• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamuraiX-

The Chef said:
Thanks to my wonderful GameStops I had no midnight launch anywhere - I was tossing all night.

1 hour 37 min...

I think there were some places doing midnight launches some miles away from my house, but not at the closest GameStop where I initially preordered my LE copy 3 months ago. :lol

This is seriously like the longest hour of my life. XD

v0yce

plaguis said:
Who's enraged? I want to hear MORE about the game - I want detailed impressions so far, not over the top reactionary statements.

Don't be that guy.

Its okay to get excited about things. Lighten up and have some fun.

I mean, what impressions do you need? Do you like the Metal Gear series? If so, then you'll want to play this regardless of impressions. If not, don't bother.

I'm not sure what you're fishing for here.

ghibli99

Nice to see this level of excitement for the game. :) I'll be picking up my LE preorder after work tonight. Can't wait for the strat guide pressure sale.

sutdawg

I just picked up my copy while I was at lunch, now I must go back to work and stare at the game for another 4.5 hours... this is going to be a long day at work.

The Chef

SamuraiX- said:
I think there were some places doing midnight launches some miles away from my house, but not at the closest GameStop where I initially preordered my LE copy 3 months ago. :lol

This is seriously like the longest hour of my life. XD

Same thing with me - I asked the best buy guy (who was doing a midnight launch) if they were getting LE's (I forgot it was GS exclusive) - He says "Well uh... no, but common do you really need the soundtrack?"
I almost slapped him! I quickly snapped back "Have you ever played MGS!?"
He shuffled his feet nervously and said "Well I hope I see you tonight!"

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Some days ago Ryan Payton talked about a surprise on launchday that noone could spoil prior the release. Someone know what it is?

Jeseus

waiting is over

Fotografia537.jpg

Az

It is 11.30am here in Florida, I just took an early lunch and picked up my copy at Gamestop without a reservation. They have about 30 copies that I saw behind the counter. Now I have to make it until 5.00pm so I can finally play it.
For some odd reason I am starting to feel sick hmmm.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Please put litter in it's place!

Use an ashtray for cigarette butts and ashes.
:lol

v0yce

kamorra said:
Some days ago Ryan Payton talked about a surprise on launchday that noone could spoil prior the release. Someone know what it is?

I'm guessing it will be some kind of download in the "extras" menu. New camo or song or something.

Teknoman

Nozdeuce said:
so GAF clans are gonna take a while, have to have 20 hours played and be level 3.

With the single player availible as well, might take awhile. Then again who knows. I'll be snagging mine this evening though.

people at my gamestop were so excited.. even an old lady was in the line for the game haha.... bundles sold out almost immediately... i had a chance to get one.. but i decided to let someone else get it instead of me putting it on ebay for cash... all the people who bought the bundle bought the LE seperate...:lol ... hardcore i guess

Holy SHIT!

Spoilers if you haven't defeated Act 3 Boss yet
So I am fighting Raging Raven, beat her pretty easy in her beast mode, now she's in beauty mode. I'm looking for the statue, but can't find it, and all of a sudden I'm warped into some empty area.. The Construct..

Anyway, I made a video of what can only be described as the very first boss fight you can actually fap to.
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~adamesat/Stuff/fapfap.mov
Let's just say, Raging Raven has one heck of an ass.

Dazzyman

hirokazu said:
That's because you're in a PAL region already. I think what we really want to find out, for example, is playing an NTSC version in a PAL country, regardless of the machine.

Well in the past its either been the machine whats locked like RFOM which as i said isnt the case on this or game locked like UT3 was when that came out and F1 & Motorstorm is (ie NTSC machine PAL game so euro servers only which is what Id rather have). We know now its not machine locked so PAL game works fine on NTSC machine as I didnt fancy months of quiet servers like RFOM again.

The installation didnt bother me. I sat and watched him for a min then plugged the pad in and recharged it. Took longer to take a dump than install so it was done when I got back feeling much lighter :lol

AndyD

aka andydumi
I picked my bundle up yesterday during lunch (Walmart was more than happy to break the date) and I chatted with the manager who pulled all the employees around and taught them how to ring up the gift card.

But I called ahead (last night around 6) and picked up a second bundle for my friend on my way into work this morning, and I got the last one. The manager said all the Wally worlds were sold out in the city, and he only held one for me since I knew him and already got one yesterday.

He said he expected about a dozen more over the next week, and similar numbers at other stores, but he said with the 100 gift card he has sold at least 30-50 units over the past two weeks.

He said its been a great thing for Walmart, as they have been able to get people to immediately spend the gift card on accessories, Blurays, games... he even made quite a few HDTV sales.

The game is great, I cant believe I am stuck at work til about 6 tonight.

Is anyone playing this on a SDTV? I'm not going to be able to afford an HDTV until Christmas at the very least.

Also, are the bundles limited or are they going to continue releasing them through the year?

I'm buying a PS3 for this game. There's going to be at least a minor bump in hardware sales.

bdizzle said:
lol i meant long as in i waited 3+ years for the game and the last 8 minutes were the hardest lol. check my post history, ive never made a bad comment about installing a game. i just usually scratch my balls or browse gaf while it's happening.

Oh sorry. I just figured it was the best chance of getting it off my chest lol. It's just something I've been meaning to post and I didn't want it to be too random and your post looked like in lol.

Still I take it you agree with my point?

The Chef

Absinthe said:
Is anyone playing this on a SDTV? I'm not going to be able to afford an HDTV until Christmas at the very least.

Also, are the bundles limited or are they going to continue releasing them through the year?

I'm buying a PS3 for this game. There's going to be at least a minor bump in hardware sales.

You need to get an HDTV for this game. Just go buy one at Costco on a credit card and then when you get the bill in the mail just put a "Return to sender" sticker on it.
Its worked for me for years.

angelfly

Quick question: I'm heading off to pick up my copy in a bit and was debating a DS3 as well. Are there any section in the game that make extensive use of rumble is is it just used as normal?

The Chef said:
You need to get an HDTV for this game. Just go buy one at Costco on a credit card and then when you get the bill in the mail just put a "Return to sender" sticker on it.
Its worked for me for years.

I can't afford one. I'm a college student and I really don't make the money to afford a PS3. The only reason why I can afford one at the moment is because I'm working 40 hours a week. My pay will go down big time when classes start back.

Well I have to say.

I don't have a PS3 and never really been into MGS but I am glad to know that at least one game has been able to fulfill the promises of the videos and teasers and hype.

Enjoy it fellas.

*No, I can't buy a PS3 (at these prices) for one game.

ghibli99

The Chef said:
Hey btw shouldn't this thread be a sticky by now?
Kinda surprised that it's not, but maybe there's a reason... I'll be surprised if this thread makes it to page 2 over the next week or so, so I guess it's pretty much a sticky anyway.

inner-G

Banned
Absinthe said:
I can't afford one. I'm a college student and I really don't make the money to afford a PS3. The only reason why I can afford one at the moment is because I'm working 40 hours a week. My pay will go down big time when classes start back.
If you have a widescreen LCD for your PC, you could run it through that...

Kastro said:
fuck I just realized I don't have a DS3.

do I need to make another Target trip before I go home?
YES

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Teknoman said:
With the single player availible as well, might take awhile. Then again who knows. I'll be snagging mine this evening though.
Im starting out with MGO, so I'm working on it :lol

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Oh sorry. I just figured it was the best chance of getting it off my chest lol. It's just something I've been meaning to post and I didn't want it to be too random and your post looked like in lol.

Still I take it you agree with my point?

lol naw it's cool. just didnt wanna be confused with the whiny gaffers that always finds something to complain about.

ya i agree. i remember installing ff11 for pc and THAT was a long install. i swear that thing took like an hour to install the 5 disks, and i still didn't complain. i just watched tv, listened to music and chatted on aim with my friend who already bought the game.

Doc Evils

Is anyone else mindblwon by the detail Kojima has put into the uniforms and weapons? Seeing Snake turn off the safety accuratly is INSANE.

Not to mention the shooting mechanics is PERFECT.

inner-G said:
If you have a widescreen LCD for your PC, you could run it through that...

YES

No, I can't. My monitor isn't HDCP enabled even though it's less than two years old. We hooked up my friend's PS3 to it and it won't show anything.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
sutdawg said:
I just picked up my copy while I was at lunch, now I must go back to work and stare at the game for another 4.5 hours... this is going to be a long day at work.

This for me, except I actually still have 1 hour 10 minutes before I can LEAVE for lunch, and a 20 minute drive to PICK UP the game...then 4.5 hours before I go home...

plaguis said:
Who's enraged? I want to hear MORE about the game - I want detailed impressions so far, not over the top reactionary statements.

expecting anything other than incoherent 'OMGGGGGG's in the official thread, the first day the game is released is asking too much

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Games is awesome thus far (as expected). The intro was completely different from what I expected and totally incredible. Just taking a break for lunch now.

Absinthe said:

Don't listen to everyone. You can enjoy this without an HDTV. It will still look awesome. You can even adjust the overscan (in order to avoid cutting anything off) and change the size of the icons and such. They clearly took SDTVs into account when creating this game.

Dever

Banned
ghibli99 said:
Kinda surprised that it's not, but maybe there's a reason... I'll be surprised if this thread makes it to page 2 over the next week or so, so I guess it's pretty much a sticky anyway.

It's pretty amazing considering the amount of MGS fans that got banned in the Penny Arcade thread. :lol

Damn, I JUST picked up the game and now I have to go to work. Sigh... this is probably going to be the longest 8 hours of my life.

Kastro said:
fuck I just realized I don't have a DS3.

do I need to make another Target trip before I go home?
Damn Kastro, you just reminded me too... shit I need one as well. I'll pick one up at work though.

Doc Evils

dark10x said:
Games is awesome thus far (as expected). The intro was completely different from what I expected and totally incredible. Just taking a break for lunch now.

Don't listen to everyone. You can enjoy this without an HDTV. It will still look awesome. You can even adjust the overscan (in order to avoid cutting anything off) and change the size of the icons and such. They clearly took SDTVs into account when creating this game.

Kojima got me again with that mindfuck intro at the start. :lol

Hixx

Pretty big Act 4 spoilers:
Holy shit, just figured out how to kill Vamp after 5 times of getting his health to 0. Sneaky bitch of a game: it took him saying his nanomachines line twice for me to click on. That is absolutely fantastic!

This game is just amazing. Again, big Act 4 spoilers:
my eyes started stinging when the the MGS ending tune played at the heliport. Just wow. I'm such a softie :(

acm2000 said:
it IS a criticism of MGS4 for everyone except the hardcore fans of the series, who would love it no matter what, which is the same for any big series of games, the fanboys will ignore the flaws.

I suppose the other fanboys will exaggerate them right....???

Personally, I've found many of mgs plot points hilarious, but Ive been able to understand most of it....seriously its easy compared to remembering enzyme names in cell biology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom