• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCharlie said:
if you do a scan you'll notice i haven't posted anything in ANY of the NG2 threads on any facet of the game at all - and that's for the reason that i'm not a NG fan so frankly have no idea what is going on in there.

I didn't realize you were a Metal Gear fan, considering I rarely see you post in them. Whatever, I really don't care to be honest, I just call it like I see 'em.

Gameplay criticisms seem more valid. I made the (unpopular) point in the other MGS4 review thread that expecting MGS4 to break down barriers in terms of gameplay is holding it to a bit of an unfair standard. If anything, Koji is behind the curve on implementing a more modern camera control/aiming scheme...why would the rest of the mechanics and gameplay have all of a sudden lurched further forward than the rest of the industry?
If I remember correctly you haven't even played MGO.

I mean honestly, no one is going to agree with this point when they have already played the game and tested the gameplay mechanics. I played MGO for over 50 hours, and the controls/gameplay are definitely a big step forward. Controls are very intuitive and responsive.

And the EG review doesn't even mention gameplay, other than saying that Koji is behind in terms of creating video games in general.

And this guy gave MKWii the same score :lol .

Let's just leave it. The game defends itself. Fools will be fools.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
I posted a question about MGS3 in bebpo's MGS thread, but this one is a lot more active so I'll post the question here:

At the end of the game MGS3 where Ocelot is having the conversation with somone on the phone, he says that he was ADAM all allong. Now if thats the case, he should have been the one that met up with snake instead of eva. Did Ocelot deliberately miss that appointment with snake, or was he late?

Technically, Ocelot and snake/ Big boss were on the same side, but had ocelot actually met up with snake, then the two would have a completely different relationship.

mintylurb

Ynos Yrros said:

I mean honestly, no one is going to agree with this point when they have already played the game and tested the gameplay mechanics. I played MGO for over 50 hours, and the controls/gameplay are definitely a big step forward. Controls are very intuitive and responsive.

And the EG review doesn't even mention gameplay, other than saying that Koji is behind in terms of creating video games in general.

And this guy gave MKWii the same score :lol .

Let's just leave it. The game defends itself. Fools will be fools.
Hey, leave MK wii alone! ;<

G-Bus

Banned
Epic OP for an epic game.

Thank you so much for the character bio's. I feel like I actually have a bit of a grip on whats going on in the series now.

The story is whack. I want what Kojimas smoken.

Laurent

psycho_snake said:
I posted a question about MGS3 in bebpo's MGS thread, but this one is a lot more active so I'll post the question here:

At the end of the game MGS3 where Ocelot is having the conversation with somone on the phone, he says that he was ADAM all allong. Now if thats the case, he should have been the one that met up with snake instead of eva. Did Ocelot deliberately miss that appointment with snake, or was he late?

Technically, Ocelot and snake/ Big boss were on the same side, but had ocelot actually met up with snake, then the two would have a completely different relationship.
Spoilerific comment, but I guess this isn't a spoiler ABOUT Guns of the Patriots so... Ocelot didn't miss that appointment if you recall correctly, but yeah he was late.

womfalcs3

Banned
BlockBastard said:
Hm, wonder if the US sites will start putting their reviews up in a few hours? I'm about to go to sleep and I don't wanna miss the train.

Are they going to post reviews this early? We're still two weeks away.

mintylurb

Kagari said:
So Eurogamer is the only one still scoring it so low?
hai there..sexy~
0wk19.gif

Majora

Some people in this thread are utterly, utterly ridiculous. What on earth does a Mario Kart score have to do with this game. The reviewer thought Mario Kart was an 8/10 game...so what? It's a racing game, what's the point in trying to compare them. Honestly, when films come out and a really good kids film gets the same rating as an Oscar contender, as does happen, do you all sit there going 'LOL no consistency, no credibilty.'

And you talk about consistency but none of you have played the damn game. Before GTA4 came out, if reviewers were giving it 8s and 9s the forum would have exploded with indignant outrage, yet now, a month later, a lot of people would agree with those scores. You people never ever learn.

And the Eurogamer review totally justifies the score. It isn't a bitter rant at all, you guys just see what you want to see. There are numerous occasions where he says what a jaw-dropping amazing experience it can be....at times.

Klone.K

Awesome, this is the second review calling the end of MGS4 self indulgent and a mind fuck. Same complaints as with MGS2 and 2's ending was the greatest in video game history. MGS4 sounds like it will be awesome. Will it live up to 2? Remains to be seen.

Klone.K said:
Awesome, this is the second review calling the end of MGS4 self indulgent and a mind fuck. Same complaints as with MGS2 and 2's ending was the greatest in video game history. MGS4 sounds like it will be awesome. Will it live up to 2? Remains to be seen.

MGS4 will not end like MGS2.

You can take that to the bank.

Euphor!a

Banned
Majora said:
And the Eurogamer review totally justifies the score. It isn't a bitter rant at all, you guys just see what you want to see. There are numerous occasions where he says what a jaw-dropping amazing experience it can be....at times.

It does? He says there are plenty of flaws in the gameplay but doesn't say what any of them are. Just saying that they exist is not justifying it.

Klone.K

BlockBastard said:
MGS4 will not end like MGS2.

You can take that to the bank.

It won't be open ended but we will definitely be recieving a hefty and complex philosophical lesson that made 2 so great and controversial.

Klone.K said:
It won't be open ended but we will definitely be recieving a hefty and complex philosophical lesson that made 2 so great and controversial.

I'm sure there will be something worth analyzing in MGS4, but I really doubt Kojima is gonna go balls out with philisophical stuff again in this game.

I'm just hoping that the game manages to depress the fuck out if me. :D

Rainy Dog

Ynos Yrros said:

We all know that MGS's have always played by their own rules...in gameplay, storytelling, how it tells that story etc etc. And an interesting position MGS4 finds itself in today is one of the same but with an even wider gap between it and current trends. Shooters in particular (which unfortunately MGS4's play mechanics are inevitably gonna be compared to) have if anything become simpler and more streamlined to cater for shorter attention spans and maximum immediacy if you like... So as refined and evolved MGS4's controls are from its predecessors, it still finds itself sat (uncomfortably?) opposite the current 'in' thing.

Its gonna be interesting seeing how the kids react to it all. Those that have never played a MGS before and have simply bought into the hype, maybe even splashed out on a new console by seeing it as the game to finally justify a PS3 etc...

They gave MGS3 an 8 and I thought it was one of the top five games on the Playstation 2. Whatever the score is I don't care, I'm buying it day one and I can't wait.

bud

Kagari said:
The game is 50GB, dude... there was bound to be some sort of loading. :p

that kinda kills the game. i mean, you finish one act, and then you have to wait several minutes before you can continue? eh...

Majora said:
Some people in this thread are utterly, utterly ridiculous. What on earth does a Mario Kart score have to do with this game. The reviewer thought Mario Kart was an 8/10 game...so what? It's a racing game, what's the point in trying to compare them. Honestly, when films come out and a really good kids film gets the same rating as an Oscar contender, as does happen, do you all sit there going 'LOL no consistency, no credibilty.'

And you talk about consistency but none of you have played the damn game. Before GTA4 came out, if reviewers were giving it 8s and 9s the forum would have exploded with indignant outrage, yet now, a month later, a lot of people would agree with those scores. You people never ever learn.

Consistency is very important. It's the same person, he has to have some standards as a "professional" critic.
A game which redefines gameplay of the series is getting scolded for it being "behind" (which we know it isn't), and then a game which doesn't have much more to it other than gameplay, which is pretty much the same as it always was, gets the same score and praised for it.

You're getting things wrong, why can't people understand that we HAVE tried MGS4 gameplay (in MGO) and even in it's limited form it's something that can only be described as amazing. It's easy to do things, there's an easy way to switch between different views, there's auto aim, controlling movement is very easy and fun to do, as is shooting, CQC mechanics are better than in any other game, you can play the game any way you can imagine playing a game where you kill things. You can jump on guys heads if you want.

You show me one piece of EG's review where the complaint is justified and I will send you a cookie. The entire review is nothing but empty words with no back up, the glowing pieces have nothing to them, and the conclusion is something out of Troll's 101.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
bud said:
that kinda kills the game. i mean, you finish one act, and then you have to wait several minutes before you can continue? eh...

Who knows, I'm not going to judge it until I see it for myself.

bud said:

Nah, it's apparently like 2 minutes and there's something really cool that distracts you while it's happening.

I personally still don't buy that they're installations though - I think they're just regular loading times.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
bud said:

You don't play games with Now loading screens? Sure, 10 minute installs after a five hour chapter could be too long for some guys but at this point we don't know how long and frequent these install times are.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
BlockBastard said:
Nah, it's apparently like 2 minutes and there's something really cool that distracts you while it's happening.

I personally still don't buy that they're installations though - I think they're just regular loading times.

Makes sense. People were making it out to be ZOMG, 10 MINUTE INSTALL TIMES AFTER EACH ACT, THE WORLD IS ENDING

bud

they're ''several minutes''

i don't mind loading times, but i didn't know loading times of ''several minutes'' were a good thing

edit: ±2 minutes is better than 5--or whatever--but still, that's a bit on the long side

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Quick question, not sure if it's spoiler-worthy, especially being discussed in posts above me, but just in case....

Has there been any confirmation on whether or not you can do the "chapters" in different order, and whether or not it'll affect the story at all?

This thread is pure win. Great job everyone involved!

I'm deciding whether to get a PS3/MGS4 or a new Camera. Ugh. But can anyone suggest some good speakers to get so I don't wake the neighbors (playing a friend's PS3 if I don't buy one). I'm deciding between the Sennheiser 555 and 595. Can anyone help a brother out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom