• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Penny

Adent said:
I was thinking of skipping all the cuts scenes my first time through MGS4. I just yesterday finished playing all the Metal Gear solid games and really enjoyed them because I didn't get stuck in any parts and was able to follow the story better. Hmmm...

I was actually thinking of doing that also but nobody can confirm if you can watch the cut scenes after you beat the game.

Tom Penny said:
I was actually thinking of doing that also but nobody can confirm if you can watch the cut scenes after you beat the game.

I think he intends to replay the game again without skipping the cutscenes because he'll know what to do gameplay-wise the second time around...

oneHeero

Sorry about non-mgs4 questions, but are dog tags in MGS2 or 3? If 2 how do I get them? And my god are the controls so much better in MGS2, the game takes such a huge leap forward. I was skateboarding for almost an hour.

Fina1e

I've read all the spoilers and seen the screenshots. Three words are all that need to be said:

Holy.
Fucking.
Shit.

Dabookerman, thanks for answering questions!

If you can without any details. Have you seen MGS3 like secrets and easter eggs. Anything like the frogs? Funny codec stuff?

If you are just playing the game straight through and not really exploring thats fine.

Oh and what difficulty mode are you playing on and how is it compared to MGS3, is Snake a bullet sponge like in MGS3?

Man I am thinking of so much to ask right now, um, the freedom in the gameplay, in MGS3I found myself spending hours in just one area messing with the guards, is that same sense of having a big playground back?

Thanks for answering!

Cmagus

Im not sure if this has been said yet but if anyone has the soundtrack or is getting it you may want to be a little careful cause im looking at the track names and although i don't know a ton about the full MGS story it seems like some could be spoilers.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
MiamiWesker said:

If you can without any details. Have you seen MGS3 like secrets and easter eggs. Anything like the frogs? Funny codec stuff?

If you are just playing the game straight through and not really exploring thats fine.

Oh and what difficulty mode are you playing on and how is it compared to MGS3, is Snake a bullet sponge like in MGS3?

Man I am thinking of so much to ask right now, um, the freedom in the gameplay, in MGS3I found myself spending hours in just one area messing with the guards, is that same sense of having a big playground back?

Thanks for answering!

Please no :(

anything related to playing MGS4 in terms of hidden stuff is spoilers. He should PM it to you

Y2Kev said:
Is there a good MGS2 summary video?

the gametrailers retro thingy part 3(or 4 cant remember) was pretty good round up.

You know... I was going to see if people wanted to post up spoiler-marked theories and predictions while we wait one more week... but now with the spoilers leaked... I wouldn't be surprised if some jackass decided to post what ACTUALLY happens.... Sad times.

EDIT: oh and "..." lol

dmshaposv

I really hate the fact that companies release strategy guides prior to the game. It really hurts games, especially like MGS which are so story-centric.

Thanks to that Paul guy and early startegy guide release, the whole internets is discussing mgs4 spoilers (and massive ones, at that). I think only neoGAF is the safest place atm.

DrBo42

dmshaposv said:
I really hate the fact that companies release strategy guides prior to the game. It really hurts games, especially like MGS which are so story-centric.

Thanks to that Paul guy and early startegy guide release, the whole internets is discussing mgs4 spoilers (and massive ones, at that). I think only neoGAF is the safest place atm.
I'm pretty shocked they'd be stupid enough to release it early.

Tom Penny

I do have a random question. If you get drebin points from the weapons of fallen soldiers and enemies. How do you stack up points if you play the game very stealth and don't kill many enemies.

jesus, now i'm worried about going to a midnight launch with the internet so spoiler-ridden

imagine the asshats hanging around just to discuss the ending out loud to their buddies in a huge line like that ; /

DrBo42

Mr. Spinnington said:
jesus, now i'm worried about going to a midnight launch with the internet so spoiler-ridden

imagine the asshats hanging around just to discuss the ending out loud to their buddies in a huge line like that ; /
Bring an iPod, it is indeed high risk. People in the line will be going through the strategy guide.

Ephemeris

Tom Penny said:
I do have a random question. If you get drebin points from the weapons of fallen soldiers and enemies. How do you stack up points if you play the game very stealth and don't kill many enemies.

Well, when you're playing that way, I imagine you wouldn't need to purchase gun mods or a weapon that allows you to mow people down like Rambo. ;)

Right guys, I am officially finished for today, will resume tomorrow.

Red Blaster said:
Any neat gameplay/AI related things you've seen that's isn't a spoiler? Also what difficulty are you playing on and about how much damage do you take per shot? Is it like MGS3 where you can survive tons of bullets, or MGS2 where only a few rounds will put you down?
I think taking damage depends on the gun being fired at you. I think one gun took 1/4 of my life away. I am playing it on .. uhh, Solid Normal I think it was. I think it's challenging enough seeing as it's my first time round playing it. It's the default for euro/US gamers.

DrBo42 said:
Okay thanks. Would you say the mood of the game/story follows more of the mindfuck MGS2 or something a little more straight forward like MGS3? Also, does the gameplay evolve from act to act or are you just basically doing to same thing in different environments?

It's hard to say. There are definatly tons of WTF moments. I mean, a lot of shit is getting explained, and without resorting to bullshit. Let's just say, today, I have said WTF/HOLY SHIT etc many times today.

MiamiWesker said:

Thanks for answering!

There are lots of easter eggs for all the main mgs games that are canon. That's all I will say.
The way i tend to play MGS games at first is to give it a straight play through so i can absorb the story, then replay it again more indepth.
There is tons of freedom, in theory, you can go through an area in 10mins or so, but if you stayed around to mess around or something, you could be there for an hour perhaps. There's lots of fun to be had, and i'm sure i have missed out on a lot of stuff.

Man, in all honesty, i can't fucking wait till you guys get yours. Your reactions will be priceless :lol

DrBo42

Thanks for giving us impressions dabooker. Have you gotten through Act 3 yet? How does the game compare to your expectations so far? Also how would you compare it to the other games in the series?

Gen-X

Banned
dabookerman said:

I think taking damage depends on the gun being fired at you. I think one gun took 1/4 of my life away. I am playing it on .. uhh, Solid Normal I think it was. I think it's challenging enough seeing as it's my first time round playing it. It's the default for euro/US gamers.

It's hard to say. There are definatly tons of WTF moments. I mean, a lot of shit is getting explained, and without resorting to bullshit. Let's just say, today, I have said WTF/HOLY SHIT etc many times today.

There are lots of easter eggs for all the main mgs games that are canon. That's all I will say.
The way i tend to play MGS games at first is to give it a straight play through so i can absorb the story, then replay it again more indepth.
There is tons of freedom, in theory, you can go through an area in 10mins or so, but if you stayed around to mess around or something, you could be there for an hour perhaps. There's lots of fun to be had, and i'm sure i have missed out on a lot of stuff.

Man, in all honesty, i can't fucking wait till you guys get yours. Your reactions will be priceless :lol
10592jtstrnnu1n.gif

You're kidding me? I want this game nowwwwwwwwwwwwwww I want to see these wtf moments!!!

Ephemeris

Thanks for your spoiler-free impressions, dabookerman. Really appreciate it.

DrBo42 said:
Bring an iPod, it is indeed high risk. People in the line will be going through the strategy guide.

That's definitely part of my plan. Going to meet up with a few gaffers too so I plan to encase myself in a spoiler-free circle of people. Whether here online or outside waiting to get the game.. GAF is an integral part of my defense against those who intend to spoil the experience.

Oh, if all else fails, there is the cold-war-era concept of Deterrence:

army_shagohod.jpg

Zyzyxxz

man why are we so scared of spoilers now in this day and age, why do people have to be such assholes. They never see the faces of the people they spoil so what kind of sick satisfaction could they be getting from their ass-holery.

Seriously I think only since Halo3 has this become a problem.

DrBo42 said:
Thanks for giving us impressions dabooker. Have you gotten through Act 3 yet? How does the game compare to your expectations so far? Also how would you compare it to the other games in the series?

So far, I am absolutely loving it. The game feels very different to the past MGS games. If it wasn't for Subsistence, the game would feel like a completely different series. But there are many things that make this game a very MGS game.
For one, the way cutscenes are presented, when you see shinkawa art intercutting with the in game cutscenes. I almost thought he didn't do that much art work for the game, but you see lots of art. I just pray for an artbook from him.
I think, i'm half way through act 3. That particular act is verrrry different, almost an entirely different game. You will see why when you play it though.
I think, judging by how much I have played through, if all the cutscenes and so forth were skipped, the game would take about 12-15 hours to complete perhaps? Although, I haven't seen the other acts so I cannot really say.

There are some things im dying to say, but I must show restraint :lol

DrBo42

Ephemeris said:
Thanks for your spoiler-free impressions, dabookerman. Really appreciate it.

That's definitely part of my plan. Going to meet up with a few gaffers too so I plan to encase myself in a spoiler-free circle of people. Whether here online or outside waiting to get the game.. GAF is an integral part of my defense against those who intend to spoil the experience.

Oh, if all else fails, there is the cold-war-era concept of Deterrence:

army_shagohod.jpg
:lol God, the Shagohod was such a terrible design. Half of the stupid thing makes no sense.

dabookerman said:

Man, since I tend to go to Hard mode on my first playthrough as well as go through it stealthily with little to no kills soaking it all in as much as possible with what I can do or find on my first time with all the little details in a MGS game, MGS4 is going take me like 30 gazillion hours!

DrBo42

dabookerman said:
So far, I am absolutely loving it. The game feels very different to the past MGS games. If it wasn't for Subsistence, the game would feel like a completely different series. But there are many things that make this game a very MGS game.
For one, the way cutscenes are presented, when you see shinkawa art intercutting with the in game cutscenes. I almost thought he didn't do that much art work for the game, but you see lots of art. I just pray for an artbook from him.
I think, i'm half way through act 3. That particular act is verrrry different, almost an entirely different game. You will see why when you play it though.
I think, judging by how much I have played through, if all the cutscenes and so forth were skipped, the game would take about 12-15 hours to complete perhaps? Although, I haven't seen the other acts so I cannot really say.

Again, thank you. Very cool.

Mr. Spinnington said:

Lucky for me, my girlfriend is off on MGS day so she'll be picking it up for me. Fortunately it's NOT a midnight launch. She'll arrive just before it opens, pick it up, and I'll have when I get home.... all spoiler-free.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Man, since I tend to go to Hard mode on my first playthrough as well as go through it stealthily with little to no kills soaking it all in as much as possible with what I can do or find on my first time with all the little details in a MGS game, MGS4 is going take me like 30 gazillion hours!

I think, compared to the other games, trying to complete the game with no kills, lets say, on the hardest difficulty, will be insanely hard. There are moments when it's so easy to kill certain people ;p.

dabookerman said:

I guess you are around the part where things become different I guess, all reviews mention it. As long as its good. My main concern and maybe you can put me at ease after you complete the game is that it doesn't have a cohesive feel to it.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Lucky for me, my girlfriend is off on MGS day so she'll be picking it up for me. Fortunately it's NOT a midnight launch. She'll arrive just before it opens, pick it up, and I'll have when I get home.... all spoiler-free.

Bah, I'm doing the GS mail one. I just doubt want to have to travel back to Newark (I go to Law School there at SHU... see previous rant) at 3-4 am. Besides with everything spoiled, I want to take it all in. I'm actually happy with the ending and such and want to play it even more. Also at night I can't blast the 5.1 :)

DrBo42

MoonsaultSlayer said:
That's a good lady you've got there. Just make sure you don't stay in the mindset of MGS when you climb back into bed with her that night.

MoonsaultSlayer: Colonel, this is Snake. I've reached the infiltration point.

Girlfriend: Ohh it feels so...wait. What did you say?

MiamiWesker said:
I guess you are around the part where things become different I guess, all reviews mention it. As long as its good. My main concern and maybe you can put me at ease after you complete the game is that it doesn't have a cohesive feel to it.

Hmm. We shall see I guess eh.
I think it's safe to say this game is the best example of actually playing a movie. It literally feels like a gigantic film. Orrrr, each act being one film. That's what it feels like. Cutscenes are blended in brilliantly with the gameplay.

Oh btw, I took a really short video of the installing screen, if anyone is interested to see it. It isn't really anything spoilerish at all.

DrBo42

dabookerman said:
Hmm. We shall see I guess eh.
I think it's safe to say this game is the best example of actually playing a movie. It literally feels like a gigantic film. Orrrr, each act being one film. That's what it feels like. Cutscenes are blended in brilliantly with the gameplay.

Oh btw, I took a really short video of the installing screen, if anyone is interested to see it. It isn't really anything spoilerish at all.
I'm tempted to ask you about the change in Act 3 and whether or not it's as unexpected as the change in MGS2. PM?

KGKK said:
Fuck, I'm bailing out...assholes
:lol Random.

dmshaposv

Once the game releases can we please have a seperate spoiler-based thread for people who have finished the game, and this thread for people still playing it?

dmshaposv said:
Once the game releases can we please have a seperate spoiler-based thread for people who have finished the game, and this thread for people still playing it?

Please do. I already want to talk about the holy fuck events that have happened so far.

dabookerman said:
Please do. I already want to talk about the holy fuck events that have happened so far.
As much as you want to talk about them now, can you fathom having been Shane and having to sit on that info for MONTHS??? :D

Every aspect of the story has been leaked. No secrets anymore, everything is out in the open.

I am not very spoiler crazy so I read them, and it sounds fuck awesome. Plus it really isn't a spoiler reading what happens, because the real enjoyment(for me)is seeing it actually unfold in the game. After reading the spoilers, I am even more hyped than before. This game is exactly what the MGS mega fans are looking for, it seems to wrap up everything.

That being said, I respect those who do not want to see spoilers, so I am giving a heads up. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is leaked. Their is not one plot detail that hasn't hit the Internet. If I were you, I'd get off the Internet until you beat the game. It is going to be near impossible to avoid the spoilers if you stay on or around any websites remotely relating to gaming.

Good luck!

DrBo42

snack said:
Every aspect of the story has been leaked. No secrets anymore, everything is out in the open.

I am not very spoiler crazy so I read them, and it sounds fuck awesome. Plus it really isn't a spoiler reading what happens, because the real enjoyment(for me)is seeing it actually unfold in the game. After reading the spoilers, I am even more hyped than before. This game is exactly what the MGS mega fans are looking for, it seems to wrap up everything.

That being said, I respect those who do not want to see spoilers, so I am giving a heads up. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING is leaked. Their is not one plot detail that hasn't hit the Internet. If I were you, I'd get off the Internet until you beat the game. It is going to be near impossible to avoid the spoilers if you stay on or around any websites remotely relating to gaming.

Good luck!
Yikes. You heard it folks, find your bunkers. DrebinHERETHEYCOME.gif

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
That's really awesome. I'd make one but I'm a total klutz with those things. A week to go...6 days really. Midnight openings go go go!

Y2Kev said:
That's really awesome. I'd make one but I'm a total klutz with those things. A week to go...6 days really. Midnight openings go go go!
Me too. I am still going to give it a shot. What else am I going to do for the next 6 days? By the time MGS4 comes around I should have an entire army of papercraft Snake-In-A-Box.

Ploid 3.0

I can not wait for this. I'm going to get comfortable and boot this game up without distraction when I get this. Man I wish I got it early too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom