• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
DJmizuhara said:
I picked these up on the way home from work...

DSC00447.jpg

DSC00448.jpg

DSC00449.jpg

Where?..... Where man!!?!?!??!?

But anywho, I got my copy earlier today and man did I look like this-------> :D

FANTASTIC!! 1hr30mins in tired need sleep...

Elhandro

DrXym said:
The 1up review might give you a case of buyers remorse.

I have always had a Love / Hate relationship with the MGS series. I love everything about the game but the story & presentation always keeps it one notch from perfect.

Plus, I think 1up is really the only reliable source for Gaming reviews other than the GAF aggregate. It keeps my expectations realistic bc the Fanboy goggles get in the way sometimes.

Jtrizzy

Holy shit I just played all the way to
Raging Raven
I took about an hour break total in the last 12. Best game ever. Took off work today, I'll probably sleep for a while then finish it tonight.

Narag

The gun customization on this is awesome.
Blew every DP on a scope for my M4 then attached a motherfuckin' shotgun to it al. :lol

burgerdog

Just finished a quick 3 hour and 30minute session and there's no words. It's like the perfect game of your dreams. I loved the install feature, more games should do that, those eight minutes were well spent staring at the screen :lol Also, I listened to the Ipod for about 15 minutes and just ran around playing with the octo-camo. SO GOOD, holy shit, the gameplay has always been fun in mgs games before, but woooooooow, it is so fucking awesome in mgs4 that it feels like it's my favorite stealth game(no shit!) and shooting game already. Oh man, I can't wait to play some more in a bit.

II VerTigo II said:
Where?..... Where man!!?!?!??!?

But anywho, I got my copy earlier today and man did I look like this-------> :D

FANTASTIC!! 1hr30mins in tired need sleep...

They're from Uniqlo, a Japanese clothing store. There's one in New York City, but I don't know if they're selling the MGS4 shirts.

mizuhara, how do the shirts fit? I typically wear men's small shirts in the US, but I'm guessing the Japanese shirts run smaller? I have friend in Saitama picking me up a Gundam shirt and a MGS4 shirt, and I've told him to get me mediums instead of smalls. Would I be alright with smalls?

Zeke

GAH 3 more hours until I get my copy....i called GS too they have my LE and art book they also said they still have the LE guide in stock! LE guide is mine tomorrow after I cash my check.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
distantmantra said:
They're from Uniqlo, a Japanese clothing store. There's one in New York City, but I don't know if they're selling the MGS4 shirts.

mizuhara, how do the shirts fit? I typically wear men's small shirts in the US, but I'm guessing the Japanese shirts run smaller? I have friend in Saitama picking me up a Gundam shirt and a MGS4 shirt, and I've told him to get me mediums instead of smalls. Would I be alright with smalls?

:*(

Well i'm out of luck! crap~

roxya

GAME emailed me yesterday to say it's been shipped and I'm pumped to hell. Been at work all day today just itching to get home and play it.

I get home and see a pile of post on the floor... hmm.. where.. it.. it didn't turn up? Are you shitting me? WHERE'S MY MGS4? Snake? SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?

maskrider

I consider this the first time I was ever in a MGS world (although I had bought the previous MGS games, but I hadn't ever played them much than the first chapter), I feel like I was in a movie, an interactive movie, and all the presentations that I'd seen was great, really great !

This is gonna be my first and really involving experience with MGS, ha ha !

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
HA! Slight Act 1 humor spoiler with the environment:
In Act 1, there's the statues that you can minic and blend in with. If you choose to blend in 3 times, Snake will accidentally break off the statue's penis.

ZROCOOL

aka II VerTigo II
Kintaro said:
HA! Slight Act 1 humor spoiler with the environment:
In Act 1, there's the statues that you can minic and blend in with. If you choose to blend in 3 times, Snake will accidentally break off the statue's penis.

:lol

Oh! Man did I start busting out.

BlacKMaRK

Banned
just picked up my copy from cicuit city. i even got a free strategy guide.

fuck gamestop and there pre-orders, there were plenty in stock at circuit city, see yall later!!!!!!

Xater

Jtrizzy said:
It's really hard to stop playing this game.

Got it ysterday and only stopped a few times so yeah. I also wanted to get through the SP one time fast so I no longer have to worry about some people throwing spoilers around.

burgerdog

I see people keep asking about why this thread isn't stickied, same reason the GTA IV thread and [insert any other huge title here] were not stickied, either. Official threads are no longer stickied, something along the lines of they'll stay on the first page by their own merit... or something! So yeah, don't expect it to get stickied.

GodofWine

Got mine at lunch at GS , 3 others sold in the 5 minutes I was there...Best Buy appeared to either not have it, or was sold out????

To kill the rest of the work day I'll be reading the instructions in the bathroom :lol

h3ro

DenogginizerOS said:
Can someone confirm that the manual for the LE is in black and white as well? Thanks.

NA LE here... yep, black and white. That doesn't bother me as much as the fact that there is no inner coverslip art! I know its minor, but the JPN and PAL covers have art inside, why not the NA release? Stupid Konami NA...

Jtrizzy

What time did you get it? ie how many hours ago? I essentially played it for 12 hours straight. The most I've ever played was about 4-5 in GTAIV.

Gen-X

Banned
By god this game is sexy, I'm on the third act and playing on Big Boss mode mmmm that's how a real gamer should play :lol

Somnia

BlacKMaRK said:
just picked up my copy from cicuit city. i even got a free strategy guide.

fuck gamestop and there pre-orders, there were plenty in stock at circuit city, see yall later!!!!!!

Ya well I pre-ordered and got the LE edition of the game and the LE strat guide for 25 since I got a $5 off coupon at gamestop...so no I won't fuck gamestop :D

fabs115

Just picked mine up at the GS in Rockefeller Center. Saw a few other guys pick some up too. They had copies for non preorders as well, with a huge box full of LE. As I was on my way to work this morning arounnd 8am I saw 5 people waiting outside to pick up the system. They had a sign on the door saying they had 7 MGS 4 PS3's in stock. Not sure if that meant total, or for non preorders.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
this game is tense. i'm dying a lot and actually scared a little. i'm crawling on my belly most of the time :lol

GAF quickly--I'm going out to lunch in a few minutes and I'm wondering whether I should get the game or not. I haven't played through any of the MGS games, so will I be lost/confused when playing MGS4? Is there a story recap at the beginning that will bring me up to speed?

Xater

Jtrizzy said:
What time did you get it? ie how many hours ago? I essentially played it for 12 hours straight. The most I've ever played was about 4-5 in GTAIV.

I guess you mean me. I started playing yesterday at 4:30pm.

kitch9

Banned
This is the first game this gen to totally blow me away..... As in speechless blown away....

The presentation is flawless, I couldn't give a shit that I'm watching instead of playing as its so well done.

The game then seemlessly switches to you playing and its just fucking awesome as its the same as the cutscenes.

This is what I expected next gen to be from the start, plain and simple. I hope the story doesn't nosedive.

Xater

whatdidyousay said:
I haven't played through any of the MGS games,

WTH why? Big mistake...

so will I be lost/confused when playing MGS4? Hell yes.

Is there a story recap at the beginning that will bring me up to speed? Nope.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Ronin said:
Reading this thread and getting IMs from friends. I just say fuck it and storm down to Best Buy. Find one MGS4 bundle left on the shelf. I claim that bitch and jet home. So now I have a PS3 ready to be sent off, and I'm getting the last system update for the new one. And I now have two copies of the game.

Only for Kojima's masterpiece will I ever do something like this.

:lol :D

Reading this stupid ass thread and the fact I know I want to buy a PS3 eventually is making me want to hit Best Buy and get a MGS bundle now! I am sure that a better bundle will be coming later, but I want a PS3 NOW!!!!

Even though MGS probably will be the only game I play on it until Madden comes out.

burgerdog

whatdidyousay said:
GAF quickly--I'm going out to lunch in a few minutes and I'm wondering whether I should get the game or not. I haven't played through any of the MGS games, so will I be lost/confused when playing MGS4? Is there a story recap at the beginning that will bring me up to speed?

Wiki it up or watch what the other user that quoted you linked. It's so amazing that I would recommend to just read/watch through the previous installments(but you need to play them after mgs4) and get mgs4 now.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
btkadams said:
first to complete has to tell us non-mgs fans if you need to play the first 3 to understand. this game sounds awesome but i havent played the first 3 and i also kinda suck at stealth games. maybe i should just read one of those articles posted a while back that said "Everything you need to know about MGS1,2,3"

If you haven't played the others, you're honestly going to be missing half the point of the game. There are tons of references and callbacks that are simply going to mean nothing to you. It's still a fun game, but you may not see why everyone is loving it so much unless you know all the stuff it's wrapping up.

Final time: 18:08:18 (Solid Normal)

Act one complete!!! Just over three hours...Man this game is intense! I'm not going to spoil it for people but it sure is not like the other MGS games...

burgerdog said:
Wiki it up or watch what the other user that quoted you linked. It's so amazing that I would recommend to just read/watch through the previous installments(but you need to play them after mgs4) and get mgs4 now.

I tried playing through Snake Eater when it came out but got frustrated with the length of the cutscenes, so I stopped a couple of hours in.

I actually own that MGS Saga box that came out a couple of months ago. I planned to play through all of them before MGS4 but I got sidetracked.

Hmmm...maybe I will pick it up today or tomorrow...

Xater

MattKeil said:
If you haven't played the others, you're honestly going to be missing half the point of the game. There are tons of references and callbacks that are simply going to mean nothing to you. It's still a fun game, but you may not see why everyone is loving it so much unless you know all the stuff it's wrapping up.

Final time: 18:08:18 (Solid Normal)

The game is a BIG fanservice. It wraps up the complete storyline that has been going on for 21 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom