• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid Δ: Snake Eater | Tokyo Game Show 2024 Trailer

Ocelot it's really the one that is disturbing. :/

The Boss design is looking really cool.
Looking forward to see the other Cobra Unit designs.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Excuse Me What GIF by Bounce

It's a 99.9% pure CG-like presentation. Geometry, lighting, character models.. immaculate.

It's what, not that long ago, was nothing more than wishful thinking.

This being a thing is one of those rare gaming miracles.

You comparing PS2 GFX to 2024. it’s a super limited sand box light game, it should have a lot higher polycount on everything, better textures detail etc.

This should at least look like Callisto Protocol in regards to geometry / character detail. Horizon NPC‘s still look better than most of the cast here.

Vick

Gold Member
You comparing PS2 GFX to 2024.
Not really though, I'm comparing real-time (up to even 60fps) to the Pachinko CGI every gamer drooled over just 8 years ago.

it’s a super limited sand box light game, it should have a lot higher polycount on everything, better textures detail etc.
I genuinely don't follow. Polycount looks basically infinite here to me, light years ahead 90% of last-gen stuff. Environmental polycount just screams current-gen.

Textures, and the PRB all look sincerely amazing to me. Sorry, but I just have to disagee..

This should at least look like Callisto Protocol in regards to geometry / character detail.
Eh.. this is miles more impressive than Callisto to me. Maybe I just prefer the aesthetic, as it's exactly what I’ve wanted video games to look like for decades, just like Demon's Souls was.

RaduN

It looks worse than Phantom Pain, a ten year old PS4 game.
an39nmxb.png
I think it looks better, with more advanced shaders, hair, more polys. But Phantom Pain looks great no doubt.

I'm not expecting it to be the >best< looking game ever, but in motion thanks to the, still unmatched mo-cap direction of the original and the exotic nature of the scenery, with the jungle and swamps and river of the dead and all that, it could end up being quite a looker in the end.

LMJ

The Boss's appearence has changed. She looks more like the original now.
Looks very good overall.

Damn, what a by the numbers trailer though...compared to the TGS2004 one (which is one of the best trailers ever made).
Exactly what I was thinking, man Kojima just has a way of trailers to get you hyped up and just when you think it's over it continues

Of this trailer and the reveal trailer were both nice, and clearly looked great but it was missing that Kojima Ness if you will LOL

It would make more sense to compare a similar character model.

And, no, I don't think it looks worse than Phantom Pain.

WSCceJH.jpeg
That Snake Eater remake smokes Phantom Pain. In the remake you got actual shading in scenes on not only the characters but the scenery as well.

All of those games on the front page of this forum look so old because the developers are not pushing the tech for retail games. These fanboys are going to keep us stuck with Horizon remasters and titles using Playstation 4 assets on the PC, PS5 and Xbox, jesus fucking christ lol.

sachos

Holy shit this is looking good man! If they do it right and it sells then we have guaranted subsequent remakes no? Same for Silent Hill.

UnrealEck

I agree with people in here saying it looks a bit off. This is the only MGS game I never played (I did play a tiny bit on an emulator) and I was a massive fan of MGS2 and was consuming every little piece of media I could before it came out. I'll likely still play this but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe it's deliberately meant to look very similar to the PS2 games in style just with the added fidelity. But I just find it a bit strange looking and the characters look very stiff. Both the face and body animations are stiff looking.
In the video look at 44 seconds in. He's not even holding the knife it would slide right out his hand.

SHA

It's a 99.9% pure CG-like presentation. Geometry, lighting, character models.. immaculate.

PS5 games are richer.

NT80

The pachinko version of MGS3 is what got me pining for a remake and as soon as it was announced I was looking for a comparison. Looks like it might exceed it for the most part which is what I was hoping for. The pachinko MGS3 looked really impressive back then.

SJRB

Gold Member
I don't think this looks good at all.

The graphical fidelity is obviously there but the game lost all charm and atmosphere. It looks too sterile, too clean, too artificial. Soulless.

I think doing a 1:1 identical copy was a huge mistake. It looks like a [sophisticated] fan project.

Can't wait to play Snake Eater in Japanese audio with English subs. Much love to Hayter but the original voice acting along side updated graphics give this an ANIME/CGI feel that will make the experience refreshing to play again.

Oh and KONAMI please we've been waiting for the Japanese Audio/English Subs for MGS1/2/3 (Master collection) updated patch for a year already come on man!

StueyDuck

Yeah it looks off. Characters mostly, bad lip syncing (hopefully just a translation issue) and very UE5 kind of plastic looking people.

But they are staying pretty faithful to the game/story which Is the important part for me.

RaduN

But they are staying pretty faithful to the game/story which Is the important part for me.

More than faithful i'd say. It's absolutely identical in terms of narrative/cutscenes/audio. Every frame uses the same source code data as the original, with the exact same mo-cap data, camera positioning, etc. They literally only updated the gfx.

Edit:

Much better now:

QqiVrpM.jpeg

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

So have they confirmed if this is just painting over the orginal game, or if it's fully built from scratch and just very faithful in terms of design?

I remember DF talking about it and how 1:1 it looked and played so I thought it was the former?

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
GOTY 2025 following GOTY 2024 Silent Hill 2
don't lie to the people....

MGS3 remake is a day 1 for me as I got the UK special edition pre-ordered, but if it actually plays good will remain to be seen.

They have to make sure they copy like...a lot of that MGSV function to get it feeling actually good, so its impressions on how it actually plays will determine if I keep that pre-order.

Looking good isn't enough these days.

Lots of shallow dog shit games can look good, look at Cyberpunk 2077 lol

EDMIX

I'm extremely underwhelmed by how 1:1 this is, right down to the loading screen between areas. Literally the same game I used to speed through.

Well...you need to remember this isn't the exact same team that made the original and chances are, Konami felt it was better to be as close to the original title is feasible, which means they may not be able to make a lot of wild changes.

TheDarkPhantom

Gold Member
Both this and Silent Hill 2 are looking fantastic, Konami - once one of the most revered devs in the industry and a personal fave - seems to be roaring back onto the scene after years lost in the Pachinko Wasteland. Let's wait until it's actually released but man I'm feeling real optimistic 👌

EDMIX

Both this and Silent Hill 2 are looking fantastic, Konami - once one of the most revered devs in the industry and a personal fave - seems to be roaring back onto the scene after years lost in the Pachinko Wasteland. Let's wait until it's actually released but man I'm feeling real optimistic 👌

These are huge wait and sees for me.

I want both to be great, I love both IP, but those teams are suspect and no matter how good both look, you still play a game, how they play will be a big deal and that remains a mystery.

I don't trust either teams, they have to prove they can actually make those IPs

Top Bottom