• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

antiloop

Lince said:
awesome OP and thread

review from meristation.com
link

10/10

+ the perfect game for Metal Gear fans
+ exciting, shocking, emotive
+ a movie perfectly mixed into a videogame
+ the art design and direction
+ brilliant visuals and sound
+ missions variety
+ new gameplay features improving the MGS experience
+ attention to detail, some of it only true fans will notice
+ the plot, answering every question about the saga

- tech./graphic. shortcoming (slowdown, loading between missions, some textures)
- if you haven't been following Kojima's work in MGS this might not be your game

Sounds great for fans.

ElyrionX

There's two distinct type of people posting now in this thread:

The first group would be the people who have just clicked on this thread for the first time and instantly hit reply to congratulate the OP for an epic official thread well done.

The other group would be the people who have already congratulated the OP and are now bitching about the Eurogamer score.

Let's see what happens when US GAF wakes up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
BeeDog said:
I have a feeling reviewers won't think the same. Btw, did I ever game vs. you in the beta?
No I don't think so :/

You'd remember me, I was the one who never died and kept CQC, Stun and Stabbing people ;)

JCtheMC

Just came in here to thank BruceLeeRoy for the amazing OP's.

I've never played any of the MGS games, Neogaf hype is pushing me towards a day 1 purchase.

BeeDog

Seiken said:
No I don't think so :/

You'd remember me, I was the one who never died and kept CQC, Stun and Stabbing people ;)

I now remember I met you once or twice. Pff, you weren't as good as the clan leader, that GeneralCostro or whatever he was called. ;p I think I whacked you a couple of times.

Superfrog

Holy shit @ OP, this is the best official thread I've ever seen! o_O

Btw, are there any higher res pictures of the PAL Limited Edition yet?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Superfrog said:
Btw, are there any higher res pictures of the PAL Limited Edition yet?
Not yet :(
BeeDog said:
I now remember I met you once or twice. Pff, you weren't as good as the clan leader, that GeneralCostro or whatever he was called. ;p I think I whacked you a couple of times.
NO YOU DID NOT WHACK ME [angry-kittonwy-smile]!

syllogism

Absinthe said:
How is there nothing wrong with the content when the guy had people that dislike the past games in mind when awarding the game a score? That is illogical.
Zuh? That's not what it says and the reviewer said the previous games had been a love/hate relationships for him and so is this game.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
[HP] said:
bundles1.jpg

Is this information correct? Because afaik the 80gb PS3 will not be sold on EU, here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Retail_configurations

I didn't think Europe bundle had Dualshock or 80GB

decon

Amazing thread, just blogged it to let the world know how awesome this shit is :D Get on the hype train people!

arg-newtrain-crop.gif

[HP]

yeah, just confirmed it, that info is incorrect.

I already PM'ed BruceLeeRoy, there is no 80gb pack planed for EU, not even dualshock3 controllers on day 12.
Given the importance of this thread, that may confuse people.

syllogism said:
Zuh? That's not what it says and the reviewer said the previous games had been a love/hate relationships for him and so is this game.

He specifically mentions the "millions" of people that dislike the game in the review.

Absinthe said:
He specifically mentions the "millions" of people that dislike the game in the review.

I can't think of any logical reason of why he would have wrote that. What is it the purpose of it in a review?

flat-out stating that millions of people hate MGS in a review is just ridiculous, really. Every game out there in the market has millions of people that are totally indifferent to it.

syllogism

Absinthe said:
Why even mention that when the game was clearly designed for fans of the series? It's fan service.
Are you suggesting all the reviews should be written by people who unconditionally loved the previous installments? So 50 Cent 2 should be reviewed by a person who loved the original game?

SamuraiX-

Reviews have changed. They're no longer about reasonable views, or objectivity. They're not even about independent thoughts, justification, or consistency. They're an endless series of pissing contests, fought by ignorant and egotistical journalists.

Reviews, and their vast consumption of human intellect, have become an irrational, depleted source of reliability.

Reviews have changed. ID-tagged journalists carry ID-tagged websites, use ID-tagged review scores. Illogical opinions inside their minds enhance and regulate their actions.

Hype control... Information control... Opinion control... Message board control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Reviews have changed. The age of journalism reliance is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from reasonable review scores. And he who controls the message boards, controls history.

Reviews have changed. When the message boards are under total control, mandatory criticism becomes routine.

Id.

SamuraiX- said:
Reviews have changed. They're no longer about reasonable views, or objectivity. They're not even about independent thoughts, justification, or consistency. They're an endless series of pissing contests, fought by ignorant and egotistical journalists.

Reviews, and their vast consumption of human intellect, have become an irrational, depleted source of reliability.

Reviews have changed. ID-tagged journalists carry ID-tagged websites, use ID-tagged review scores. Illogical opinions inside their minds enhance and regulate their actions.

Hype control... Information control... Opinion control... Message board control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Reviews have changed. The age of journalism reliance is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from reasonable review scores. And he who controls the message boards, controls history.

Reviews have changed. When the message boards are under total control, mandatory criticism becomes routine.
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

ElyrionX

SamuraiX- said:

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! :lol

Post of the MONTH! (except for the OP in this thread of course)

I mean, I'm no writer, but it just seems like a blatant unjustified attack on the series. After all, shouldn't he be reviewing MGS4 on it's own merits?

ymmv

Banned
Shake Appeal said:
An 8 out of 10 (80%!) review that praises the game (reservedly) and makes clear than fans of the series are going to be completely satsified and bowled over by it is a 'diatribe' now?

Because a game like GTA4 was reviewed by completely different standards. GTA4 was not a 10 out of 10 game. It didn't innovate, it was a next gen visual makeover with a number of graphical issues. In my book GTA4 should have been given a 8/10 at most.

Kyoufu

SamuraiX- said:

Hahaha thats awesome. :lol

Yoshichan

SamuraiX- said:

I'M DYING! OMG, IT'S PERFECT :lol

SamuraiX- said:

I wanna squeeze your cheeks.

Tr4nce

Let me commend you on this thread, dude. I was remotely interested in this game, but now I just want to read all of the info in the OP. Cheers.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm also one of the people who don't understand how GTA 4 got such high reviews, deserves at most an 8/10. It has done a lot in terms of scale / atmosphere , but not a whole lot much in the gameplay / graphics department.

for farksake u guys need to go outside and take a deep breath and put things into perspective, beside IGN >Eurogamer and the score of MGS4 reflect that. lol.

Yoboman

syllogism said:
Because there's absolutely nothing wrong with the content
Besides being an ode to people who hate the series as much, if not more than those who love them. He seemed to express the bad over the good, but never justifying it. He complained the game has been shaken up but is still the same but didn't explain what he meant. Leaving me to think, maybe he was expecting it to stop being a stealth game, or something of the sort. He expressed that it hasn't done enough to keep up with the competition, but never explained how or what the competition is even supposed to be

By and large the only thing he seemed to communicate effectively was that he hates cutscenes. Is that enough to brush aside everything else it does? He seems to think so

Lakitu

st5fu
At the end of the day, it's only one reviewers opinion. No matter how bitter, ridiculous, stupid it might be. It's getting amazing scores all over the place, anyway.

Jtrizzy

That review made me cringe. It had a very negative tone and seemed as if it was trying to be different and negative for the sake of bein different and negative.

antiloop

SamuraiX- said:

Holy hell. :)

I read the Eurogamer review again. He rants a lot but there isn't much substance to it or justification.

SamuraiX- said:

I said WOW.

Yoboman

SamuraiX- said:

Tag this man for this :lol

kay

Presentation: Comes in standard PS3 case.
Graphics: Polygons and textures are great in number but lack peanuts.
Sound: Too many voices to keep track of.
Gameplay: Wannabe FPS.
Lasting Appeal: Until the disc rots.

63 Overall (out of 17/an average)

SamuraiX-

^_^

I just wanted to say I got the idea from a friend. We were talking about Eurogamer's MGS4 score and GAF's reaction to it and in the middle of the conversation he just said "Reviews have changed." I decided I wanted to expand on that. :D

And with that said, see you all later this morning. I'm off to bed. :)

Mash

SamuraiX- said:
^_^

I just wanted to say I got the idea from a friend. We were talking about Eurogamer's MGS4 score and GAF's reaction to it and in the middle of the conversation he just said "Reviews have changed." I decided I wanted to expand on that. :D

And with that said, see you all later this morning. I'm off to bed. :)

When everyone state side wakes up there may be no Gaf to wake up to if the reactions so far are anything to go by.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Print Media is dead to me, web media is the same way, dont go to IGN and what not any more.... the new way is Gaf... and message boards, but we still feed of these other media outlets to validate our opinions on things :( its a coorazy world, we need devs and publishers to start premiering stuff on boards and stuff, we hype the shit out of stuff more than any other media can and its eventually picked up by the media anyways :(

Fucking Eurogamer. :lol

SamuraiX- said:

thats actually well put together and articulated (though obviously an exaggeration)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom