• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
EviLore said:
-Minor framerate drops are frequent during cutscenes.
-Occasional very low resolution shadows can be distracting.
-Two main cutscenes are prerecorded in-engine, and don't have the bitrate necessary to prevent significant artifacting.
-Shorter than MGS3, and MGS3's sense of freedom is not present (much higher cutscene ratio, more like MGS2).
-Some of the voice work falls flat and is beneath the rest of the standards of the game.
-A couple instances of uncanny valley syndrome, mostly centered around sunny.
-Hair could feel too static at times and not up to the level of the rest of the character model.
-Not actually 29 hours long (*cry*)

So, let's say, 9.999/10 :D

You're clearly trolling the game!! D:

looking forward to your spoiler post :3

Mifune

Mehmber
Ummm so I finally got to play this last night for a couple hours. Got up to the
frogs
in Act 1.

First of all...WTF is up with that first channel surfing bit when you start the game. I don't know what it is but I love it. KojiPro one-ups Rockstar with in-game media!

Anyway, I can't remember the last time I felt a game controller melt into my hands like it has with MGS4. Everything just feels right. And I don't want to turn off the system. Ever. I think I stood in front of the TV with a plate of food trying to force the nutrients down so I could go back to playing.

The pacing so far is perfect. Unless the game takes a nosedive in quality (going by this thread I'm gonna say it doesn't), this is one for the ages.

Only complaint (I guess) is that so far it seems pretty easy, at least when compared to the gauntlet that was the first few hours of Snake Eater.

I'm going slow but that's how I like it. Every once in a while there's a game that I really want to savor. This is that game.

Hixx

dabookerman said:
On easy ;p Im after my optic camo.. But christ, act 5 is a right bitch, the first bit.

I got through there on Solid Normal without being spotted once - the only area in the game I managed to do so afaik :lol

Basically,
just stick to the right most wall and head up. There's a part pretty early on where it'll seem like you'll be stuck for ages and the original Frogs from the left will be getting very close, but eventually there'll be a chance for you to stick some anaesthesic darts in their head. Then it's pretty simple, just making sure your camo is 80+% and plugging darts in them as you go. And the Gekko's are really easy to get past so you should have no problems there

So close to completing Act 1 with no kills.
Got through the Frog assault pretty easily, thought it might've taken a few goes. Just bought the Mosin Nagant too then found out you can't modify it. No suppressor makes me a sad bunny :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stupid UPS screwed me out of MGS goodness yesterday, with emotions as mixed as they can get, I had to watch most of my friends list play it - but today, finally, THE SYSTEM IS MINNNE!

It's so weird finally holding something that you've been waiting for so many years. Today's day at work is going to be longest ever.

burgerdog

FUCK, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I just watched the end of Act II all the way to the beginning of Act III gameplay. Does it seriously get better than this? Damn, I am shaking, that was so fucking full of win.

Chiggs

Gold Member
I noticed they changed the opening narration slightly. I remember Snake used to say the "war has changed" stuff, then something about how "it's not about profit", but then just a few lines later he would state that war has become a "well-oiled business." :lol Breathtakingly stupid.

Anyway, the line was changed to "well-oiled machine." Thank God.

bigswords

burgerdog said:
FUCK, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK. I just watched the end of Act II all the way to the beginning of Act III gameplay. Does it seriously get better than this? Damn, I am shaking, that was so fucking full of win.

What you seen is just tip of the ice berg. I love acts 4 and 5!

ZOE ZOE !!!!!

Hixx

bigswords said:
How do you guys use the
inheritance option (where you keep your previous weapon /items and Drebin points to a new game)?

If you saved the last time the game prompted you to just load it (should be called Epilogue: End).

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
burgerdog said:
I spent eight hours in Act II, so much shit to do in there. Need an mgs3 remake with mgs4 engine NOW.
I like the way you think. Maybe as a bonus in the Sub******** version of MGS4? :D

Tiduz

Eurogaime
rubso said:
he is wearing a PMC suit, he'll try to blend with the PMC mercenaries at some point try to look harder as he wears a little bit different PMC suit.
If you've failed to find him, Kill yourself > Continue again, put on the Octacomo camo suit, and crawl behind him until you reach the resistance HQ, PMCs/Resistance guy won't detect your presence.

thanks, ill try that out tonight, i think i shot him with tranq gun because he wasnt moving :lol

HixxSAFC said:
I got through there on Solid Normal without being spotted once - the only area in the game I managed to do so afaik :lol

Basically,
just stick to the right most wall and head up. There's a part pretty early on where it'll seem like you'll be stuck for ages and the original Frogs from the left will be getting very close, but eventually there'll be a chance for you to stick some anaesthesic darts in their head. Then it's pretty simple, just making sure your camo is 80+% and plugging darts in them as you go. And the Gekko's are really easy to get past so you should have no problems there

So close to completing Act 1 with no kills.
Got through the Frog assault pretty easily, thought it might've taken a few goes. Just bought the Mosin Nagant too then found out you can't modify it. No suppressor makes me a sad bunny :(

Did it!

Hard parts over.. I hope

Teknoman

I dunno about the game not being 20+hrs or not having freedom. I mean the areas just feel pretty big, not to mention just thinking about how to approach a situation might take a few minutes in itself.

why isn't this thread sticky, other than the "its so popular it will always be looming at the top" theory?

Wasn't Smash Nuts Brawl stickied for like a month?

Klone.K

Ok, how the fuck do I beat Laughing Octopus? I've been trying for 2 hours now about 20 tries and I can only get her health halfway down when she starts utterly obliterating me.

I don't have an RPG and don't have a shotgun and don't have money for either. My best weapon is the M4. I've been trying to lay traps of C4 which seems to work the best but around halfway through she starts puncing on me from unknown spots on the cieling and rolling around too fast for me to find higher ground, completely wipeing me out.

Is there any tactic for this bossfight with shitty weapons to make this easier? Like a hideout or something?

I've thought of hiding under tables because she might not be able to hit me there and just coming out when she's hiding to c4 her ass. But I haven't tried yet and I don't think it'd work.

help would be appreciated.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
I'm surprised at the wildly varying clear times people are having. Less than 20 hours seems awfully short for a first playthrough to me! I had 28 hours, but I was a see-every-corner-of-every-area/CODEC whore.

I'm pleased GAF approves of MGS4. Gonna have to agree with EviLore's statement that it will probably remain best game of gen. I cannot wait to play it again in Japanese... some of the English VA was pretty rough, and いいセンスだな becoming "You're pretty good" will never sit right with me, ever.

Guts Of Thor

Thorax of Odin
Haha! I suck so much at this game but I'm still having fun with it. It's taking me forever to get through Act 1 but I'm enjoying it. Really like the control scheme

My favorite part is the codecs coming through my headset.

Firewire

Banned
TheJollyCorner said:
why isn't this thread sticky, other than the "its so popular it will always be looming at the top" theory?

Wasn't Smash Nuts Brawl stickied for like a month?

No sticky please!

I always forget about threads up in the sticky section.

I'm starting act 4 when I get off work. I have it saved right at the beginning of the area.

Apparently, I'm going to shit my pants thirty times over.

rubso

Banned
Klone.K said:
Ok, how the fuck do I beat Laughing Octopus? I've been trying for 2 hours now about 20 tries and I can only get her health halfway down when she starts utterly obliterating me.

I don't have an RPG and don't have a shotgun and don't have money for either. My best weapon is the M4. I've been trying to lay traps of C4 which seems to work the best but around halfway through she starts puncing on me from unknown spots on the cieling and rolling around too fast for me to find higher ground, completely wipeing me out.

Is there any tactic for this bossfight with shitty weapons to make this easier? Like a hideout or something?

I've thought of hiding under tables because she might not be able to hit me there and just coming out when she's hiding to c4 her ass. But I haven't tried yet and I don't think it'd work.

turn on the Solid Eye just to give you a hint about her place, since she is wearing an Octacomo suit, she can blend with the environment (walls, portrait paintings, etc.). use the M4 or the handgun you have, plus don't forget to use Rations, eventually you'll beat her

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Klone.K said:
The 1up video review spoiled it for me so when I got there I immediately knew what to do. =/
Use Night Vision

edit: beaten.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Oh, and some stats, going by memory:

Solid Normal difficulty, ~16:40 completion time.

-9 continues. No deaths during boss fights, 4 from gekkou instadeath trampling, 3 from normal enemies catching me off guard at close range in the first act (you can die very quickly under those circumstances), 2 from accidentally killing story-important characters with explosive rounds :D

-~60 alert phases. I enjoyed the shooting a lot so I would participate fully in some of the big battles, ignoring the alerts.

-A lot of kills. 500+? don't remember, a lot though. I think it was 280 at the end of the first or second act, heh.

-58 weapons acquired. Got every gun from the drebin menu except for the
ummm take-something-shima million credit musket

-No special items used

Cronen

Klone.K said:

Well...
I had trouble too. What I found useful is when she is hiding, just shoot her to bits with the M4. Now, when she's walking about you can't hit her, she'll just hit the bullets with her tentacles.

So, what I did was chase her about a bit, and when she pulls out her gun, hid behind a corner, so that she can't hit you when she shoots. As she puts her gun away, THEN shoot her! Get used to this 'tactic' and you'll be able to get a few shots while she gets her gun out too! Watch out for when she rolls in to a ball, it's a potential 1 hit kill! Hope this helps!

vpance

Only up to the beginning of Act 3, but does it seem like much less codec convos than previous games? Not counting the mission briefing stuff i mean. I remember in MGS3 just calling people back repeatedly hearing all the funny shit. I actually liked that stuff...
Though it was funny when Snake just cuts of Rose during a call when it sounded like she was gonna get wordy like in MGS2 :)

Furoba

Just finished the game. Fucking epic game, must be the best in the series.

Wasn't anyone irritated by the split screen battles? Also, Shadow Moses = just WOW

Cronen

EviLore said:

-9 continues. No deaths during boss fights, 4 from gekkou instadeath trampling, 3 from normal enemies catching me off guard at close range in the first act (you can die very quickly under those circumstances), 2 from accidentally killing story-important characters with explosive rounds :D

-~60 alert phases. I enjoyed the shooting a lot so I would participate fully in some of the big battles, ignoring the alerts.

-A lot of kills. 500+? don't remember, a lot though. I think it was 280 at the end of the first or second act, heh.

-No special items used

60+ Weapons would have gotten you a new FaceCamo! Close!

Well, spent from about 11:00 pm to 4:00 am beating the ever loving shit out of this game!!!!!!! it's a Metal Gear Tradition. Hell with MGS1 me and a Buddy had forgotten to clear enough room on a memory card, and thus had no ability to save to we played through on one LONG motherfucking playthrough.

Overall, it is very good, but probably still not my favorite in the series (that goes to MGS1 or MGS3) but it is better than MGS2. Oddly enough they really have a lot in common.

Gameplay:
I liked the overall faction vs faction gameplay though it took a while to click.
My biggest problem with it was, once it did it was over. I finally had gotten into the whole battlefield stealth thing, then BOOM, no more of that for the rest of the game. It turned into MGS1 with camo for the rest of it.
Act 2 has the best gameplay of the entire game.

However I DO give props to the great action set piece battles
Act 3's chase was aweosme and REX vs RAY was the ultimate badass MGS moment I have been waiting for. Seriously, I was giddy!!!

Props also for the (Act 4 spoilers)
Way that returning to Shadow Moses felt like MGS1 again. I especially liked how they re-recorded lines from part 1 without the crappy accents. I did enjoy that section of the game, but it was altogether too brief.

Still I can't helo but feel like this game had less overall gameplay than even MGS2 did. I think part of it is that each environment felt very sparse and not part of an actual world, unlike Shadow Moses, Big Shell, and Groznj Grad. It's weird, I liked the changes of environment, but missed their cohesion. I think that Kojima had a much grander vision for each environment. It just would have taken another 2 years of dev time to reach it.

The game itself feels extremely linear, much more so than previous games. That's a bit of a disappointment.

Act by Act:

Again, mixed feelings looking back at it. Spoilers ahoy! I'll try to mark these by act as best I can:

Act 1:
Not nearly enough happened for me in this opening act. Meryl and Rat PT 01 were cool, but the game took a bit too long to get into its basic setup for me. Part of it might have been the fact that Kojima released basically every major cinematic from this Act in his trailers. The introduction of Old Snake was well done however.

Act 2:
MUCH better. This act had the best combination of story and gameplay in the game. The story naturally built up to an amazing conclusion and I was pretty much floored throughout. Great environments, that fit the story perfectly made this the epitome of what Kojima was striving for. The stuff with Naomi was interesting, it got me thinking as to whether Snake would make it through the game alive (at this point I was pretty sure he would.) The reveal about Vamp was good, and I liked how Otacon still wants him deader than dead.

Act 3:
Great tone, very Noir, which I assume Kojima was going for. The early gameplay was awesome, and I mention it here because it added well to the tone of the story in this act. The reveal of who the Patriots were was pretty sweet as well (Big Mama rocked!!). Here's where those 90 minute cinematics started coming in though. WOW! Really cool scene at the end of the Act but holy CRAP did that take a long fucking time. That scene could have been done just as well, if not better in half the time. I mean it left like the SOP soldiers were arriving for like 15 minutes. Also, Snake gets his ass kicked. Ouch.

Still the reveal of Mama's bike and some of her lines were just plain AWESOME. I was having geekgasms when Snake got on the bike and we ran through the town.

Act 4:
The fanboy chapter. Gameplay here was probably at its lowest level, but the fun of re-exploring Shadow Moses was sweet. Storywise, it felt a bit filler, and the game really started to enter into unintentional humor territory with the deaths of Vamp and Naomi. I mean, I had had Naomi pegged for death when Hal had fucked her earlier in the game. But WOW, talk about going out in the most devastating, yet completely pointless way possible. I don't, and probably never will, understand why she decided to kill herself. Heck her double/triple agent role had been strange enough up until now, from here it got just plain asinine.

Still I busted out laughing when Otacon screamed "Why does it always end this way?" He's got a point. Sniper Wolf, Emma, and now Naomi, that dude is the kiss of motherfucking death. It took me like a minute or more to stop.

The end of the chapter was sweet, with the appearance of Mei Ling and the Mt. Patriot mobile. Raiden also dies for the second time.

Act 5:
He got better though. This was a pretty non stop fight, though the level was short as FUCK! I thought that it would be more akin to the final areas of MGS1 and PO and well anything, Nope, one area, that's it. The Mantis return was funny, but a little odd though Campbell in that fight was FUCKING GOLD!!!!!! The story reached its conclusion as Kojima drifted ever more to insanity. The game just kept getting more and more absurd as it went on. Meryl and Johhny was silly, Raiden was comedy gold again, and how better to end a game than with a Geriatric Fight!!!!!!

Also, I'm prety sure that Drebin is the devil.

Props to the cinema that plays while running through the Microwave corridor though. It was pretty cool.

After that I was pretty certain no one of importance was going to die. Too many last stands, and it was getting a little overwrought. Then Naomi shows up and I realize that as usual her actions are those of a schizophrenic.

Then Ocelot says that he was working for the same goals as Snake the whole time. WTF??? You could have saved an old man some back pain by MENTIONING this and not trying to kill me you dick!!!!!!!!

Ending:
Ah the happy ending, and Snake blowing his brains out, which I might have bought if it wasn't for the 10 minute fucking cinema that followed it.

Also, Drebin as Devil? Confirmed.

Then we get to the meat of the Ending, the Debriefing. Ah Big Boss, it was so AWESOME to see you, just to watch you go out like a motherfucking punk. FOXDIE? Again, fuck I hate that virus. Not to mention if BB KNEW that snake had the foxdie virus, why not send Snake a note? Also, why make a version of Foxdie programmed to kill Big Boss if you are trying to keep him alive (medically at least.) Also, last we saw BB wasn't he a Terminator Style Cyborg?

The Debriefing entered into unintentional comedy territory when Big Boss REFUSED to fucking die. At the end I half expected him to ask Snake to turn off the oven in his apartment because he forgot before he left. Also, when the FUCK could he have planned this with Naomi, or talked with her if he was in a coma?

Cool seeing Big Boss, story makes no sense.

At the end of the Day, MGS3 still has the best overall story IMO, it just makes the most sense without having to go WTF every 5 minutes. Still, technically MGS4 is amazing, though not the best in the series, I can dig it.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Well, after going to sleep about 5:30 AM, and getting back up about...Noon....I'm back at it.

Well, installing and updating MGO while I have the chance to.

All I remember, is I just finished Act 2, in 9 hours 50 minutes, 240 kills....I'm almost up to Rambo 4.

Klone.K

rubso said:
turn on the Solid Eye just to give you a hint about her place, since she is wearing an Octacomo suit, she can blend with the environment (walls, portrait paintings, etc.). use the M4 or the handgun you have, plus don't forget to use Rations, eventually you'll beat her

Ah thanks, that's a big help.
What's the best Course of action between her hiding, when she's running around gunning for me? Can I just hide out somewhere til she goes into hiding again or does she automatically find you? I tried using the carboard box to mingle with other boxes in one of the rooms but I noticed I can't use it during the boss fight :/

Firewire

Banned
EviLore said:

-No special items used

Kojima, is that you? :lol

Teknoman

One thing i've always liked about the Metal Gear series is that you have a primary objective in the first part of the game, but then that primary "normal" mission gets shot and thats when things get really deep and world threatening.

Also just found out about Act 1 breifing, guess its more or less like an easter egg of sorts. Especially since most people wouldnt watch the breifing on the first act.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Firewire said:
Kojima, is that you? :lol
I didn't die during the bosses either. The only boss fight I didn't love was the
Raging Raven
fight...it just wasn't as creative as the other ones. The other ones all have a really special twist. :)

rubso

Banned
Klone.K said:
What's the best Course of action between her hiding, when she's running around gunning for me? Can I just hide out somewhere til she goes into hiding again or does she automatically find you? I tried using the carboard box to mingle with other boxes in one of the rooms but I noticed I can't use it during the boss fight :/
don't hide, run and look for her, and shoot her with passion lol.
don't forget to use the Solid Eye

Cronen

No one has really mentioned it yet, but what did you all think of (end game spoilers):

The final fight? When I saw the original health bars, and the MGS1 music, I was in awe! Half way through the fight and we have MGS2 bars (pretty much the same) and MGS2 Tanker theme. Then the same with MGS3's health and the Snake Eater theme song. Finally, we had the Old Snake song. That fight was excellent, and brought back some nostalgic memories! :D

andycapps

Klone.K said:

Just keep running and gunning, use the night vision. Just stay away from her when she rolls up into a ball.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Question about the beauty bosses:
Can i shoot them with a normal gun 1st time and then 2nd time with tranq gun to unlock you know what?

Or only with the Tranq gun 2 times around?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom