• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somnia

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone know how well this game did day one? If you just post the numbers, I may need a definition of good or bad because I don't follow the whole numbers thing. Thanks.

Don't think anything has been released yet.

Guled

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Anyone know how well this game did day one? If you just post the numbers, I may need a definition of good or bad because I don't follow the whole numbers thing. Thanks.
I'm sure it did a million day 1 :D

andrewfee said:
Ridiculously good? I've just finished Act 1 and whenever there's anything complex on-screen it drops to 20fps or lower. When you get indoors it's constantly jumping between 20,30 and 60fps.

The LoD system is really aggressive, with detail popping in/out at only a few feet in front of Snake. It's sub-HD and it shows. The motion blur is very badly done. Bodies/items disappear very quickly. I could go on…

Don't get me wrong—it looks good, but it's all in the art/quality of the models/textures rather than the tech.

Shake it left to right, not up and down.

…That are extremely unreliable and poorly made.

I'm going to have to send mine back in for repair again as the second screen has started screwing up now:
258lzes.jpg

OSX is awesome, but putting up with Apple's hardware just isn't worth it. I've had so many replacement parts/computers it's unbelievable.

Sorry for the OT stuff, just had to rant when I saw that.

What? I don't think I've ever seen the game drop sub-20 fps.

Synless

I spent 20 hours almost straight to beat this game so It wouldn't interfere with my studying this weekend for my finals this Wed...............Absolutely fucking amazing game and a fantastic ending to this story. I don't even know where to start expressing the awesome!!!!!!!!!!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
andrew, I don't know if it's your system but I have not had 1 significant frame drop and I am nearing the end of act 3. Nothing has jarred or made me say "hmmm GAF would notice this". Not that what you're saying isn't true but the game has ran exceptionally smooth almost all the time.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mromson said:
Some sites report 1,3million day one - but their sources aren't worth citing yet.
Territory breakdown? If JPN did 300k in 1 day with 2m PS3's then I would think that the US (at nearly 5m) can at least double that. EUR seems about the same. Although we won't know the full story for a couple of weeks. Hopefully other countries might report on early numbers instead of waiting a couple weeks for solid data.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DarkUSS said:
Eventually, was Ocelot intentially "trained" to act as Liquid in order to fool the System or was Liquid's DNA really turned him into himself?
The LE Guide makes clear that it's
entirely an act. Well, an act augmented by psychotherapy and nanomachine transfer, but it's not ever really Liquid. The motivation and thought process is entirely Ocelot.

Durante

First of all, I'm a bigger graphics whore than you are. My Beyond3D forum join date is May 2002.

andrewfee said:
Ridiculously good? I've just finished Act 1 and whenever there's anything complex on-screen it drops to 20fps or lower.
This is simply not true -- the game does drop below 30 fps at times, but very rarely.

andrewfee said:
The LoD system is really aggressive, with detail popping in/out at only a few feet in front of Snake.
I never once noticed any pop-in during the whole game. Unlike most other current-gen games, including every single one based on UE3 that does streaming. (I also didn't notice bodies disappearing, but that's most likely because I didn't kill much)

andrewfee said:
Don't get me wrong—it looks good, but it's all in the art/quality of the models/textures rather than the tech.
No. This game is in the very rare position to have both. Most comparisons drawn with other games are laughable really -- either they don't come close in the amount of active scene parts at any particular moment, or their lighting/shadowing system is clearly inferior.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Absinthe said:
What? I don't think I've ever seen the game drop sub-20 fps.

Ditto,

Except one time in Act 2 where I kept having to jump back and forth between script points.

The game didn't like that very much.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
Spoiler about liquid discussion

Also remember when he was on his ship and went BANG BANG BANG at all of them? that definately felt like a ocelot moment to me instead of Liquid.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Tiduz said:

Also remember when he was on his ship and went BANG BANG BANG at all of them? that definately felt like a ocelot moment to me instead of Liquid.
the hip gyration :lol

it was like HAHAHAHA MOFUCKAS POW POW POW POW

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Okay, major ending spoiler question here:

I read that Ocelot was never actually possessed by Liquid, it was him just putting on a show. Is this true? And is that why when Ocelot has his arm bare it looks like it's a cyborg arm, not liquid's arm?

Durante said:
No. This game is in the very rare position to have both. Most comparisons drawn with other games are laughable really -- either they don't come close in the amount of active scene parts at any particular moment, or their lighting/shadowing system is clearly inferior.

Actually, this is a game that's looks are almost entirely due to it's art direction. The character models, cloth physics and so on are some of the best out there, for sure - but the environmental lighting, use of shaders and poly count is far below several other lauded titles. This is a masterpiece of art direction and hand-painted textures, it all comes together nicely without excessive use of tech.

Jtrizzy

AndrewFee is predisposed towards having problems with the graphics in this game, let's just leave it at that. Yesterday he was considering not buying the game because of the resolution.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the password thing in the extras?

jvalioli

Big-E said:
Can someone please make a gif of this? It would be so awesome.
BlimBlim is making videos of the games best moments. I'm sure that part will be one of them and if no one has made a gif by the time I see the video, I'll do it.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
About the 2nd Boss Battle

Wow, talk about a Blonde moment. I totally forgot that I actually had the Surface to Air missle launcher. That Boss battle became a breeze after that.

So what bout the 1st Boss Battle? Was it all run and gun or is there a special gun or technique you needed to employ? I noticed Headshots weren't taking off any more life.

Spruchy

Tiduz said:

Wow yeah your totally right about that.

this may be a spoiler, im not sure but it's better to be safe and don't read if you haven't beaten the game. someone please tell me what the hell this means.
what is the significance of those scrambled egg closeup commercials you get once in a while after you load your game, where the girl (sonny?) keeps rambling a bunch of numbers?

Durante said:
Some remarks from my inner graphics whore:
While many recent games that are praised for their graphics pick low-hanging fruit (sci-fi settings, space marines, etc) MGS4 continually picks some of the hardest subjects to render in real-time. Stuff like skin (and its movement, eg. during facial gestures), hair and cloth is portrayed in a manner that is completely above and beyond any other game out there. The only bad thing I can think of is that other games that try to realistically portray human characters in emotional scenes will look amateur and laughable after experiencing MGS4. I'd be very surprised if these aspects (character skin/hair/clothes rendering and animation) would get done similarly well (or better) before FF13.

yeah i think so too. the animations of the faces and cloths were amazing.

and to the one who are bitching about low res textures in some corners of the game, geeze, even crysis had them if you searched long enough >_>

Crayon

I was having multiple nerdgasms at the end of act 4.

I almost want another thread just to spout superlatives about the game. It's like I want to scream it from the mountian tops. This game is something else.

Definity

I finally had a chance to play some today and finished ACT 2. I'm not sure why Kojima just didn't name that Act "Orgasm of Gaming Goodness". Holy Shit. What a ride. :D

Facism

i kind of wish
the game didn't get so diluted in it's gameplay mechanics as it progressed. Act 4 needed soldiers. Not an endless amount of 3-armed exploding testicles. Also, those guys in robotic suits that you take down during the Drebin APC scene in Act 2. Where were they during the rest of the game? Story-wise, why was Raiden a cyborg, but had his skin back at the end? Some cutscenes longer than a Peter North cumshot, too. Felt like MGS2 redux where i was progressing from cutscene to cutscene.

Godly.
The only mark on this experience is I haven't come across the MGS Theme, which is sad. However, I'm still unlocking all 40 ranks and beating the game on The Boss Extreme now with the intent of getting the hardest rank, so it may be an unlockable.

This game is fan service done right. Thank you for giving me the best gaming experience since playing the first MG back when I got around to it in 2000. I will be replaying this game for months...

1stStrike

Banned
did anyone else notice that
the first time raiden fights vamp, about half way through the fight after raiden takes a couple good hits you can hear the low health sound go off? just a small detail.

also,
in chapter 3, when you're following the guy, if you take a detour there's a ladder you can climb up near the park and you can see the 3 robots in the trench coat peaking around the corner. i snapped a picture of em.

oh and lastly,
the thing about the bosses posing after a few minutes is true. i just let em chase me around, then you go to a white room and when you whip out the camera they do some sexy poses. i got some good pics..*drool* you have 4 minutes and then they die. i've been trying to flip them to death to see if it gives a different ending, but i ran out of time by like 2 seconds on the last one. 2 more tries to go.

big spoilers, but i don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

i'm finding a lot of things i missed on my first time through..it's been pretty exciting so far, and i even noticed a few things in cut scenes and stuff that i missed before.

Crayon said:
I almost want another thread just to spout superlatives about the game. It's like I want to scream it from the mountian tops. This game is something else.

It's really true. This game came in with relatively minimal hype and completely over-delivered. The story is epic, like Kill Bill epic, the game is fantastic: filled with fan service and just plain great design. I can't imagine this game last gen - this is truly the first next-gen game. Not just in gameplay, but in story delivery... just the whole package. It really is that good.

I thought saving after a checkpoint your supposed to continue from that spot? Just beat crying wolf which took me awhile, saved after checkpoint, started up my game a couple of hours later and it left me at the checkpoint before the boss fight, WTF!

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Quick question: So I finished the game, and booted up the Mission Briefings to grab some items. Now it's prompting me to save. I can still save over my endgame save and still load it after to start a new game with my items correct?

I'm staring at the save screen here.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ermac said:
Quick question: So I finished the game, and booted up the Mission Briefings to grab some items. Now it's prompting me to save. I can still save over my endgame save and still load it after to start a new game with my items correct?

I'm staring at the save screen here.

I'm not sure about the endgame situation but I did the Mission Briefing for Act 1 and saved while my main game was on Act 3. I then loaded up my main save and was on Act 3 fine (WITH the items I had collected in the Mission Briefing)

I just completed my 2nd playthrough. One of the titles I got this time awarded me with something called the "sun gun?". I will have to see what it is later. Now I'm on to MGO for a while. :D

IMG_0425.jpg

EDIT: Hold on while I fix the image size

I have a Q. I finished the game yesterday, and I started a new file but on Big Boss hard (first time was Solid Snake Normal) and I noticed I do not have my last file items and weapons. Do I get it later, or I don't get it because I went to a higher difficulty?? And how come the game needs another install even though I installed it the first time???

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Act 4 Help:
How the fuck do you beat Vamp? I tried both tranquilizing and killing him, neither work.

Wollan

Labombadog said:
I have a Q. I finished the game yesterday, and I started a new file but on Big Boss hard (first time was Solid Snake Normal) and I noticed I do not have my last file items and weapons. Do I get it later, or I don't get it because I went to a higher difficulty?? And how come the game needs another install even though I installed it the first time???

You get it when you meet up with MK.II.

1stStrike

Banned
Labombadog said:

You must not be very good at paying attention. It told you at the end of the game that you'd get this stuff after you
meet up with the MK II in the new game+

Finished the game today. It was an incredible ride. So many memorable scenes. There was indeed some hackneyed shit within the story but it ultimately didn't matter.

I have to mention that
microwave room scene. The constant button mashing really made me feel Snake's pain and agony in the situation. Very well done.

I do feel that anyone playing this that hasn't at least played MGS or MGS3 would be lost to some extent and also be missing out on all the references. Oh well.

Off to MGO.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Costanza said:
CQC him and inject him with the syringe

Gotta be more detailed than that!

I did grab him, hit triangle, but nothing happened.

EDIT: Ugh, it's in the damn items. Should be in WEAPONS.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
finished it; cut scenes were way too long and could have used some editing. kojima needs to get over himself, not everything deserves such long dialogue.

that said, the core gameplay more than made up for it. I never approached a situation the same way twice. the amount of options available to the player allow you to be very creative. the core gameplay is just great.

kojima, next time hire an editor. the lack of editing is the only thing preventing this game from achieving absolute greatness.

can't wait to play it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom