• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurent

hirokazu said:
Well, at the end of Part 4, they said they would be covering Portable Ops in greater detail in Part 5, I think? Seemed like they covered enough of it in 4 to me though. Who knows what Part 6 will be.
Bande dessinée?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
psycho_snake said:
Thats the first time I've heard that before. I wouldn't have thought there was a reason behind those noises, I just thought it was kojima being kojima.
I'm sure part of it is Kojima being himself, and also, 'mooing' seems to be a byproduct of whatever servos those things use. Perhaps some kind of organic servos so the mooing sound is produced instead of just regular electric whizzing.

You'd have to be an idiot to look at that thing and think its not dangerous just because it makes cow noises though.
On the first look, the robots don't have much in a way of visible weaponry, so they don't necessarily look scary, I mean in a world that's probably overrun by all kinds of robots, they could be some transportation or utility robots.

BlockBastard said:
I even remember Kojima saying that the Japanese version of the game would have the Gekkous emitting cicada noises instead of mooing. Something about the Japanese think the sound of the cicada is far more nostalgic and relaxing to them then farm animal sounds.

Looks like both the English and Japanese versions have both now though.

edit: they were never supposed to be funny, Kojima put those sounds in because they're relaxing and enemy soldiers would hear the noises while the Gekkous were out of site and it would put them in a different state of mind. Psychological warfare and all that.
The cicada sound is still there, it's the sound of 'silence before the storm' I think. You can hear it before the robots first start jumping all around you.

dabookerman said:
Awesome :3

Jesus christ man. I'm trying to play this game stealthy, but the damn guards are hard to get past. I was doing my wormy crawl, and accidentally knocked over a pot -_-..
I run to that statue area (where you grab it's dick) and stood there. They walked up to me, and noticed it was me. Fail.

Now I died 3 times -_-. I'm trying to get little kills this time.
I have a feeling I'm going to have to do the same thing I did with MGS3 on the hardest difficulty and under 5 hours thing. Wait until someone makes of video of how they did it and try and mimic them exactly.

Rapping Granny said:
SNACK POST!!

FAT HEAVEN!

strawpic.jpg

istockphoto_3881795_black_coffee.jpg

John_B

psycho_snake said:
You'd have to be an idiot to look at that thing and think its not dangerous just because it makes cow noises though.
It's psychological, your brain associates those specific noises with something else entirely.

In movies every monster or bad creatures always make some horrifying noises. If the first weird creature popping up in a scary movie was going moo, then you would be somewhat conflicted.

FabCam

BlockBastard said:
What

you had the opportunity to purchase the game and decided to wait longer? Why would you do that.

WHY? WHY? WHY?

WHY

I know, but I've been counting down to Thursday for ages. Half the reason I'm getting it on that day is because that's the end of my exams. I've been on a gaming fast for 6 months so I have to hang out for the last 2 days. Plus My friends and I are going to buy it cosplaying as a cardboard box :D

Mromson

Laurent said:
Wow, intense! What will be in Part 5 exactly?! What's left?! o_O
Part 5 will cover rest of the Metal Gear games, as well as the Gameplay in Portable Ops.
Part 6 will tie all of the games together into one neat story. :D

BlockBastard said:
Are you one of the people working on the retrospectives?
Nope, I'm not.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Mromson said:
Part 5 will cover rest of the Metal Gear games, as well as the Gameplay in Portable Ops.
Part 6 will tie all of the games together into one neat story. :D

Nope, I'm not.
part 6 sounds awesome

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Chamber said:
For those who've beaten the game (not really a spoiler, just a question about the difficulty modes)

Does a completed save file allow you to pick a new difficulty level like MGS2 or are you stuck playing on whatever level you completed it on like MGS3?
Can anyone answer this? :(

Chamber said:
Can anyone answer this? :(

I answered it, and it does allow you to choose a difficulty level from your completed save as well as moving across things like songs from your ipod and other extras you got from the previous play.

Laurent said:
Wow, intense! What will be in Part 5 exactly?! What's left?! o_O

BTW, I am playing Snake Eater and want to make it throught with no alert (aiming for the cloaked camo). If a guard sees me before I knock him quickly down, no enough for him to alert anyone else but enough to make the red alert appear, do I need to start over?

Are the alerts being compiled even thought I killed myself and chose Continue? At the moment, I systematically choose End and reload my last saved game...

I just beat the game in Euro Extreme so you cant be seen. But I did continue and by the end I had a ton of alerts so yes if you choose continue it saves the alerts. The Euro Extreme ends if a guard sees you even without going into alert. On the other hand you can go into catuion mode without them seeing you. Not sure if its the same thing though.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
dabookerman said:
I answered it, and it does allow you to choose a difficulty level from your completed save as well as moving across things like songs from your ipod and other extras you got from the previous play.
Missed it. Thank you very much.:D

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
i_am_not_jon_ames said:
For the record, THAT isn't the burrito I intend on eating!

I couldn't find a good google image of Qdoba :\
Protip: Always go to Flickr.com for awesome food pics.

Laurent

MiamiWesker said:
I just beat the game in Euro Extreme so you cant be seen. But I did continue and by the end I had a ton of alerts so yes if you choose continue it saves the alerts. The Euro Extreme ends if a guard sees you even without going into alert. On the other hand you can go into catuion mode without them seeing you. Not sure if its the same thing though.
I know Caution Mode is inevitable at certain times (when you first encounter Eva for example, the next morning), but I wonder if triggering it "manually" will be considered an alarm...?

Safe Bet

Banned
BlockBastard said:
That's pretty cool. I also remember seeing somewhere that the nanomachines in the MGS universe are almost becoming a reality. Only thing we'll probably never see is a walking tank, as cool as the concept is.
I don't understand why so many people think walking tanks are improbable.

There are a ton of people working on walking machines for various reasons.

walkingrobot.jpg

Potential military benefits of that kind of technology should be obvious to see.

Walking > Rolling

Legs can go where wheels can't.

china-mt-everest.jpg

Also...

Mobile Missle Launchers > Stationary Missle Launchers

There's a reason the US and USSR invested so heavily in moblie ICBM launchers.

Trident_missile_launch.jpg

Darkpen

Banned
to be honest, it looks like there's a turd with eyes in the burrito, which is a gross thought.

not exactly the most complimentary photo

Oh yuk! I would never, ever eat anything as unhealthy as that burrito ever again (unhealthy as far as the portion size and sheer volume of unhealthy fat/calories.) I recently turned my lifestyle around. I was recently weighing nearly 300 lbs (about 280) at 6' tall, but I'm down to 193 lbs now. WooHoo! Partial credit goes to Wii Fit by the way. :D

This is actually really making me think long and hard about what I'm going to eat during my MGS 4 run. Hmmm...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom