• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
I don't think he really did at all. A fair review would've understood that fans want and expect lots of cutscenes, but a fair review would've examined the strides Kojima and co. to make the gameplay more accessible and (I'm presuming) the interactive elements more prevelant in cutscenes to strike that balance between what long-time fans want and those who need more interactivity

As it was, that all got ignored

not to be 'that guy' have you played the game beyond E3/TGS demos and MGO?

i'm at the point of frustration here, i'm as excited as anyone about the game, but all i see is everyone already decided that the game is 10/10 game of forever and anyone who has played it who doesn't agree with that either has some sort of agenda or is a moraans or both.

again, we all know what Kojima is capable off, and we are all behind Ryan and the team, but the preemptive judgement based on reviews (which are either credible or incredible depending on your predetermined judgement of whatever, lets face it, score they got) and personal expectations is starting to look a bit sad.

i'm sure this IS a high calibre game, hell, maybe is a 10/10 game - right now, i can't call that because i've only played a small chunk of the game but the fact that no one is questioning the integrity of the 10/10 100% 5/5 reviews or going over -every- -single- -statement- a la the eurogamer review also does speak volumes about where we are in terms of 'platform think'

people need to step back. :/

mabuza

Banned
gofreak said:
It's always so predictable that people hone in on - and inadvertently give greater attention and importance to - 'rogue' reviews that are out of step with the consensus or an expected consensus.

It happens with practically every big game, just let it go..
dp.

mabuza

Banned
gofreak said:
It's always so predictable that people hone in on - and inadvertently give greater attention and importance to - 'rogue' reviews that are out of step with the consensus or an expected consensus.

yep. you can have like every publication giving the game perfect scores yet everyone will still focus on the one negative score. and lol @ this thread already passing the ng2 thread

indie85

Banned
gofreak said:

Because rogue reviewers need to be called out on their shit?

lol @ PS3 emulators. Never gonna happen.

...and people need to chill about the Eurogamer review. 8 is a good score from someone that doesn't like metal gear. opinionated reviews are opinionated. Get over it.

ElyrionX

DCharlie said:

i'm at the point of frustration here, i'm as excited as anyone about the game, but all i see is everyone already decided that the game is 10/10 game of forever and anyone who has played it who doesn't agree with that either has some sort of agenda or is a moraans or both.

again, we all know what Kojima is capable off, and we are all behind Ryan and the team, but the preemptive judgement based on reviews (which are either credible or incredible depending on your predetermined judgement of whatever, lets face it, score they got) and personal expectations is starting to look a bit sad.

i'm sure this IS a high calibre game, hell, maybe is a 10/10 game - right now, i can't call that because i've only played a small chunk of the game but the fact that no one is questioning the integrity of the 10/10 100% 5/5 reviews or going over -every- -single- -statement- a la the eurogamer review also does speak volumes about where we are in terms of 'platform think'

Great post that will probably get ignored.

mabuza said:
and lol @ this thread already passing the ng2 thread

you criticize all the fanboy posts but you just can't help yourself, can you? lol

DCharlie said:

well said, it applies to all of these types of threads.

but the fact that these are official threads and are meant to generate hype (just look at the OPs) you get a different crowd than regular threads discussing the good/bad of a game..

There isn't much room for a 'negative' opinion in an official thread

Yoboman

DCharlie said:

What does my playing it have to do with anything? I'm not calling him out for disliking the gameplay, I'm calling him out for not discussing the gameplay at all, in a positive or negative light. Well at least not segmenting it to one sentence.

You need to step back AND read, Chuck

Xun

jskvsjava skas fas fao jufogas gioa g

That's all I can really say about this whole thread.

Oh and OP, awesome post.

why is everyone spending so much time discussing the 8/10? what does it really matter? its making reading this thread boring...why not discuss the game more than the review scores?

PhatSaqs

Banned
AndyIsTheMoney said:
why is everyone spending so much time discussing the 8/10? what does it really matter? its making reading this thread boring...why not discuss the game more than the review scores?
That'll happen probably on the 12th....

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
DCharlie said:

This is why I dont really discuss reviews. I cant agree with or criticise anyone's review because I havent played the game.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
SamuraiX- said:
Reviews have changed. They're no longer about reasonable views, or objectivity. They're not even about independent thoughts, justification, or consistency. They're an endless series of pissing contests, fought by ignorant and egotistical journalists.

Reviews, and their vast consumption of human intellect, have become an irrational, depleted source of reliability.

Reviews have changed. ID-tagged journalists carry ID-tagged websites, use ID-tagged review scores. Illogical opinions inside their minds enhance and regulate their actions.

Hype control... Information control... Opinion control... Message board control. Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

Reviews have changed. The age of journalism reliance is now the age of control, averting catastrophe from reasonable review scores. And he who controls the message boards, controls history.

Reviews have changed. When the message boards are under total control, mandatory criticism becomes routine.

:lol :lol :lol :lol

THIS POST NEEDS TO BE IN O.P.

FabCam

ElyrionX said:
Great post that will probably get ignored.

When every preview is building it up to be one of the best games ever, then the first few reviews say it's one of the best games ever made, I think we can assume it will be an awesome game.

sajj316

DigitalSoul said:
Well, I don't think 8/10 is really a "negative" score.

In the Metal Gear world ... it is. In reading the Eurogamer review, I found myself disgusted. What are you reviewing Eurogamer? The series or the game? Also, the review comes as shock after reading the preview of the game from Eurogamer (those guys spent 3 WHOLE days on this game).

IGN UK -> 9.9 = you're good snake, but you fall .1 short to GTA IV. I'm sure GAF can come up with a laundry list of items in GTA IV that would knock it down from its perfect 10 score.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I suppose the Eurogamer review does come off as a bit of a rant, but in reality, I think this is a good sign for everyone. The reviewer clearly wasn't a fan of certain elements previously seen in MGS games (heavy dose of cutscenes, for instance), yet still seemed to enjoy the game in the end. I think it's safe to say that fans will love it, but it's also interesting to hear the opinions of those who aren't quite as into the series.

diffusionx

Gold Member
As long as EG backed up their score its not fair to rail against them. Railing against sites blindly because you don't like the score they gave your pet game just puts pressure on the sites to give out bling scores to keep the fanboys/advertisers happy and not cause a ruckus. For the big franchises its easier just to give out a 10/10 and let the fanboys link it endlessly.

This whole thing where a game comes out, gets ludicrously high scores, then gets backlashed out the ass because it does/doesn't deserve the scores is getting old. I'd rather if they think its an 8/10 give it an 8/10, tell us why, and let us make our decision. It's not like anyone is gonna be dissuaded from buying the game because of Eurogamer's review, so what is the issue? MGS4's ranking on GameRankings? Who cares about that BS?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
When every preview is building it up to be one of the best games ever, then the first few reviews say it's one of the best games ever made, I think we can assume it will be an awesome game.

GTA had the self same thing.

i have WAY more faith in MGS4, but i'm just putting out there that the same mistakes made with GTA hype are being potentially repeated here.

people will never learn.

Yoboman

diffusionx said:
As long as EG backed up their score its not fair to rail against them. Railing against sites blindly because you don't like the score they gave your pet game just puts pressure on the sites to give out bling scores to keep the fanboys/advertisers happy and not cause a ruckus. For the big franchises its easier just to give out a 10/10 and let the fanboys link it endlessly.

This whole thing where a game comes out, gets ludicrously high scores, then gets backlashed out the ass because it does/doesn't deserve the scores is getting old. I'd rather if they think its an 8/10 give it an 8/10, tell us why, and let us make our decision. It's not like anyone is gonna be dissuaded from buying the game because of Eurogamer's review, so what is the issue? MGS4's ranking on GameRankings? Who cares about that BS?
Well if they'd done that, you'd be right

jmd494

It's funny, if the Eurogamer review had come out a month later after several more of what I'm guessing will be mostly 9.5+ review scores, it would have lost a lot of it's impact. It would have been the statistical outlier, rather than a statistical driver.

I'm not specifically questioning the integrity of Eurogamer -- at least not any more than the integrity of IGN or OPM :)lol); however, I am questioning (read: not condeming!) the integrity of any review that comes out 12+ days before the game's launch and is in the first 10% of reviews.

Questios we should be asking are:

Did someone at IGN make score promises to receive relative exclusivity for MGS4's review?

Did someone at Eurogamer make the connection that giving MGS4 an 8/10 would make them a zillion dollars in advertising revenue? Did they realize that this zillion dollars would go bye-bye if their review wasn't one of the first 3 on metacritic (i.e. Did they realize that they had to rush the review out if they didn't want people to ignore their score -- no one is going to pay any mind to an 8 in a sea of 10's)

Did someone at Official PlayStation magazine...I'll stop there.

Reviews from the major media sites are VERY LIKELY driven by some agenda that run the gamut from trying to please fanboys/fan bases to trying to stir up controversy and website hits. Just saying...

FabCam

sajj316 said:
IGN UK -> 9.9 = you're good snake, but you fall .1 short to GTA IV. I'm sure GAF can come up with a laundry list of items in GTA IV that would knock it down from its perfect 10 score.

I don't think anyone is really complaining about a 9.9. That is pretty much a perfect score anyways but if you really want to make it perfect just keep in mind that they didn't include MGO in the review. 9.5 lasting appeal from just the SP part of the game is amazing. So I would assume one of the best online components of a game I've played will add the other .5.

DigitalSoul said:
Really, we should be discussing "Metal Gear". The OP put a lot of effort into this official thread, lets not ruin it by getting caught up talking about review scores.

too late...controversial review scores are like fires, if you don't stop them in their infancy than they will burn the house down

Yoboman

DCharlie said:
GTA had the self same thing.

i have WAY more faith in MGS4, but i'm just putting out there that the same mistakes made with GTA hype are being potentially repeated here.

people will never learn.
I agree, the Gamepro review was just a disgusting shitshake of hyperbole. But if you're going between that and the other end of the spectrum, which is a rant against the series then it's no good either way

DigitalSoul said:
Really, we should be discussing "Metal Gear". The OP put a lot of effort into this official thread, lets not ruin it by getting caught up talking about review scores.
I agree. Let's start off by answering my question:

U K Narayan said:
Does anyone know if Nastasha Romanenko is in this? She set up Philantropy, so, wouldn't it make sense to see her again?

systemshock02.jpg

SHODAN APPROVES OF THIS THREAD

No matter how you feel about the game, going to metacritic and seeing this as a summary for the Euroganer review is odd given the score they gave the game:

Eurogamer said:
Guns of the Patriots is a frustrating, fractured game that turns Metal Gear Solid's world upside down several times over, but never changes it.

That doesn't sound like an 80/100 game to me.

Disclaimer: I'm not commenting on the game itself, just that the comment doesn't match the score. It's completely inflammatory, and I'm sure with good reason.

Frillen

Doc Evils said:
SCREW Eurogamer when they give average garbage like GRID a 9 and an EPIC game like MGS4 an 8.

First of all, GRiD is actually a VERY good game. Along the lines of the quality of DiRT, which was also a great game.
Secondly, you haven't played MGS4 so please spear your pitchforks comments.

sajj316

FabCam said:
I don't think anyone is really complaining about a 9.9. That is pretty much a perfect score anyways but if you really want to make it perfect just keep in mind that they didn't include MGO in the review. 9.5 lasting appeal from just the SP part of the game is amazing. So I would assume one of the best online components of a game I've played will add the other .5.

You know FabCam, a 9.5 I could understand ... but .1 from perfection is the ultimate cock block in the world of video game scores!

FirewalkR

Damn... those avatars in the OP are really great. If I hadn't already decided I'll keep the Heavy Rain avatar till the game is released (lol?) I'd use one.

k79

Banned
I have a feeling this is gonna be the most trolled thread in a long time! (an incredible feat. considering the GTAIV, KZ2 and GeOW2 threads). Too many familiar faces of people whose sole purpose is to downplay rival games, all under the pretense of objectivity and reason, naturally.

Yoboman

gregor7777 said:
No matter how you feel about the game, going to metacritic and seeing this as a summary for the Euroganer review is odd given the score they gave the game:

That doesn't sound like an 80/100 game to me.

Disclaimer: I'm not commenting on the game itself, just that the comment doesn't match the score. It's completely inflammatory, and I'm sure with good reason.
This is the kind of thing I'd liked to have seen them actually expand on, and discuss what they mean by things like "never changing", what were they expecting to change? Reading through the review I couldn't find faults mentioned that match what they mean by this, so I'm guessing they're saying it's fractured they're talking about cutscenes again, as that seems to be the only prevelant problem discussed for three pages

dark10x said:
I think Eurogamer has presented a fair review. The reviewer immediately notes which elements he was not particularly fond of in previous games. The review seems intended for both fans and non-fans alike. If you love the series, their score really shouldn't mean anything, but for those skeptical about it or those who were turned off by certain elements in the past, I think the review means a bit more.

We all knew this wasn't going to be a game for everyone. I never quite understood WHY Metal Gear Solid was placed alongside stuff like Grand Theft Auto and Halo as a killer app for everyone. It's amazing that it has done as well as it has thus far.

then can you please explain why the 10 from OPM, the 10 from Gamepro and a 9.9 from IGN is not a fair review since you are suggesting that out of the 4 legitimate reviews thus far, the fairest review in your opinion is the one that has the lowest scored?

EGM :lol More than expected, what with their scale ending at 8 for PS3 exclusives.
Now we need 7.5 from GS and we're set.

Did people who defend the review as being "fair" or written by a "non fan" even read it? It's obviously a rant, he hates cut scenes, but won't discuss the new amazing gameplay.

k79 said:
I have a feeling this is gonna be the most trolled thread in a long time! (an incredible feat. considering the GTAIV, KZ2 and GeOW2 threads). Too many familiar faces of people whose sole purpose is to downplay rival games, all under the pretense of objectivity and reason, naturally.

theres a quote my xbl friends and i have, and use quite often, and i feel it fits perfectly to your point...

"The nerds are lurking"

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
U K Narayan said:
I agree. Let's start off by answering my question:

I read something in MGS2, it was a short story written thru the perspectıve of Nastasha Romanenko. Her point of view when the Shadow Moses incident happened and some stuff afterwards. But can`t really remember much of it, so no idea if we see her back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom