• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cartman86

Banned
Cloudy said:
Crap, I don't wanna rush through MGS3 but I wanna plsy MGS4 (finally something to play on ps3!). What whould I do? Will finishing MGS4 before MGS3 ruin the story for me?

Yes it will. In fact in my opinion the MGS4 story will have less impact if you havn't completed all the previous games. I was able to look past some of the inconsistancies or far out there ideas just because of how much I loved how much they characterized every character.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Just finished Act One. The cutscenes are really incredible. And it's a good thing too given how long some of them are :p

Are they all realtime? Some of the character modelling and incidental detail modelling is pretty outrageous.

Forsete

gofreak said:
Are they all realtime? Some of the character modelling and incidental detail modelling is pretty outrageous.

I have seen 1-2 that werent real time and it was pretty easy to tell due to the compression (pixles and colour-banding).

Dartastic

Iron_Scimitar said:
I fought my way thru. M4 +
Railgun

Me too. It was NOT easy. I got discovered once and I was like, "crap..." I then resorted to my old MGS tactic of running the hell to the next area. It was especially difficult with that dumb door taking so long to open at the end. =p

Guled

Did they explain what happened to Radian (why he is in a suit)?
Also, why dose snake have strings when he dies its like he is being controlled by mantis
? And lastly, can you keep the suit snake wears in act 3?

So, there's only one thing about the game's story I didn't really get.
Can someone explain Johnny to me? I got that he was on Shadow Moses, and that he was a guard- the one that got stripped, but for how important he turned out to the overall plot, I just don't feel like I really know him as well as I should. Did I miss something? Or have I forgotten something?

Beat it this morning...

MGS4.jpg

MGS3 is still the best.

Narag

Act 5 spoiler:

The changing healthbars depending on the era during fight with liquid was just straight delicious fanservice

SlaughterX said:
MGS3 is still the best.
Finishing it now and I agree with that sentiment.

Won

So I'm in the middle of act 4 now I think and ....where is the game? All the cool stuff started to kick in in act 2 and is gone since the first boss fight. Will it come back? I'm starting to get way too bored at the moment.

traveler

Not Wario
Won said:
So I'm in the middle of act 4 now I think and ....where is the game? All the cool stuff started to kick in in act 2 and is gone since the first boss fight. Will it come back? I'm starting to get way too bored at the moment.

Act 4 was easily the worst part of the game for me. Just make it through and you'll enjoy Act 5. (The end of Act 4 has some cool fanservice as well, if you're into that sorta thing)

Edit: Why the fuck wasn't that spoiler tagged Guled? :(

kevm3

MGS 4 is easily the best of the series to me. I love how they finish the game.
The fact that you don't have a 'major boss battle' to finish off the game is refreshing. I expected "Liquid" to magically pop up in some sort of metal gear that I would have to destroy on foot. The fact that he doesn't try to stop you shutting down the AI is great... it's refreshing not to have the guy try to stop you because 'he's a bad guy.' The hand to hand fight at the end was my favorite part... especially when the MGS 3 snake eater theme started playing. Amazing experience.

DrBo42

Anyone else been caught because the AI pathing is complete shit? I was hiding behind a box in the dark at 99% camo and some guard accidentally backs right into me while trying to continue down the hall. Such bullshit.

McBacon

SHOOTY McRAD DICK
Won said:

Sorry, it won't come back. You won't be fighting anymore normal human enemies; stealth turns to running, infrequent gunfights turn to all out wars. Acts 3, 4 and 5 are an eclectic cluster of incredible moments, tied with either monotonous action or pure solitude (broken by Otacon's rambiling in your ear, unfortunately).

J2d

Won said:
No, there's a great section in the last act but it's like four minutes and then the game is basically over.
Narag said:
Finishing it now and I agree with that sentiment.
+1, just clean up the graphics and I'll pick it up again.

Narag

chaoticprout said:
Ugh, how can you guys like MGS3 more than 4? I think it's rediculous.

A more cohesive plot that could stand on its own. Bosses were better realized and the Boss was a better character than most anyone in MGS4. 4 has a lot of delicious fanservice but its a bit heavyhanded with how the story is presented.

chaoticprout said:
Ugh, how can you guys like MGS3 more than 4? I think it's rediculous.

The story in MGS3 just seems more real because it's based around so many true events. The later stories seem too sci-fi to me, but I guess that's what happens when you take things to the future. MGS3's story about The Boss was just more touching. In MGS4 you're beat over the head with the fact that Snake is old.

J2d said:
No, there's a great section in the last act but it's like four minutes and then the game is basically over.

+1, just clean up the graphics and I'll pick it up again.

Speaking of graphics, I wonder what the next game to use this engine will be. I know this is supposed to be the last real MG, but it would be a waste to spend so much money developing the graphic engine for this game only to be used once. I suppose Kojima's next project will use it, but I think it owuld be nice to see another remake of MGS using this engine, the game's not that big and it seems like they got most of it out of the way already... Maybe they could jsut add it as DLC or something?

cresto

SlaughterX said:
Beat it this morning...

MGS4.jpg

MGS3 is still the best.
It only took 14 hours? Wow that is pretty low for a game of this caliber.... I was seriously thinking about diving into the dual console ownership, but it doesn't seem like MGS4 is really worth it all. Still want to play the game, though.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Ah, man. Someone knows a shop in the US that ships the Metal Gear Solid 4 Bluetooth Headset to Europe? I've found it in some UK shops but they are way to expensive.

traveler

Not Wario
You're going to base your purchase of the game on length? :/

Edit: And guled and rik have still yet to tag their endgame spoiling posts. :(

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
SlaughterX said:
Speaking of graphics, I wonder what the next game to use this engine will be. I know this is supposed to be the last real MG, but it would be a waste to spend so much money developing the graphic engine for this game only to be used once. I suppose Kojima's next project will use it, but I think it owuld be nice to see another remake of MGS using this engine, the game's not that big and it seems like they got most of it out of the way already... Maybe they could jsut add it as DLC or something?

I thought about this last night but I remembered they'd have to totally redo the cutscenes. Lots of animation and so on.

ergo said:
It only took 14 hours? Wow that is pretty low for a game of this caliber.... I was seriously thinking about diving into the dual console ownership, but it doesn't seem like MGS4 is really worth it all. Still want to play the game, though.

It took me 22, and the game has extremely high replay value. I'm playing it again on a harder difficulty going for a no-kill/no-alert run, and the experience is totally different.

The game rewards experimentation and curiousity. That guy rushed through it, but you don't have to.

Banned
What the fuck. If you have night vision on, cutscenes are all in night vision and you can't turn it off? What a stupid idea.

I do like how you can shake the controller to get rid of whatever camo you've picked up in them though.

SlaughterX said:
The reason this game looks good is the art, not the engine.

lol lucky me. I e-mailed gamestop.com about my MGS4 I pre-ordered. I did not receive it on June 12 and I still don't have it I got a reply back:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for contacting GameStop.com.

Based on the amount of time that has passed, it appears that your order
has been lost in transit. We apologize for any inconvenience this may
have caused. We will be happy to assist with a replacement or a refund
per your preference. Please let us know which method you wish to pursue.
A refund in shipping has been provided as the order was not delivered on
the street date.

Best Regards,
Valerie
Customer Service Agent

:( :( Do not cry for me brothers as I will get a copy of MGS4 some how lol

traveler

Not Wario
Guled said:
Did they explain what happened to Radian (why he is in a suit)?
Also, why dose snake have strings when he dies its like he is being controlled by mantis
? And lastly, can you keep the suit snake wears in act 3?

This is the post that I was referring to tagged, Guled.

ergo said:
Plenty of other games on PS3 that are/will be worth owning one. I just got MGS4 for $40. That's gotta be worth 15 hours worth of gameplay and story.

ergo said:

The replay value is HIGH on this one...You have the feeling of wanting to play it over and over again. And that's not even mentioning anything about MGO!!!

cresto

Dark Octave said:
Plenty of other games on PS3 that are/will be worth owning one. I just got MGS4 for $40. That's gotta be worth 15 hours worth of gameplay and story.
Don't get my wrong, I REALLY want to play this game, even though I haven't played a metal gear game, ever. I just don't think I can justify owning a $500 system just for MGS. I am sure I will do something stupid and blow the money on it anyway. Oh well, lol. :lol

So I was in the middle of
the mantis fight
when I decided to save. Before the save screen popped up after clicking 'save' nothing happened and stuff. The music kept on going but that's it. Then I went to quit and that locked up too. I shut off the system and MGS4 doesn't show up on the XMB. Then I finally get it to show up after ejecting and putting the disc back in. I start the game up and it just goes back to the XMB. I do it again and it just comes back to the XMB again and gives me an Error 80010514.

Tried Uncharted too and that wasn't looking good either and I'm too afraid to try anything else....based on a Google search of the error code this is NOT looking good.

Help me, Jesus!!! This can't be happening! I was so close!! :'(

I beat it not too long ago.

I finished at 22:23 (That's 22-hours and 23-minutes.)

Fucking mind-blowing game. This is my second favorite game of all time (Vagrant Story being the first.)

dabookerman said:
Anyone attempting Big Boss Ranking yet?
Whoever does, please videotape it. That way I can try to mimic it exactly! I have terrible timing. "Okay get up and run now!"

"I think I saw something"
"I hear footsteps"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom