• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Acid08 said:
Opening

Was there supposed to be a really long opening cutscene? It threw me into action and the only major cutscene was the one where they picked up Snake at the cemetary. Idk I though there would be some epic cut scene before being thrown right into the action

Did you not get two extremely weird commercials? I remember sitting there wondering what the fuck I was watching as these people did some Tae-Bo-esque work out :lol

Ferrio

Banned
Overall very impressed with the actual gameplay, the story on the other hand was underwhelming which MGS3 topped easily.

Oh and

Bets on Johnny becoming the new MGS poster boy? Thought he kinda stole the show toward the end.

rod

Banned
Ferrio said:
Overally very impressed with the actual gameplay, the story on the other hand was underwhelming.

Oh and

Bets on Johnny becoming the new MGS poster boy? Thought he kinda stole the show toward the end.

story underwhelming? um :|

and i doubt it@your spoiler

holy shit. i'm not sure what the point of this post is....just want to say that today is my birthday, i'm drunk as a motherfucker waiting for 1up yours to finish downloading, and that mgs4 is absolutely amazing. i beat
laughing octopus
today, i hope i did the spoiler tags right, and it was awesome. i watched the 1up show today and the footage they showed was mostly from act 2, but it was awesome to watch. and yeah, that's it. mgs4 is uttery breathtaking, in every sense of the word. it completely validates the "games are art" argument. that is all. w00t

Furoba

bigben85 said:
why can't you buy chaff grenades? I had some and used it all and then it never allowed me to buy any. Probably same for some other weapons.

I think I only got 2 chaff grenades in the entire game... Would make the game a lot easier though...

kairu

About Unlockables:

Did anyone else think that there would be an unlockable MGS1? I mean they have almost all of shadow moses made, and models for Meryl, Young Snake, Psycho Mantis, and Ocelot.

Damn.

Datrio

Just finished watching the ending (at least I think so). My mind is overwhelmed with this game, absolutely fucking fantastic. No other game any time soon will come just as close to this in terms of playability, characters, story and all the extra features you don't even notice during the normal playthrough!

Kojima-san, you are a God among men!

Costanza said:
How do you unlock the Altair costume?
By getting the Assassin emblem after completing the game. I thing you have to get spotted less than 25 times and CQC grab over 50 guys and maybe kill them that way too.

Costanza

Banned
JPBrowncoat said:
By getting the Assassin emblem after completing the game. I thing you have to get spotted less than 25 times and CQC grab over 50 guys and maybe kill them that way too.
Hmm, that doesn't seem too hard. Can it be done on very easy?

Furoba

Linkzg said:
I tried to
run up and stab him to death. Basically, I was hoping Snake would cut off his head. Regenerate from that, bitch!

I was trying to get a headshot with the rail gun at Lv3, but it did little damage. Because stun grenades always respawned I thought you needed to stuff a stun grenade in his mouth in CQC, killing the vampire inside, but sadly no such ending. :(

Costanza said:
I believe so. Here's the full description I got from someone on Penny Arcade.
More than 50 knife kills/stuns, more than 50 CQC holds, less than 25 times "discovered"

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Costanza said:
According to the guide, there is no difficulty requirement.

The EXACT requirements are:

Enemies defeated with knife kills or knife stuns > 50
Number of CQC holds > 50
Number of times discovered < 25

Y2Kev said:
According to the guide, there is no difficulty requirement.

The EXACT requirements are:

Enemies defeated with knife kills or knife stuns > 50
Number of CQC holds > 50
Number of times discovered < 25

Do you have the guide?

Reading gamefaqs, I'm wondering if these items are worth it. Does the guide go into what these weapons/items do?

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
I think I am going to bail out of this thread and go play the damn thing. Screw my stomach virus, I'll ruin my pants if I have to!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Linkzg said:
Do you have the guide?

Reading gamefaqs, I'm wondering if these items are worth it. Does the guide go into what these weapons/items do?
Get the LE guide. It isn't just a guide. It is a thing of beauty.

Y2Kev said:
When I saw someone's pics of it and that it was hardcover and included awesome art, I had to order it. Unfortunately, I won't get it for a couple more days.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I finished the game:

the ending was just incredible. when the scene opens on jack laying on the bed and then rose and the kid come in and she tells him everything....i started to cry a bit. that was just i dont know. all that stuff raiden went thru and yeah it all came to a head.holy cow. then when snake is kneeling there with the gun in his mouth...damn. I fucking cant believe big boss was still alive and zero and just everything. Hideo literally tied up everything the series had offered. I still cant believe everything that just happend in the past 2 days. my entire gaming career has been wrapped up in this since mgs1 and i cant believe its finally over. its extremely bittersweet to realize snakes story is over.....who knows what is next.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I have avoided this topic until I played the game. And by God, this is the greatest game OF ALL TIME. And I haven't even beaten it yet (close though.)

It will certainly be interesting to see where Metal Gear goes from here. Without Kojima. I wouldn't be surprised to see some more prequels. Or remakes of the original MSX games and whatnot. But then again...For now...WHO CARES! MGS4 is amazing! Must start second play through! Must try MGO! Go go go!

Y2Kev said:

I will think about it.

I just realized I have a $5 coupon for it! I am gonna pick it up tomorrow.

wait a minute. Where can you get it? Gamestop's website only shows "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Official Strategy Guide". Not the LE one...or is this it?

Mrbob

TheJollyCorner said:
so it's bad to kill people?

I've killed more PMC's than cancer. :(

Yeah DM was giving me a tough time earlier because he had only killed 250 people all game and I have already taken out 138 people in act one alone. :lol

Linkzg said:
I will think about it.

Get it ;D

i just ordered mine through best buy. had 20 dollars in Reward coupon and only had to pay the difference of $2.71 :lol won't be opening it of course. just to look at

Mrbob said:
Yeah DM was giving me a tough time earlier because he had only killed 250 people all game and I have already taken out 138 people in act one alone. :lol

If you had that many. Then Act 2... :lol

Costanza

Banned
Linkzg said:
I will think about it.

wait a minute. Where can you get it? Gamestop's website only shows "Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots Official Strategy Guide". Not the LE one...or is this it?
Looks like they sold out of it online. The store I got the game at only received 2 copies.

edit: you can still get it here
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...guide&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1207352587116

rod

Banned
is anyone else finding it hard to find motivation to play something else right now? i had a massive hard on for NG2 and grid which is now limp :lol

Somnia

No spoilers....

I just finished ACT 3. This is by far the most cinematic and most "moving" story I have ever experienced in a video game period. I honestly feel like this has out done anything Hollywood has produced in a longgggg time. Yes the story is a bit out there, but who cares? The whole end section of ACT 3 is insane. My jaw was down the entire time almost it just felt like I was watching a huge budget action movie/summer flick. My god I cannot see anything passing this up anytime soon and I really feel sorry for anyone who will not experience this game.

OverHeat

« generous god »
rod said:
is anyone else finding it hard to find motivation to play something else right now? i had a massive hard on for NG2 and grid which is now limp :lol

I Finished MGS4 and I have no motivation to go back at NG2....

OatmealMu

Finished Act 1. Took me five hours. Even after MGO, it still took me a while to get to grips with the game. Whenever I see a battle, I want to charge in. Must... sneak...

Costanza said:
Looks like they sold out of it online. The store I got the game at only received 2 copies.

edit: you can still get it here
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...guide&lp=7&type=product&cp=1&id=1207352587116

Ok, thanks. I'll check local gamestops tomorrow, if they don't have it, I'll expand my options.

OatmealMu said:
Finished Act 1. Took me five hours. Even after MGO, it still took me a while to get to grips with the game. Whenever I see a battle, I want to charge in. Must... sneak...

Yeah, I realized that I can't be running up to enemies and stabbing them to dealth like I used to online.

Although, unlike online, I can actually use a soldier as cover without another player shooting me in my head without hesitation. It is awesome to grab an enemy and points your gun and his teammates as you walk back, then you disarm him, throw him to the ground, and haul your (toned) ass out of there.

TheJollyCorner said:
so it's bad to kill people?

I've killed more baddies than cancer. :(

You enjoy all the killing, thats why!

Costanza

Banned
Linkzg said:
Ok, thanks. I'll check local gamestops tomorrow, if they don't have it, I'll expand my options.

It's gonna be 29.99-5=24.99 in the store, so it might be worth just grabbing it online for 22 and not wasting gas.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Im currently at beginning of ACT IV, so awesome. Im getting sad that this will be the last mgs well see, imagine what could be done on the ps4, oh.my.god.

Costanza

Banned
dog$ said:
Is it comparable to the MGS3 book they came out with? How much art/extra stuff is in it?
I don't know about the MGS3 book, but it's hardcover, with a numbered to 40k shinkawa lithograph and 16 pages of solid snake art, also a (mostly) spoiler-free walkthrough.

Mrbob

DMPrince said:
If you had that many. Then Act 2... :lol

The rebellion must win! I've helped them capture like 4 strategic victories already. Nice feeling when they are all cheering and you helped them win. :D

i'm only about 1 hour into the story but fuck this is so good. i want to open my LE strategy guide so bad because it's so beautiful but i can't until i finish the first play-through.

is anyone even close to 20 hours of gameplay in MGO to create the GAF clan?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Costanza said:
it's hardcover, with a numbered to 40k shinkawa lithograph and 16 pages of solid snake art, also a (mostly) spoiler-free walkthrough.
Thanks.

Doesn't sound like it's as valuable as the MGS3 book. That thing was loaded.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
dog$ said:
Thanks.

Doesn't sound like it's as valuable as the MGS3 book. That thing was loaded.

I don't remember this LE guide at all, granted I was in the hospital at the time.

probune

rod said:

Same here! Don't think I'll be playing more Ninja Gaiden anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom