I really felt like replying to all the things I saw here.
Thanks! EDIT: and the other answers too!

One more thing: what exactly determines wether blade mode will be the 'normal' version (where you can only control the direction of your slashes) or the 'special' version that slows down time and allows you to slice enemies apart and take their electrolytes? I know it uses the special version after you kill an enemy, or when you do a special execution or stealth kill, but it also activates on other times. What am I missing here?

EDIT: Does it use the special version if I'm near a 'zandatsuable' enemy? Is that it?
If you have the correct amount of fuel cells, and it is glowing blue, that means you can slow down time. The more you collect fuel cells, the more you stay in slo-mo.

Blade Wolf in the Sam DLC is like the hardest fucking boss in the whole game if you haven't gotten Sam's play style down yet.

This, so much this. Forget every single boss, freaking blade wolf on revengeance is the hardest thing in the game ever.

Not blade wolf though. Parrying him is more efficient IMO.

I hate parrying him, so taunting is the way to go for me.

RULES OF NATURE

7AE3CEB8E98D180D54EF07C02F870E06AC31E6AD

LOL!!!

That reminds me.
In Sams DLC, Armstrong is basically Raoh. He's even glowing red with raw power.

Armstrong was always Raoh. If you notice, the punching QTE vs Raiden is similar to how Kenshiro beats Raoh, except Raiden hits Armstrong's face instead of punching his heart. The heart punching is then pushed to the final QTE.

I never want to see wiggle stick to break out of stun ever again in a video game. At the very least make it mash a button instead or something if your going to do it.

I wish I could mash buttons to escape from stun instead of wiggling.

Pulling this off in any game is really exhilarating. One of the reasons I loved God Hand so dearly, and I am really glad it is present in every platinum game. Till now GH and MGRR's are the best out there, second comes in Bayonetta vs jean.

This game is just so replayable. The first chapter (the one with Bladewolf and Mistral) is practically memorized at this point. I sprint, I slide to every item box, I backstab and zandatsu half of the enemies, I efficiently demolish the level at times, and it just never, ever gets old. Just so satisfying to play. It's misleading to say the game is "short" -- you can play the numbers game and say it has X number of chapters, but those chapters are so tightly designed and endlessly playable that for me, they're just as fresh the 100th time as the first.

Stole the words right out of my mouth. This is the exact reason why MGRR is really fun to play. It never gets old BECAUSE it is a short game, and everything you do feels very rewarding. It has a very strong arcade like experience, in which you are thrown with crazy things at a constant rate, and at the end of each somewhat short stage, a boss awaits you.

What the hell.......

God Hard is some bullshit all right, I've yet to beat the game in that mode. The two bogeys are pretty fucking hard to beat. Half their attacks kill you in one hit, the other half puts you in dying mode in one hit, and on top of that they've got a shittload of health.

I thought the second to last boss was hard (took me 110 tries to beat him), but fighting the final boss is like hitting an adamantium wall.

People think Challenge 6 is hard but it's a walk in the park compared to god hard.

God Hard is the one hard mode in a platinum game where it really sucks. It limits the use of the suit, which in turn is the reason makes the game fun. Why limit the player in such a way? Never made sense to me. I only beat the game on Hard mode, and the jump to God Hard in that game was insane.

Qurstion: Any tips on not allowing my blade to wiggle when doing the final QTE vs armstrong? I always wanted to do it, but after lining those four boxes, letting go of the stick only hits two.

2San

How am I supposed to use the lef t and right analogue stick AND X Y at the same time? Seriously, it's just bullshit. They never force the precise slashing controls on you and then they do in the last boss fight within a very short timeframe 4 times after each other. It's a very bad joke.
You have more then enough time to line up everything. It's not like you have to do everything instantly. I assume you have upgraded your weapon to be more energy efficient? You don't have push X and Y as stated by Dario(not sure if this applies to control type B though).

Miker

The following applies to Control B setup:

You can rotate the camera w/ the right stick, line up with the left stick, then press X or Y to cut. They give you plenty of time, you only need to cut 3/4 boxes, and It's really not that bad. And they don't force you to do it prior in the game, but it's emphasized via left arms (glowing area) and cutting Sundowner's shields.

hodgy100

when you release the right analogue stick it cuts.

KOCMOHABT

almost bought the game on steam some days ago.
Friend of mine did, we played the first 30 minutes or so. Stopped playing, gameplay and visuals are not fun - does it get better later? So far I am really glad i did not preorder. Am fan of GoW-style games, so I thought this would be really interesting.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DLC wrapped up. I enjoy stealthing encounters in Bladewolf, and the end boss fight is pretty good, since they snuck in some easy stealth.

Would have loved if there had been incentive for Platinum to keep making DLC, covering a little bit of every boss. Need mah Mistral DLC.

Friend of mine did, we played the first 30 minutes or so. Stopped playing, gameplay and visuals are not fun - does it get better later? So far I am really glad i did not preorder. Am fan of GoW-style games, so I thought this would be really interesting.

This isn't baby's first action game like God of War. You would probably enjoy Zelda and Darksiders games more.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

Yes. It does get better. The game isn't about visuals. It's about fast, frenetic, responsive, skill-rewarding play, and over-the-top sequences. GoW is more about guided spectacle and easier self-celebration. Action game novices may have a difficult time understanding the basic mechanics, but it becomes much better once you understand how to play.

Regiruler

DLC wrapped up. I enjoy stealthing encounters in Bladewolf, and the end boss fight is pretty good, since they snuck in some easy stealth.

Would have loved if there had been incentive for Platinum to keep making DLC, covering a little bit of every boss. Need mah Mistral DLC.

That's priority 2 behind Monsoon DLC.
TBH he could make an entire game, with magnetic platforming and whatnot. Platform Stealth Sai Action.

Thrakier

when you release the right analogue stick it cuts.

I know how it works. But even when I get it aligned and I just release the stick, I sometimes get killed. I just don't understand and I think it's shit gamedesign to force this on you that late in the game. It's just plain bad.

antitrop

This endboss is the worst fucking pile of shit of endbosses history. It's so frustrating that it's not actually the boss that makes it so hard, it's the fucking mini-game inbetween which I am just not able to pull of. 50% death chance first debris, 100% death chance second time. I tried it for about an hour now, I can't see this game anymore, I hate it.

Counter-opinion: The Greatest Final Boss of All-Time. Sorry, Jubelius, you had a good run.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I have seen hell.

I know right. I think they finally got Raiden's look down for this game, especially the prologue costume (which is basically the MGS4 suit minus all the head gear/jaw line mnonsense).

Most people will prefer Fox, but I thought Olga's Mr. X suit waa the best. Not even trying to be hipster, the transparency effect of the mask was baller.

Clawww

try DmC

Seeing people post vids again brings me back to the original thread, and makes me start thinking again about how "easy" it would be to fix 2 of the camera issues: Just letting it phase through the environment + some geometry transparency, and removing the auto correct would help a ton. Seeing the camera get caught up in some corner or swing wildly during Zandatsus before resetting to a bad angle as someone gets jumped by the more aggressive enemies is hard to watch. Harder to play through, but still hard to watch.

Just pull a God Hand for the sequel, Platinum.

The part where VIOLENCE BREEDS VIOLENCE kicks in is easily in my top 5 favorite gaming moments of my entire 28 years of life.

Shitgrin levels of great.

BTW, what's the difference between the You're Hired and The Politics of Silencing Foes achievements?

They both say:

Defeat
Sen. Armstrong
without taking any damage on Hard difficulty or above.

zainetor

Banned
very neat that the vocals go away when you drop the sword.

BTW, what's the difference between the You're Hired and The Politics of Silencing Foes achievements?

one is for raiden, the other is for a dlc.

Volcynika

Shitgrin levels of great.

They both say:

Defeat
Sen. Armstrong
without taking any damage on Hard difficulty or above.

The You're Hired one is for the Jetstream Sam DLC, the other is for normal story

antitrop

I don't think there's any move that MGR's final boss has that is as frustrating/annoying as the warp holes in Bayonetta's final boss.

Neiteio

This game is listed as a top seller at Steam, and Konami is bringing Lords of Shadow 2 to Steam. I'm not sure which metric some people are going by, but I'd reckon future Konami products could very well appear on Steam.

I really want to see Sega port their Platinum titles to PC. A "Platinum Triple Pack" with Bayonetta, Vanquish and Anarchy Reigns would be amazing!

Gbraga

What makes MGR so damn good to play is that while after you put down the controller and think about it you may find many flaws and reasons why it's nowhere near your GOTY or favorite in the genre or whatever, while you're actually playing the game totally convinces you that it's the best game ever.

I was exploding with hype fighting Monsoon in the PC version, actually getting up and screaming, and then I rememberd "wait a minute, I don't even like this boss fight"

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think there's any move that MGR's final boss has that is as frustrating/annoying as the warp holes in Bayonetta's final boss.

The ones you can dodge just by going into crow form on every difficulty?

Dahbomb

"Time to leave them all behind" is still the best lyrics intro in the game.

That entire song is like some epic Power Rangers shit. It never fails to hype me.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
According to the stats, Rising's peak player count today 7,675.

Ignoring all the multiplayer games, it's just about in the top 10 most played singleplayer games, if not maybe top 15.

antitrop

The ones you can dodge just by going into crow form on every difficulty?
Think it may have taken me a while to figure that out. The boss also shoots gigantic ice boulders that stun you and cause you to wiggle the stick back and forth. I think MGR boss's charge attack is easier to dodge than they were. Not to mention being turned into a little girl.

Still love that boss fight, though.

Nillansan

Eh, I'm not taking that as confirmation of anything. One dude's rudimentary analysis of Steam charts doesn't mean much to me.

What? The game has been under 'top sellers' for weeks.

Ahh ok, thanks!

It peaked at 12,000 concurrent players on launch. Hopefully it sold much more than that :[

Sorry guys, you shouldn't take the quoted post seriously. The guy is obviously pulling numbers out of his arse. I posted it in hopes that you would get a good laugh out of it.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Think it may have taken me a while to figure that out. The boss also shoots gigantic ice boulders that stun you and cause you to wiggle the stick back and forth.

Those are annoying, but not so bad when you realize you can wear Ice Skates to avoid the non-path terain from freezing you in place for them

Ice Skates also let you run around on the lava IIRC

antitrop

armstrong's moveset is kind of a joke... it just happens to hurt quite a lot if you do get hit

Yeah, it's really just the spectacle of the whole thing that make the fight the best, for me. The soundtrack, the badass cutscenes between stages, the vocals kicking in at just the right time, so good.

Neiteio

armstrong's moveset is kind of a joke... it just happens to hurt quite a lot if you do get hit
Armstrong can also crowd the battlefield. All of his eruption attacks, flame pillars, flame walls, area-of-effect attacks, etc.

I like how they didn't even try to explain those moves. Sci-fi has its limits, lol.

Clawww

Yeah, it's really just the spectacle of the whole thing that makes it the best.

yea the attacks are totally badass. I've always been fond of ground-shockwave-explosion--producing punches and shit. his lava rupture shit would make Terry Bogard proud

Top Bottom