• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Good morning people!

Less than 40 hours remaining now :D!! (no midnight launch)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
so what difficulty is everyone going to start at?

going by the vids i've seen so far i'm kind of tempted to start on the hardest difficulty (big boss?)

hirokazu

-COOLIO- said:

going by the vids ive seen so far im kind of tempted to start on hardest difficulty (big boss?)
Will be starting with Normal.

OMFG, just passed midnight here. We are in the final of the final stretch!

ZERO DAYS 23 HOURS 49 MIN!

Kazenone

-COOLIO- said:

going by the vids ive seen so far im kind of tempted to start on hardest difficulty (big boss?)

What are the difficulties in the game? Is there a European Extreme Mode?

Couldn't resist looking in here. 2 motherfucking days

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Kazenone said:
What are the difficulties in the game? Is there a European Extreme Mode?

Couldn't resist looking in here. 2 motherfucking days
Liquid Easy(Easy), Naked Normal(JP normal), Solid Normal(US/EU normal), Big Boss Hard(Hard). Then when you complete the game
The Boss
Extreme(extreme).

hirokazu

Sage00 said:
Liquid Easy(Easy), Naked Normal(JP normal), Solid Normal(US/EU normal), Big Boss Hard(Hard). Then when you complete the game
The Boss
Hard(extreme).
What, there are two Normals?

Omikaru

-COOLIO- said:

I'm tempted to start on Big Boss Hard too. I have achieved the highest rank (Big Boss) on the other MGS games, so I'm no noob to the franchise... but Snake Eater was a complete arse on my first playthrough because it was so damn hard (I did start on Hard at the time)!

I'll think about that this evening as I get hyped even more.

JoeFu

Banned
For anybody else who ordered the bundle off Amazon, what's the estimated delivery date for you guys? Mine is June 16th... I don't want to wait any longer!!!!

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Laurent said:
I thought japanese games were always harder than their american counterpart. Super Mario Bros 3 anyone?
Maybe 20 years ago lol. These days it's the complete opposite.

For example the Japanese Devil May Cry 3's hard mode was the US/EU's normal mode. Their normal was our easy.

Wollan said:
So Solid Normal is Normal?
Solid Normal is what would be Normal in MGS1/2/3 yes.

hirokazu

Laurent said:
I thought japanese games were always harder than their american counterpart. Super Mario Bros 3 anyone?
Err, no? I don't know about SMB3.

But sometime in the past, this was swapped around and now Japanese games are supposedly easier if there's any difference.

pr0cs

MortalMonkey said:
Gametrailers put up some gameplay vids recently (they're actually the newest content on the site.) Do they have spoilers?
Not really but they don't paint the game in a very positive light IMO. Some odd clipping and other bizarre gameplay issues are shown so I wouldn't watch them if you want to have the "feel" of the game ruined for you.

Dever

Banned
MortalMonkey said:
Gametrailers put up some gameplay vids recently (they're actually the newest content on the site.) Do they have spoilers?

They only show gameplay from the first area so I don't think so... But they did show the fight against the FROGs.

Barrett2

Sage00 said:
The Boss
Extreme(extreme).

Damn, even the difficultly settings have great names.

I hate to admit it, but I suck at MGS games. Too much Halo & COD over the years has made my stealth skills crap. I am thinking Naked Normal for my difficulty.

FabCam

I saw it in WHSmith's if anyone is desperate to get it early. I had to resist though, must revise! Instead I got this awesome CVG MGS4 magazine that has a massive review plus loads of extras.

f3niks

dabookerman said:
Shit, forgot to mention about the game over screen, sorry guys :(

I love the music when that happens though.

The game over sequence in that video alone is going to make me worthless here at work today. :lol

Hixx

Just got the despatch email from Shopto. Man, I love them; really recommend them if you live in the UK.

Just got to go through Arsenal Gear in MGS2 tonight and then I'm ready for MGS4 in the morn'. :D

FabCam said:
I saw it in WHSmith's if anyone is desperate to get it early. I had to resist though, must revise! Instead I got this awesome CVG MGS4 magazine that has a massive review plus loads of extras.

What

you had the opportunity to purchase the game and decided to wait longer? Why would you do that.

WHY? WHY? WHY?

WHY

pr0cs said:
Not really but they don't paint the game in a very positive light IMO. Some odd clipping and other bizarre gameplay issues are shown so I wouldn't watch them if you want to have the "feel" of the game ruined for you.
Thanks. I'll refrain from viewing. I should know better anyway; I really should avoid all vids, write ups, reviews, previews, etc. It's not like I'm not playing it anyway.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Marconelly said:
There was a whole story behind that decision as early as 2006 I think. You probably missed it. The idea is that the thing sounds like a farm animal so that when you encounter it the first time, you don't think it's dangerous, until it has attacked you and it's too late - and later on it still makes a disconnect between what the robot sounds and how dangerous it is (ahah, it's mooing?, whoops, I'm dead...)
Thats the first time I've heard that before. I wouldn't have thought there was a reason behind those noises, I just thought it was kojima being kojima.

You'd have to be an idiot to look at that thing and think its not dangerous just because it makes cow noises though.

Laurent

Sage00 said:
Maybe 20 years ago lol. These days it's the complete opposite.

For example the Japanese Devil May Cry 3's hard mode was the US/EU's normal mode. Their normal was our easy.
I knew that European had always extreme difficulty modes in their games (at least it's now typical with Metal Gear Solid) but I wasn't aware that it had switched... Thx for the info!

psycho_snake said:
Thats the first time I've heard that before. I wouldn't have thought there was a reason behind those noises, I just thought it was kojima being kojima.

You'd have to be an idiot to look at that thing and think its not dangerous just because it makes cow noises though.

I even remember Kojima saying that the Japanese version of the game would have the Gekkous emitting cicada noises instead of mooing. Something about the Japanese think the sound of the cicada is far more nostalgic and relaxing to them then farm animal sounds.

Looks like both the English and Japanese versions have both now though.

edit: they were never supposed to be funny, Kojima put those sounds in because they're relaxing and enemy soldiers would hear the noises while the Gekkous were out of site and it would put them in a different state of mind. Psychological warfare and all that.

Mromson

hirokazu said:
What happened to the rest of the retrospectives?
Part 5 of the retrospective is expected today (though as of this post, it's not finished yet), Part 6 will be tomorrow, and the MGS4 GT Review will pop up on Thursday. :D

Laurent

Mromson said:
Part 5 of the retrospective is expected today (though as of this post, it's not finished yet), Part 6 will be tomorrow, and the MGS4 GT Review will pop up on Thursday. :D
Wow, intense! What will be in Part 5 exactly?! What's left?! o_O

BTW, I am playing Snake Eater and want to make it throught with no alert (aiming for the cloaked camo). If a guard sees me before I knock him quickly down, no enough for him to alert anyone else but enough to make the red alert appear, do I need to start over?

Are the alerts being compiled even thought I killed myself and chose Continue? At the moment, I systematically choose End and reload my last saved game...

Mromson said:

Are you one of the people working on the retrospectives?

Mromson said:

Awesome :3

Jesus christ man. I'm trying to play this game stealthy, but the damn guards are hard to get past. I was doing my wormy crawl, and accidentally knocked over a pot -_-..
I run to that statue area (where you grab it's dick) and stood there. They walked up to me, and noticed it was me. Fail.

Now I died 3 times -_-. I'm trying to get little kills this time.

hirokazu

Laurent said:
Wow, intense! What will be in Part 5 exactly?! What's left?! o_O
Well, at the end of Part 4, they said they would be covering Portable Ops in greater detail in Part 5, I think? Seemed like they covered enough of it in 4 to me though. Who knows what Part 6 will be.

SNACK POST!!

i6ja9n3t_small.jpg

img_dip_right_queso.jpg

504828_n1.jpg

skor2.jpg

gatorade.jpg

gatorade.jpg

FAT HEAVEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom