• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yagharek

flipping_heck said:
Wow 8/10 from Eurogamer?! What a surprise!

8/10 isn't bad per se, but for a top tiered game like MGS4, i expected at least 9

8 is what Edge gave MGS3 too. Incidentally, Edge and Eurogamer share some writers so I wouldnt be surprised to see an Edge 8 or 9 at best for it. Not that it bothers me - an 8 for MGS3 didnt stop it from becoming my favourite game ever.

In any sense Im not reading reviews til after Ive played it (if ever I read them) so I wont comment on them.

Jtrizzy

supermackem said:
Since when was an 8 a bad score, you guys need to chill the fuck out.:lol
Jesus. How many times will this be posted? Are you reading the fucking thread? Everyone knows that EG gives tough scores except for GTA, it's the content, as has been pointed out at lest 5 times in the last two pages.

FabCam

I stopped reading the EG review after seeing this in the 4th line:

Then there are those - this reviewer included - for whom Metal Gear Solid is a love it and hate it proposition. Flawed, intractable, unspeakably tedious at times

Why would you review a game in a series that you are not a fan of?

lherre

Accurate
perfect10.gif

Please this need an "update" (eurogamer is the 9,7 XDDD)

Fady K

DAMN! THIS IS LIKE THE OFFICIAL MGS4 THREAD FROM KONAMI! EXCELLENT JOB BRUCE EXCELLENT!

Eurogamer never was very fond of the MGS games anyway.

Id.

Truant said:
Could you be any more of a fanboy?
Did you miss the part of his post where he was asking a legitimate question, or did you just decide to call him a fanboy for the hell of it?

Busty

Banned
Having read the Eurogamer review I have to admit ignoring the final score and instead reading the review's actual body of text is quite illuminating.

I certainly wouldn't call myself a MGS fan seeing as I haven't played any game in the series since the first one on the PSOne but even I could relate to some of the observations and criticisms that were being levelled at the game, and indeed the franchise as a whole in the review.

I think it's worth baring in mind that this reviewer still had praise for the game and the MGS universe that Kojima created as a whole despite clearly not being a huge fan of either. EG reviews are usually very level headed and fair and I think that their MGS4 review certainly falls into that catergory.

At the end of the day, I think that to many, the MGS series is a question of personal tastes, and clearly the EG reviewer was in the 'me-no-likey' camp. But the fact he still had praise for the game and even gave it an 8 out of 10 shows the game has serious quality.

Also...... MAN ALIVE, now that's an OP.

Kudos. :D

Looks like Wollan is going to have to really step up his game for E3 when he comes back from his 'vacation'.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Truant said:
Could you be any more of a fanboy?

Lets see if all of Truant's posts are just negative replies or does he actually have something to contribute.

Yoboman said:
Anyway moving on, how come all the European press are reviewing it exclusively?

NDAs are up in Europe I suppose.

Fady K

So...um....did Eurogamer forget theres this other big part of the game called Metal Gear Online? You know, cause, a multiplayer mode kind of like, ADDS ON to the package :/

They might as well review the SP campaign of Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2.

They reviewed the single player campaign of Gears independently from its multiplayer component. The multiplayer review followed a week or two later.

I'm sorry if facts are troublesome for you.

Fady K

Shake Appeal said:
They reviewed the single player campaign of Gears independently from its multiplayer component. The multiplayer review followed a week or two later.

I'm sorry if facts are troublesome for you.

Its not really troublesome as I didn't know that, but why not review it all at once? It does change the score you know, unless the multiplayer barely adds on to the game like IMO, the Darkness.

Fady K said:
So...um....did Eurogamer forget theres this other big part of the game called Metal Gear Online? You know, cause, a multiplayer mode kind of like, ADDS ON to the package :/

IGN UK didn't, either. Did OPM UK?

Yoboman said:
Anyway moving on, how come all the European press are reviewing it exclusively?

It's surprising in general that website reviews are going up this early. It's still 2 weeks before release and website reviews are usually help until a couple of days before the game launches.

FabCam said:
I stopped reading the EG review after seeing this in the 4th line:

Why would you review a game in a series that you are not a fan of?
Obviously Eurogamer have changed their review policy, their Halo3 review was one of the worst fanboy rants I´ve ever read. From my POW Eurogamer have lost their credibility, some of the guys are very witty, but their writing is very inconsistent.

Fady K said:

Konami is probably the one asking reviewers to totally leave MGO out of the MGS4 reviews. I highly doubt all the reviews we've seen so far have all just managed to gloss over the fact that there's an online game packed somewhere in the MGS4 disc.

Walshicus

Fady K said:

Don't you pay for that separately?

Slamo said:

he actually I just liked the referrence...honestly, even if Im bitching on here...Ive never taken a single review as creed in my life...Ive played mgs before, I know what to expect...

think Ill exit this thread though...I wont be playing the game for months

colinp

Banned
huh, with all the hype I thought for sure that we would see endless 10/10's.

I wonder if the GTAIV hoopla is backfiring and causing lower scores for MGS4...? :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Eurogamer: Take note, however, that there are several minutes of install time to be endured, not just at the start, but before each act
???

Id.

I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy... :(

Walshicus

LeoStenbuck said:
Fair enough. I guess the value proposition becomes a bit muddied due to that.

Then again, I really don't see anyone being convinced or dissuaded to buy Metal Gear Solid 4 based on review scores or value propositions... It'll sell to the people it will always sell to. MGS4 is like Marmite I guess.

antiloop

colinp said:
huh, with all the hype I thought for sure that we would see endless 10/10's.

I wonder if the GTAIV hoopla is backfiring and causing lower scores for MGS4...? :lol

Obviously not going by the actual review text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom