• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Anyone else a little disappointed in the quality of the american LE box? My front cover has all these little air bubbles. I'm guessing they skimped on the quality since it was Gamestop exclusive, but I wish we could have got the superior Euro packaging.

Also what the heck were people talking about when they said you couldn't make Codec calls in this game, only receive them? That's bs. I was having trouble finding the Rat Patrol rendezvous point in that multi-level building, I called Otacon, and he tipped me off that it was one the very top floor. Very helpful.

Jtrizzy

They actually do a good job of explaining the background, but it won't have the same meaning for you. Virtually every character that they talk about in 4 had a fairly sizable role in the previous games. I think people who hadn't played the old ones would still like this one though. This is hands down the best one in the series.

The only ridiculous part I can think of right now was when
Raiden was spinning around with the Gekkos attached to his legs. That was a bit much
Other than that, I think the cut scenes are much better and the game is generally better in every way.

One complaint is
the loading scenes that happen during the getaway scenes

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
This boss battle is freaking nuts :lol

The hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up

The sheer creativity, cleverness, and attention to detail is so refreshing. I love seeing paintings on the wall shake when grenades explode, I love seeing trademark wackiness....

Firewire

Banned
Just picked up my Limited Edition! :D

Feel sorry for the people looking for the MGS4 bundles, there where 4 guys in line at my EB that got turned away. Apparently they got very few bundles and sold them at opening this morning.

near

Gold Member
Bloody hell, just played it almost 6hours straight. The game is brilliant, but I so underestimated this boss battle :(

Undeux

All you people who have already finished it are scaring me. I hope you're just running through the game in a hardcore rush.

The Chef

Firewire said:
Just picked up my Limited Edition! :D

Feel sorry for the people looking for the MGS4 bundles, there where 4 guys in line at my EB that got turned away. Apparently they got very few bundles and sold them at opening this morning.

Same with my GS - two guys wanted the bundle and it was sold out. Thats crazy

Xater

Y2Kev said:
This boss battle is freaking nuts :lol

The hair on the back of my neck is standing straight up

I really got goosebumps during one cutscene.

When Snake and the rest of the gang walk towards the camera for their final mission. ogether with the music it just got to me.

near

Gold Member
Undeux said:
All you people who have already finished it are scaring me. I hope you're just running through the game in a hardcore rush.

I think I'm far from finishing it, this is my first boss fight, and I've been playing it for roughly 6 hours. But I have been taking my time :p

womfalcs3

Banned
Apparently weight of weaponry and accessories is a factor in strategy. I can't exceed 70 kg in carried mass or my stress levels significantly increase.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I was going to go into detail about what I like about the game so far but all I can say is...This game. is amazing. I love you Kojima. I.love.you

mattiewheels said:
this game is tense. i'm dying a lot and actually scared a little. i'm crawling on my belly most of the time :lol

Tell me about it, COD4 made me forget about the fear of war. MGS4 brought it back.

I caved in and bought the Limited Edition guide when I picked my game up. It's a thing of beauty, though.

only about an hour and a half in... but holy fucking shit. Kojima is the man.... and I'm not even a Metal Gear fanatic, either. @_@ :D

TheJollyCorner said:
I caved in and bought the Limited Edition guide when I picked my game up. It's a thing of beauty, though.

only about an hour and a half in... but holy fucking shit. Kojima is the man.... and I'm not even a Metal Gear fanatic, either. @_@ :D

Me too man I saw the hard cover and once they told me there was a discount coupon I had to get it.

TeTr1C

So I got it this morning from GameStop. I've played about 2 hours so far of it. This is unbelievable. I'm talking about everything: how good it looks, how well it plays, how much freedom there is now, how much stuff there is to find. The MGS series is probably my favorite in all of video games, and I must say, this is the best version of Metal Gear Solid you can get. It's everything I've hoped for so far. I can't wait to see what happens when the story starts to pick up and things get crazy.

I haven't even
made it to Meryl yet
and I've been playing for a little over 2 hours!

I'm taking a break right now. I want to savor it. I'm gonna try online instead. :D

tiong_fi

Holy shit I'm exhausted. Just finished Act 3, 9 hours 30 minutes on the clock, almost non-stop. Don't remember when was the last time I played a game for this long on day one.

Souther

Banned
Just got home with the LE version today. Fuck...I still have DMC4, COD4 and now MGS4 brandnew sitting here. I'm just finishing up P3Fes(journey) and then i will either dig into one of the PS3 games or finish up "The Answer".

I really don't like to switch back and forth between games if i can help it. Also i am assuming that watching the "Making of MGS4" is probably better to do after finishing the game?

I guess i can always hold off playing MGS4 until later...that way while all of you guys are remembering your MGS4 experience i will finally be getting around to experience mine for the 1st time.

TeTr1C

Souther said:
Also i am assuming that watching the "Making of MGS4" is probably better to do after finishing the game?

Definitely. It even says something about spoilers when you open the blu-ray case.

I'm really glad I bought the LE. I mostly wanted it for the soundtrack.

Calcaneus

Just got home with the game and the MGS Essentials pack, the Summer of Metal Gear has begun!

I've decided not to enter MGO until I beat the game, never know what can pop up.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
playing this game, then hopping into the ipod menu to put on the MG1 theme is a completely surreal experience.

i like the hideochan songs too, the jazz is nice :lol :lol god, this is so strange. i love you hideo, you crazy bastard!

Barrett2

I find my main problem is I want to play it like COD4!

The combat is so intense I forget that I am supposed to be stealth!! Anyone else??

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I'd really love to see impressions from someone who's had very little exposure to the MGS series before this game.

The Chef

What kind of demon could torment me like this?

How much work do you think you would actually accomplish if this was on your desk starting at you @_@

w2kgav.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom