• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Am I just not finding it or is there no invisible camo for when you beat the game?

Isnt that usually given at the end of every MGS game regardless of rank?

edit: Your ipod songs dont carry over either?? :(

BlueTsunami said:
I'm not on Act 5 yet but you could either shake down enemies by using CQC or knocking them out, lifting them up and them dropping them again. Sometimes they'll drop ammo but some should drop rations.

Thanks, I'll try it.

hirokazu

Thanks everyone who replied so quickly! I agree, lack of support characters you can contact is a big letdown compared to previous games.

(Codec support character)
Is Rose ever even useful? The three times I called her, first time was just after I got her codec, and she said a generic thing about the Psyche meter, and that I might have heard it before etc. Second time my Psyche was empty and she mentioned a few tips, third time it was full and she said the exact same thing as the first time! Seems so useless to me...

Momar

aka Ryder
jvalioli said:
I swear to God this part is impossible without an Alert. I'm trying to do a no Alert run right now and I am afraid I'll never get past that part. Any tips? Is there a specific side that is easier to sneak through?

It definitely took a lot of tries. I absolutely refused to go Rambo, mainly because of how much I hated myself for doing that in 1-3 on my first playthroughs. I kinda felt like it was the perfect stealth mission :D. The first part was pretty easy, keep an eye on the ladders in front of you. You can climb it up, then follow the rails along to get you some distance forward, the Frogs shouldn't spot you up there. When you drop off when you run out of rails, be sure to mash triangle as you fall to catch the rails below you, so you dont make a loud noise when falling. After that, I just hugged the right side behind the boxes/pillars, then tranqed the frogs in the top-right corner. After that, I sneaked up to where their bodies were, then made a mad dash for the door and mashed the traingle button. The end!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Pojo said:
For anyone that can complete a no alert run without losing your sanity, I salute you.

Lots of them have been doing it on Liquid Easy though :D

Doing it on Big Boss Hard is something I don't think I want to attempt.

Also, remember guys, using special items you get from beating the game may null you from getting certain items that you get from certain ranks on the next playthrough. I believe MGS3 did this.

kiryogi

Banned
TONX said:
Wooooow. Not sure if this is a spoiler, but ill tag it anyways. It's from the LE Blu-ray.

Ueda saying that MGS2 Tanker/RAY scene inspired 'Shadow'... of the Colossus?

Don't see how it is. But yeah I thought that was neat. It was pretty awesome how many industry names gave props to the Metal Gear Saga. You had Suda, Ueda, David Jaffe, Cliffy B., Sakurai, Itagaki, and Ray Mukyza. Mark McDonald, and Ngai Croal was there too XD The LE blu-ray was seriously an awesome extra and I'm glad I got it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Oh my fucking god I finally made it. Stealthed all the way through, then got caught, but kept my cool and made it. Jesus.

Smokey

I just completed the game.

Wow.

Just...wow.

An amazing amazing conclusion to one of the best gaming series of all time.

Wow.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
something about the whole series that is funny, we still never play as Solid Snake for a full game after the 1st one. Snake in MGS4 is "Old Snake" and i dont think anyone calls him "Solid Snake."

also, i have to say that the online mode sort of bores me. the main game is leagues better.

reilo

More Act 5 Help:
How the hell do you hurt Screaming Mantis? None of my weapons do her any damage

Darkpen

Banned
reilo said:
More Act 5 Help:
How the hell do you hurt Screaming Mantis? None of my weapons do her any damage
shoot the sorrow, and pick it up. Then equip it and shoot her with it. Everything beyond that is self explanatory

But first, you have to switch the controller ports.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
I can see where some of these battles are kinda hard with the bosses but it's all explained if you talk to Otacon he gives help if you pester him enough. BTW the only tough one was
Raging Raven, her freaking health bar moved way too slow? Anyone know what type of weapon is best for maximum damage?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
tha_con said:
MGS4 makes me appreciate MGS2 so much more. The game absolutely makes Raiden (MGS4) a much better character. The suffering and turmoil he was victim to in MGS2 really shine through in MGS4, and make his tragedy interesting, compelling, and heart felt.

Without Raiden as a main character in MGS2, all of that is lost, and IMO, a large chunk of MGS4's compelling narrative.

i guess you can say some people had suffering and turmoil playing as Raiden through all of MGS2, as well.

reilo

Darkpen said:
shoot the sorrow, and pick it up. Then equip it and shoot her with it. Everything beyond that is self explanatory

But first, you have to switch the controller ports.

Har har on part two.

Equip what exactly?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
BTW
the last fight with Liquid Ocelot has to be now my favorite MGS boss fight, that shit is supremely beyond epic.

reilo

About time.

Took her forever to drop the damn puppet and never saw her do it before and I kept aiming for them

Duderz

Banned
Anyone with questions regarding the ending / general story of the game ought to read the last 10 or so pages of the MGS4 strategy guide. It's seriously helped me understand so much more of what went on in the last two hours of the game.

Oh, and yeah, the Blu-Ray making of it fantastic, easily on par with what Bungie did for Halo 2.

Darkpen

Banned
Farnack said:
So ummm... I can never get the beauties to start crawling. Doesn't seem to work whatever I try on them.
this is a good question, and probably something that needs to be asked in the photo thread

Ashhong

ok guys, i need some help in act 5.

can i not be seen by anybody? it seems like my alert status never goes down, and they always find me even when im 99% hidden. i find it hard to get past them all..

I'm only a couple of hours in but man are the controls unintuitive this day and age and man am I dying a lot more than I have since first trying to figure out how MGS works in MGS1.

Hopefully at some point soon it will click for me.

jvalioli

Ashhong said:
how the fuck do i peek and shoot?! sometimes he does it, sometimes he doesnt. makes it so much harder.
When you're locked on to an object using the triangle button, you use the left stick to go to the edge. After that holding L1 should make Snake peek out.

Ashhong

jvalioli said:
When you're locked on to an object using the triangle button, you use the left stick to go to the edge. After that holding L1 should make Snake peek out.

nope...he just peeks but doesnt aim

Zeke

does anyone know if you get any special items for tranquilizing bosses instead of shooting them like in mgs3? I just finished my first boss fight and used the tranquilizer thro the whole thing.

im surprised people are complaining about the lack of codec...most people hated on this in previous installments....

rightfully so to some degree....more cut scenes are good for me but I couldnt really be bothered with the hours of babble

Barakov

nelsonroyale said:
im surprised people are complaining about the lack of codec...most people hated on this in previous installments....

rightfully so to some degree....more cut scenes are good for me but I couldnt really be bothered with the hours of babble

Probably the people who liked the codec conversations.

nelsonroyale said:

I miss the optional codec. To chat with your support team about Items or the latest story development was always awesome.

BigBoss

Elbrain said:
I can see where some of these battles are kinda hard with the bosses but it's all explained if you talk to Otacon he gives help if you pester him enough. BTW the only tough one was
Raging Raven, her freaking health bar moved way too slow? Anyone know what type of weapon is best for maximum damage?

Theres a surface to air missile launcher you can buy from Drebin, it does a lot of damage.

Ashhong

Zeke said:
does anyone know if you get any special items for tranquilizing bosses instead of shooting them like in mgs3? I just finished my first boss fight and used the tranquilizer thro the whole thing.

yes. although, u only have to
shoot the BB with tranqs when they are in their human form. you get a face camo that looks like them

Zeke

Ashhong said:
yes. although, u only have to
shoot the BB with tranqs when they are in their human form. you get a face camo that looks like them
well crap I wish I would have known that from the get go would have saved me a huge headache altho it made the fight more challenging :lol

Bebpo

Banned
nelsonroyale said:

MGS3 had like 1 hour of mandatory codec and like 5-10 hours of optional ones.

The issue is the optional ones. Those of us who liked all the fun random tidbits go through MGS3 calling every member every 5 mins to hear their latest stories on every development.

Personally I just liked calling cute girls and flirting jokes with them in MGS1/3 (Mei Ling/Paramedic). It broke up the tension and made the game more 'fun'.

I just beat the game.....

out of all the english classes i have taken in high school and in college, for the life of me i cant think of enough words to say how blown away i am....i mean Jesus

from june 12th on, every game that comes out should only be released if kojima productions certifies its quality :D

Smokey

Wow.

If anybody has the LE strategy guide, it goes in depth about the story of all MGS games (including 4) and explains EVERYTHING.

MAJOR SPOILERS only read if you've beat the game

I can't believe how much influence the Patriots had over this entire series. Here we are thinking that Ocelot is the villain, when really he is the 'good guy' who is trying t rid the Patriots of their ways, even though he was one of the founders. So he takes on the persona of Liquid through psychotherapy techniques, hypnotherapy and nanomachines.

I KNEW there had to be more to the story besides that bullshit "Liquid's spirit took over Ocelot's body".

There was never a "Liquid" Ocelot...he simply took on that persona so the Patriots wouldn't be aware of his true intentions(to destroy their entire AI system), which ironically happened at the hands of Solid Snake who himself was actually working for the Patriots...and never knew it.

holy crap

Wow

Dead

well not really...yet
Smokey Bones said:
Wow.

If anybody has the LE strategy guide, it goes in depth about the story of all MGS games (including 4) and explains EVERYTHING.

MAJOR SPOILERS only read if you've beat the game

I can't believe how much influence the Patriots had over this entire series. Here we are thinking that Ocelot is the villain, when really he is the 'good guy' who is trying t rid the Patriots of their ways, even though he was one of the founders. So he takes on the persona of Liquid through psychotherapy techniques, hypnotherapy and nanomachines. There was never a "Liquid" Ocelot...he simply used that as a way to get closer to the Patriots AI to destroy it, which ironically happened at the hands of Solid Snake who himself was actually working for the Patriots...and never knew it.

holy crap

Wow
Yeah, I love how this game actually made some of the more crazy stuff in
MGS2
make more sense.
Liquid "taking over" Ocelot. Vamp being immortal, etc

What really impressed me is just how well all the games stories interconnected and got resolved.

Its as if Kojima had this entire story mapped out ever since Metal Gear Solid 1

Finished the game, one of the best games I ever played. On a technical level maybe the most impressive video game ever created.

I just wished the final act ended with a bit more for you to do, I never felt it reached the high notes of the MGS3 finale (even though many parts earlier in the game did). But the final boss is one of the most eye popping things I have ever seen.

The epilogue kind of went into MGS2 levels of bloatedness, but it was still very good. I love how the enter series came together, best story of all MGS games, my favorite story of any game. Now to replay it over and over. :D

dalin80

Banned
Two questions-

How do you start a new new game+

and

Is there a list anywhere of the known unlockables

Ive just finished the game on normal and the unlockables were
sucky

ta.

jvalioli

dalin80 said:
Two questions-

How do you start a new new game+

and

Is there a list anywhere of the known unlockables

Ive just finished the game on normal and the unlockables were
sucky

ta.
Loading your old save file will prompt you for a difficulty choice and will start you at the beginning.

I've just completed the game.

In my opinion, it perfectly wraps up the best story ever told. Thank you, Kojima, for bringing this to the world. This is the best game ever created.

This is good, isn't it?

Barakov

Pai Pai Master said:
I've just completed the game.

In my opinion, it perfectly wraps up the best story ever told. Thank you, Kojima, for bringing this to the world. This is the best game ever created.

This is good, isn't it?

It's better than good, it's great.
Despite what some people say.

Darkone

Hey

Since its been a while i played the MGS Series, anyone know a good site that tells the story so far from metal gear solid 1 to 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom