• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtyle

NewLib said:
Overall gameplay was very good and the cinematics were great. Overall, its a pretty damn good game. Not as good as MGS3, but still good.

What I got from your post is that they are both great games, but you prefer MGS3.
I think it is reasonable for some to like 3 and 1 and not 2 and 4 for the simple fact that 1 and 3 are like a linear personal adventure. 2 and 4 are less linear, and much more complex with many characters shaping the story.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
wowfactor said:
You need to grab the system whenever you find it because it is more than $100 mark-up on ebay right now.

Every version of the system or the MGS4 bundles? I thought the Walmart thing was a Father's Day weekend sale promotion for all PS3's. If I have to buy the game seperately I'm not too worried about it.

$h@d0w

Orlics said:
Wait, is X really confirm in the US version? It's O for me, I'm playing the Asian version. My game is in English. :O

I think it's based on system. I have the PAL UK game but an asian PS3 and it's circle for me.

Orlics

$h@d0w said:
I think it's based on system. I have the PAL UK game but an asian PS3 and it's circle for me.

That's pretty neat. I have a question for you as well, when you play MGO, what servers do you see? UK servers or Asia servers?

traveler

Not Wario
dalin80 said:
Help with vamp please,
iam just not getting anywhere but wasting ammo, what am i missing?

Think about
what Naomi said about him earlier. Then look through your items and read all their descriptions carefully. Think about what they're supposed to do.

Spruchy

dalin80 said:
Help with vamp please,
iam just not getting anywhere but wasting ammo, what am i missing?

cqc grab him by holding down r1 and use the shots from your item menu by having it equipped and hitting triangle when you have him grabbed

Beat it last night, simply amazing so happy to have my copy signed by Kojima himself.

DiddyBop

question for those who have beaten the game. i just simply want to know if the mgs theme song is still in the game. a simple yes or no would do,i dont want to be spoiled by the mention of which part of the game the song is played. thanks.

FabCam

DiddyBop said:
question for those who have beaten the game. i just simply want to know if the mgs theme song is still in the game. a simple yes or no would do,i dont want to be spoiled by the mention of which part of the game the song is played. thanks.

no

Lakitu

st5fu
This game imo is the ultimate MGS, it ties up everything.

I wonder what MGS 5s story will be? I mean it certainly won't be another clone, Snake, Meryl, Raiden, or any other character we know. Maybe a prequel? I can't see there being a sequel, now there's no Patriots and Snake etc.

My opinion:

Act 1: Great and bombastic introduction. You're put right in it straight away. I thoroughly enjoyed this one, although I look forward to playing it this time and not sucking.

Highlights:
The frogs battle, that was incredible. Also making your way to Liquid's camp, the graphics were incredible. Oh and the first time you take down a helicopter with an RPG.

Act 2: Really reminded me of MGS 3. I think the battles were really intense in this. One of my favourite acts.

Highlights:
The battles and how you can use them to your advantage. The scope and depth of the environments. The Laughing Octopus battle, one of my favourite bosses of the whole game. The tracking Naomi segment was well done and one of my favourite parts. The Drebin APC chase sequence, my draw literally dropped. The Raiden introduction, need I say more? And the Gekko's storming the market.

Act 3: Thinking about it, I'd say this is my favourite act. A great mix of cutscenes and gameplay. The atmosphere is the best in this one and some of the scenes are jawdropping. Love the intro.

Highlights:
Following the resistance through the city streets avoiding them and the PMCs; one of my favourite parts in the whole game. The motorbike chase. The Raging Raven boss battle and then the ending cutscene, that one blew me away.

Act 4: Nostalgia at it's finest, felt so emotional going back there. I was blown away. Someone said here that it literally had no gameplay? Umm.... that is completely wrong, in fact I'd say it mostly has gameplay.

Highlights:
The whole act in itself, going back to all those places that we played in the first game. The beginning, when you descend into Shadow Moses with The Best is Yet to Come playing. Otacon telling you to input the code and then putting the wrong one :lol. Crying Wolf's boss battle. The boss battle with Vamp. Split screen action with you taking down the Gekko's with the rail gun while Raiden fights with Vamp. Taking control of Rex and the boss battle with Metal Gear RAY.

Act 5: I got really frustrated doing this, because it was really hard to be stealthy and the first area was so agonising because everyone was shooting me. Drove me nuts. But still a fantastic climax.

Highlights:
Fighting the Frogs in the command center and possibly the Screaming Mantis battle, but I have to say I that was the least enjoyable battle. Mainly coz she drove me fucking nuts and it was a hard battle. Raiden coming in to save your arse and then the split screen segment, when you have to crawl, that part was so emotional. The scene where they enter the virus and Naomi's video came up, I choked up. And finally, the battle with Revolver Ocelot. That was one of the best final boss fights I've played.

Not gonna say much on the ending, but I loved it and it was the best resolution.

Overall: What a game. I'm still gobsmacked. I love it and may well be my favourite MGS. It's between that and MGS 3.

10/10

Bring on what Kojima does next.

dalin80

Banned
70,000 db in ammo and 20 mins of faffing around and iam supposed to guess that iam supposed to do something that has never come up as a game mechanic before?

Game has just gone back in its case, il finish it next week if i can be arsed.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
if you dont like the cutscenes press start, and select skip...

----man how do i black out my text i need to ask a question? finished the boss in act 2 good but then at the end, in the leaving and shit....i had to use like 5 rations, i mean i was about to throw my dualshock 3 to the wall but i remembered it was expensive, so now i start act 3...with only 2 rations...WTF? man i was so mad, is there lots of rations in act 3 to find before the bigger fights? i mean i might have to redo the end of act 2......damn it!!!!!

SleazyC

-Rogue5- said:
Whoa whoa, how do you get stealth camo and the bandana?
Stealth - Either buy it from Drebin in your new game+ for 5 million DP or beat the game with no alerts on any difficulty

Bandanna - Same as above from Drebin or beat the game without killing anyone, including bosses

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Snake Eater is still probably my favorite vocal/non-ending theme from the series. It's just too perfect. Change the words and it's a 60s era Bond theme. Plus, it's used so perfectly in the game.

I definitely like that it big spoiler:
appears in the final boss theme against Ocelot

$h@d0w

Orlics said:
That's pretty neat. I have a question for you as well, when you play MGO, what servers do you see? UK servers or Asia servers?

I see UK / European servers, already put 5 hours into MGO.

My connection seems much more stable than the beta. I used to disconnect every other round, in the retail I've already played a few hours without a single disconnect.

Remy

Truant said:
You have to suck Kojima's dick in this thread. It will unlock after you swallow.

gtfo.gif

-Rogue5-

SleazyC said:
Stealth - Either buy it from Drebin in your new game+ for 5 million DP or beat the game with no alerts on any difficulty

Bandanna - Same as above from Drebin or beat the game without killing anyone, including bosses

Thanks....
No alerts? Does that include the Frog Unit fight of Act1? That'd be harder than 5million DP. I think I'm at 280,000 after my first playthrough.

SleazyC

-Rogue5- said:
Thanks....
No alerts? Does that include the Frog Unit fight of Act1? That'd be harder than 5million DP. I think I'm at 280,000 after my first playthrough.
Yes though the Caution phase you start at doesn't count as an Alert. It's actually kinda easy if you just hide under the bed in the room you start off at and tranq them when they pass by the doorway.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm in the middle of act 2 and right now I like the game but I don't love it yet. I want to see more action set pieces like the final act of MGS3 (from the Volgin fight onwards). Please tell me there's stuff like that in the game.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
only bad part about the game is that i'm not getting any sleep or rest, regardless of what the game tells me to do, lol

after i beat laughing octopus i was stacked, well for me, with lots of ammo and 7 rations, then i do good thru the tracking part and then finally get to the end where the damn gecko are in the city...i stupidly tried shooting a few of them and then i kept on getting knocked back by that last one, i was like damn it kojima! but at the same time having the time of my gamer's life, and i'm 27...LOL, so i was left with only 2 rations, and now i'm at the beginning of act 3....should i go back and redo the end of act 2, i forgot theres no autosave so i'll have to redo the end of the tracking part but it was fun i dont really mind...what should i do? is there plenty of rations/noodles etc in act 3? i mean the streets look like it's hard to sneak around and idk what's gonna happen once i meet up with the resistance. and can you eventually buy rations/health items from drebin?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
MercuryLS said:
I'm in the middle of act 2 and right now I like the game but I don't love it yet. I want to see more action set pieces like the final act of MGS3 (from the Volgin fight onwards). Please tell me there's stuff like that in the game.
Wait till the middle of Act
3 :lol

Yasser

Lakitu said:
This game imo is the ultimate MGS, it ties up everything.

I wonder what MGS 5s story will be? I mean it certainly won't be another clone, Snake, Meryl, Raiden, or any other character we know. Maybe a prequel? I can't see there being a sequel, now there's no Patriots and Snake etc.

i'm worried about where raiden's new arms came from.... otherwise i would love to a game with the boss as the main character

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I'd hate to see how hard these Boss Battles are on Big Boss Difficulty. I'm on Normal and it feels like every shot I take only takes off such a neglible amount of health.

I'm on the 2nd Boss battle now and its very tedious ;_;

Banned
Perhaps a stupid question, but do the enemies just keep respawning no matter what in some areas? I'm pretty near the start of Act 1 I think — a couple of sections past meeting
Drebin
for the first time.

It's the point where
you're heading forward with the Militia, and near the end of it, a helicopter comes along.

I've taken everyone out there on the ground, the balconies, the rooftops and the helicopter itself without getting an alert, but more and more just keep coming and every so often I hear Liquid saying that I'm doing this because I love killing.

Is that supposed to happen? I thought you would be able to kill everyone in the sections with the Militia — I have been able to so far. Even earlier in that area there's a bit where you can help them out and they cheer when you kill all the PMCs.

I really wish they had capped the game to 30fps, it's very jarring when it's jumping from 30 to 60 and down to 15/20 all the time.

Oh, and I hate the aiming. Turning up the sensitivity seems to increase acceleration rather than the actual speed, which means 6/7 is about as high as I can go while being consistently accurate. It's way too damn slow though.

You didn't really think I would avoid buying the game because of the technical issues, did you?

MercuryLS

Banned
andrewfee said:
Perhaps a stupid question, but do the enemies just keep respawning no matter what in some areas? I'm pretty near the start of Act 1 I think — a couple of sections past meeting
Drebin
for the first time.

It's the point where
you're heading forward with the Militia, and near the end of it, a helicopter comes along.

I've taken everyone out there on the ground, the balconies, the rooftops and the helicopter itself without getting an alert, but more and more just keep coming and every so often I hear Liquid saying that I'm doing this because I love killing.

Is that supposed to happen? I thought you would be able to kill everyone in the sections with the Militia — I have been able to so far. Even earlier in that area there's a bit where you can help them out and they cheer when you kill all the PMCs.

I really wish they had capped the game to 30fps, it's very jarring when it's jumping from 30 to 60 and down to 15/20 all the time.

Oh, and I hate the aiming. Turning up the sensitivity seems to increase acceleration rather than the actual speed, which means 6/7 is about as high as I can go while being consistently accurate. It's way too damn slow though.

You didn't really think I would avoid buying the game because of the technical issues, did you?

That's my only beef with the game, the framerate fluctuates a lot. Not something I expected from KP :/

AndresON777

shooting blanks
i started off act 3 with only 2 rations? is that enough? are there plenty of opportunities to find more before shit gets hard again? i'm playing on solid normal as well and yeah it's hard.

Banned
Oh, another thing — I really wish it remembered whether you were using first/third person on a per-weapon basis rather than a global setting, and that you could adjust the zoom of your scope before you're actually looking through it.

It's very annoying to constantly have to switch to first person with a scoped gun, back to third when switching to an assault rifle, back to first with pistols etc. Also annoying when your scope was at 10x last and you have to zoom in then out to 3x which can be disorienting.

Barrett2

darkressurection said:
FUCK! I didn't know that you had to load your file from the end of the game to get New Game+ now all my stuff is gone.

Dude... that sucks.

Anyways; I just beat
Crying Wolf
. Act 4 is freaking amazing!!

NewLib

Banned
bigben85 said:
What I got from your post is that they are both great games, but you prefer MGS3.
I think it is reasonable for some to like 3 and 1 and not 2 and 4 for the simple fact that 1 and 3 are like a linear personal adventure. 2 and 4 are less linear, and much more complex with many characters shaping the story.

Yeah to the first part, they both are great games. But the second part, I dont know if its necessarily complexity. Its more the story tries to do too much. Its like this. Kojima sat down and said this is how I want it to end. He had a list of like 100 things. Then he set up to accomplish 100 different story goals even though some contradict and some just dont make sense with the flow of the story.

Cloudy

Banned
Crap, I don't wanna rush through MGS3 but I wanna plsy MGS4 (finally something to play on ps3!). What whould I do? Will finishing MGS4 before MGS3 ruin the story for me?

Shouta

BlueTsunami said:
I'd hate to see how hard these Boss Battles are on Big Boss Difficulty. I'm on Normal and it feels like every shot I take only takes off such a neglible amount of health.

I'm on the 2nd Boss battle now and its very tedious ;_;

I tranq-d the bosses on my first run through the game on Hard. Took too long with just the Tranq pistol on the first two. So evil. :lol

$h@d0w

darkressurection said:
FUCK! I didn't know that you had to load your file from the end of the game to get New Game+ now all my stuff is gone.

Isn't there a message at the end that says you need to get to the airship again to retrieve your items? Also, I think if you listen to MGS integral podcast on the in game ipod they say you have all your items - or was it drebin points?

neoism

What happens if two people on one console that have two different PSN accounts,play MGS4. I'm on chapter 5 right now right at the beginning getting ready to install it. If my cousin starts his game, sense he has to install act 1. When I start playing act 5 will I have to reinstall it everytime,and vise versa? Will this also mess our saves up?

Xtyle

NewLib said:
Yeah to the first part, they both are great games. But the second part, I dont know if its necessarily complexity. Its more the story tries to do too much. Its like this. Kojima sat down and said this is how I want it to end. He had a list of like 100 things. Then he set up to accomplish 100 different story goals even though some contradict and some just dont make sense with the flow of the story.

I can understand what you are saying. And you are probably right that it might have just happened like that. I still enjoyed it much more than 2 though (probably because 2 never explained certain things). To me, 3 had the best personal journey type of story. 4 is the most emotional. I think my least favorite is 2.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Shouta said:
I tranq-d the bosses on my first run through the game on Hard. Took too long. So evil. :lol

Do all the bosses have 2 transformations? I tried to kill the first one regularly since Tranq'ing her was taking too long but was happy to see that all it did was remove her outter gear (I then proceeded to Tranq her). I'm not too sure about this second boss though.

Kaytwo

Act 5 Spoilers + Help Needed:-

I'm on the Screaming Mantis fight and so I use the syringe on Meryl then myself. Then I shoot one of the puppets and she goes beserk following me around - I can't get a clear shot at the other puppet? What's the strategy for this? How do I beat her?

comrade

Kaytwo said:
Act 5 Spoilers + Help Needed:-

I'm on the Screaming Mantis fight and so I use the syringe on Meryl then myself. Then I shoot one of the puppets and she goes beserk following me around - I can't get a clear shot at the other puppet? What's the strategy for this? How do I beat her?
Shoot the psycho mantis doll in her right hand (your left) until she drops it. Then go pick it up and go psi ops on her ass with it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom