• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kaytwo said:
So I presume I have to get him in a CQC hold and use the syringe however whenever I try and do that he simply slaps me away. What do I do?
Help Please.
You're on the right track, keep trying.
I got him on the first attempt. Maybe you should try to approach him from behind?

Edit:
.nimrod said:
Do a few headshots with your tranq gun, equip your syringe, grab him while he is dazed and inject it with triangle

Oh, that explains it.
I tried to kill him with the tranquilizer gun before I asked Otacon for help, so both his stamina and health was almost gone before I did the CQC/syringe stuff.

AmMortal

Banned
dabookerman said:
Right, 2 hours 30 mins in, and i'm on act 4. Just got the
Raging Raven statue.
To get them, you have to tranq their beast form, which is a lot quicker with the Mosin Sagant. I will get Crying wolfs one next, but I will need laughing octopus aswell. Will do another speed run after this and get a bandana, and that will be all.

Have you used the Cry/ laugh/ Rage/scream bullets? I left a whole army of men crying at the South American level :lol :lol

Myzer

InvincibleAgent said:
Would someone like me who's never played an MGS also think it's the greatest ever? Or should I look for a copy of Twin Snakes for GCN?

Working on it.

I'm a total MGS newbie (MGS4 is my first MGS), only a small about into the game, and I've more than once been hit with wow factor. Although I did back track a bit and lookup/watch stuff in the previous games.

Greatest game ever? I'll tell you in a month.

A game that you REALLY need to play because it is completely and utterly awesome (so far)? Yes.

Kaytwo

More Act 4 Spoilers:-

Whats the best strategy for taking down the suicide gekko? I've failed 3 times and died once already in about 15 minutes.

Kaytwo said:

Whats the best strategy for taking down the suicide gekko? I've failed 3 times and died once already in about 15 minutes.
I died an awful lot of times before I figured out a good strategy. Use the Railgun with lvl 3 charge (full). If you do head shots they'll die instantly, circumventing the self destruction problem.

Edit:
AmMortal said:
Ah, thanks :D
You're welcome.

AmMortal

Banned
Kaytwo said:

!

Get the Solid Eye out, Look for a small circle on the top of the gekko's heads, shoot that. While going backwards, stay underneath the legs of Metal Gear Rex

Kaytwo

AmMortal said:
!
Get the Solid Eye out, Look for a small circle on the top of the gekko's heads, shoot that. While going backwards, stay underneath the legs of Metal Gear Rex

Thanks alot. Didn't think of that.

.nimrod

Kaytwo said:

if you mean that fight after you fought
Vamp
:
a good way is to charge the railgun by holding L1. while fully charged it just takes one hit to destroy a gekko

Act 4, during the battle against
the suicide Metal Gears, do you have to use the Rail Gun? I ran out of ammo and couldn't figure out another way to stop them... I went to Drebin's shop to buy more ammo and beat it, but I'm wondering what other ways there are to deal with them. I kind of felt it was cheating buying all that stuff in the middle of battle

AmMortal

Banned
revolverjgw said:
Act 4, during the battle against
the suicide Metal Gears, do you have to use the Rail Gun? I ran out of ammo and couldn't figure out another way to stop them... I went to Drebin's shop to buy more ammo and beat it, but I'm wondering what other ways there are to deal with them. I kind of felt it was cheating buying all that stuff in the middle of battle
+Kaytwo
use the railgun

Kazenone

Rail gun tips :
If you hold L1 and go into FPS mode, you can see what charge level the gun is at. A level 3 shot will use a single unit of Ammo, and kill a Gekko in one

zam

Any tips on how to beat Raging Raven? I've gotten her down to just a sliver twice but at the checkpoint where I face her I don't have any healing items, and I can't find any :(

Ydahs

Has anyone played this who previously never played a MGS? How is it? I'm thinking of getting it once I get a PS3 but I'm unsure of the purchase.

Also, how long is the longest cutscene?

AmMortal

Banned
Ydahs said:
Has anyone played this who previously never played a MGS? How is it? I'm thinking of getting it once I get a PS3 but I'm unsure of the purchase.

Not long.

Dude, I played this game for so long the first day I got it, I fell asleep playing it.

I forgot to sleep!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ydahs said:

Mmm...50 minutes maybe? I wasn't really timing them. They're all really well done, so even the longest ones are not total wastes of time even if you don't know anything about metal gear.

But you can just skip them and IMO this is a totally rewarding game experience.

rod

Banned
Ydahs said:

if you have never played a mg game, i would be a bit....sceptical on buying a ps3 just for the game. MG is a game thats definitely not for everyone, although i do think that mgs4 caters for the action gamer as well as the stealth player.

but if you have a ps3, or are considering buying a ps3 regardless of mgs4, then imo you MUST buy mgs4.

Holy crap :lol just found a real cheapy way of doing the end of act 4
When you're doing the escape with rex, spam the forward X move (the charge forward), seriously, i got out of there in 90 seconds, and I only got like 20% damage in total, any gekkos in the way, and its insta-kill

Ydahs said:

The cut scenes can be VERY long. A series of them can go over an hour. They can be paused though and the game will sometimes give you a chance to save between them. It's a really good game, but I'm saying that as a person that's loved the entire series, and I think this one may be my favorite, on my 2nd runthrough right now. If you've got a PS2 you might want to try the collection first

AmMortal

Banned
dabookerman said:
Holy crap :lol just found a real cheapy way of doing the end of act 4
When you're doing the escape with rex, spam the forward X move (the charge forward), seriously, i got out of there in 90 seconds, and I only got like 20% damage in total, any gekkos in the way, and its insta-kill

Is there a way we can select acts individually?

I mean, I want to replay Act 4, do I have to replay the whole game and make seperate saves for each individual act so I can replay it?

AmMortal said:

I mean, I want to replay Act 4, do I have to replay the whole game and make seperate saves for each individual act so I can replay it?

Looks like you need to create seperate saves, which is a shame.

After 3 hours and 15 minutes, I'm on the final act!

KZObsessed

Ydahs said:

The only MGS I've played before this, is MGS3, tho I knew the stories of the first two. But MGS4 is still one of my fav games ever. You do need to know the stories, and actually play them to get the full emotional impact, but you will still enjoy MGS4 greatly without. MGS3 and MGS1 would be the two most important to play imo. I would suggest playing MGS3 at least, just because it's so amazing.

45 minutes according to IGN.

Defuser

zam said:
Any tips on how to beat Raging Raven? I've gotten her down to just a sliver twice but at the checkpoint where I face her I don't have any healing items, and I can't find any :(
Buy a shitload of Anti tank portable missiles and fired at her when she is staying still. And they're cheap too. :D

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
AmMortal said:
Dude, I played this game for so long the first day I got it, I fell asleep playing it.

I forgot to sleep!

You were warned to take breaks!

Fired it up last night. I was trying to wait until I had completed Ninja Gaiden in fear that once I went over to the Snakeside, it would be a long time before I went back to the slicing up fiends. Oh well.

Not very far into it, but I'm very impressed so far. Story is as camp as ever, but the cinematic are incredibly artistic and the visuals are really amazing.

Got up to
a dude shitting in a barrel
and called it a night.

AmMortal said:

I just did individual saves throughout the game so I can revisit parts like chapters of a book.

Just got the game, big Metal Gear fan although I lost the story completely during MGS2.

I just bought it and am still fighting my way through act 1, I really need to learn how to sneak again. I'm terrible at it, strage enough.

Can someone tell me what that first real life movie was about? I mean I know who the guy in the interview is, but... wtf?

Raven1907 said:
The cut scenes offered no emotion, i felt nothing, and this is from someone who cried at points in mgs 1 and 2. The soundtrack was poor aswell.

rofl - could you describe the scenes that made you cry

AmMortal

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
Just got the game, big Metal Gear fan although I lost the story completely during MGS2.

I just bought it and am still fighting my way through act 1, I really need to learn how to sneak again. I'm terrible at it, strage enough.

Can someone tell me what that first real life movie was about? I mean I know who the guy in the interview is, but... wtf?

You could change channels.
You were right though, its very weird.

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
Moz La Punk said:

You could have actually flipped channels if you're referring to the opening video. There are about a dozen programs to choose from.

AmMortal

Banned
urk said:
You could have actually flipped channels if you're referring to the opening video. There are about a dozen programs to choose from.

12?

I only say 5!

My, my... This game really is the Best Game Ever.

I never thought, I would see this day...

I love the Johnny character.
The marriage proposal/epic fight was funny and charming, the goofy humor he provides even in the middle of a Frog Unit battle keeps the game grounded, the nostalgic twist of his real identity is nice, and the hilariously simple explanation for how he avoided being controlled by SOP... so brilliant, so Metal Gear

zam

Defuser said:
Buy a shitload of Anti tank portable missiles and fired at her when she is staying still. And they're cheap too. :D
Using the stinger heat-seeking missiles but she dodges like 4 out 5

RuGalz

Is there anyway to drop down from a platform that's maybe about table height softly, without making noise in the game? I read through the manual and didn't see a way to do it. Not being able to drop down softly has screwed me over a couple times already. I know you can hang onto ledge at big drops (at places where they want you to do it only? >.>) but I can't figure out how to do small drops without making noise.

rod

Banned
revolverjgw said:
I love the Johnny character.
The marriage proposal/epic fight was funny and charming, the goofy humor he provides even in the middle of a Frog Unit battle keeps the game grounded, the nostalgic twist of his real identity is nice, and the hilariously simple explanation for how he avoided being controlled by SOP... so brilliant, so Metal Gear

i thought
it was awesome that even in mgs1, he was having the same stomach pains, and going to the toilet while snake was in his cell :lol he was so insignificant back then! :lol also his remark "damn that woman is built alright"@meryl, classic

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
AmMortal said:
12?

I only say 5!

My, my... This game really is the Best Game Ever.

I never thought, I would see this day...

Well, maybe I'm exaggerating. Seemed like a bunch to me.

Anyone saw the
box in the beginning of the game when those gekkos are hunting you, the box with melons

It says
no place to hideo
. It's so obvious that
Hideo Kojima wants to say 'hey I'm not letting people put me in a box so I have to make a thousand more metal gear games'.
Pretty cool.

AmMortal

Banned
Moz La Punk said:
Anyone saw the
box in the beginning of the game when those gekkos are hunting you, the box with melons

It says
no place to hideo
. It's so obvious that
Hideo Kojima wants to say 'hey I'm not letting people put me in a box so I have to make a thousand more metal gear games'.
Pretty cool.

The BOX is No Place for Hideo ?!

Maybe it was another poke at xBOX?!

How come we've never noticed it before :lol

zam

Defuser said:
Use the other ATP missile.
I got her now with the stingers, seems than using first-person rather than third-person worked a lot better.

AmMortal said:
Everytime I see your avatar, I can't help but read your posts in that supicious tone..
fry_gaf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom