• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoboman said:
Why is the Eurogamer Defence Force only talking about the score given and not the content of the review?

Why do I recognise all of the "Eurogamer Defence Force" as being previous anti-sony posters?

The Eurogamer review, what happened in the last paragraph?

Sir Fragula said:
Fair enough. I guess the value proposition becomes a bit muddied due to that.

Then again, I really don't see anyone being convinced or dissuaded to buy Metal Gear Solid 4 based on review scores or value propositions... It'll sell to the people it will always sell to. MGS4 is like Marmite I guess.

I'm not sure know what Marmite is, but, your right. MGS4 will more then likely only appeal to the same people that the series has up until now.

painful fart said:
Obviously Eurogamer have changed their review policy, their Halo3 review was one of the worst fanboy rants I´ve ever read. From my POW Eurogamer have lost their credibility, some of the guys are very witty, but their writing is very inconsistent.
A fanboy rant from a guy who didn't like the first two games in the series and whose favourite games mostly consist of PS2 JRPGs!

You guys need to stop walking into these bear traps you're setting for yourself.

Yoboman

travisbickle said:
Why do I recognise all of the "Eurogamer Defence Force" as being previous anti-sony posters?

The Eurogamer review, what happened in the last paragraph?
Purely coincidence

Yoboman

Shake Appeal said:
A fanboy rant from a guy who didn't like the first two games in the series and whose favourite games mostly consist of PS2 JRPGs!

You guys need to stop walking into these bear traps you're setting for yourself.
You work for Eurogamer, dude?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Do I need to quote this again? I'm really going to be pissed off if this is the truth:

Eurogamer: Take note, however, that there are several minutes of install time to be endured, not just at the start, but before each act

Fady K

Busty said:
Banned. For a calendar month.

...for not reading the OP in a thread apparently.

For real? :( Do you have the link? Much thanks in advance.

LeoStenbuck said:
IGN UK didn't, either. Did OPM UK?

Yeah I just finished reading IGNs, maybe the MGO wouldve added a 0.1 :p

Sir Fragula said:
Don't you pay for that separately?

Completely free.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome thread. Maybe the best official thread ever.

Is there are reason why Arsenal Gear isn`t listed as a Metal Gear in the OP?

Yoboman

Seiken said:
Do I need to quote this again? I'm really going to be pissed off if this is the truth:
Is it worse for you having 5 two minute installs with interactive elements during the game rather than one 10 minute install before it begins?

Just beat MGS3 for the first time tonight. Can't wait to get MGS4!

I originally intended to purchase MGS4 from Fry's because it's the closest store to me... but then I decided I wanted the Limited Edition and only Gamestop will have it.

So if anyone planned on buying the game from Fry's, you can have my pre-sell receipt for free so you can get $5 off the purchase of MGS4. PM me if you want it, i'll stick it in an envelope and mail it to you.

Nope, but it's my favourite videogames site. And hey, I disagree with as many as half of their reviews! For instance, I'm a big Ninja Gaiden fan and was surprised by their 7/10 review of NG2 (written, incidentally, by that same loathsome Xbox fanboy who gave Halo 3 10! And Blue Dragon 5! Honest opinions ftw!), but it's not going to impact my enjoyment of the game when I finally get to play it. And I will reserve judgement, until I get to play it. But then I guess I'm capable of not frothing at the mouth when things don't go the way I expected. You guys have gone batshit loopy over this good review of a great game, and it's bizarre to watch.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Yoboman said:
Is it worse for you having 5 two minute installs with interactive elements during the game rather than one 10 minute install before it begins?
Actually, yes. Yes it is.

FirewalkR

OT:

Busty said:
Banned. For a calendar month.
...for not reading the OP in a thread apparently.

He joked that he hadn't read the OP of the latest Full Moon Show thread before downloading and hearing the podcast (pretty normal behaviour) and got surprised when it ended so quickly. Just a joke, not thread derailment due to being lazy and not reading.
Incredibly stupid ban, and the fact that it's for one month only makes it worse.

ElyrionX

Yoboman said:

You know, mandatory installs are fucking lame but if I have to do it, I'd rather do it all right before the game starts.

Barrett2

I just need to pop in to say how awesome the wallpapers look when installed on my PS3. Every time I turn on my system for the next two weeks my hype increases another 10%

OP should get paid for what he did.
But not by me :)

Is it too much to ask for a detailed synopsis while you play? Some of us don't have a PS3 and still want to finally put an end to the saga.

In the 'op' a 80 GB euro-bundle is mentioned for € 439,-. However all retailers in the Netherlands offer only a 40 GB bundle - and that's without Dual Shock 3 controller - for
€ 439,-. Now I am a big fan of the series. But as of yet I don't own a PS3. And I don't wanna buy a package that isn't good value.

Can somebody clarify what's the deal here, and is there any chance that Konami may come around and offer the gunmetal PS3 in Europe?

So there are two installations mid-game?

In the hands of any other developer I'd be worried it would ruin the pacing. No doubt KP thought of something which makes it seamless.

LeoStenbuck said:
So there are two installations mid-game?

In the hands of any other developer I'd be worried it would ruin the pacing. No doubt KP thought of something which makes it seamless.
More than two. There's an animation of Snake smoking a cigarette during them I believe.

Tom Penny

Only problem I have with the Eurogamer review is they don't even talk about the gameplay. How the hell do you do a review and not talk about the new game mechanics? The word "Drebin" is not even in the review :lol Fail.

dak1dsk1

Banned
8/10 is probably a realistic score. I'm so sick and tired of the "100%-lie"
Too bad for Sony that MGS4 isn't the PS3 deal-sealer, but at least I won't have to buy another console. (I will play MGS4 via BC on ps4, or when ps3 emulators are out in a few years)

Yoboman

dak1dsk1 said:
Too bad for Sony that MGS4 isn't the PS3 deal-sealer, but at least I won't have to buy another console. (I will play MGS4 via BC on ps4, or when ps3 emulators are out in a few years)
:lol

dak1dsk1 said:

Yeah man, too bad for Sony indeed. :lol

dak1dsk1 said:

That is pretty funny.

dak1dsk1 said:

lol

Elios83

dak1dsk1 said:

Most ridicolous post in the thread? :lol

Yoboman

m0dus said:
It seems anyone could have predicted that the last few pages of this thread would devolve into an argument over one low review score--I say predict, because the same thing happened in the NG2 thread :)

One outlier is honestly not worth getting worked up about--when all is said and done, whatever tact some website takes to increase their daily hits by 10% shouldn't detract from the obvious outpouring of critical acclaim this game is already getting.
So how did you contribute to the OP?

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
SamuraiX- said:
Reviews have changed. They're no longer about reasonable views, or objectivity. They're not even about independent thoughts, justification, or consistency. They're an endless series of pissing contests, fought by ignorant and egotistical journalists.

Reviews, and their vast consumption of human intellect, have become an irrational, depleted source of reliability.

Reviews have changed. ID-tagged journalists carry ID-tagged websites, use ID-tagged review scores. Illogical opinions inside their minds enhance and regulate their actions.

Hype control... Information control... Opinion control... Message board control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Reviews have changed. The age of journalism reliance is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from reasonable review scores. And he who controls the message boards, controls history.

Reviews have changed. When the message boards are under total control, mandatory criticism becomes routine.
:lol

dak1dsk1 said:

:lol KINGOFNOOBS's alternate account.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Nicely done OP, You could craft that into a damn website with some tables.

dak1dsk1 said:
You're not Anihawk.

Shake Appeal said:

Seriously!
Have you read the Eurogamer Halo3 review and still claim the guy is not a fan of the Halo franchise? :lol

Dude, get a grip!

Fina1e

dak1dsk1 said:

:lol :lol

Wow.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Yoboman said:
OPM UK said 29 hours
Thats a good length. I wonder how much of that is cutscenes. There's bound to be a lot. I read this interview where Hayter said that the recording sessions for MGS4 were much much longer than the recording sessions for the previous MGS games.

Doc Evils

dak1dsk1 said:

moran.jpg

Mash

Oh lord this is going to get ugly again. By the way "Eurogamer defence force" is such a lame way to disguise a bias. People (including myself) were simply surprised so many people took offence to some reviewers own view because it wasn't all sparkles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom