• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
To the guys having trouble with beginning of act 5,
do you even use Octocamo at all? Just octocamo + facemask and crawl all the way there, they'll never spot you

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Farnack said:
So ummm... I can never get the beauties to start crawling. Doesn't seem to work whatever I try on them.
You have to crawl under something like a bed.

The criminal underutilization of the codec pisses me off. In MGS3 I'd call all the members constantly in different contexts, and learn all kinds of information and hear some funny dialogues. That's all gone now. I'm glad they've minimized the interruptions, but there was no reason to take away the optional fun.

finished it yesterday, 15 hours it took
im amazed i actually understand the whole story and how the story progresses throughout the whole time line, it's a good feeling though

and yeah, this, is the best game i've ever played (and im not even a big MG fanboy :O )
every other 'next gen' effort looks amateur in comparasin, i dont think that feeling will go for quite a while (here's lookin to Heavy Rain and FFXIII)

i look forward to rereading part of this thread and lookin' at the spoilers =)

Truant

TEH-CJ said:
Finished it

This is by FAR the best fucking game ever made in history of video games. Holy fucking shit. WOWOWOOWOWOWO

SPOILERS:

Really? Really!?

I can't believe how people are saying this. From the terrible last-gen stalking sequence of Act 3, to the lazyness of Act 4, and the Dark Sector-quality bossfights; this game is severly flawed.

Act 1 is the only part of the game that works somewhat as promised; stealth in an open, active battlefield, where you have the ability to pick sides to survive, as well as allowing you to experiment with the gear, mechanics and AI. Act 2 had this in parts, but the level wasn't well enough designed to take advantage of this.

The other acts were simply too linear for this.

Smokey Bones said:
Wow.

If anybody has the LE strategy guide, it goes in depth about the story of all MGS games (including 4) and explains EVERYTHING.

MAJOR SPOILERS only read if you've beat the game

I can't believe how much influence the Patriots had over this entire series. Here we are thinking that Ocelot is the villain, when really he is the 'good guy' who is trying t rid the Patriots of their ways, even though he was one of the founders. So he takes on the persona of Liquid through psychotherapy techniques, hypnotherapy and nanomachines.

I KNEW there had to be more to the story besides that bullshit "Liquid's spirit took over Ocelot's body".

There was never a "Liquid" Ocelot...he simply took on that persona so the Patriots wouldn't be aware of his true intentions(to destroy their entire AI system), which ironically happened at the hands of Solid Snake who himself was actually working for the Patriots...and never knew it.

holy crap

Wow

yeah
i really liked how the revelation at the end basically flipped all of the previous games on their head, in that the enemies you were sent to stop, were actually the 'good guys' all along
i thought it was a pretty damn amazing way to tie things up
makes you wanna replay them all again from the start with the new understnding :D

Without getting into a huge flame war, the story has some problems.

1. The Patriots were really
good guys we've known all along? Really? That's the big reveal huh.

2. But the Patriots were also
dead and who's REALLY been in control is giant AI servers that want world war to keep the economy going.

3. And who started the Patriots
was a dude that's now on life support that has no idea all of this is taking place and never really wanted it to go down this path to begin with. And he never was shown to ever HAVE world domination tendencies to begin with!

4. The BB corps were all rehashes of
other bosses we've fought before. Sniper Wolf, Sorrow, with even a reappearance of Psycho Mantis for no reason at all

5. Raiden. All of Raiden.
So he's a cyborg Ninja now with white blood. but really he's a man with an exoskeleton who can take an extreme amount of damage like loss of both arms, crushed and drowned and stabbed 1,000 times but then he gets his arms back and he's ok now with a wife and kid. A family man, who woulda thunk it! Really, the spinning of the Ghekko's like a helicopter, AND stopping the 5,000 ton Outer Haven ship from crushing Snake with just his feet and no arms is ridiculous!

come on now, even IF the execution was fantastic, couldn't Hideo come up with a little better plot than this??

maskrider

andrewfee said:
:lol

Seemed to be happening quite a lot after about the halfway point in Act 1 for me.

Seems pretty obvious to me, especially when there are lots of bodies around.

Oh, and this install system is the worst one yet. It's bad enough that you have forced installs at all, but now you have to install it for each act!? Patch in a full install option please.

Those who are so distracted by minor issues like the above are not actually playing the game.

Please kindly keep this shit out of the official thread, thanks for your co-operation.

edit: I have replayed (and captured 720p direct feed video for reinvestigation), the issue he claimed doesn't exist. Case closed.

mint

Banned
Truant said:
SPOILERS:

Really? Really!?

I can't believe how people are saying this. From the terrible last-gen stalking sequence of Act 3, to the lazyness of Act 4, and the Dark Sector-quality bossfights; this game is severly flawed.

Act 1 is the only part of the game that works somewhat as promised; stealth in an open, active battlefield, where you have the ability to pick sides to survive, as well as allowing you to experiment with the gear, mechanics and AI. Act 2 had this in parts, but the level wasn't well enough designed to take advantage of this.

Wow, improper use of spoiler tags?

spoon!

Was glancing through the thread and saw some post titled SPOILERS:, but without a block of black lines under it, shut my eyes like a little girl, paged back and wrote this reply. Jesus fucking christ learn interweb please poster.

Truant said:
SPOILERS:

Really? Really!?

Act 3:
Was that Resistance guy I was stalking so dumb that he couldn't tell that all the soldiers who were in front of him were dropping of massive head wounds, including the two guys who were in the process of arresting him?

Really?

dalin80

Banned
andrewfee said:

LoD.gif

How long does it take for the stress to go from 9.7 to 12%, its a little while.

Banned
dalin80 said:
Well the camera kept shaking from the explosions going on so it was tough to get two clean shots.

Gbeav

Banned
dalin80 said:

That is clearly wind, both sides of his man skirt is blowing. I'd just ignore that poster, saves your stress level.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Truant said:
SPOILERS:

Really? Really!?

This is how I feel right now about the game. Right After act III I'm thinking sweet I get to play with all these new toys I have in
Shadow Moses
. What a letdown :( It was completely empty...nothing to do basically. Which sucks because this is really the last true MGS map in the game.

Haven
Should have been epic! I'm talking a giant maze full of traps, new enemies, more bosses, shit even a new metal gear would have been nice. Instead we get a little tiny gameplay section and a super easy boss on route to massive cutscene the rest of the way.

I guess people were blown away by the cut scenes/story to the point where they forget about the actual game. I guess that's cool, but after mgs3 i think 4 took a step back. Shit instead of telling me about what happened during the cold war or whatever...how about a cool flashback section in Outer Heaven or Zanzibar. There are tons of people who don't even know about those games.

Things I did love about the game:

Act I, and II were awesome. Lots to do...Gameplay felt open and had lots of ways of getting around an obstacle. Act III was fun as hell but this is where the game starts to get a little too on rails happy. Kojima actually closed up most of the loop holes....impressive :lol

I would kill to see a Ghost in the Shell game using this engine. If Kojima ever got tired of doing the Metal Gear games he should attempt to make a Ghost in the Shell game.

Also, I'm probably opening up a can of worms, but here goes:

A lot of people are complaining about Act 3 and 4 and how there's nothing to do. I'm willing to bet that there will be a director's cut released that will have extended, bigger sections and more stuff to do in every act. Probably at least two or three hours of more gameplay.

Deacan

9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
The expression shall no longer be "A wizard did it" its now "The nano machines did it"

Cyberia

Chris Buffa, Senior Editor at GameDaily, has responded to criticism over his review of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, which he scored an 8/10.

“There are a lot of perfect scores and 9s for MGS4, and I can only speculate why. First, I believe that some reviewers give Kojima a free pass because he’s Kojima and that makes no sense. I’ve read some reviews where the writer complains for a good portion of the article and then awards the game a 9/10 or a 10/10. Gamesradar (whom I love) is guilty of this. If you’re going to make arguments against a game, then stick to those points by awarding the game a score that reflects your beliefs. The solution is not to go ‘complain complain complain...but Kojima 9/10,’” Buffa told GameRush Entertainment.

“We can certainly speculate that some of the authors are fan boys and that’s possible. I also have a theory that when reviewers see a few 10/10s and 9/10s that they are inclined to follow suit. Obviously, no one will write you an email if you fall in line and give the game the same score everyone has given it.”

“It’s also worth pointing out that I am not the only writer to give the game an 8. I’d be curious to read those reviews.”

“The bottom line is some people gush over MGS, and its shortcomings matter little compared to its positives. For these people, the game is a 10/10, 9/10, A- or whatever scale they use. For me, it had an opposite effect. Its shortcomings were just too great. In fact, I actually removed stuff from my review. I was going to criticize Kojima for allowing such awful glass breaking physics and animations into the game, as well as horrible looking bottles in Act 1. Now that would have been over the top, yet at the same time...here is a game that took years and millions of dollars to develop, a game that has a heavy foot in realism with all the real world equipment and character models and all this jazz...and your glass sucks. It stands out only because the rest of the game looks attractive.”

“I love the presentation. As always, Kojima shows that he knows how to direct above all else. But at its core, this is the same Metal Gear Solid, and its environments and gunplay pale in comparison to other third and first person games out there. That, and the game just didn’t feel like a 9. I can’t explain how it works...but sometimes as a reviewer you just get a feeling that there is no way this game is such and such a score, which only goes to show how silly numerical values are. So I took a controversial position and I’ve received some hate for it, but I stand by what I said. Great game, just not triple A amazing,” he said.

http://gamerush.zoomshare.com/files/news/002595_GameDaily_Some_reviewers_give_Kojima_a_free_pass.htm

4yyt55u.gif

Banned
Gbeav said:
That is clearly wind, both sides of his man skirt is blowing. I'd just ignore that poster, saves your stress level.
Just look at any body in the game yourself then. It always pops in/out of detail like that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
sp0rsk said:
Also just beat it.

The rest of the games industry just got sonned.
Oh yeah :D

Cyberia said:

That guy is a fucking idiot. If he was so confident in his review, he wouldn't feel compelled to have to go out of his way to defend it.

I'm also disappointed (sarcasm) that he decided to spare us from more of his nit-picking. "Boo-hoo the glass sucks." Is this guy serious?

Notice how he trumpets his review as "controversial"? Take note of that because it's obvious that his review was calculated and intentionally lower than other reviews.

I'm always suspicious of people like this. He writes a controversial review and instead of letting the review speak for itself he continues to beat the dead horse by responding to criticism. So we have a guy that touts his lower score and instead of giving it a rest he makes a public outcry again. :lol

“There are a lot of perfect scores and 9s for MGS4, and I can only speculate why. First, I believe that some reviewers give Kojima a free pass because he’s Kojima and that makes no sense. I’ve read some reviews where the writer complains for a good portion of the article and then awards the game a 9/10 or a 10/10. Gamesradar (whom I love) is guilty of this. If you’re going to make arguments against a game, then stick to those points by awarding the game a score that reflects your beliefs. The solution is not to go ‘complain complain complain...but Kojima 9/10,’” Buffa told GameRush Entertainment.
OK so by criticizing the game in your text your obligated to deduct points?

“We can certainly speculate that some of the authors are fan boys and that’s possible. I also have a theory that when reviewers see a few 10/10s and 9/10s that they are inclined to follow suit. Obviously, no one will write you an email if you fall in line and give the game the same score everyone has given it.”
Or maybe they actually like the game. OMG SHOCKING someone actually likes MGS4.

“The bottom line is some people gush over MGS, and its shortcomings matter little compared to its positives. For these people, the game is a 10/10, 9/10, A- or whatever scale they use. For me, it had an opposite effect. Its shortcomings were just too great. In fact, I actually removed stuff from my review. I was going to criticize Kojima for allowing such awful glass breaking physics and animations into the game, as well as horrible looking bottles in Act 1. Now that would have been over the top, yet at the same time...here is a game that took years and millions of dollars to develop, a game that has a heavy foot in realism with all the real world equipment and character models and all this jazz...and your glass sucks. It stands out only because the rest of the game looks attractive.”
WOW the glass breaking physics aren't top notch. Nitpick much? He should've scored MGS4lower.

“I love the presentation. As always, Kojima shows that he knows how to direct above all else. But at its core, this is the same Metal Gear Solid, and its environments and gunplay pale in comparison to other third and first person games out there. That, and the game just didn’t feel like a 9. I can’t explain how it works...but sometimes as a reviewer you just get a feeling that there is no way this game is such and such a score, which only goes to show how silly numerical values are. So I took a controversial position and I’ve received some hate for it, but I stand by what I said. Great game, just not triple A amazing,” he said.
Uhhh it's a stealth action game. If you seperate each element it might not be the best. But the CQC, gunplay, holdups, customizable weapons, unlockable items all add a lot to the gameplay.

Seriously if MGS4 isn't a triple A game then what is?

I'm only at the start of Act 4, but I have a big plot question.

If Big Boss's genetic material is the only way to access the huge AI thingy, and everyone thinks he's dead, wouldn't they deactivate his access? It sounds like me quitting a job, and the company leaves my security card on 'active' for ten years.

Can someone please tell me if I missed something, or if this gets explained later?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Guys let's not go down this path. Some people didn't like it, good for them. I can't stand it when amazing threads are reduced to quote-offs.

LET PEOPLE CRITISE THE GAME. If you don't have anything to add other than "Wawawawa I love the game and here's why you're wrong" then don't bother posting, just ignore it and the discussion will move on from that soon after and everyone will go on living happily. A hard concept to grasp I know.

Truant

Captain Glanton said:
Act 3:
Was that Resistance guy I was stalking so dumb that he couldn't tell that all the soldiers who were in front of him were dropping of massive head wounds, including the two guys who were in the process of arresting him?

Really?

Exactly. The whole game just feels dated.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Damn I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't get it :( Help me GAF! This was my #1 one awaited game, bought a ps3 for it, and its the sequel to my favorite ps2 game. I'm gonna replay it argh....and I never replay mgs games.

Truant

Absinthe said:
The game feels dated? Hyperbole much? This game feels like it is far beyond anything that has been released. The bar has been raised, if anything.

How is the bar raised? The 'game' is 50% cutscenes, and this is just copying film. After Half-Life 2, Portal, Bioshock, and to some extent GTA4, this game has, if anything, lowered the bar, and it's certainly a step backwards for gaming as an orginial storytelling medium. I still think the cutscenes are well done, for what they are, but I also think it's lazy.

Everyone is calling Kojima an innovator, but he's been doing the same thing for the last ten years.

Cheech

Truant said:
SPOILERS:

Really? Really!?

Yeah, I'm with you. Out of the thousands of games I've played in my life, this one doesn't even break the top 100. The super high review scores, IMO, are the work of guys who were looking for fan service and got it. It's too bad they forgot to objectively review the game AS a game.

What I kept thinking as I played through it is that the game elements are good, there just aren't enough of them. Why am I sitting here watching X action scene unfold via a cinematic instead of playing it myself? They also REALLY need to retire game mechanics such as going prone and crawling through ducts/holes in the wall. I first did that in a Metal Gear game in what.. 1988. This isn't Mario where jumping is an integral part of the game, give me NEW ways to sneak around dammit!

About the best thing I can say about the game is the audio work is amazing.

Edit: And what is with all the toilet humor? It would be like rushing a locust encampment in Gears, and all of a sudden Carmine just decides to stop and take a giant crap in his helmet.

Orlics

Truant said:
How is the bar raised? The 'game' is 50% cutscenes, and this is just copying film. After Half-Life 2, Portal, Bioshock, and to some extent GTA4, this game has, if anything, lowered the bar, and it's certainly a step backwards for gaming as an orginial storytelling medium. I still think the cutscenes are well done, for what they are, but I also think it's lazy.

Everyone is calling Kojima an innovator, but he's been doing the same thing for the last ten years.

At the very least, I think MGS4 (along with GTAIV) has raised the bar for production values.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheDoppelganger said:
Without getting into a huge flame war, the story has some problems.

1. The Patriots were really
good guys we've known all along? Really? That's the big reveal huh.

No. This is never the case. The "good guys" are
Ocelot, EVA, Naomi, and Big Boss, though he's in a coma.

2. But the Patriots were also
dead and who's REALLY been in control is giant AI servers that want world war to keep the economy going.

Also no. Maybe you're thinking of the Philosophers.
The founding Patriots are not dead, and you are talking to a few of them during the game--EVA, Ocelot, and Big Boss included. Plus, you have Zero. Who isn't dead.

I don't even really want to talk about the rest.

MrDaravon

Truant said:

I couldn't agree more, this is far and away my only real major complaint with the game, and why it amazes me that the game is getting 10s. I'm a big MGS fan and love how they wrapped everything up (at least for the most part), but how about you put some fucking gameplay in there Kojima.

LaneDS

Finished it last night. Probably my favorite of the four Solid games. Really exceeded my expectations, and expectations were high. Last time I was this hyped for a game was MGS2, and at the end of that I was pleased but at the same time disappointed, which was definitely not the case here.

I can totally see how someone who doesn't love the Metal Gear mythos would sort of say "meh" to the game... but myself and the three hardcore MG fans that we finished it with (in the span of a day) all came away very pleased.

Truant

Orlics said:
At the very least, I think MGS4 (along with GTAIV) has raised the bar for production values.

I completely agree with you on this. The graphics, production values, soundrack are all top-notch.

A thing that bothers me, though, is that even if Kojima loves cutscenes, he still resorts to codec monologues for certain plot points or details that should be shown in some way or form, preferably a playable flashback. The Beauty&Beast backstories come to mind. They're just so unaffecting when told by a bad voice actor over a mostly blank screen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Truant said:

Prod. value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom