• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah. It is really hard for me to play another game beside MGS4, hence why I am replaying it again on Big Boss Hard. And I am planning to play it many other times after that as well.

Playing through this a second time, I am actually taking time to explore the iPod. I am actually surprised by how well it is handled. I was listening to the podcast while going on a massacre
as polygon MGS1 Snake wearing a suit firing off a grenades.

I hear the different songs have different effects also. That is pretty cool. You can't play your own music, can you?

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
for the people whove finished it:

how do i start the game with all my equipment?!i started a new game by loading my old save file and when i start theres nothing in my inventory

Defuser

wenis said:

how do i start the game with all my equipment?!i started a new game by loading my old save file and when i start theres nothing in my inventory

You have to meet the MkII

Man the
microwave corridor part
was effective, I kind of teared up. And there's still tons more melodrama to come when I beat the game tomorrow.

wenis said:

You have to reach Metal Gear Mk. II to get all your stuff back.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
darkressurection said:
So, does any one know how to unlock the Altair outfit yet?:D

Also, to the ending.
WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.

this is the criteria...

50 knife kills or knife stuns
50 cqc holds
25 numbers of times discovered

its quite tough but its supposed to be easier with the stealth camo which you get by completing the game on any difficulty without being discovered.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
hahha, Otacon Codec at Shadow Moses
Ask's Snake about how did he defeat Raven in the Tank (MGS1), and eventually says "You're the worlds most hardcore badass...you're..."the shit"

I really like the usage of curse words. Felt weird to have such a violent world in the series, and never hardly use cursewords.

hahaha, Cambell says in a codec: AMERICA FOR THE WIN!

wenis said:
this is the criteria...

50 knife kills or knife stuns
50 cqc holds
25 numbers of times discovered

its quite tough but its supposed to be easier with the stealth camo which you get by completing the game on any difficulty without being discovered.
Shit, that may take a while. :(

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Lonestar said:
I really like the usage of curse words. Felt weird to have such a violent world in the series, and never hardly use cursewords.
That was one thing I noticed too. They didn't go overboard with the swearing but used them very effectively. (Act 2 Spoiler)
I really liked the Laughing Octopus "ISN'T IT FUCKING HILARIOUS!?" For some reason the line seemed much eerier with the use swearing in it.

Just finished the game. It's strange playing through the whole series in a period of a whole few months. I grew so attached to these characters and MGS3's story was fresh in my head. I almost don't want it to end but this is such a fitting conclusion to the story.

Damn good job Hideo.

Teknoman

Word of warning to those who want the MGS4 headset, you may have to make a few return trips. Some of em are defective, give off extreme freeback or have constant static or popping noises.

I got stuck with a defective one, going to try and get a replacement tomorrow. There were only 2 left at the time though...

Woo-Fu

Banned
g35twinturbo said:
I love this game but who knows if I will ever beat the game without being spotted lol

There is one boss who is practically surrounded by henchmen, I'm not sure how you would do that part without being spotted.

Killing 20+ henchmen in a large open area without the boss in the same area breaking your cover seems pretty damned difficult. On top of it, this boss SPOILER:
can detect you by smell if you are upwind of her, lol

Narag

Played all the way to the middle of act IV and before I realized the mayflash vga cable i was using on this has the audio cables inverted. :lol :(

Just finished act 3...and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST AGHHHHHH

Eva one of the Patriots? The Patriots were founded by Major Zero?!? Big Boss' body... And the whole bike escape really erased the line between cutscenes and gameplay... just wow, just wow

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Woo-Fu said:
There is one boss who is practically surrounded by henchmen, I'm not sure how you would do that part without being spotted.

Killing 20+ henchmen in a large open area without the boss in the same area breaking your cover seems pretty damned difficult. On top of it, this boss SPOILER:
can detect you by smell if you are upwind of her, lol

maybe sleep the henchmen?

I been sleeping people all day lol

ScissorHands said:
Just finished act 3...and JESUS FUCKING CHRIST AGHHHHHH

Eva one of the Patriots? The Patriots were founded by Major Zero?!? Big Boss' body... And the whole bike escape really erased the line between cutscenes and gameplay... just wow, just wow

I thought the revelation that Zero/Paramedic/Sigint/et al were the original Patriots was... weird. I didn't see it coming, and in hindsight, I'm not sure it works. Just the way they were portrayed in MGS3... kind of hard for me to swallow that they would eventually become so corrupt. There wasn't much to suggest or foreshadow that.

But I still have to beat the game, maybe it will make more sense later

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
just defeated
crying wolf

these boss battles are fucking epic. it takes me like 30 min to an hour to kill each one

Kuroyume

Banned
The latest 1-up show showed a bunch of
live action movies
from the game including one where
David Hayter is being interviewed by a woman in front of an audience.
It made me wonder... Does the Japanese version of the game have this same movie or does it have one featuring the Japanese voice actor?

SleazyC

Kuroyume said:
The latest 1-up show showed a bunch of
live action movies
from the game including one where
David Hayter is being interviewed by a woman in front of an audience.
It made me wonder... Does the Japanese version of the game have this same movie or does it have one featuring the Japanese voice actor?
Try changing the TV channel using the directional buttons at the start of the game.
The Hayter interview is on one of the channels

revolverjgw said:
I thought the revelation that Zero/Paramedic/Sigint/et al were the original Patriots was... weird. I didn't see it coming, and in hindsight, I'm not sure it works. Just the way they were portrayed in MGS3... kind of hard for me to swallow that they would eventually become so corrupt. There wasn't much to suggest or foreshadow that.

But I still have to beat the game, maybe it will make more sense later

Well, think about it this way:
They were all the ones involved with Snake Eater who were pawns led to believe they were fighting against The Boss. EVA told Snake the truth, Snake conveyed this information to the rest of his team, from there they could have wanted to atone for their sins and carry on the will of The Boss. They didn't think they were doing anything wrong...at least not in their perspective.

Just finished act 4.

Holy shit.

Greatest moments in gaming history.
The splitscreen battle was INTENSE. Never seen anything like it. Absolutely genius. I also got really choked up when you come up to the base and Best is Yet to Come starts to play. So beautifully nostalgic...I can't believe it's been 10 years.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
WTF ARGH

I just met up with Drebin for the first time and my PS3 randomly shuts off!

This machine is NOT impressing me on its first day.

jvalioli

Linkzg said:
Well, think about it this way:
They were all the ones involved with Snake Eater who were pawns led to believe they were fighting against The Boss. EVA told Snake the truth, Snake conveyed this information to the rest of his team, from there they could have wanted to atone for their sins and carry on the will of The Boss. They didn't think they were doing anything wrong...at least not in their perspective.
And actually they did a lot of good up until the end of the Cold War. I think Major Zero is the only one that was really corrupt, as he continue on. They don't talk too much about Signit and Para-Medic though, outside of their deaths.

jvalioli said:
And actually they did a lot of good up until the end of the Cold War. I think Major Zero is the only one that was really corrupt, as he continue on. They don't talk too much about Signit and Para-Medic though, outside of their deaths.

Well, we know that
Para-Medic got involved with the whole cloning Big Boss stuff.

jvalioli

zankara said:
So is this worth getting if I have never played a MGS game before?
No.

Linkzg said:
Well, we know that
Para-Medic got involved with the whole cloning Big Boss stuff.
Yeah, Signit was the DARPA Chief also. I don't considers both of those things to be corrupt. Though, I guess cloning is a little dodgy.

Costanza

Banned
zankara said:
So is this worth getting if I have never played a MGS game before?
Get essentials first. Really, for 29.99 you get MGS 1,2,3 which were some of the best games I've ever played, even when playing MGS1 10 years after release it didn't feel aged at all.

You won't have any fucking idea what is going on in MGS4 without them.

I just finished act 1.
I really have to say this game collectively shits on every other narrative, character, and cinematic endeavor brought to a video game.

In the span of 15 min I would experience excitement, feel tears welling up, and be laughing out loud. I mean its ridiculous, no game has ever had me this captivated with every single thing going on. I honestly believe in the relationships established and my god when has a intro and game over screen ever given you fricken chills before.

Another thing the character modeling, the faces and detail is just staggering and I dont think anything touches it right now not even Uncharted.

zankara

Costanza said:
Get essentials first. Seriously, for 29.99 you get MGS 1,2,3 which were some of the best games I've ever played even up until yesterday.

Pretty sure essentials was never released in NZ. I guess I will have to track them all down separately.

Zophar

Metal Gear Solid 4 stands head and shoulders over the entire industry. It transcends the medium in damn near every way: in interactivity, in storytelling, and in cinematic and aural presentation. Kojima and Konami have raised the bar entirely and I doubt anyone else in the field will come close to it any time soon.

Having just finished it, I have never been so blown away or emotionally moved quite like this. Everything that has come before it in this generation pales in comparison.

Dave1988

BruceLeeRoy said:
Another thing the character modeling, the faces and detail is just staggering and I dont think anything touches it right now not even Uncharted.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I do have to admit to many times during the cutscenes I thought to myself "Holy Shit! This looks like a high class CG movie."

Dave1988 said:
I think that's a bit of an exaggeration, but I do have to admit to many times during the cutscenes I thought to myself "Holy Shit! This looks like a high class CG movie."

Dont mess with me Dave. I am a highly big ball of ridiculous hyperbole, excitement, and
pre-teen emotions.

HAHA! Damn right I refused to lower the Meta score in the OP for MGS when it was a 93 on metacritic and its right back to the 95 its always been.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Act 4 :
METAL GEAR BATTLE WAS EPIC!!

Also, the Otacon/Naomi scene was so sad... same with the Raiden flashback with Rose...

Act 5 is getting intense :O

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dunno if someone's interested but...

Gameplay: 4, 3, 2, 1

Story: 3, 4, 2, 1

Characters: 4, 1, 3, 2

Boss units: Fox Hound > Beauty and the Beast > Dead Cell > Cobra (yes, I liked the actual battles with Cobra Unit, but their story sucked ass).

Overall, this is the best Metal Gear Solid game and definitely one of the best games ever created.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom