• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angst

My only complaint so far is that Snake can't press up against wall the same way he used to be able to. Now he's only able to hug the wall... :lol

Darkpen

Banned
thinking back, I have to say, I really loved that they used bits and pieces of both the original and twin snakes for the shadow moses area (including the audio recording for the helicopter scene, which is distinctly from TS).

Angst said:
My only complaint so far is that Snake can't press up against wall the same way he used to be able to. Now he's only able to hug the wall... :lol

It's probably more realistic now. Before it was cooler I guess, but in the real world, that's how they do it, I guess.

No_Style

jjasper said:
Yeah I agree with this. It didn't really bother me till I was in the fight with
the frogs
but in that fight it really stood out as it was almost impossible to pop in and out of cover to shoot.

I kinda missed the old quick pop-in and out as well, but the leaning (while slow), still works.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Is there a Euro GAF clan already? Back in the BETA I was in the GAF clan formed by GoncaloCastro and I cant wait to play MGO after I finish the SP again.

Rainy Dog

Darkpen said:
thinking back, I have to say, I really loved that they used bits and pieces of both the original and twin snakes for the shadow moses area (including the audio recording for the helicopter scene, which is distinctly from TS)

Can't believe you didn't spoiler that :(

CriscoDisco said:
Something I'm sure has been mentioned but I found pretty cool...

My camo was set to a concrete texture when a cutscene was triggered. About 10 minutes into the cutscene, I decide to shake the controller to see if that would revert my camo back to the basic black. Sure enough, it did. Nice little touch.
So awesome!, i just did it as well. thats just neat.

I'm in the middle of a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong cutscene right now. I think at the end of act 2.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Darkpen said:
What's up with Snake suddenly knowing CQC? Did that get explained? Or did he know CQC all along, but the gameplay just didn't allow for it?

I guess I'll put spoiler tags on this for people who would rather listen to the codec firsthand

Appearently he knew CQC all along but didn't want to use it due to how he felt about Big Boss. Using a traiters fighting technique didn't feel right to him, it falls in line with him not using knives/swords in MGS2

Gremmie4

frey said:
Bump because I'm desperate.

This might be a dumb suggestion, but do you have enough space available to install the game? I had 5 GB available when I bought the game, so I deleted some demos before installing just to make sure it would go through OK.

Darkpen

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
I guess I'll put spoiler tags on this for people who would rather listen to the codec firsthand

Appearently he knew CQC all along but didn't want to use it due to how he felt about Big Boss. Using a traiters fighting technique didn't feel right to him, it falls in line with him not using knives/swords in MGS2
will someone PLEASE tell me which codec this is. Like, which PART of Act 1?

Angst said:

I noticed that too. How can you do the tap tap tap on a wall now? I haven't been able to bait and lure guards out like I did in the other three games.

But...I must add...I haven't played anything this polished since...Bioshock?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Superblatt said:
I noticed that too. How can you do the tap tap tap on a wall now? I haven't been able to bait and lure guards out like I did in the other three games.

Lean up against a wall and hit r1.

BlueTsunami

Darkpen said:
will someone PLEASE tell me which codec this is. Like, which PART of Act 1?

You have to physically call Otacon yourself. I personally did it after
seeing the female robots bosses for the first time
. I called Otacon a couple of times and that converstation came up. Otacon actually asks Snake why he didn't use CQC before.

Remember, theres lots of Codec messages to be heard that the game doesn't throw in your path. After big events, its good to call people and you may get different conversations.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Superblatt said:

You can still tap the walls, i did it by accident before........... then i M4'd some PMC's in the face.

djkimothy

The Laughing Octopus boss battle was the greatest boss battle I had in a long time. Took multiple tries as I'm playing it on HARD mode and each hit she deals takes out half my life. :(

Still, so fun.

rubso

Banned
Absinthe said:
16 hours? Are some of you rushing through the game or something? I thought I remembered reading that the game was closer to 30 hours than 20.
I beat it in 15 hours, too bad that the total playtime is cutscenes + actual gameplay.
that's my result

Final Results NAKED NORMAL
Total Play Time 15:12:08
Continues 10
Alert Phases 60
Kills 203
Recovery Items Used 38
Weapon Types Procured 34
Flashbacks Watched 72
Special Items Used Not used

Total Bonus 24,040DP
Current Drebin Points 110,409DP

Confer the title of... "INCHWORM" = crawlin' most of the time lol

+ SCORPION in the List of Titles.

Just go through the first act......

This game is so amazing..I really have a hard time expressing just how much I love it..it is truly a masterpiece and have really been watching the impressions so much but..

HOLY SHIT AT THE GRAPHICS!! By far the best I have seen

Woo-Fu

Banned
More MGS games coming? :D

During one of the intermissions they show a list of all the MGS games with MGS4 being the last game with a full icon, but after MGS4 there are two more icons with "Under Construction" on them. Oversight, joke, or a clue to the future?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
omg
meryl and johnny in the haven
is a scene from a military romantic comedy

obviously kojima is trying to sell somebody a script

that was so awesome

Zeke

I haven't got very far yet but the small amount of time I've put in so far is awesome. Having otacon get mad at you for abusing the MKII is great....you can also shock yourself with it :lol

Truant

Ok ok ok, guyys....

Megaton.

Yours truly, 360 fanboy extraordinaire, just bought a motherfucking MGS4/PS3 bundle.

I have no HDMI cable, so I guess I'm fucked.

Zeke

Truant said:
Ok ok ok, guyys....

Megaton.

Yours truly, 360 fanboy extraordinaire, just bought a motherfucking MGS4/PS3 bundle.

monoprice has cheap HDMI cables, welcome to the dark side

Firewire

Banned
BruceLeeRoy said:
Just go through the first act......

This game is so amazing..I really have a hard time expressing just how much I love it..it is truly a masterpiece and have really been watching the impressions so much but..

HOLY SHIT AT THE GRAPHICS!! By far the best I have seen

I totally agree, I got by the first act last night and I just felt amazed. That introduction, was one for the ages as well, it really blew me away!

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm not too far into the game, but I love how loose the sticks are on the DualShock 3. It makes pushing the stick halfway to sneak around that much easier. :D

BlueTsunami

GauntletFan said:
I thought this game had a photo mode? where are all the photos people have been taking?

You need to get the Camera
I believe its on the plane during the Mission Briefing between Act 1 and Act 2

itxaka

Defeatist
damn, I want to play :_(

Damn transport strike, I want my MGS4!!

Lucky me, I received a copy of Civ Revolution, at least I can spare my alone weekend playing this.

Pics plz.

just woke up & haven't started playing again yet due to all the phone calls i'm getting
today is my birthday

last night was soooo hard going to sleep, all i wanted to do was keep playing but I was getting wicked tired playing, and Kojima DID advise me to take a 15 min break every hour of playing, which i didn't do. Sorry Mr. Kojima.

andycapps

Truant said:
Ok ok ok, guyys....

Megaton.

Go pick up a cheap one at Walmart or somewhere else to get your game on fast. If you want to wait a few days, Monoprice.com for $6-7 can't be beat.

So, I've played MGS 1 and 2 to the end and pretty much understand the outlines of what was going on. Only played half of MGS3 or so for reasons I won't go into. Will I have any problem following the story in this game (aka is full knowledge of MGS3 critical to following MGS4?)

Doc Evils

GitarooMan said:
So, I've played MGS 1 and 2 to the end and pretty much understand the outlines of what was going on. Only played half of MGS3 or so for reasons I won't go into. Will I have any problem following the story in this game (aka is full knowledge of MGS3 critical to following MGS4?)

MGS3 plays a big part.

jjasper

Bishman said:
Where can I get some good affordable HDMI or component cables for the PS3? I thought the bundle would come with HDMI cables.

Monoprice or amazon.

GitarooMan said:

I haven't played much but I know you won't get the significance of a few things in the first 10 mins.

Truant

andycapps said:
Go pick up a cheap one at Walmart or somewhere else to get your game on fast. If you want to wait a few days, Monoprice.com for $6-7 can't be beat.

Dude, I live in Norway. The bundle alone cost me $800. Yes, it's that expensive over here. I'll check some local stores.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Firewire said:
I totally agree, I got by the first act last night and I just felt amazed. That introduction, was one for the ages as well, it really blew me away!

yes, it took me like 6 hours to get passed act 1 but i was loving every minute of it, the graphics....especially on meryl, rosemary, and the other chick.....are phenomenal, i mean is it even cgi or in game graphics?

either way, blown away by everything....absolutely love the oil drum, hiding in there...then popping out and stabbing fools is priceless.

love the first person shooting, with no auto aim....feels great and it's mad exciting.

i'm kind of glad it was delayed because i recently got a new tv, and a new surround sound....and the dualshock 3 so it was perfect. havent even taken it online yet, campaign is too good.....and the story and voice acting is superb.

if any game deserves a 10...

Bodom78

wow, just went through the hassle of setting up online which is terrible only to find out you have to pay to add additional characters, WTF, like seriously...

Charge me for the online service for fucks sake, not to have additional characters.

Bought the PS3 just for MGS4, and as far as the Single Player game goes, it has not disappointed.

MickeyPhree

I suck at CQC. Seems I throw the baddies to the ground everytime I attempt it.

Last night after work I got to sit down and play after having the game stare at me all afternoon. My wife was interested in seeing what all the hype was about so she decided to watch me play. The first time Otacon appears in the game...she looks at me and goes "I know who that is!!! It's Octagon!!! Aren't you impressed!"

I actually was.

MoxManiac

sext0n said:
I suck at CQC. Seems I throw the baddies to the ground everytime I attempt it.

Last night after work I got to sit down and play after having the game stare at me all afternoon. My wife was interested in seeing what all the hype was about so she decided to watch me play. The first time Otacon appears in the game...she looks at me and goes "I know who that is!!! It's Octagon!!! Aren't you impressed!"

I actually was.

:lol Octagon

rcua1884

GitarooMan said:

I just finished Act 3 and I can tell you that
the entire act derives its dialogue and plot advancement on the events of MGS3. I played through MGS3 just before getting this game and I just kept going, "I've heard that line before!" during some of the scenes in Act 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom