• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Bebpo said:
-The story

MGS3 is a good game, but it most certainly does not trump the rest of the series in story. The plot of MGS3 was one of the more boring game narratives of I've ever experienced and a huge disappointment for an MGS game.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Justin Dailey said:
No one answered my questions and they're all but lost now:

1. Can you peak left/right in FPS mode in MGS4 like you could in MGS2/MGS3?

2. Can you lock the game to FPS mode?

I don't think ouc an lock the game in FPS view but if you want to peak left and right, use the D-Pad (presing left and right) to shift accordingly

Malik

Banned
Doc Holliday said:
Little things?? as in gameplay? I beat this game in 2 days with a fulltime job...wtf?

Allright im done, what was there was pretty cool...just wanted more.

on easy?

the games long, you beat it in 2 days, SO what? any game can be beaten in that time frame..lol, besides RPG's and those types of games.

MGS4 told the whole story and finished the snake saga, what you possible want more from it? LOL

you simply played a lot off it. simple.

Now try collecting all the easter eggs, beating it with NO alerts. try beating it with young snakes camo, etc. A lot to do.

jmd494

Blader5489 said:
MGS3 is a good game, but it most certainly does not trump the rest of the series in story. The plot of MGS3 was one of the more boring game narratives of I've ever experienced and a huge disappointment for an MGS game.
MGS3 made me tear up...more than can be said for MGS and MGS2.

Bebpo said:
There's nothing wrong with liking MGS3 better.

I think MGS4 is by FAR the best game this generation and an amazing 10/10 experience, but I think MGS3 is the best game of all time and is still better than MGS4 because:

many excellent lines. All the "I saw space" stuff was <3

Still, MGS4 does a lot of GREAT things that MGS1-3 didn't do, so it's excellent in its own right. But I just prefer the things MGS3 does over the things MGS4 does personally.

I'd definitely go MGS3 >>> MGS4 = MGS1 > Portable Ops >> MGS2. MGS2 gameplay-wise is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> PO, but man Big Boss is just so likable so I really enjoyed PO's story. Big Boss is the best character ever.

I think that MGS3 is a better stand alone game than MGS4. That and the emotional impact of the ending+credits (MGS4 ending was amazing, but it was more 'badass...AWESOME!' than sad or anything) are the two things I would say MGS3 has over MGS4. If you played MGS1, 2 and 3, then MGS4 hits all the right spots.

Two points I would address directly are the humor in MGS4 and the Boss fights. MGS4 was hilarious. Even the gags of Snake losing his psych guage when he gets embarrased was awesome all the way to the end. There were a number of times in the game I laughed hard, but again a lot of that was Kojima knowing what to pull in order to get to the MGS fans. Boss battles in MGS4 were all awesome for me. While there wasn't something as stand out as The End fight, all the bosses were consistantly great. MGS3 had only a handful of amazing boss fights, but the others (Fear, Pain, even the showdown with the Shagohod) were pretty lame. MGS3 had higher highs and lower lows than MGS4 in terms of bosses.

I really hope there are VR missions released for MGS4 that have missions where you play as Big Boss in that era and other things.

Stillmatic

Justin Dailey said:

1: Push left and right on the D-Pad.

2: Not too sure on that, but i don't think so without holding the button.

jmd494

BlueTsunami said:
I don't think ouc an lock the game in FPS view but if you want to peak left and right, use the D-Pad (presing left and right) to shift accordingly
That was obvious...lol...glad I didn't go through the whole game thinking I couldn't do that.

Thanks!

Durante

Bebpo said:
The part where he shows up and is SHOOTING LIGHTNING WITH NO HANDS was seriously the most badass moment of the game for me.
Absolutely. It's like they did a brainstomring session after the gekko and vamp cutscenes on how to make him even more badass. "I've got it! Give him a trenchcoat and let him SHOOT LIGHTNING"

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
With MGS3 right when you thought the game was over it hits you with one of the greatest sequences in gaming...and guess what? Most of it was playable.

In MGS4 it ends just when you think the game is getting started and then it's cutscene after cutscene.

Justin Dailey said:

Left/Right on D-pad (pressure sensetive).

You can set it to auto first person, but it isn't always first person. Basically, when you hold down L1 it goes straight into first person without pressing triangle, but walking around is still third person.

Narag

Justin Dailey said:
MGS3 made me tear up...more than can be said for MGS and MGS2.
Its ultimately an agree to disagree thing but MGS3 felt so much more tragic compared to the other games. At least those could pass as a good ending for the protagonist but MGS3 was just harsh. I liked PO's ending for similar reasons but I'm assuming it was intentional in both cases to help the player identify with Big Boss and understand why he became so disenchanted in the first place.

jmd494

Linkzg said:
Left/Right on D-pad (pressure sensetive).

You can set it to auto first person, but it isn't always first person. Basically, when you hold down L1 it goes straight into first person without pressing triangle, but walking around is still third person.
Hmm...what's that option called? There are so many options! :p

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Bebpo said:
The part where he shows up and is SHOOTING LIGHTNING WITH NO HANDS was seriously the most badass moment of the game for me. Raiden was awesome and I'm glad they didn't kill him off.

At that moment i screamed out MORTAL KOMBAT :lol

Darkpen

Banned
ur hur hur

IMG_1976.jpg

Left to right: Myself, Wario64, Marty Chinn
IMG_1977.jpg

Back row: Wario64, careksims, Marty Chinn, Jimmy Stav, Captain Nemo
Front row: Myself, Auron_Kale
IMG_1978.jpg

Old Snake cosplayer
IMG_1979.jpg

Naked Snake cosplayer
IMG_1981.jpg

A lurker by the name of Tim Grimes
IMG_1982.jpg

This is what I wanted us to do, but I never bothered saying anything in the thread, let alone going out and buying a pack of these just for this occasion o_o
IMG_1983.jpg

A lurker by the name of Andrew C.
IMG_1984.jpg

On the right is Callibretto, with his lurker friend I Gede Mahendra
IMG_1985.jpg

more cosplayers
IMG_1986.jpg

A lurker by the name of Jon Gilliam
IMG_1987.jpg

Top view of the end of the line as of 1:37PM PST (It got much much much longer by the time we started moving)
IMG_1988.jpg

The line sort of bends into the little plaza sitting area place at the corner of the block
IMG_1990.jpg

A lurker by the name of Josh Kulinski
IMG_1991.jpg

The corner of the block
IMG_1992.jpg

The latter half of the line that breaks into the sitting area
IMG_1993.jpg

This is a damn long line
IMG_1994.jpg

Seriously
IMG_1995.jpg

Where the line breaks. Its also the exit that the autograph receivers exited from. They later had cosplayers there posing.
IMG_1996.jpg

The entrance
IMG_1997.jpg

Front of the line (apparently, these guys had been there since a little past midnight)
IMG_1998.jpg

The sign (such a lie, Novery was nowhere in sight at that signing table. He was standing around with the 1up dudes instead D:)
IMG_1999.jpg

humongous line D:
IMG_2001.jpg

TIME PARADOX D:!!!!!
IMG_2002.jpg

Mr. Ryan Payton, secretly hanging outside, caught by random passerbyers to take photos with him D:
IMG_2004.jpg

A lurker by the name of Marcello Jagosh
IMG_2006.jpg

Kaizer is the only name I got out of the guy. He was with Payton, it seemed, and apparently does freelance photography. He says he's posted on GAF maybe 3 times, but he mostly lurks.
IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2009.jpg

Marty's friend/coworker Max(... or is it Matt... I think it was Max) took these. He took two more, but I deleted them on a whim D: (they were near the signing table, but didn't exactly show out very well)
IMG_2019.jpg

My signed box :D :D :D
from the SF thread :D

Doc Holliday said:
With MGS3 right when you thought the game was over it hits you with one of the greatest sequences in gaming...and guess what? Most of it was playable.

In MGS4 it ends just when you think the game is getting started and then it's cutscene after cutscene.

I disagree.

(MGS4 ending spoilers)
MGS4 let you play every fight that Snake was a part of. Even the crawl through the microwave room was being controlled by you. The next time Snake sees action, it is up fighting with Ocelot and the game gives you control of that. There aren't many sequences that are just Snake doing something cool while you sit there really to mash a button for DP. They basically let you do as much as you could in those sequences.

burgerdog

So I beat the game and realized that somewhere in the middle of Act II I turned off vibration on my six-axis as a second controller which in turn turned off the vibration on my DS3. :lol

edit
GAME IS AMAZING!!

rod

Banned
FateBreaker said:
you thought the game was just getting started after you kill Liquid Ocelot?

yeah pretty much. i find it funny that long time fans are actually complaining about too many cutscenes. that go for too long. because they dont get to physically play them. but then complain that there wasnt enough codec calls? really?

i recently replayed mgs3 and the cutscenes are just as plentiful as they where here. mgs3 has a LOT of unneeded codec calls imo though. mgs3 was one of the best games ever, but its not the best game ever. which mgs4 is :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Durante said:
Absolutely. It's like they did a brainstomring session after the gekko and vamp cutscenes on how to make him even more badass. "I've got it! Give him a trenchcoat and let him SHOOT LIGHTNING"
And he will
FEND OFF 40 SOLDIERS WITH HIS MOTHERFUCKING TEETH

Narag

rod said:
yeah pretty much. i find it funny that long time fans are actually complaining about too many cutscenes. that go for too long. because they dont get to physically play them. but then complain that there wasnt enough codec calls? really?

i recently replayed mgs3 and the cutscenes are just as plentiful as they where here. mgs3 has a LOT of unneeded codec calls imo though. mgs3 was one of the best games ever, but its not the best game ever. which mgs4 is :)

To be fair, they're referencing the optional codec calls that tend to go a long way in fleshing out the setting of the MGS they are a part of.

Y2Kev said:
And he will
FEND OFF 40 SOLDIERS WITH HIS MOTHERFUCKING TEETH

not to mention
he had no arms! His choices were his teeth or use one foot while hopping on the other. RAIDEN FUCKING STOPPED ARSENAL GEAR WITH HIS BODY! He is so awesome!

kairu

Linkzg said:
not to mention
he had no arms! His choices were his teeth or use one foot while hopping on the other. RAIDEN FUCKING STOPPED ARSENAL GEAR WITH HIS BODY! He is so awesome!

how did he lose the second arm? stopping arsenal?

Narag

Linkzg said:
not to mention

I thought that was a little excessive. Stopping the ship was cool to watch but just out there by even MGS standards.

Y2Kev

Narag said:
I thought that was a little excessive. Stopping the ship was cool to watch but just out there by even MGS standards.

I'll be honest. Whenever someone describes something as "excessive" about MGS action it's kind of like yeah yeah take a number. Frankly I wished he
picked up the ship with his teeth and twirled it like an ice skater. then, while eating a delicious sub sandwhich with one hand, sang the best is yet to come and threw a touch down pass to bret favre with Haven as the football

kairu

Narag said:

you're right, and naked snake surviving a nuclear blast being about 20 feet away is completely plausible.

jvalioli

Narag said:
Yeah, that was really weird I thought. Especially since all the rocks that pinned him before had to weigh so much less than Arsenal Gear, yet he had to cut off his own arm to escape that.

Y2Kev

jvalioli said:
Yeah, that was really weird I thought. Especially since all the rocks that pinned him before had to weigh so much less than Arsenal Gear, yet he had to cut off his own arm to escape that.
Consider that
Ocelot was never going to actually kill snake.

Narag

Y2Kev said:
I'll be honest. Whenever someone describes something as "excessive" about MGS action it's kind of like yeah yeah take a number. Frankly I wished he
picked up the ship with his teeth and twirled it like an ice skater. then, while eating a delicious sub sandwhich with one hand, sang the best is yet to come and threw a touch down pass to bret favre with Haven as the football

Actually it makes me wish that when he'd put his sword away when him and Vamp threw down then he'd just ripped Vamp's heart ouf of his chest and reminded snake it was time to gtfo of shadow moses

Tiduz

Eurogaime
I was so glad Snakes camo turned back on after the microwave camotearing, holy shit that scarred me for life :lol

Narag

Bebpo said:
I thought he was like 30-50 miles away
He was nowhere near that far but not as close as the above poster insinuated. Wiki says he would've had to been within a quarter mile of the site of detonation to receive a lethal dose of radiation.

Tiduz said:
I was so glad Snakes camo turned back on after the microwave camotearing, holy shit that scarred me for life :lol

Fuck yes. I thought that was his skin being burned white or something.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
FateBreaker said:
you thought the game was just getting started after you kill Liquid Ocelot?

No I thought the game just getting started when I got to

Shadow Moses

I thought that section would be more fleshed out in terms of amount of gameplay.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Sweet Jesus, I just finished Act 4. Un-fucking-believeable. I already have 24 hours logged into the singleplayer, and I think this is the best game of this generation so far, and it's gonna take a lot to top it.

I am so pissed. I ordered my LE copy from gamestop online and UPS say they delivered it but i never got it. I want to call gamestop but their costumer service is closed.
FUCK YOU GAMESTOP
FUCK YOU UPS

Kccitystar

:lol
The original pixelated Solid Snake face camo and the "nightmare" PSX Shadow Moses

To me the entire MGS4 game so far reminds me of a high school reunion with all of the cast returning one way or another in different ways. Best moment in the game for me is when
Raiden returns, gives Snake advice remiscient of "Deepthroat" from MGS, and in future cutscenes you can tell he no longer gave a shit about living anymore

I am still stuck in Act 5 with
these damn FROGS, it's impossible to kill or tranq them all! With Gekkos in the mix! AHHHHH

mackaveli

spoilers about ending and the game in general.

i was just wondering, does liquid ocelot in MGS2 and MGS4 does he refer to snake as brother or snake? and in MGS1 does liquid ever call him snake or always brother?

cause in the final fight, ocelot calls him snake always i believe so that could be a hint he was always ocelot before the big reveal.

Also when he says he was liquid's doppleganger* he was like and you were your father's was also a nice touch i thought showing he was ocelot and not liquid

absolutely love this game.

Narag

mackaveli said:
spoilers about ending and the game in general.

i was just wondering, does liquid ocelot in MGS2 and MGS4 does he refer to snake as brother or snake? and in MGS1 does liquid ever call him snake or always brother?

cause in the final fight, ocelot calls him snake always i believe so that could be a hint he was always ocelot before the big reveal.

Also when he says he was liquid's doppleganger* he was like and you were your father's was also a nice touch i thought showing he was ocelot and not liquid

absolutely love this game.

Interchangeable references in both games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom