• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roxas

HOLY FUCK at the end of Act 4

Raiden :( , there i was thinking it would be awesome to see him take the lead in the next MGS game and then boom

MattNY

dabookerman said:
Anyone attempting Big Boss Ranking yet?

We're not all freaks like you. :D

Seriously though, it has been interesting following your runs. Hope to see you continue them.

I just finished Act 1. It certainly is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever seen. I am taking my sweet time and letting it slowly unfold before me, much like I will with a much anticipated book. I would say this is probably the first time since MGS1 that I have been this blown away by a game.

MoeB

SlaughterX said:
Beat it this morning...

MGS4.jpg

MGS3 is still the best.
How was the easy mode? Mr. Inchworm? :p

DrBo42

Boss fight questions:

How did you guys tackle Screaming Raven and Crying Wolf? I found them completely annoying rather than clever and fun. Perhaps I just didn't understand their patterns well enough.

zam

End of game:
ok so the Big Boss who showed up was rebuilt by Eva with parts from the Solidus clone? And the body Liquid threw in the fire was a Solidus clone as well? But wasn't Solidus killed in MGS2? How many Solidus clones are there? :S

MoeB said:
How was the easy mode? Mr. Inchworm? :p
It says "Solid Normal" in the top right of that pic :p

MattNY

U K Narayan said:
I beat it not too long ago.

I finished at 22:23 (That's 22-hours and 23-minutes.)

Fucking mind-blowing game. This is my second favorite game of all time (Vagrant Story being the first.)

Congrads.

A bit off topic for a second as you mentioned a game I have some interest in. Is Vagrant Story hold up well enough to play today? Or, like most PSOne games, is it a bit difficult to go back to? I have no qualms going back to SNES, but those PSOne graphics are hard to swallow at times.

traveler

Not Wario
DrBo42 said:
Boss fight questions:

How did you guys tackle Screaming Raven and Crying Wolf? I found them completely annoying rather than clever and fun. Perhaps I just didn't understand their patterns well enough.

I didn't find them to be annoying OR fun, really. I just nuked em both with my strongest guns.
According to the codec calls, you're supposed to stay downwind or something from Wolf, but I found even thinking about doing that to be unnecessary when I could just RPG her every time she showed up.

Narag

DrBo42 said:
Boss fight questions:

I fought both from cover. Silenced M4 for wear down Raven and used camo to hide from Crying Wolf. NV Solid Eye extended your field of view enough you could see her out of her armor then you could attack from a range.

Roxas said:
HOLY FUCK at the end of Act 4

Raiden :( , there i was thinking it would be awesome to see him take the lead in the next MGS game and then boom
Heh.

Also I'm pretty sure the next game is going to be about
Raiden's previous actions. (Saving Sunny and Helping EVA.)

JPBrowncoat said:
Whoever does, please videotape it. That way I can try to mimic it exactly! I have terrible timing. "Okay get up and run now!"

"I think I saw something"
"I hear footsteps"
Im gonna need to do that same.. im not that hardcore unfortunatly

FrankT

ergo said:
It only took 14 hours? Wow that is pretty low for a game of this caliber.... I was seriously thinking about diving into the dual console ownership, but it doesn't seem like MGS4 is really worth it all. Still want to play the game, though.

Well I'm probably on 15 hours already and I'm at somewhere in chapter 3.

Narag

U K Narayan said:
Heh.

Also I'm pretty sure the next game is going to be about
Raiden's previous actions. (Saving Sunny and Helping EVA.)

I was hoping he was going to take the lead in the Shadow Moses stage while Snake recovered to finally put that VR training to the real test but yeah, Snake's game and all of that. I wouldn't have traded the codec flashbacks for what I mentioned.

MattNY said:
Congrads.

A bit off topic for a second as you mentioned a game I have some interest in. Is Vagrant Story hold up well enough to play today? Or, like most PSOne games, is it a bit difficult to go back to? I have no qualms going back to SNES, but those PSOne graphics are hard to swallow at times.
Vagrant Story is still amazing. I still play it, today.

Also, anyone pretty surprised that you only get
TWO PERMANENT CODEC CONTACTS?!

MattNY said:
We're not all freaks like you. :D

Seriously though, it has been interesting following your runs. Hope to see you continue them.

I just finished Act 1. It certainly is one of the most amazing gaming experiences I have ever seen. I am taking my sweet time and letting it slowly unfold before me, much like I will with a much anticipated book. I would say this is probably the first time since MGS1 that I have been this blown away by a game.

Haha, yeah. Unfortunatly the last one will be my last for 2 weeks. Going abroad.. shame really.

SleazyC

MattNY said:
If you have a PSP with custom firmware try playing them on that. The LCD is small enough that many games look very good and its certainly an experience being able to take a ton of great PS1 games with you wherever you go.

Pojo

Banned
Man, why couldn't they use Liquid's voice actor for Ocelot?

I'm pretty sure they gave a reason before...? Some of the lines would be so much better if delivered with that thick accent. :p

zombi

I dont know why hours of gameplay are being used as a benchmark for potential ownership, get over it the game ends at a certain point. I fucking loved my 16 hour experience, regardless of price. The only problem I have is that my ideas for the story were totally wrong, maybe expectations were. If youre out there thinking maybe this game isnt worth picking up you are reading nit-picks as game-destroying traits and your keeping yourself from a really great experience.

In a few months, I will Marathon every single metal gear game.

MG1 - MG2:SS - MGS - MGS2 - MGS3 - MGSPO - MGS4

That will be an awesome month. Will do it with my gf.. show her why this is the greatest gaming series ever

zombi

Pojo said:
Man, why couldn't they use Liquid's voice actor for Ocelot?

I'm pretty sure they gave a reason before...? Some of the lines would be so much better if delivered with that thick accent. :p
That gets answered later on...

MrDaravon

Is the beginning gameplay sequence of Act 5 supposed to be the most frustrating thing I've ever done, or what? I've been completely sailling through the game up until this point, and this has me literally screaming in frustration. I actually had to stop playing, I gave myself a headache. What the fucking hell.

a battle spoiler ->
I just beat the FROGS at about 1 1/2 hours into the game and it was so fucking awesome. The way they leapt from side to side on the roof beams was so crazy. Johnny is hilarious, I couldn't stop laughing when he bends down to take a shit in the middle of the FROGS battle and everyones yelling at him.

I know by reading some of the comments here that if this battle impressed me that much, then my face is about to melt with what's to come.

Dave1988

dabookerman said:
Anyone attempting Big Boss Ranking yet?

I'm almost halfway through chapter 2 and my clock's at 1:40 *grumble*

Honestly, this challenge seems nigh impossible to me. Not only do you have to be super fast but you also have to stock up on tranquilizer ammunition to be able to tranq kill the B&B members ( and Drebin doesn't sell it -__-). THIS IS FUCKING RETARDED :mad:

ergo said:
It only took 14 hours? Wow that is pretty low for a game of this caliber.... I was seriously thinking about diving into the dual console ownership, but it doesn't seem like MGS4 is really worth it all. Still want to play the game, though.

I think it's about as long as most other MG games, about half of that time was probably spent in cutscenes though... :p

Also what don't see how I could have rushed my way through it, I mean half of the time was spent crawling around on the ground like an "inch worm" I think... Actually I probably got that rank because I save often, who knows?

I don't think the replay value is as high as most people claim, only the hard core are really going to play through it multiple times. For what it counts, there is always MGO. I never cared for it, but now that I am more familiar witht he controls I'll probably give it another shot, they sure don't make it easy adding friends though... :(

SailorDaravon said:
Is the beginning gameplay sequence of Act 5 supposed to be the most frustrating thing I've ever done, or what? I've been completely sailling through the game up until this point, and this has me literally screaming in frustration. I actually had to stop playing, I gave myself a headache. What the fucking hell.

At the begining go all the way to the right, keep an eye out for holes to crawl through and you can slide to the side of certain objects too. Also watch the roof, those are the people that always seem to spot you and keep your alert on. It was giving me a lot of trouble too until I realized all of these things.

SlaughterX said:
I think it's about as long as most other MG games, about half of that time was probably spent in cutscenes though... :p

Also what don't see how I could have rushed my way through it, I mean half of the time was spent crawling around on the ground like an "inch worm" I think... Actually I probably got that rank because I save often, who knows?

I don't think the replay value is as high as most people claim, only the hard core are really going to play through it multiple times. For what it counts, there is always MGO. I never cared for it, but now that I am more familiar witht he controls I'll probably give it another shot, they sure don't make it easy adding friends though... :(

I think that the game is at least worth playing through two times. I'm going to go in guns blazing my first time through and take a more stealthy approach my second time through. That's not even mentioning the fact that players can beat the game by using different types of weapons.

You know, if there's one thing I have to nitpick about this game - it's that
Natstasha isn't in this. I mean, what the fuck? She founded Philanthropy, after all. Maybe she'll show up in the other games.

traveler

Not Wario
SailorDaravon said:

Just kill them. I decided I wasn't even going to try to be stealthy and slaughtered the whole lot of them no problem.

tha_con

Banned
There has to be a trick to beat Vamp...wtf gives? He won't pass out, I could have put down a legion of Elephants with this many tranqs :lol

Act 4 spoilers:

Fucking hell, I had the hardest time with Vamp and the gekos. Had to do the damn thing a million times before I just checked on gamefaqs. D: And Raiden.... :( Almost cried there.

And goddamn are the boss fights visceral! Best ones in the series to me.

The easiest difficulty in MGS3 was one of my favorite easy modes ever. It gave you the EZ Gun, an infinite ammo tranq pistol that when equipped gave you a permanent 85% camo rating even while moving and also made your stamina and health recharge quickly, so you never really had to eat.

Is there anything like that on MGS4's lowest difficulty?

traveler

Not Wario
bloody pirate said:
ok so i'm at the second boss... got scared and turned it off before actually fighting her.... any tips? can i put her to sleep?

Just nuke the hell out of her. No tricks that I have found. (Besides the obvious "dodge the bombs" bit)

____

tha_con said:
There has to be a trick to beat Vamp...wtf gives? He won't pass out, I could have put down a legion of Elephants with this many tranqs :lol

you really want to know?

CQC him, and use the syringe snake uses to deactivate his nanomachine activity

It took me about 10 headshots to figure it out.

____ said:
you really want to know?

CQC him, and use the syringe snake uses to deactivate his nanomachine activity

It took me about 10 headshots to figure it out.
You know, I think it's kind of funny that this took a lot of people awhile to figure this out.

I found out
pretty much immediately, when he revived for the first time. I thought: "Wait. That syringe neutralizes the effects of nanomachines! CQC? THIS MOTHERFUCKER IS GOING DOWN!
:lol

Also, I'm really happy that: (DON'T READ THIS UNLESS YOU BEAT THE DAMN GAME!)
Snake doesn't die.

TomO

SailorDaravon said:
I felt the same. I had to stop for a few hours as I was contemplating giving up completely.
After some guys on here suggested stealth was the way to go I just equipped my tranq gun and took em all out, snuck behind the gekkos and opened the door. First time.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Hrm, finished act 1 on extreme. Searched every single spot and held up a bunch of guards, but didn't find any new weapons. Wonder what weapons I'm missing.

Barakov

Just finished it. Fantastic game. Certain people will have issues with this or that but as a total package it's one of the best games of this gen. I felt that the game kinda faltered a bit in acts 4 and 5 but not so much that it ruined my enjoyment of it. I was a bit disappointed because of the wasted potential that was there. Controls on the whole are much improved. They're still not totally ideal because you have to press multiple buttons to shoot for instance. I'm still not sure how I feel about CQC. Honestly, it'd be nice to switch from shooting mode, CQC mode and stealth mode. Then again that might make the control issue even worse. :/ The controls just take some getting used to I guess.

I thought the ending was well done. It gave a nice send off for all the principal characters.
Although it was bit disappointing that the final battle between Snake and Liquid seemed like more of a highly interactive cut-scene than a actual fight. It was also pretty rough watching Snake crawl through that corridor towards where they had to install FOXALIVE. The explanation that Big Boss gave about the patriots and such made sense but I was expecting something more interesting given how crazy MGS's story is. If/When MGS 5 comes around I hope they deal with Snake's death in some way, shape or form.

Definitely has it's issues but for most people with a PS3 it's a no brainer for people to pick this up.

Tom Penny

I think half the people playing are just rushing through it. Fourteen hours to beat it is rushing and not even checking out alternate routes or doing anything.

Has anyone beat wolf with no kills? As i was fighting her, tearing apart the frogs, i was seriously wondering how the hell i could do this on extreme with just tranqualizers. same with mantis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom