• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvalioli

Just got the email in:

Your Amazon Alerts
Availability Alert
We're happy to inform you that a limited quantity of the "PlayStation 3 80 GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack" video game product you requested will be available to order Friday, June 6, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time from Amazon.com. Because demand for this item is so great, we anticipate selling out very quickly. As a valued video game customer who has signed up for notifications about this item, we wanted you to be the first to know. If you are not able to get the item at this time, rest assured, we are working to get more of this product in stock. Please check back soon to see if more are available. Video Games
PlayStation 3 80 GB Metal Gear Solid 4 Pack

Availability: This item will be available for a limited time starting Friday, June 6, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific time. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Price:$499.99

From CAG. Quick Summary: The MGS4 PS3 bundle will be up for pre-order tomorrow at 10 AM PST.

Laurent

oneHeero said:
Quick question, I just beat MGS, omg it was so good, should I play MGS2 or MGS3 next? I know the time line isnt exact.
You don't have much time left, but yeah it is a must that you play both games...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
oneHeero said:
Quick question, I just beat MGS, omg it was so good, should I play MGS2 or MGS3 next? I know the time line isnt exact.
In relation to 4, you should play 2 first. But there is enough for you to see in MGS3 that warrants a playthrough. If you have MGS3 Subsistence Disc 3 then that should fill you in well enough to go into MGS4 with a better view on things. It happens to have extra footage not in the regular game.

The Existence disc is like a feature length movie with all the cut scenes and added material. Also has a narrator.

MGS3S also has a similar camera system as 4. That might help you a little more than someone who has not played the game.

[HP]

oneHeero said:

Play MGS2, ASAP!!!

If you have the time, then play MGS3 after the 2.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
oneHeero said:
If you wanted to play it in the correct timeline, then you're already playing it wrong. The timeline goes MGS3>MGS1>MGS2

Play MGS2 then MGS3. If you went from playing MGS3 to MGS2, you'll feel like the gameplay takes a big step back. MGS2 was brilliant, but MGS3's gameplay is so much better.

oneHeero

Thanks for all quick info, starting MGS2 now. I have the MGS Essential Collection if it matters.

God I still cant get over how good a game MGS1 was.. Did anyone die 10x+ against Sniper Wolf? Or 10x+ Against Liquids 1st battle(hind)? Even against Sniper Wolf the 2nd time I died a good 5x lol.

I was a Iguana upon finish >.>

Well I just got up to page 99 and I'm deciding to bail off any social network site, even closely to related to gaming :lol. Just gonna go play some games I guess in the meantime. If I avoided the HP 7 spoilers, I can avoid it this team.

Peace out everyone, see you all next week.

Laurent

oneHeero said:
Thanks for all quick info, starting MGS2 now. I have the MGS Essential Collection if it matters.

God I still cant get over how good a game MGS1 was.. Did anyone die 10x+ against Sniper Wolf? Or 10x+ Against Liquids 1st battle(hind)? Even against Sniper Wolf the 2nd time I died a good 5x lol.

It's hard to say, when you know what to do and what is going on, you are far less nervous and therefore can pretty much finish all bosses without dying (or dying once)...

LiquidMetal14

oneHeero said:

I think I died once when I first played it in '98(?). It was a fun fight with her. The End battle in MGS3 has a similar vibe but MGS3 has such cool ways to "beat" him.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
oneHeero said:

:lol

you died alot on her

0 deaths here sir :D

Oh man, finished Act 2. Amazing.
But man, for those who hates cutscenes, are in for a huge dissapointment. There are loooaaaddssss, but absolutely top quality, seriously. The production value is insane, voice acting is miles better, snake sounds a whole lot better this time I think. Well fucking done KojiPro, you are my gods.

dabookerman said:
But man, for those who hates cutscenes, are in for a huge dissapointment. There are loooaaaddssss, but absolutely top quality, seriously. The production value is insane, voice acting is miles better, snake sounds a whole lot better this time I think. Well fucking done KojiPro, you are my gods.
fantastic

can they be controlled like a movie? ff, rw, pause, stop, play, etc?

dabookerman said:

Just as long as they're not paced like shite (Beginning of Plant Chapter in MGS2, 3 long cutscenes divided between walking down hallways), I'm cool with it.

LiquidMetal14

dabookerman said:
Thanks for your contributions. Really though, us fans love us some story. I don't care how much of it their is, I would still wish for more.

Mr. Spinnington said:
fantastic

can they be controlled like a movie? ff, rw, pause, stop, play, etc?

Basically, with cutscenes, if you press Start, if pauses it, and you can choose whether to skip or continue.
One of the best things ever to come to this game, it is soooo necessary.
Honest to god, I can't think of anything bad to say about the game whatsoever yet.

traveler

Not Wario
dabookerman said:

Hoew does the whole Act thing play out after you've finished an area? Say you're on Act 2, which, I'm guessing at least, takes place somewhere other than the Middle East- can you return to that area, can you NOT return there, or is there some kind of mission select thing that lets you replay that area as if you were playing it for the first time?

Volcynika

dabookerman said:
Basically, with cutscenes, if you press Start, if pauses it, and you can choose whether to skip or continue.
One of the best things ever to come to this game, it is soooo necessary.
Honest to god, I can't think of anything bad to say about the game whatsoever yet.

Lots of cutscenes? Awesome. Also, as long as that fact exists along with the gameplay itself being enjoyable and awesome, that's all I need to know.

traveler said:
Hoew does the whole Act thing play out after you've finished an area? Say you're on Act 2, which, I'm guessing at least, takes place somewhere other than the Middle East- can you return to that area, can you NOT return there, or is there some kind of mission select thing that lets you replay that area as if you were playing it for the first time?

Ok, so far, you cannot revisit areas, Not that I know of yet. Each Act takes place in a particular area on the planet. You do one act, once its complete, it gives you details on how you did in it, like how long it took, how many kills etc, and the mandatory save point (you can save anytime ofcourse).
It's basically like this, Act, Briefing, Act, Briefing etc.
Briefing acts as a long interactive cutscene, it's realy cool.

Undeux

g35twinturbo said:
ya know I been thinking.....

Did anyone notice that MGS4 comes out on a Thursday(when new release comes out on Tuesday/Wednesday?), and firmware updates come out o na Thursday......

Just a coincidence......

Games come out on Thursday in Japan and in Europe, if I remember correctly.

traveler said:

If anything, this should be made available after you finish the game. A la being able to select Tanker or Plant in MGS2.

SamuraiX-

dabookerman said:

Love you dude! :D

Perfect spoiler-free impressions. Keep 'em comin'! :D

Volcynika said:
Lots of cutscenes? Awesome. Also, as long as that fact exists along with the gameplay itself being enjoyable and awesome, that's all I need to know.

Gameplay is very awesome, I can assure you. I have already fought a boss, and it was pretty amazing.

dabookerman said:

Without going into detail, how many different CQC moves are there?

evil ways

Prime crotch said:
Yeah the main part of the guide are scanned and up already at photobucket. I'm betting people are making spoilerific gifs already.

Yeah, I accidentally spoiled myself on another forum, not gamefaqs. But funny thing, that series of spoilers just hyped me up to start playing mgs3 again.

Jason's Ultimatum said:
Without going into detail, how many different CQC moves are there?

Um, everything I saw in MGO is present. Don't know about anything else. Also, weapon customisation and drebins shop is brilliant, especially if you run out of ammo. Really useful, but maybe too easy?
I just want to reiterate, the graphics in this game are unreal, modelling, lighting and so forth are fantastic. This needs to be played on HD, SD won't do it justice.
Framerate: I am not a framerate whore, so i'm not as anal about it as some people, but so far, it has been perfectly fine for me. It isn't consistent all the time, but considering what's going on during the game, it's perfectly reasonable. It stutters rarely when theres a shit load going on.

DrBo42

dabookerman said:
So for the reviews out that have said Act 2 is a bit of a letdown, can you not understand what they're talking about? Up to now in your play, have you felt you've been watching or playing more?

evil ways said:
Yeah, I accidentally spoiled myself on another forum, not gamefaqs. But funny thing, that series of spoilers just hyped me up to start playing mgs3 again.

Gfaqs for me there is a poster there who really needs to be shot dead.

Now it could be bull, but he is reposting it in every single thread.

DrBo42

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Gfaqs for me there is a poster there who really needs to be shot dead.

Now it could be bull, but he is reposting it in every single thread.
Nice username. Hilariously bad movie.

DrBo42 said:
So for the reviews out that have said Act 2 is a bit of a letdown, can you not understand what they're talking about? Up to now in your play, have you felt you've been watching or playing more?

Hmm..? I don't see what is so bad about it. Maybe it's a particular segment during the act. But I can't really delve further into it. I thought it was a pretty great act. I mean shit man, I've been playing this game for almost 12 hours now, last game I did that with was MGS3 lol.

Also, in game hair goes to MGS4 >:3

dabookerman said:
Hmm..? I don't see what is so bad about it. Maybe it's a particular segment during the act. But I can't really delve further into it. I thought it was a pretty great act. I mean shit man, I've been playing this game for almost 12 hours now, last game I did that with was MGS3 lol.

Any neat gameplay/AI related things you've seen that's isn't a spoiler? Also what difficulty are you playing on and about how much damage do you take per shot? Is it like MGS3 where you can survive tons of bullets, or MGS2 where only a few rounds will put you down?

DrBo42

dabookerman said:

Okay thanks. Would you say the mood of the game/story follows more of the mindfuck MGS2 or something a little more straight forward like MGS3? Also, does the gameplay evolve from act to act or are you just basically doing to same thing in different environments?

Does anyone know places in NYC, NJ, or PA that have broken street date. With all the damn spoilers I know now, the only option is for me to get the game as soon as possible.

Really its the only option at this point.

Ephemeris

evil ways said:

That's why I'm staying here. No Place To Hide on the net. Even so there's been some close calls here. But still I remain vigilant.. and sneaky.

2422222114_de73c75f1d.jpg

evil ways said:
Yeah, I accidentally spoiled myself on another forum, not gamefaqs.

I'll just say this about what I saw and it's not even spoilerific, Kojima knows his fanbase very well, when Shane said everything is explained he was not kidding.

DrBo42

I can't believe it's only a week away. I've been playing this series since I was 11 when MGS came out. The death of Solid Snake is the death of my childhood.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
to anyone who has ever been to a gamestop midnight opening:

about how long do they stay open for? is it only until the line is gone or what?
i get out of work like at 11 an can make it there before 12 but i dont want to wait too long in line.
would anyone recommend the midnight opening??

DrBo42

BlacKMaRK said:
to anyone who has ever been to a gamestop midnight opening:

about how long do they stay open for? is it only until the line is gone or what?
i get out of work like at 11 an can make it there before 12 but i dont want to wait too long in line.
would anyone recommend the midnight opening??
It goes really fast man. Just make sure you go to the store around 6 and pay your pre-order off. You'll be fine showing up at midnight.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ephemeris said:
That's why I'm staying here. No Place To Hide on the net. Even so there's been some close calls here. But still I remain vigilant.. and sneaky.

2422222114_de73c75f1d.jpg

/gasp!

I want to make one of those :{

Prime crotch said:
evil ways said:
Yeah, I accidentally spoiled myself on another forum, not gamefaqs./QUOTE]

I'll just say this about what I saw and it's not even spoilerific, Kojima knows his fanbase very well, when Shane said everything is explained he was not kidding.

Yeah, holy crap is that the case. I'm actually at peace with knowing the spoliers, its not like its going to make the gameplay crappy or something. Hell, people know the plot to most classic films and they still love them.

Actually if anything it reaffirms that this will be a wonderful game and a fitting conclusion to the series.

So that douche actually made me want to play it even more.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
I was thinking of skipping all the cuts scenes my first time through MGS4. I just yesterday finished playing all the Metal Gear solid games and really enjoyed them because I didn't get stuck in any parts and was able to follow the story better. Hmmm...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
So where can I (without camping) get a MGS4 bundle at retail (USA) on June 12? With gamestop only getting a few per store, that looks like it's out; Walmart has that nice $100 giftcard deal, I just don't know if they'll have them out at midnight. Anyone know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom