• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

i_am_not_jon_ames said:
Oh my giddy aunt.

What if they were both knocked out and Liquid just happened to wake up first?

It couldn't be because we see Solid get knocked to a wall, and his consciousness is faded as Liquid is walking toward him from the burning REX. This happened in like less than a minute.

patsu

... not to mention
Snake should be much more exhausted after fighting a huge monster, followed by a Liquid. All Liquid did was piloting Metal Gear, escaped before it exploded (probably with advanced warning), and fighting Solid Snake. As for the jeep chase, the guy who got rear-ended will probably suffer more sudden jock.

I think Liquid may be more aggressive and calculative but Solid is more versatile and adaptable given that he has to deal with multiple impromptu situations thrown at him by Liquid.

Jtrizzy

To further expand on the idea that next gen starts with this game, I'd like to make a few points.

1. The Octocamo is an ingenious concept. A camo suit that copies the textures that the player is in contact with? Yeah that is fucking awesome, and is something anyone who loves video games should be enamored with.

2. The solid eye. Admittedly, I don't know everything it will do. However, it does combine many of the best items from the series into one. Bottom line, it's a hell of a lot cooler than a pair of binoculars or night/thermal vision goggles.

3. People say the gameplay mechanics aren't revolutionary, and with regard to the gunplay/camera, they are correct. With that said, what makes this game more "Next Gen" than the rest is that we are finally getting the proper gunplay/camera to go along with the incredible story and stealth mechanics that have always been there. I love 1-3, but let's be honest, the gunplay and camera were not up to par. The CQC was good in Snake Eater, but it needed to be simplified.

Basically, this is the ultimate video game. 70+ weapons, with more customization than any game I know of (see the IGN video). Updated gameplay (stealth was already there of course) where the gunplay is close to, if not on par with the best 3rd person shooters. And of course the best storyline of any video game saga out there. Sure the story is a bit convoluted to the point where some can't handle it, but if you really put the effort in and pay attention, there are a lot of highly relevant real world themes.

I love Kojima's method of doing an alternate history game, base the story along actual historical events and timelines, but add in video game things like boss fights with flying robots and supernatural beasts. Remember, this is a video game, not the History channel.

zoukka

Liquid wanted to face Snake hand to hand, that's why he tied him up. And he lost fair and square.

Your theories of Liquid intentionally crashing the jeeps the way that Snake gets jammed or something are just pointless speculation and in clear collision of the games message. Snake had the inferior genes thus overcoming his genetic "fate".

EDIT: Do we need spoilers for MGS1? I really don't see why...

34989-thumb.jpg

Firefight gameplay
...paticularly the one with the fight with the frogs....gotta say
Still not crazy about the gunplay in MGS4 (played the MGO beta extensively btw) and the footage looked awkard....that or once again, player didn't know what the hell he was doing

But yeah, like others have stated, it's sufficient enough for the franchise at this point

Ther new gameplay footage up at Gametrailers pisses me off, it seems whoever was playing tried to make the game look as bad as possible.

SamuraiX-

AgentOtaku said:
34989-thumb.jpg

Firefight gameplay
Still not crazy about the gunplay in MGS4 (played the MGO beta extensively btw) and the footage looked awkard....that or once again, player didn't know what the hell he was doing

But yeah, like others have stated, it's sufficient enough for the franchise at this point

Yup, that guy was pretty terrible. And I don't see how you can't like the gunplay in MGS4. It offers Over-the-shoulder mode, auto-aim mode, first person view mode, all in one. How can anyone complain, really? As long as you know how to use, it's some of the best gunplay this generation in terms of third-person action games.

SamuraiX- said:
Yup, that guy was pretty terrible. And I don't see how you can't like the gunplay in MGS4. It offers Over-the-shoulder mode, auto-aim mode, first person view mode, all in one. How can anyone complain, really? As long as you know how to use, it's some of the best gunplay this generation in terms of third-person action games.

One complaint I have is the crosshair in third person mode. It is too big.

SamuraiX- said:

The real question is how can you suck at the gun play in MGS4. From playing MGO I can honestly say that is the most friendly controls in the entire series.

zoukka

As long as you know how to use, it's some of the best gunplay this generation in terms of third-person action games.

I wouldn't go that far.

This is just one of the reasons I don't like the floating crosshair and over-the-shoulder camera. The games action is going to be compared to games like Gears etc... and that shitstorm will be retardadiation. I would have been happy with a tweaked Snake Eater control scheme with only an iron-sight aiming :(

That's probably the only real complaint I have about Kojimas decisions right now.

Darkpen

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
34989-thumb.jpg

Firefight gameplay

yeahhh.....

I'm gonna be tranqing and CQCing :|

Lakitu

st5fu
AgentOtaku said:
34989-thumb.jpg

Firefight gameplay

"Where's the bathroom?" :lol

Caj814

I almost read massive spoilers thanks to some assholes earlier today.

Your avatar is how I currently feel while I'm online until the games release :lol
Angry-PC-User.gif

SamuraiX- said:

I think the gunplay is mostly fine...I just think seeing this vid, along with my own experience in MGO, the cover to shooting system is a bit clunky at times...but yeah, it also just takes skill, as does the actual aiming in over-the-shoulder mode.
...and just to reiterate, I know this is stealth action....it isn't Gears, Uncharted or the like and I fully realize that and am A-Ok

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
That was the point of the experiment. Solidus/Ocelot told Liquid he was the inferior one to piss him off and see if his dominant genes would pull him through and make him the victor regardless. They didn't. Thus, your genes don't determine your fate.
:D
Exactly. That basically sums up the MGS1 gene discussion.

SamuraiX-

Cirekiller said:
One complaint I have is the crosshair in third person mode. It is too big.

Meh. It's a good size. If it was smaller, I think it could be too easy to get head shots. If gives you an area radius of where your shots are expected to go. Depending on your position, whether you are moving or not, and how you are firing the gun, the bullets can land anywhere in that circle. It makes sense to me. :p

Choke on the Magic said:
The real question is how can you suck at the gun play in MGS4. From playing MGO I can honestly say that is the most friendly controls in the entire series.

Word. Still don't know what the fuck people are talking about when they're saying the controls are clunkier than ever. I had them down after 2 hours of playtime and mastered after 6 hours of playtime. Then again, it's not all about me, but the point is to get accustomed to anything it takes practice. Usually games that have simple controls have very simple controls have simple game mechanics. That's not to say that some games don't have both poor controls and poor game mechanics, but the former happens a lot too.

zoukka said:
I wouldn't go that far.

Why not?

I can think of Uncharted and Gears of War among one of the best in terms of next-gen gunplay for third person action games. Why can't MGS4 be in there too? I don't see any other game of the genre putting on the same performance. Remember, I said ONE of the best, not the absolute best, although after playing the game I might be able to make an argument of the game having the best third person shooting gunplay. We'll see. :p

zoukka said:
This is just one of the reasons I don't like the floating crosshair and over-the-shoulder camera. The games action is going to be compared to games like Gears etc... and that shitstorm will be retardadiation. I would have been happy with a tweaked Snake Eater control scheme with only an iron-sight aiming :(

That's probably the only real complaint I have about Kojimas decisions right now.

Just like how GTA IV was criticized for stealing Gears of War's cover system? o wait

Seriously, it's called gameplay advancement. First person view aiming in iron sights is still there. Kojima Productions is just giving you more options in how you can tackle the game. Nobody's forcing you to use OTS. Even though I found OTS to be my favorite during the MGO Beta, I noticed many of my friends preferred the FPV mode over everything. All about tastes and I for one am glad that KP gave us enough options to appeal to the tastes of all kinds of gamers. :D

AgentOtaku said:
I think the gunplay is mostly fine...I just think seeing this vid, along with my own experience in MGO, the cover to shooting system is a bit clunky at times...but yeah, it also just takes skill, as does the actual aiming in over-the-shoulder mode.
...and just to reiterate, I know this is stealth action....it isn't Gears, Uncharted or the like and I fully realize that and am A-Ok

I'd describe it as sluggish, rather than clunky. It just takes too long to peek out aim your weapon and get a shot off. In MGO, you will be headshotted in an instant if you even try that maneuver. Even on a real battlefield, who does it that slowly? lol

Oh well, it'll probably work in the single player campaign, but trying to use it online will be suicide.

The best example of how well the gun mechanics in MGS4 work is still the playthrough Kojima did last year. You can't really base it on some random person who really doesn't have the controls down yet.

zoukka

Still don't know what the fuck people are talking about when they're saying the controls are clunkier than ever.

Well they are if you haven't played the Solid series and start MGO. My friend cursed at the controls like crazy, but eventually got the hang of it.

Just like how GTA IV was criticized for stealing Gears of War's cover system? o wait

Ehh they're not excatly comparable things. At all.

Seriously, it's called gameplay advancement.

Advancing controls do not necessary advance gameplay. The over the shoulder cam certainly makes shooting easier and allows the player to tackle whole squads alone without sneaking. A thing that should not exist in the series IN MY OPINION. And yes I could play the game traditionally, but that's like playing NSMB your eyes closed for increased difficulty level.

Though I WILL play the game traditionally and without the OSV :x

SamuraiX-

zoukka said:
Well they are if you haven't played the Solid series and start MGO. My friend cursed at the controls like crazy, but eventually got the hang of it.

Has he ever played an MGS game? I could see them being confusing then, but like I said, it's about practice. The control layout is actually very well placed if you look it over.

zoukka said:
Ehh they're not excatly comparable things. At all.

Why not? Both concepts do things to revamp the gameplay.

zoukka said:
Advancing controls do not necessary advance gameplay. The over the shoulder cam certainly makes shooting easier and allows the player to tackle whole squads alone without sneaking. A thing that should not exist in the series IN MY OPINION. And yes I could play the game traditionally, but that's like playing NSMB your eyes closed for increased difficulty level.

Wha? I don't know if you've noticed, but the game takes place on a battlefield now. How you can say that the player doesn't need a shooting mode that can help him tackle squads of soldiers without sneaking is beyond me, especially since there are areas in the game where going guns blazing is apparently necessary. It's not like it turns the game into a shooter, since if you decide to go guns blazing instead of sneaking in certain areas, you'll probably end up getting your ass handed to you many a time before you advance. It's just giving the player options. In my opinion, you're being too critical of it. Especially since it doesn't detract from your ability to use FPV shooting or auto-aim. ;)

antiloop

The 15 minute gameplay trailer from last year. I don't know how anyone can think that's bad. It's amazing.

The only video where the player don't fail miserably.

antiloop said:
The 15 minute gameplay trailer from last year. I don't know how anyone can think that's bad. It's amazing.

If the guy can play.

Basically been true for all the Metal Gears. If you can pull off all the techniques it looks amazing and makes the gameplay seem fluid like watching a movie.

zoukka

Why not? Both concepts do things to revamp the gameplay.

Ehh the scale? I never used the cover system in GTAIV and it was shit. MGS4:n gameplay will definately be compared to other popular games where you gun down people/insect-men.

Wha? I don't know if you've noticed, but the game takes place on a battlefield now. How you can say that the player doesn't need a shooting mode that can help him tackle squads of soldiers without sneaking is beyond me, especially since there are areas in the game where going guns blazing is apparently necessary. It's not like it turns the game into a shooter, since if you decide to go guns blazing instead of sneaking in certain areas, you'll probably end up getting your ass handed to you many a time before you advance. It's just giving the player options. In my opinion, you're being too critical of it. Especially since it doesn't detract from your ability to use FPV shooting or auto-aim. ;)

I've been in blackout but if there really are segments where you have to advance by engaging squads of enemies, then I admit, the OSV is a logical add-on to the game. But if the parts are like Snake Eaters Ocelot unit then I'm still pissed, because you could annihilate the whole unit without never being seen.

I really think the OSV is implemented in pursuit of a larger audience. And that's weird considering the great sales of Snake Eater.

FabCam

zoukka said:

Are you serious? Have you even played MGO? The battlefields are going to be bigger than the MGO maps so how are you going to be able to play using just auto-aim?

Apparently MediaMarkt has a system in place that doesn't let them sell the game before 12th ;(.

Zoukka, pretty much every review said that there are tons of ways to tackle your missions in MGS4, and that they are all valid. AI adapts to the way you play.
What also has been mentioned in pretty much every review, is that the controls are perfect/nearly perfect and gameplay leaves other games behind.

Ynos Yrros said:
Zoukka, pretty much every review said that there are tons of ways to tackle your missions in MGS4, and that they are all valid. AI adapts to the way you play.
What also has been mentioned in pretty much every review, is that the controls are perfect/nearly perfect and gameplay leaves other games behind.

Yep, this is what the Game Informer review said about it

MGS4 accommodates player choice unlike anything I have ever seen, providing you with the tools to overcome obstacles in any way you choose." "The freedom even extends to the Boss Fights." "

zoukka

FabCam said:
Are you serious? Have you even played MGO? The battlefields are going to be bigger than the MGO maps so how are you going to be able to play using just auto-aim?

By classic I mean the Snake Eater mode. Iron sights.

And yes I played MGO and loved it. But it's not the same as the single player experience.

Darkpen

Banned
what's this bullshit about controls?

From what I played of the MGO beta, the controls are phenomenal. Sure, the lag stinks and the overall experience can go to hell, but the controls are a dream.

The refined controls in MGS4 are how the entire 3D series should have been ever since the mandatory hallway shootout in the tanker. Even more so for MGS3. In fact, MGS4's basic principles for stealth gameplay are from MGS3, just a shitload better.

Ever since Splinter Cell hit the stealth genre, its been compared to MGS to death, and for good reason. It showed us what true 3D stealth was, and put MGS2 and 3 out on stage, with the audience seeing the series for what it truly is: a 2D game in a 3D space.

Why I couldn't crouchwalk in MGS3 was fucking beyond me.

MGS4 comes to remedy everything that ailed us veteran MGS players, and finally be a Metal Gear game that is truly "Solid."

(Seriously though, crouch walking and a proper 3rd-person camera has been desperately needed ever since Splinter Cell came out. Make any more changes, and it ain't a Metal Gear game no more.)

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
SamuraiX- said:
Exactly. It gives you a lot of options to choose from. They've basically included every type of shooting view into the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom