• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

psycho_snake said:
Thats a good length. I wonder how much of that is cutscenes. There's bound to be a lot. I read this interview where Hayter said that the recording sessions for MGS4 were much much longer than the recording sessions for the previous MGS games.
It's got a total cutscene run-time of about 8 1/2 hours

FabCam

dak1dsk1 said:
8/10 is probably a realistic score. I'm so sick and tired of the "100%-lie"
Too bad for Sony that MGS4 isn't the PS3 deal-sealer, but at least I won't have to buy another console. (I will play MGS4 via BC on ps4, or when ps3 emulators are out in a few years)

I actually laughed. :lol

dmshaposv

First of all - HOLY SHIT at the OPs.

Second, I'll buy this game even if Eurogamer would've given it a 5/10, and EDGE a 3/10.

Third, LMAO at IGN UK's 9.9, wtf. :lol

Fourth, KEEP THEM SPOILERZ OUT, mates.

fifth, US Gaffers will go bathsit crazy when they see this thread. :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoboman said:
With 8 hours codec, hopefully.

Busty

Banned
Id. said:
I wish we could all get along like we used to in middle school... I wish I could bake a cake filled with rainbows and smiles and everyone would eat and be happy... :(

Wait. Do you even go to this school?

Tina Fey kicks motherfuckin' asssss

dak1dsk1 said:
Too bad for Sony that MGS4 isn't the PS3 deal-sealer, but at least I won't have to buy another console. (I will play MGS4 via BC on ps4, or when ps3 emulators are out in a few years)

:lol

....and wow @original post. This guy should be getting paid to do this.

Tom Penny said:
Only problem I have with the Eurogamer review is they don't even talk about the gameplay. How the hell do you do a review and not talk about the new game mechanics? The word "Drebin" is not even in the review :lol Fail.

You know, this is a very good point. The Drebin Shop is an extremely important part of the game and there's no mention of him in the review.

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
You know, this is a very good point. The Drebin Shop is an extremely important part of the game and there's no mention of him in the review.
They didn't mention the new controls or camera, the fact that it's in a warzone, the weapons or much of anything really.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Yoboman said:
Great. Thats not sarcasm either, I love MGS cutscenes. I know a lot of people get annoyed by how many there are, but it doesnt bother me in ther slightest.

Are those rumours of 90 minute cutscenes true?

FabCam

psycho_snake said:
Great. Thats not sarcasm either, I love MGS cutscenes. I know a lot of people get annoyed by how many there are, but it doesnt bother me in ther slightest.

Are those rumours of 90 minute cutscenes true?

I doubt it will be a 90min cut scene but probably something like 20 min cutscene followed by 20min codec then walk through a door which tirggers another 20min cutscene with 20min codec. That happened quite a lot in MGS2.

Aurelius

I can understand where the 8/10 from Eurogamer is coming from. Metal Gear Solid games are kind of love it or hate it. They certainly have there particularities like main characters that start to discuss the deeper meaning of life, dead and the battlefield in an overdramatic and overlong cutscene. For MGS fans like myself that's part of the Metal Gear experience and every new game is liking the second coming of Christ. But I also have friends who hate the games. If there are people out there who never have played a MGS and want to knew what to expect, the Eurogamer review is pretty accurate.

Yoboman said:
They didn't mention the new controls or camera, the fact that it's in a warzone, the weapons or much of anything really.

Here it is, he manages to stuff the camera, Octocam and Drebin Shop altogether in a very small portion of the "review"

This is a much more accessible game to play than the convoluted MGS3, with the OctoCamo suit and Metal Gear Mk II remote drone taking much of the pain out of stealth, while weapons trading and customisation, and the excellent new cameras, do the same for gunplay.

nofi

Just read through the entire first page. Easily the single most impressive official thread I've ever seen. It's better than most of the big sites' entire MGS4 article collection.

Except this:

rulestitle2.jpg

But yeah, wonderful stuff.

While I'm happy the game's getting almost unanimous praise from most places, an 8/10 will temper my expectations a little bit when going in, likely reducing my chances of any potential disappointments. That said, the Eurogamer writer sounds like the total wet-blanket concerning the series.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
nofi said:
Except this:

rulestitle2.jpg

But yeah, wonderful stuff.
What's wrong with it?

Slamo

No one is going to buy, or not buy, this game because of reviews.

It's MGS4. We all know what we're getting into.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It's always so predictable that people hone in on - and inadvertently give greater attention and importance to - 'rogue' reviews that are out of step with the consensus or an expected consensus.

It happens with practically every big game, just let it go..

Yoboman

SolidSnakex said:
Here it is, he manages to stuff the camera, Octocam and Drebin Shop altogether in a very small portion of the "review"

It's strange and ironic that someone who seems to have so much of a problem with cutscenes talked so little of the gameplay

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I think Eurogamer has presented a fair review. The reviewer immediately notes which elements he was not particularly fond of in previous games. The review seems intended for both fans and non-fans alike. If you love the series, their score really shouldn't mean anything, but for those skeptical about it or those who were turned off by certain elements in the past, I think the review means a bit more.

We all knew this wasn't going to be a game for everyone. I never quite understood WHY Metal Gear Solid was placed alongside stuff like Grand Theft Auto and Halo as a killer app for everyone. It's amazing that it has done as well as it has thus far.

Yoshichan

dark10x said:
We all knew this wasn't going to be a game for everyone. I never quite understood WHY Metal Gear Solid was placed alongside stuff like Grand Theft Auto and Halo as a killer app for everyone. It's amazing that it has done as well as it has thus far.
Everyone can enjoy GTA, you're right about that.

Not everyone can enjoy Halo though, that's for sure.

FabCam

dark10x said:

I would agree with the past 3 games, but MGS4 is so much more mainstream in terms of gameplay. This game is aimed at fans and non-fans a like. If marketed well the CoD4 crowd would be all over this even if they haven't played the previous 3.

Yoboman said:
It's strange and ironic that someone who seems to have so much of a problem with cutscenes talked so little of the gameplay

Yeah, and this is why it reads like more of a rant. The majority of the review is him complaining about the story/cutscenes and he just mentions the gameplay a few times.

Aurelius

I'd rather have this MGS4, a game Kojima made to end the series with a bang and please the fans, than Tom Clancy's Metal Gear Solid for the mainstream.

If anything, MGS4 is more accessible than any of the previous games in terms of gameplay. The lack of commentary about the Drebin points is a shame with the Eurogamer review, especially since skip mentioned the appeal of the system in his "mini-review" for EGM.

psycho_snake

In the 1st page, this was one of the things mentioned about drebin:

"Players can then use these points to unlock these collected weapons for their use, or players can save their points up to purchase ammunition or items in Drebin's shop"

I knew that you buy weapons from drebin, but I didnt know about ammunition. Now does that mean that enemies are going to drop ammo a lot less frequently? It'd have to be that way, otherwise making drebin sell ammo would be rather pointless.

Yoboman

dark10x said:
I think Eurogamer has presented a fair review. The reviewer immediately notes which elements he was not particularly fond of in previous games. The review seems intended for both fans and non-fans alike. If you love the series, their score really shouldn't mean anything, but for those skeptical about it or those who were turned off by certain elements in the past, I think the review means a bit more.

I don't think he really did at all. A fair review would've understood that fans want and expect lots of cutscenes, but a fair review would've examined the strides Kojima and co. to make the gameplay more accessible and (I'm presuming) the interactive elements more prevelant in cutscenes to strike that balance between what long-time fans want and those who need more interactivity

As it was, that all got ignored

DSN2K

just had good listen to the OST, very very good I'd meantion specific tracks but it could be spoilers so I wont.

psycho_snake

I rarely get that exited about that many games anymore, but when I do, something always has to ruin my exitement. When all of you lot will be playing MGS4 on the 12, I'll be sitting an exam! I cant even play it after that because I've got exams for the whole of that week :(

ElyrionX

So I'm downloading all the trailers from the PSN and rewatching them in full HD on my PS3. Sooooooo hyped for this game.

Mromson

dak1dsk1 said:
wow.:lol

psycho_snake said:
I knew that you buy weapons from drebin, but I didnt know about ammunition. Now does that mean that enemies are going to drop ammo a lot less frequently? It'd have to be that way, otherwise making drebin sell ammo would be rather pointless.

Special ammo maybe

rhino4evr

I don't think the Eurogamer review was that bad. There is a lot of folks that think the MGS series has become a convulted mess. Personally, I kind of enjoy the spectacle. Yes, it's completely over the top and ridiculous, but that's what makes it entertaining. I don't own a PS3, but there is no doubt that I really want one at this point. Is a 360 version really impossible without Blu-ray?

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Dudes aren`t we overreacting a bit regarding the eurogamer review, I mean somebody gave the game a 8. It`s the opinion of one guy who liked it less then the previous reviewers. Imo that`s pretty natural thing to happen, heck I am sure there are people out there who like it even less. He summed up his nitpicks and it`s kinda obvious that he is no fan of the series, that`s enough to place this review in the proper context right? Anyway the game is finished and it won`t change whatever scores it might get, let`s not turn this amazing thread in a MGS4-doesn`t-get-the-respect-it-rightfully-deserves quabble.

Aurelius said:
I can understand where the 8/10 from Eurogamer is coming from. Metal Gear Solid games are kind of love it or hate it. They certainly have there particularities like main characters that start to discuss the deeper meaning of life, dead and the battlefield in an overdramatic and overlong cutscene. For MGS fans like myself that's part of the Metal Gear experience and every new game is liking the second coming of Christ. But I also have friends who hate the games. If there are people out there who never have played a MGS and want to knew what to expect, the Eurogamer review is pretty accurate.

I'd have said the opposite, the Eurogamer review reads like someone trying to explain what he has liked and disliked about the Metal Gear Series. Reading the IGNuk review it definately tells someone a lot more about the gameplay of Metal Gear 4.

It seems as though reviewers are taking the inability to spoil the details of Metal Gear 4 different routes, some are trying to explain the differences from previous titles and some are trying to lambast the similarities while all not trying to ruin the plot.

Edit: Shit I've quoted the wrong person, I was meant to quote a guy that said the Eurogamer review would be good for someone who hasn't played the game, I can't be arsed going back to find out!

Narcosis

RamzaIsCool said:
Dudes aren`t we overreacting a bit regarding the eurogamer review, I mean somebody gave the game a 8. It`s the opinion of one guy who liked it less then the previous reviewers. Imo that`s pretty natural thing to happen, heck I am sure there are people out there who like it even less. He summed up his nitpicks and it`s kinda obvious that he is no fan of the series, that`s enough to place this review in the proper context right? Anyway the game is finished and it won`t change whatever scores it might get, let`s not turn this amazing thread in a MGS4-doesn`t-get-the-respect-it-rightfully-deserves quabble.

If I mention "8.8" I think most of GAF and most of any gaming site will know what I'm making a reference to.
Reviews are serious business on internet message boards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom