• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewire

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Am I the only one who got the
Cooking show with bugs, snakes and a lizard with dynamite strapped on
? Truly a W-T-F moment.

I got that, the whole time I was like wtf! The
Komodo dragon with the rocket launchers around its waist is just awesome!

ghibli99

The Chef said:
The start screen...

Could this be any more beautiful? The acoustic guitar, the slow pan around snake, the wind blowing flowers around the grave stones. I have watched this "intro" 4-5 times now - it gives me such chills and strikes me on such an emotional level for a START game screen.

I already know this is going to be one of the greatest gaming experiences of my life.
Definitely agree on the start screen. Blew me away!

h3ro

One more thing before I'm off to play Act III... If you have the ability to, please play this game with a proper surround sound setup. The soundtrack, voice work and sound effects are jaw dropping.

It also helps with the first boss fight.
When my Solid Eye was recharging, I heard the buzzing sound from LO's octocamo and it localized to the speaker location. Blind rocket fire FTW

ukas

Firewire said:
I got that, the whole time I was like wtf! The
Komodo dragon with the rocket launchers around its waist is just awesome!

Is there an inside joke with those TV spots or are they there just for the WTF sake? Because they definitely made me do some WTF's.

Firewire

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
Quick question about the game in general...

can you choose which army to befriend? Or is it just the rebels?

I think you can choose to help either side if you want, or ignore both and sneak by the battles. I think there was some type of message stating this somewhere in act 1.

Cronen

Y2Kev said:
I just completed it.

The final boss battle is unbelievable. The graphics are unmatched. The music is amazing. The scene is just tops.

This is the greatest game I've ever played.

Now to watch the credits.

I have just one question:
How do Snake and Otacon get Sunny back to begin with?

You mean how did they get Sunny in the first place? Raiden rescued her from the Patriots, and I'm guessing that he gave her over to Otacon before disappearing again.

ezekial45

Banned
I'll be picking up my bundle today. I can't believe whats is gonna be in store for me. I got a few questions though:

*please use spoiler text in your responses*

1. Are the number of weapons in this game exaggerated? Or are there really a ridiculous amount of weapons that have a lot of diversity between them.
2. How big is the Shadow Moses section?
3. Like the previous games, are there certain sections where things get weird? Sorta like the Psycho Mantis, Arsenal Gear, and The Sorrow sequences from the previous installments. Simple yes or no is fine.
4. How did you like the ending theme? How is it compared to the rest?

Do you see the mission briefings automatically or do you have to go into he menu to see them. I remember " Mission Briefing" as a menu choice somewhere.

Oni Jazar

CriscoDisco said:
Do you see the mission briefings automatically or do you have to go into he menu to see them. I remember " Mission Briefing" as a menu choice somewhere.

I had to use the Main Menu to see the first one for some reason but the second one played automatically.

Teknoman

Oni Jazar said:

Just the rebels since the PMC have those nanomachines...it was explained in game...but I forgot the explanation :lol

Oh yeah and are the animal names we are using for the various GAF MGO squads just going to be the usual end game ranks you can get in a Metal Gear game? Or just any animal? Surprised the online topic isnt up yet.

Anyway just remember you only need the person's character name for friends list adding.

ezekial45 said:
I'll be picking up my bundle today. I can't believe whats is gonna be in store for me. I got a few questions though:

1. Are the number of weapons in this game exaggerated? Or are there really a ridiculous amount of weapons that have a lot of diversity between them.
3. Like the previous games, are there certain sections where things get weird? Sorta like the Psycho Mantis, Arsenal Gear, and The Sorrow sequences from the previous installments. Simple yes or no is fine.

I can only answer number 1, not really spoiler tag material though:

No its not exaggerated. I'm only in Act 1 and I think i've got more weapons with attachment options than i've ever had in MGS3. I think the reason why is that this is an actual battlefield, and not some secret base.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Graphics nitpick:

Why does fire look so godawful in this game? Toss a molotov cocktail and gawk at the results. Explosions and flame looked so stylized and impressive in MGS3. Wha Happen??

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Oni Jazar said:

you can only befriend the rebels, dont want to mess the story up for you but the PMC's (mercenaries) are always hostile, well at least that's what the manual told me...i suggest you read it first i know i should have.

Cronen

ezekial45 said:

Well, I know that there are atleast over 60!
Pretty big, I would say. You go from the start of MGS1, up to where it ends. Obviously you don't take the route that you did in MGS1.
Yes. But not as many.
It was really moving! :)

ukas said:
Is there an inside joke with those TV spots or are they there just for the WTF sake? Because they definitely made me do some WTF's.
Some of them are ads for the 5 major PMC companies, and the tv shows are just giving you context of how much the PMCs have become apart of every day life. At least that is what I took it to be.

Darkpen

Banned
Y2Kev said:
omg
meryl and johnny in the haven
is a scene from a military romantic comedy

obviously kojima is trying to sell somebody a script

that was so awesome
rofl, that scene reminded me so much of hollywood.

Okay, guys, question:

How did
Big Boss talk with Naomi, if he was unconscious until the AIs were shut down? Does he say?
Costanza brought it up, and honestly, I don't know.

bigswords

GodofWine said:
Advice taken. Dumb question to ask after having played almost an hour of it, but is there any aim assist? I might have been over riding it manually if so? but if I place the reticle on their head and fire, and they move a little, will my aim adjust, or do I have to do it. I've been doing it, but obviously would be better off letting it do it, if it does it.

No I don't there any aim assist, but there's auto aim and it just aims for the centre of the body. Takes a long time to kill a person that way.

Zophar

I suppose its early enough in the game to talk about, but the fight with Laughing Octopus just kicks so much ass. Completely original. I'm hoping future boss fights are just as amazing.

Speaking of which, to those that have beaten it: how many bosses are there? Don't need a number just a rough estimate. MGS2 had barely any, MGS3 had probably the perfect amount, same with MGS1. Is it closer to 2 or 3 in amount?

SleazyC

Zophar said:
I suppose its early enough in the game to talk about, but the fight with Laughing Octopus just kicks so much ass. Completely original. I'm hoping future boss fights are just as amazing.

Speaking of which, to those that have beaten it: how many bosses are there? Don't need a number just a rough estimate. MGS2 had barely any, MGS3 had probably the perfect amount, same with MGS1. Is it closer to 2 or 3 in amount?
About 7 I think?

Finally got some sleep, and I'm still blown away. It's probably going to take me a couple days to fully digest the experience of this game.

I do think it's safe to say though, that Solid Snake is elevated to the status of baddest motherfucker in the series now that it's wrapped up. After getting to play as BB in Snake Eater and PO I was wondering how Kojima could get Snake out of his shadow, but man did he ever do it. The thing that makes him even more of a badass is that he's surrounded by bad motherfuckers throughout the game, and still manages to out badass them.

Also, the line from the theatrical trailer "Sound like a perfect job for me" is so fucking perfectly placed and delivered when you hear it in context of the game, has none of the "cheesy" connotations that the trailer frames it as having.

I can't believe some people are beating this game in less than 20 hours. There's so many details and things to experiment with. I spent 6 and a half hours in the first act alone.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

WAHT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

djkimothy said:
Every gun is fine. Just pick your shots carefully. I find that i did most of the damage when
she's hiding or just before/after she shoots at you.
That's my strat on hard mode. Pretty straight forward match.

Noob. :p

Screw that
javelin
FTW!

Wollan

MickeyKnox said:
Also, the line from the theatrical trailer "Sound like a perfect job for me" is so fucking perfectly placed and delivered when you hear it in context of the game, has none of the "cheesy" connotations that the trailer frames it as having.
That section is absolutely OMG.

wowfactor

Banned
Do you know where my tranquil gun went? I can't find it in my inventory or the weapon selection screen. The same thing happened to me in MGS3.

Y2Kev said:
WHAT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

WAHT THE FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKFUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK
tell me where you are.

Chiggs

Gold Member
revolverjgw said:
I can't believe some people are beating this game in less than 20 hours. There's so many details and things to experiment with. I spent 6 and a half hours in the first act alone.

Same here. Just toying around with the soldiers, looking for items and easter eggs. Lots to do. I think those who rush through it are doing themselves a great disservice. Then again, the replay value is through the roof.

Costanza

Banned
Putting this on the new page:

Darkpen said:
rofl, that scene reminded me so much of hollywood.

Okay, guys, question:

How did
Big Boss talk with Naomi, if he was unconscious until the AIs were shut down? Does he say?
Costanza brought it up, and honestly, I don't know.
Someone clear this up.

MickeyKnox said:
YEEESSSSSSSSSSS!

don't highlight unless you've finished act 5.

VIBRRATTTION IS BAAAAAAAAAAAAACCCKKKKK!
The guide says he says some hilarious shit if you have a sixaxis connected. Somebody get that on youtube.

GodofWine

bigswords said:
No I don't there any aim assist, but there's auto aim and it just aims for the centre of the body. Takes a long time to kill a person that way.

I'll have to agree...Id pump a clip into a guy's chest and be like wtf.

(I think that it shouldn't take more than 5 rounds to kill a man, regardless of where)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom