• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
dk_ said:
How can you threaten someone with a gun when you sneak behind him?

When I walk slowly towards him with L1 held, he just turns around and fires at me.
You can't just walk up to them while prepping a shot. You need to pull the gun up when you're behind them.

Cronen said:
MGS4 is the first game in a long while which I've bought a lot of stuff related to it. I have the game (of course), the strategy guide, the US strategy guide in the post and I've just ordered 2 of the Uniqlo t-shirts. I also want a Snake figure...
Me, too. I bought all of this:

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Guns of The Patriots: Limited Edition
MGS4 Playstation 3 Bundle: LE
MGS4 Soundtrack
MGS4 LE Guide

I have two copies of the LE. :lol

I really want to get some shirts, too.

AmMortal

Banned
10000+ Posts too late :D

Holy Crap at OP!

Most awesome Official thread ever.

Now,

How the hell do I defeat Screaming Mantis?

Holy FKING Shyt at Act 3 chase scene

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One of the most impressive things here has to be the fact that this thread is almost 100% positive. Virtually every single person that has played the game is raving about it in ways that I haven't seen for years. Every other major blockbuster game ended up disappointing some players. The only game I can recall receiving this much positive attention was the demo for Bioshock (though, unfortunately, opinions took a bit of a dive with the full game due to the last third of the game).

I agree with everyone, of course. Truly mindblowing game.

The only negative comments I've seen stem from people who haven't played it.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is one of the very few games that has not only met my expectations, but has EXCEEDED them - as well.

I haven't even beaten the damn game, either. :lol

dark10x said:
Bioshock (though, unfortunately, opinions took a bit of a dive with the full game due to the last third of the game).
In my opinion, Bioshock is mostly garbage. Its predecessor, System Shock 2, was fucking fantastic though.

dk_

U K Narayan said:
You have to be doing something wrong, man. Are you pressing L1 when you're behind them? Like -- really close behind them?
Strange. Tested it on two guys and nothing happened. The third one put his hands up.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
dark10x said:
One of the most impressive things here has to be the fact that this thread is almost 100% positive. Virtually every single person that has played the game is raving about it in ways that I haven't seen for years. Every other major blockbuster game ended up disappointing some players. The only game I can recall receiving this much positive attention was the demo for Bioshock (though, unfortunately, opinions took a bit of a dive with the full game due to the last third of the game).

I agree with everyone, of course. Truly mindblowing game.

Well, I wouldn't go that far...I'd at least wait a few weeks to let the game settle in, like GTA IV.

Though I doubt things will change much. :D

JCtheMC

Need some GAF advise here; i've never played any of the MGS games, although the action seems like something i'd very much enjoy. The last couple of weeks i've been trying to get into the story by watching the MGS retrospective @ gametrailers, reading wikipedia and this thread... and seriously, it still doesn't make any sense.
Now, my question is: will this game be as enjoyable for me as a first timer, or do i really do need to go back and play all the early games (something i somewhat dread) to actually have fun with MGS4 and be able to get into its story?

JCtheMC said:
Need some GAF advise here; i've never played any of the MGS games, although the action seems like something i'd very much enjoy. The last couple of weeks i've been trying to get into the story by watching the MGS retrospective @ gametrailers, reading wikipedia and this thread... and seriously, it still doesn't make any sense.
Now, my question is: will this game be as enjoyable for me as a first timer, or do i really do need to go back and play all the early games (something i somewhat dread) to actually have fun with MGS4 and be able to get into its story?
You need to play the previous games to enjoy the story. There's a ton of shit you're going to miss if you go into this as a virgin.

Will you enjoy playing the game? Most likely.

AmMortal

Banned
JCtheMC said:

Retrospective is good. So I'd say Yes.

anddo0

I put in 4 hours playing act 1 yesterday, however noticed I forgot to watch the mission briefing :| So I'm going to do it all over again today.. It'll be worth it though, this game is that awesome.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
JCtheMC said:
Now, my question is: will this game be as enjoyable for me as a first timer, or do i really do need to go back and play all the early games (something i somewhat dread) to actually have fun with MGS4 and be able to get into it's story?

I am in EXACTLY the same boat as you (though I did play MGS2, though I didn't remember a thing story wise from it) and went through all the GT movies.

The cutscenes are still very interesting and while I don't "get" the revelations and impact of some scenes, they are still entertaining enough to enjoy.

I'm only in Act 1 though and I hear it gets more cutscene intensive later, but as far as gameplay goes it's phenomenal. This is a game that I can easily see myself replaying as soon as I beat it, which hasn't happened to me since the original Halo.

Great stuff so far.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
chubigans said:
Well, I wouldn't go that far...I'd at least wait a few weeks to let the game settle in, like GTA IV.

Though I doubt things will change much. :D
The reason I doubt we'll see much change in opinion is simply because the most positive impressions are coming from people that have already finished the game.

Rainy Dog

dk_ said:
Just tested it. Doesn't work for me. :-(

Keep trying mate, it does work. Does seem hit and miss though which makes it pretty risky in most situations. After the few times I've managed to pull it off, couldn't frisk them though...or pull off the crotch grab :lol Rotated around them and pressed triangle at various distances but couldn't get it to work. Luckily you can hold them up for as long as you want whilst trying, though ;)

Lince

Banned
dark10x said:

mostly from us Spaniards who CAN'T FUCKING BUY THE FRIGGING GAME DAMN THE PATRIOTS AND THEIR ROAD TRANSPORT STRIKE !! since yesterday there's a ton of people assaulting Gibraltar and the Southern provinces of France just to be able to get a copy! how's the situation in Portugal btw?

AmMortal

Banned
anddo0 said:
I put in 4 hours playing act 1 yesterday, however noticed I forgot to watch the mission briefing :| So I'm going to do it all over again today.. It'll be worth it though, this game is that awesome.

You can watch all mission briefings from the menu screen :)

Something I'm sure has been mentioned but I found pretty cool...

My camo was set to a concrete texture when a cutscene was triggered. About 10 minutes into the cutscene, I decide to shake the controller to see if that would revert my camo back to the basic black. Sure enough, it did. Nice little touch.

Duderz

Banned
Just finished Act 4. I was planning on stopping at Act 3 and calling it a night, but noooo, Kojima had to slap me around and say "No time to sleep!"

Needless to say, everything about this game is perfect. I haven't finished it, but this truly is the perfect sendoff to a masterful franchise. Bravo Kojima.

Up to Act 5 spoilers -
OMG at Patriot revelation! Major Zero noo! But wait, awesome as hell bike chase! Then OH MY DEAR GOD Liguid Ocelot is the greatest villian evar. BANG BANG BANG. Then wooo, Naomi, you bitch! You and your tantalizing boobies turn out to be traitorous yet again! Then, whaaa, SHADOW MOSES, UGH NOW I WISH I HADN'T SEEN THAT TRAILER, Best is Yet to Come in the background genius, :bow :bow, Vamp is dead, so very satisfying, Naomi dead too, uh, crap! Wait, I CONTROL REX? unf unf unf awesome boss fight with Ray, so long Raiden! Too bad you sucked in MGS2 and everyone complained, if you had been awesome you might still be alive!

I love this game. Even when I load the next Act, that game tells me to take a break since it's past 1:00AM.

dark10x said:
The reason I doubt we'll see much change in opinion is simply because the most positive impressions are coming from people that have already finished the game.

THE game still suffers from the same problem as 2 as far as I'm concerned.

Too many cut-scenes and the story gets even MORE convoluted. Not to mention something like 5? or so installations. Plus ENDLESS loading screens.

But I did enjoy the game overall. Pretty much what I expected.

atomico

is there any moment or item that actually requires the dual shock rumble? (like the AP Sensor from MGS2).

I'd love to buy one now, to get the most out of my first playthrough of the game, but my wallet says I should wait till next month :)

btw, if the answer involves spoilers, I'd rather have a simple yes or no :D

AmMortal

Banned
CriscoDisco said:
Something I'm sure has been mentioned but I fund pretty cool...

My camo was set to a concrete texture when a cutscene was triggered. About 10 minutes into the cutscene, I decide to shake the controller to see if that would revert my camo back to the basic black. Sure enough, it did. Nice little touch.

Yeah, very nice. :)

I just found out, MGS4 sold 300,000 First day in Japan only. O_O

Moray

JCtheMC said:

I'm in the same boat. Watched all the GameTrailers retrospective videos and read a little bit about the story on Wikipedia. I will be buying MGS4 shortly just because the gameplay looks so bad ass and will not be buying the old games. From what I've seen, the story is so convoluted that I probably wouldn't like it anyways--I don't really care about who betrays who or who likes who, but the higher level story of Metal Gears and the Patriots and nuclear war and such is intriguing and I have that down pretty well. I've also heard/read that the controls in the old games are bad and that would make me frustrated real fast.

AmMortal

Banned
Seriously, this game is beyond games. I swear, I have never ever, EVER experienced, what I am experiencing now.

I swear, I'm so grateful to have played the game.

f@luS said:
wow if true , 1M 1st day worldwide will be possible. I hope if one game deserve it , its this one
I really hope the game sells a fuckload. It deserves it. Kojima Productions deserves it. Sony deserves it.

If this doesn't happen, I will fucking cry.

Also, did anyone choke up when they saw the title screen? I saw Snake
pull out that gun
, and I was just like: "Ah --- fuck." :'(

AmMortal

Banned
This is the only game that should sell well, My God, the Epic Gameplay/story/cut-scenes, are simply mind blowing.

IGN 10/10 = duh... I wasn't expecting anything else now.

CriscoDisco said:
Something I'm sure has been mentioned but I found pretty cool...

My god that's crazy :D

Vaandaviii said:
My god that's crazy :D
Yeah. I tried this the first moment I got the chance. I was stunned. This game is fucking amazing.

Also, I love it when the cutscenes merge into gameplay seamlessly. That's so fucking sexy.

This game is fucking amazing.

AmMortal

Banned
U K Narayan said:
Yeah. I tried this the first moment I got the chance. I was stunned. This game is fucking amazing.

Also, I love it when the cutscenes merge into gameplay seamlessly. That's so fucking sexy.

This game is fucking amazing.

= Truth!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
When I played Gears of War, I thought I had seen this next gen. I could not have been more wrong. Without a doubt, MGS4 is truly a masterpiece. I simply cannot put into words how grateful I am for what Kojima and his team have done. The story, the sound, the production values and the graphics are all superlative and on par with the effort put in by fine movie makers. If you are on the fence about a PS3 but have the money to buy one, there is no need to wait anymore.

Duderz

Banned
Has anyone (that has finished the game) watched the making of in the limited edition? If so, how is it?

DenogginizerOS said:
When I played Gears of War, I thought I had seen this next gen. I could not have been more wrong. Without a doubt, MGS4 is truly a masterpiece. I simply cannot put into words how grateful I am for what Kojima and his team have done. The story, the sound, the production values and the graphics are all superlative and on par with the effort put in by fine movie makers. If you are on the fence about a PS3 but have the money to buy one, there is no need to wait anymore.

Well put. In an industry where it seems these sort of games may be going by the wayside, it is so refreshing to be playing a game where the amount of care and love put in is so plain to see.

Wollan

Rainy Dog said:
Did you rike, Wollan?
I haven't fully consumed it really, not nearly.
Kinda funny, the last absolutely thrilling game I played (which was GTA4 for me, disregarding mmo AOC), they are absolutely the opposite of each other. From the outset MGS4 is a straight through adventure game and GTA4 is huge platform of possibility. After you finish GTA4 it strangely enough becomes and feels very empty. After finishing MGS4 I feel like I haven't seen a quarter of what this game has to offer and I'm talking about the sp part. There are so many moments and events in MGS4 that is without comparison.

Man, I also have to comment on the iPod in this. Holy shit, the implementation of this thing is a MASTERSTROKE. Holy shit. I can listen to MGS3's "Sea Breeze" while the PMCs and rebels duke it out?

I'm sorry, but that is FUCKING AWESOME.

Love this game. Can't wait to get off of work to play more.

Busty

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
When I played Gears of War, I thought I had seen this next gen. I could not have been more wrong.

A friend of mine was saying the same thing just the other day.

I really hope that the momentum that MGS4 has generated continues for the next few months instead of just fading away in the next few weeks.

The PS3, and frankly HD gaming as a whole, could really do with having a game that waves the banner of 'ambitious scope and vision' coupled with 'high production values'.

Duderz said:
Well put. In an industry where it seems these sort of games may be going by the wayside, it is so refreshing to be playing a game where the amount of care and love put in is so plain to see.

I've never played a game that shows it so well. Previously I thought Brawl was a good example of developers putting all they could into a game. MGS4 truly puts everything else to shame in that respect; it's astounding how perfectly realized it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom