• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Hey all,

I got the hardcover limited edition guide today. Recommendation: get it, even if you never use strategy guides (I don't, usually) because it's as much an MGS retrospective coffee-table book as it is a walkthrough.

The hardcover comes with a numbered (out of 43000) Yoji lithograph that is incredibly beautiful. It has 16 pages(!) of Shinkawa art (glossy, giant, full-page reproductions) from all 4 games at the back, as well as a very detailed making of section with photos and commentary from Hideo.

I'm not touching the walkthrough, but I have looked through the awesomely detailed section on controls, including all the new CQC moves and sneaking abilities.

If people like I can answer questions in this thread (since dabookerman is probably too busy playing to go into that level of detail), or I can PM people if that's too spoiler-tastic.

Dabooker one more question from a friend of mine:

What the game is closest to in terms of mood and atmosphere (MGS1,MGS2,MGS3), and what is the significance that the CODEC plays in the game?

MollyMillions said:
Hey all,

I got the hardcover limited edition guide today. Recommendation: get it, even if you never use strategy guides (I don't, usually) because it's as much an MGS retrospective coffee-table book as it is a walkthrough.

The hardcover comes with a numbered (out of 43000) Yoji lithograph that is incredibly beautiful. It has 16 pages(!) of Shinkawa art (glossy, giant, full-page reproductions) from all 4 games at the back, as well as a very detailed making of section with photos and commentary from Hideo.

I'm not touching the walkthrough, but I have looked through the awesomely detailed section on controls, including all the new CQC moves and sneaking abilities.

If people like I can answer questions in this thread (since dabookerman is probably too busy playing to go into that level of detail), or I can PM people if that's too spoiler-tastic.

Ok which guide is this. I must have it now.

Codec is used, but not as much, and the calls are short.

I really can't compare this game to any of the other ones, I mean, it really is a bit of all 3.

Ephemeris

MollyMillions said:
Hey all,

Mine doesn't come till the 16th :(

Somehow, I know g35twinturbo is responsible for this. I FEEL IT IN MY GENES.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Red Blaster said:
Wouldn't mind a PM about these, just to see if they've changed anything since the beta.

Ok, I mean, I'd rather do one post about this in the thread than answer 50 PMs. Do people consider details about controls, moves and abilities to be spoilers? If not, then feel free to shoot me questions and I'll answer in here.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
rqvork.jpg

2m7u81z.jpg

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Ephemeris said:
Mine doesn't come till the 16th :(

Somehow, I know g35twinturbo is responsible for this. I FEEL IT IN MY GENES.

:D
kamorra said:
http://i28.tinypic.com/rqvork.jpg[/IMG]
http://i26.tinypic.com/2m7u81z.jpg[/IMG]

I want to do this one, but it seems hella crazy :(

dabooker can you tell me if the camera from1 to 3 is possible to use still? I personally love it and would like to use it atleast on one playthrough :lol

Lion Heart said:
dabooker can you tell me if the camera from1 to 3 is possible to use still? I personally love it and would like to use it atleast on one playthrough :lol

Nope. I mean, i haven't seen it at all, maybe it might be an unlockable? But so far, nope.

Right, off to bed, can't wait for tomorrow.

dabookerman said:
Nope. I mean, i haven't seen it at all, maybe it might be an unlockable? But so far, nope.

Right, off to bed, can't wait for tomorrow.

What are the guns you like to use in the game? PM if necessary.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
dabookerman said:
Hmm, was hoping UK. :(

Here's one from a private seller in the UK.

It looks like none of the UK game retailers are carrying it (strange since I thought Piggyback was a Brit company).

Worst comes to worst, for about 10-ish euros more you can probably order it from Amazon in the US and have it shipped to England. I order stuff from Amazon.co.uk all the time and they ship to NYC.

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
tha_con said:
liquidocelot_copy.jpg

Full Sized 1920x1080

As usual, please PM me for different resolutions.

To those whom are awaiting different resolution images, I'll have them shortly!!

That's hot!

Thank you.

kamorra said:

HOLY SHYT!

I think I may pass but I wuld love to have a little MG REX in my office :(

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Looking over the controls, one of the things that strikes me as being a massive improvement is the fact that you can aim a weapon without automatically firing now (you could before, but you had to ease off the square button way too carefully).

We knew this before, but seeing how all of this interacts with the improved CQC stuff just makes it all seem so much more fluid and exciting. The amount of extra options you have after you hit the CQC button combined with the amazing mo-captured animations should be soooo much fun.

MollyMillions said:
We knew this before, but seeing how all of this interacts with the improved CQC stuff just makes it all seem so much more fluid and exciting. The amount of extra options you have after you hit the CQC button combined with the amazing mo-captured animations should be soooo much fun.

Go on...

Hey guys,
Here is the wallpaper finally.
I only want to put one on the main page so tell me which you think is the best.
The rest are for you faithful followers who have decided to stay in the shadow of
darkness.

MollyMillions said:
Looking over the controls, one of the things that strikes me as being a massive improvement is the fact that you can aim a weapon without automatically firing now (you could before, but you had to ease off the square button way too carefully).

*unzips pants*

Yes, do go on...

Volcynika

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys,
The rest are for you faithful followers who have decided to stay in the shadow of
darkness..

2nd or 4th one is fine for me.

I made the Metal Gear Paper Rex a few months back.
Lemmie see if I can find the pictures

mm003.jpg

I finished it, but it got crushed. Tried to fix it but it was futile.

careksims

I said I wouldn't do it but I went and ordered the special edition MGS4 guide. I am so weak-minded ;_;

Well I won't even open it til I beat the game. Must... remain... strong.

Laurent

BruceLeeRoy said:
Hey guys,
darkness.

7sm.jpg
I would go with this one, but why must the big ass 4 be pink? I would make the diagonal on the 4 wider, Meryl at the same height as Raiden, place the logo on the top left corner, put it black (or grey) instead of grey with it's 4 red just like on the Madrid's wallpaper...

But hey, that's just me! :eek:P

NeoUltima

This might be old, but I've not read through the thread in fear of spoiler-ish things.

In IGN's Podcast Beyond they explain the lowdown with the IGN US review. They aren't going to have the review up until after the game's release, because they want to make sure MGO is factored into their review.

Laurent said:
I would go with this one, but why must the big ass 4 be pink? I would make the diagonal on the 4 wider, Meryl at the same height as Raiden, place the logo on the top left corner, put it black (or grey) instead of grey with it's 4 red just like on the Madrid's wallpaper...

But hey, that's just me! :eek:P

Nice idea I like it.
11sm.jpg

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Red Blaster said:

HomerSimpson-Man said:
*unzips pants*

Yes, do go on...

ell oh ell. and, um, ew. :lol

Basically, you can use a (limited) form of CQC with a two-handed weapon. You can disarm an opponent by tapping R1 again after hitting it initially to start CQC. You can't grab/restrain a target with a two-handed weapon, but you can hit them/stun them, which knocks them back and lets you, basically shoot them in the face, or follow up with a hit from your stun knife. Imagine slamming a dood in the face with the butt of your shotgun, them blowing him down the street.

With a one-handed weapon, you have access to the full complement of CQC moves. Like in MGS3, you can do an instant KO throw by tapping the left stick and hitting R1. If you hold R1 you put them in a CQC hold. From there you can choke them out upright, in classic MGS fashion by tapping R1, throw them on the ground in front of you where you can hold them up, put them to sleep or execute them. You can also disarm them before you put them in a hold by tapping R1 again just as you're grabbing them. So the sequence of button presses to completely own your opponent is basically R1, followed by R1 quickly again as CQC is initiated to disarm, then R1 held to keep them in an (unarmed) hold.

You can sink to the ground and silently smother them as seen in gameplay vids by tapping the crouch button (x) while they're in a CQC hold. Throat-slitting will no longer be accidental, as it requires a definitive tap of the triangle button. Taking a hostage will now actually be a viable strategy in a firefight, as you just tap and hold R1 to put them in a CQC hold, then hold L1 to aim, and go to town...no more holding down five buttons and being forced into 1st person with no situational awareness.

Sidzed2

Uuurgh, I just got spoiled, and I mean super-mega-endgame-apocalypse-style spoiled, and now I feel ill and hollow.

I just need the game now. Gaaaaah!

Sidzed2 said:
Uuurgh, I just got spoiled, and I mean super-mega-endgame-apocalypse-style spoiled, and now I feel ill and hollow.

I just need the game now. Gaaaaah!
damn, the casualties are mounting.. only thing i got spoiled for me was in one of the earlier trailers and is something everyone in here knows already.

dralla said:
I don't know which difficulty to play on my first time through, Hard!?!?!?!?

I just play on normal so I can get through the story smoothly, without getting stuck or annoyed. Then I move on to hard/extreme attempts, a non-lethal run, a no-alert run, speed run, all the gameplay exercises.

MollyMillions

Neo Member
Red Blaster said:
Hmm, what about frisking the guard and taking him out with a crotch grab?

That's part of the "Hold up" maneuvers.

You sneak up on someone and hit L1 to tell them to [hayter]"Freeze!"[/hayter]

From there you move in front of them (no more awkward getting into, out of FPS to do this), and tap triangle to initiate a search. You can tap triangle again to do the kickass Kill Bill emasculation move. <gets out stiletto heels>

Oh, and other control awesomesauce: we finally have an active reload (tap circle), and you can switch shoulders/camera perspectives by pushing down R3.

Rapping Granny said:
a higher res of the first wallpaper please.

Granny,
I was just about to msg you.
All the wallpapers that I posted are now linked up with their higher res counter parts.
So just click what one you want.

MollyMillions said:

From there you move in front of them (no more awkward getting into, out of FPS to do this), and tap triangle to initiate a search. You can tap triangle again to do the kickass Kill Bill emasculation move. <gets out stiletto heels>

Oh, and other control awesomesauce: we finally have an active reload (tap circle), and you can switch shoulders/camera perspectives by pushing down R3.

Illnasty. You mentioned maneuvers, what others are there?

Master Z

MollyMillions said:

Fucking. Awesome. What about the supposedly secret CQC moves? Does the guide say anything about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom