• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

.hacked

just beat the game.

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow

time to start the multiplayer, hope the next ZoE is good :D

Does anyone know if the Japanese version of 'Making Of' Blu-ray has english voice or english subtitles?

PM me the answer if you can as I haven't played the game yet and am afraid to browse through this thread.

I just want to know if I need to buy the NA Limited Edition to enjoy the Making of Blu-ray in english.

Thanks guys.

Won

Prvt.Pegleg said:
Now, from someone who has beaten the game and isn't blinded by Kojimism, is it a good idea for me to sell my Wii + PS2 and possibly 360 in order to get a PS3 + this game? I mean, I haven't really been watching the PS3 line up for the future and I need to know if, in the long run, I'll have only bought the console for MGS4.

I figure the multiplayer is MGS4 is hilariously fun but at the same time competitive but do any of you think this game would be considered for pickup in a league like MLG? I ask this not because I care about the leagues but I like the high competitive play and large community it usually brings to the game.

I'm a fan of the series (well I thought MGS2 was great, MG3 was a blast, and I only beat Twin Snakes because I only played MGS when I was a wee lad) but I don't know if it is worth it. What are the chances of a director's cut being made? Should I wait until Gears of War 2 is released to see if I should jump ship? By that time will anybody still be playing the multiplayer?

I'm only at the end of Act 3 but I will say no, it is not worth selling everything you have. Good game, but not that good.

Ceb

Brandon F said:
One question...how do you handle doors silently? In MGS3 you can go into FP and lean with the triggers to slightly tilt the door open to look outside as well as then use the d-pad to quietly open the door without making noise or drawing attention... MGS4 if you bump the thing it swings open wildly making enough noise to get the entire armed forces on your ass. What can you do???

I think opening them while crouching fixes this.

Wollan

DancingCactus77 said:
Does anyone know if the Japanese version of 'Making Of' Blu-ray has english voice or english subtitles?

PM me the answer if you can as I haven't played the game yet and am afraid to browse through this thread.

I just want to know if I need to buy the NA Limited Edition to enjoy the Making of Blu-ray in english.

Thanks guys.

My Australian copy of the game offers both English and Japanese (only two languages) on the bonus BRD.

AzerPhire

Overall I would say MGS 4 was the best movie I ever played.

I do have a few questions about the story:

1.What was the deal with Naomi and Vamp at the end of Act 4? She comes off like she is in love with Otacon yet Vamp is calling her his Queen and she is all over him.

2. If Eva knew that Big Boss was still alive (Which she must have since she brought him back to life) then why did she run in to the fire after Solidus' body? At the end Big Boss says Fox Die killed when really she had already suffered a major injury plus then bring burned alive.

3. At the end Big Boss says Eva and Ocelot put their grand scheme into motion which started with the events of MGS1 so was her death part of this plan?

4. Was Ocelot in control of himself or was it Liquids 'Personality' that had taken over from the nano machines and hypnosis? Big Boss refers to him as Liquid in the ending so I am assuming Liquid's personality was in control.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Ceb said:
I think opening them while crouching fixes this.

I'll try that. Shame, as convoluted as MGS3's controls were, I really miss the complex actions they offered and were pulled in MGS4. Granted shooting has never been better than in MGS4, but many stealth maneuvers seems really scaled back. :/

Kazenone

AzerPhire said:
2. If Eva knew that Big Boss was still alive (Which she must have since she brought him back to life) then why did she run in to the fire after Solidus' body? At the end Big Boss says Fox Die killed when really she had already suffered a major injury plus then bring burned alive.

Regarding question 2

To my understanding, Solidus was the perfect clone of Big Boss. At the end Big Boss explained that he was imprisoned that was connected to the system by Zero, which could only be unlocked with his own DNA from the outside. The only other way to unlock it, was to use Solidus' DNA.

TomO

Act 5 help

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Make sure you keep your face and body camo on to match the floor you're on. Don't be in alert phase - remember that if it's not in alert, they don't know where you are, so caution phase is just fine. Don't even try to fight in that area, there's so many of them.

I've tried sneaking down the side but I always lose it in the larger area with the Gekos in it. Is there an ideal route to take? Can I open the door without anyone seeing me? Really enjoying the game but I've been replaying that small section for the last 2 hours and it's starting to grate.

wow I suck, I'm failing many many times on act 1 levels (solid normal)

I also thought it auto saved at checkpoints so I have to redo a bunch of levels today

traveler

Not Wario
Brandon F said:
I'll try that. Shame, as convoluted as MGS3's controls were, I really miss the complex actions they offered and were pulled in MGS4. Granted shooting has never been better than in MGS4, but many stealth maneuvers seems really scaled back. :/

I dunno if it can go through doors, but try using the MKII to look through them instead.

MoxManiac

Scott32020 said:
wow I suck, I'm failing many many times on act 1 levels (solid normal)

I also thought it auto saved at checkpoints so I have to redo a bunch of levels today

Is the game really hard on normal? I'm really, really terrible at MGS games, but since MGS4 looks so omg awesome I didn't want to spoil it by going easy.

MoxManiac said:
Is the game really hard on normal? I'm really, really terrible at MGS games, but since MGS4 looks so omg awesome I didn't want to spoil it by going easy.

You can manage on Big Boss Hard too. Unless you're going for the no kill thing [which is still possible] if i can do it :lol

-

anyways. ordered my LE COllector guide at bestbuy.com. store pickup option. I see that they still have copies of it in stock still as they emailed me it's available to pick up now. woot.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Ydahs said:
Has anyone played this who previously never played a MGS? How is it? I'm thinking of getting it once I get a PS3 but I'm unsure of the purchase.

Also, how long is the longest cutscene?

Yeah, I hated MGS 1 and 2. MGS 4 is a fucking god send; a great mix of stealth and feasible, enjoyable action. Oh, I might have enjoyed MGS3 with the 3D camera, not sure. Maybe I'll try it one day.

Some negatives; where some would say MGS4 is varied, I'd say its just uneven and irregular in challenge, gameplay style and amount of play between cutscenes. Acts 1 and 2 were so spot on with brilliant action in brilliant locals, but 3 was pretty much just chases, Act 4 was walking between cutscene "nodes" and replaced humans for robots, Act 5 was just a big kerfuffle of strange ideas and gameplay; some good, some bad.

As for the cutscenes. Mega fucking long. There is no one cutscene that is like 90 minutes long, but say in Act 3. You beat the boss and you watch her do her little talky thing, Drebin gives you a call and yabbers forever about her, you go outside, meet up with a character, get into a (cutscene) fight, watch a huge long thing in the river, save your game, install the next chapter, watch the mission briefing and watch the new mission cutscene. I didn't time it, but it was over an hour.

Orlics

I think this game is amazing but I'm one of the people who likes its gameplay and plot and not so much its cutscenes. They are a bit poorly directed, in my opinion. The long pauses between lines of dialogue make them so unnatural. I don't see how anyone can say the direction rivals even standard silver screen fare. I'm a bit disappointed that this aspect of the cutscenes was never improved.

Production values are still way up there though. I'm loving the game so far.

Xtyle

Orlics said:
I think this game is amazing but I'm one of the people who likes its gameplay and plot and not so much its cutscenes. They are a bit poorly directed, in my opinion. The long pauses between lines of dialogue make them so unnatural. I don't see how anyone can say the direction rivals even standard silver screen fare. I'm a bit disappointed that this aspect of the cutscenes was never improved.

total disagreement
"poorly directed" is an insult to any games in the series in regards to cutscenes
I would say starting from 3 it become more and more film quality but 4 actually reaches the goal

Chiggs

Gold Member
Orlics said:
They are a bit poorly directed, in my opinion. The long pauses between lines of dialogue make them so unnatural. .

Poorly directed? I'm afraid not. I know opinions are opinions, but I think any reasonable individual can see that a lot of time went into them. The framing is absolutely excellent. And your comment about the pauses in dialogue? Are you saying they're overusing beats, or do you just find the delivery poor? I can maybe understand that.

Orlics said:

I feel this is the closest gaming has coming to having the look and feel of a movie. The direction is incredible. The dialogue is still MGS like, with Snake asking a question after everything he is told. But the actual scenes between characters is the first game where it doesn't seem fake. You have a scene just two people conversing and they act like normal people, no weird hand gestures, it feels human.

For example, act 3
The scene with Snake and Meryl sitting at a table talking. Find me a game that has a simple conversation dramatic scene like that. It was two people sitting down and talking and it felt just like a movie.

And why would anyone take you up on that offer?

Chiggs said:
Poorly directed? I'm afraid not. I know opinions are opinions, but I think any reasonable individual can see that a lot of time went into them.

Kids! Can you spot the problem with this?

Chiggs

Gold Member
Cdammen said:
Wow. One negative opinion and BAM.

I don't think he qualified his statement very well.

dark steve said:
Kids! Can you spot the problem with this?

Yes, selective quoting. :D If you take it in context, I think you can see what I'm getting at. I just don't know how anyone can look at this game and point to its cutscenes as being the problem (in terms of quality). The production values are superb. In fact, it makes me question if he even knows what directing is.

Cdammen said:
Wow. One negative opinion and BAM.

Well come with an opinion with examples or something. Apparently most disagree, oh well. I doubt anyone will have any objections to saying this game gives you a stupid amount of health items.

Orlics

dabookerman said:
If anyone can name me one game which has collectively better cutscenes than this game, I will gladly have sex with them.

It's probably the best I've seen in any video game.

Most of my complaints are from the mission briefings. I feel they drag on pretty long and could have been paced a lot quicker than they are currently.

Most of the action scenes are SUPERBLY directed and better than many action movies nowadays, I must say.

I think the acting however can be inconsistent and the characters' don't have a real human-like quality to them yet (but this is the best I've personally seen in a game).

I'm not saying there are any games that have better-directed cutscenes than MGS4, I'm just saying even the best of the best is nowhere near Hollywood-quality.

Chiggs said:
Poorly directed? I'm afraid not. I know opinions are opinions, but I think any reasonable individual can see that a lot of time went into them. The framing is absolutely excellent. And your comment about the pauses in dialogue? Are you saying they're overusing beats, or do you just find the delivery poor? I can maybe understand that.

The framing looks like ordinary shaky-cam to me. Yeah they seem to be overusing beats and the delivery CAN be poor but it isn't always. It varies from voice actor to voice actor. I'm just saying it would be considered mediocre among today's television shows.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I'm still amazed... unbelievable game...

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm no huge MGS fan, I haven't played through the whole series.

Just had a chance to spend a bit of proper time with this, and I love it so far. Still in Act 1. The non-linearity in this one is great (already replayed a couple of parts just to see what'd happen if I explored that route, confronted that instead of avoiding etc.). The attention to little details is really impressive.

I was trying to play through entirely in stealth, but just now had to kill someone. My CQC wasn't working, health was running low, I had to start shooting people. In the head.

Still early days, but I love it so far.

edit - oh and the
The scene with the PMC soldier relieving himself in the barrel is hilarious. Kojima Productions certainly knows how to render man-ass well :lol

Chiggs

Gold Member
gofreak said:
Just had a chance to spend a bit of proper time with this, and I love it so far. Still in Act 1. The non-linearity in this one is great (already replayed a couple of parts just to see what'd happen if I explored that route, confronted that instead of avoiding etc.). The attention to little details is really impressive.

Earlier in the thread, one of the mods did a mini-review and stated that the linearity bothered him. I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by that, because after Act 2, I don't think the linearity is nearly as bad as he thinks. Then again, he beat the game, so....

dk_ said:
Can I get the camera after
the chapter 2 briefing? Is it still there in the next one?
I don't think so. But
go to the Mission Briefing screen and load your current save then select the Act 1 briefing. Find the camera and skip out and exit the Mission Briefing screen. Then it lets you save over your current save. It's safe, it only adds any items you get during the briefing.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Chiggs said:
Earlier in the thread, one of the mods did a mini-review and stated that the linearity bothered him. I'm still trying to figure out what he meant by that, because after Act 2, I don't think the linearity is nearly as bad as he thinks. Then again, he beat the game, so....

Well, I'm not very familiar with the previous games, but I always had the impression they were very linear.

Of course, so far in my experience with this, it's linear in so far as you're given a way point, and you get to it. But I really enjoy so far choosing how I approach that. Stealthing my way there, shooting my way there, attacking militia and pmc, playing around with the mkII to scope out what's coming next or to toy with soldiers, the optional detours you can take to find stuff etc. On a macro level it's linear, but on a micro level, I'm really enjoying the choice in proceeding how I wish, which way I go etc. I play it very patiently, I've been lying on the ground for minutes at a time watching soldiers do their thing, passing by, etc. I love it.

Like I say though, I'm very early on, I've no idea how things unfold or develop. It may also be a matter of expectation..I was expecting it to be VERY linear, said mod may have expected it to be less so.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Lakitu said:
Just completed it. I feel a huge sense of resolution but sadness.

Thank you Kojima.

I think I gotta stay out of this thread until I actually get my hands on the game (and system). I already came across info about another location in the game that I didn't want to know... I think it was an MSNBC article. Damn you internet!

FabCam

I'm being distracted by MGO, I'm still on Act 1...

Anyone making an MGO thread in the online section? Just a few things that've been added to it. You can now play music from the other games. There's still Music A, B and off but now there's stuff like MGS2: Tanker, MGS3: Outdoor theme. There's even music from the Metal Gear games.

wowfactor

Banned
Mooreberg said:
I think I gotta stay out of this thread until I actually get my hands on the game (and system). I already came across info about another location in the game that I didn't want to know... I think it was an MSNBC article. Damn you internet!

You need to grab the system whenever you find it because it is more than $100 mark-up on ebay right now.

Remy

FabCam said:
I'm being distracted by MGO, I'm still on Act 1...

Anyone making an MGO thread in the online section? Just a few things that've been added to it. You can now play music from the other games. There's still Music A, B and off but now there's stuff like MGS2: Tanker, MGS3: Outdoor theme. There's even music from the Metal Gear games.

Was made last night.

NewLib

Banned
Finished the game. It was fun. I have a few complaints though.

1) There is way too much exposition. Its like the CAD of Video Games. TOO MANY FUCKING WORDS. The game explains everything, even the easy to understand. Then it explains things repeatedly. The game drags. I swear if they just told you what you needed to know and had the important character scenes, cutscene time would have been cut by 2/3.

2) The bosses, which are a huge part of MGS games, are not up to par.
Vamp fight straight up sucks. Not a big fan of Mantis or the end fight either. Rex/Ray was awesome, but its really the only great boss fight in the game.

3) I hated MGS2 story. I liked MGS1 story even if it was a little out there and MGS3 had a pretty good story. MGS2 was too worried about TWISTS and everything being connected. It made the story an absolute mess. MGS4 falls into the same problems, but WORSE.
Everything dealing with Raiden. Seriously, there are so many plot inconsistencies with him. I still cant believe they turned him into MK Raiden. The end after the credits was completely fanservice and completely stupid. Seriously, Kojima if you wanted to do that just let it happen and dont explain it. Because the explanation sucked.

Overall gameplay was very good and the cinematics were great. Overall, its a pretty damn good game. Not as good as MGS3, but still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom