• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
People really should get over the EG review :D Just let it go, 8/10 is no means bad and it's the reviewer's opinion so we really can't do much. Not every game can be 10/10 not even 9/10.

dralla

"MGS 4 is simply a game that you have to experience for yourself. Because the one thing that can certainly be said, prohibited topics or not, is that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is, without question, the ultimate Metal Gear game. It represents the pinnacle of Hideo Kojima's achievement, and it's undoubtedly one of the games of the year."

bran

@ Eurogamer's Review: The tone of the review sounds a hell lot worse than 8/10 actually. Has anybody noticed that? Is there pressure to review MGS4 7-10 scale???

TBH I wouldn't give a flying F if "eurogamer" gave the game a "1". All the 8/10 score means is the reviewer does not enjoy Kojima's style, which I do.

Without looking up the reviewer's history, I'm going to guess that some or all of the following are true:

- The reviewer thought Halo 3 was the best thing this gen
- Or COD4
- Or Mass Effect

- The reviewer thinks Japanese RPG's need to die

- The reviewer thought Heavenly Sword was shit

Like the Zero Punctuation Yahtzee guy, he's going to have to play some FPS's after reviewing MGS4 because his penis is going to fall off...

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Laurent said:
Spoilerific comment, but I guess this isn't a spoiler ABOUT Guns of the Patriots so... Ocelot didn't miss that appointment if you recall correctly, but yeah he was late.
So Ocelot (ADAM) and snake were meant to work with each other in MGG3, right? How come Ocelot kept fighting snake if they were on the same side? Shouldnt Ocelot have helped snake?

bran

psycho_snake said:
So Ocelot (ADAM) and snake were meant to work with each other in MGG3, right? How come Ocelot kept fighting snake if they were on the same side? Shouldnt Ocelot have helped snake?

I still haven't even figured out if Ocelot is supposed to be a villain or not. (in MGS3, it's safe to say LiquidOcelot is bad I think...)

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
i care about reviews...

...but not that much, danm people. You should be use to this now.

You should know by now the reviewer(individuals or organization) that you accord with the most.

If not, than wait for more reviews, read em, and add up things they like or dislike in common.

and THAT does'nt help, than wait a few more days and play the game.

bran said:
I still haven't even figured out if Ocelot is supposed to be a villain or not. (in MGS3, it's safe to say LiquidOcelot is bad I think...)
I don't think there is such a thing as bad in MG universe. Well, maybe Liquid and Volgin, but I can't think of much else.

When you look at the "villains" they all have some foundations for the way they are, and it usually makes sense and doesn't seem bad or evil at all.

This is a minor spoiler about a voice actor:
Is anyone disappointed that
Cam Clarke isn't in MGS4
. It's old news to many but I still am a little bummed.

P.S. I'm deciding between the Sennheiser 555 and 595. Can anyone help a brother out

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
BlockBastard said:
Nah, it's apparently like 2 minutes and there's something really cool that distracts you while it's happening.

I personally still don't buy that they're installations though - I think they're just regular loading times.

Maybe there doing a local cache type thing, ala Uncharted. The thing with Uncharted was that it was seamless.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Holy shit at this thread!!!!!!

Truly deserving of the tag. nice. sorry if I am a little late but even Hideo would be proud.

DSN2K

so whats people's views on who's gonna lead the series after 4 ? be surprised if Raiden survives the game imo, wouldnt mind a new character and a new genre altogether in the same MG universe of course.

Ephemeris

dralla said:
"MGS 4 is simply a game that you have to experience for yourself. Because the one thing that can certainly be said, prohibited topics or not, is that Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots is, without question, the ultimate Metal Gear game. It represents the pinnacle of Hideo Kojima's achievement, and it's undoubtedly one of the games of the year."

Indeed.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CommanderQueen said:
This thread is pure win. Great job everyone involved!

I'm deciding whether to get a PS3/MGS4 or a new Camera. Ugh. But can anyone suggest some good speakers to get so I don't wake the neighbors (playing a friend's PS3 if I don't buy one). I'm deciding between the Sennheiser 555 and 595. Can anyone help a brother out?

Go for the PS3 w/ MGS4. You'll have more fun with it.

antiloop

dralla said:

Yoboman

bud said:
they're ''several minutes''

i don't mind loading times, but i didn't know loading times of ''several minutes'' were a good thing

edit: ±2 minutes is better than 5--or whatever--but still, that's a bit on the long side
Don't buy it Bud

Raiden's whining in MGS2 and getting his balls grabbed by the President withstanding, I still like the character and like Quinton Flynn's voice. I'm hoping that he plays a big role in MGS4.

P.S.: I'm deciding between the Sennheiser 555 and 595. Tips?

Kagari said:
Go for the PS3 w/ MGS4. You'll have more fun with it.
The Camera can make me moneys though. And I also need a camera. But I get your point.

DSN2K said:
so whats people's views on who's gonna lead the series after 4 ? be surprised if Raiden survives the game imo, wouldnt mind a new character and a new genre altogether in the same MG universe of course.

previously, I'm rooting for Sunny to be the main character after mgs 4, that will insure the story is far enough in the future that it won't mess around with solid snake story. a fresh start. although after reading some review that said Meryl is now a bad ass, I'm rooting for her to be the new main character.

I don't think Raiden will make it till the end too. it felt like his death is almost guaranteed once he become the ninja in this game

WinFonda

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Well said. The 10 should be reserved to games that can be considered as gaming revolutions. This don't mean they're not **ing great games. But please, let's start controlling the hype of high-profile games !
Yes, and by all means, let's start doing it now with MGS4. Surely not last holiday season when nearly every major release was awarded high 9's and 10s.

I'm all for being conservative in reviews and being critical of games, but it's something that would have to happen uniformly and systematically across all gaming sites, and across all games--not just high-profile titles--for it to have any sort of relevancy or impact on how we look at and treat these various reviews. And thats just not going to happen.

Right now, we're in an opposite spectrum. Most review sites/publications are very loose and very liberal with their scores and reviews. I think that's mostly due to the fact that it's good for business. Most people are accustomed to this line of reviewing, which is why we're jarred by the oddball low scores and harsh reviews, but we shouldn't be. That site probably has a different line of reviewing, and it's merely one persons opinion.

But for any self-righteous reviewers or publications to now have a sudden change of heart and shift in policy to say to us, "No more. It's time to put our foot down. We're not going to put up with all the hyperbole and perfect scores anymore!" in some vain attempt to try and ground peoples "hype" or expectations amidst a plethora of amazing reviews for a game only serves to disservice the readership & the developers. Give an honest opinion that holds true to the guidelines your readers are accustomed to from past reviews, and nothing more.

And to be clear, I'm specifically speaking about someone going out of their way to temper their own feelings on a game, to then temper their readers feelings on a game. In which motive basically becomes, "Well, everyone else was going a little too high, so we went a little too low." Thats wrong.

Of course, in a perfect world, honest evaluations and opinions would be standard. But in reality, it can be troubling to discern honesty in any review--whether it be high or low--given the current state of affairs in video game journalism.

camaroace

The OP is amazing. I've read all the character information and I'm getting ready to go through the story timeline. I wanted to get in on the thread and say that you have done a fantastic job!

soldat7

CommanderQueen said:
Raiden's whining in MGS2 and getting his balls grabbed by the President withstanding, I still like the character and like Quinton Flynn's voice. I'm hoping that he plays a big role in MGS4.

I agree. I really appreciate Raiden as a character now. And he was the primary reason behind me never finishing and never touching an MGS game since 2001!

ymmv

Banned
camaroace said:
The OP is amazing. I've read all the character information and I'm getting ready to go through the story timeline. I wanted to get in on the thread and say that you have done a fantastic job!

The OP is a work of art. Impressive!

Laurent

psycho_snake said:
Don't forget that Naked Snake != Solid Snake
, and I like that reply from NME...

NME said:
But I wonder...

ADAM was supposed to be the one to meet with Snake at the warehouse when (fake) EVA showed up. We also now understand that Ocelot was in league with Major Zero, according to Gene's conversation with Ocelot in Portable Ops. I wonder, then, what the desired outcome of the proposed meeting between Snake and ADAM was to have been from Major Zero's perspective. Did Zero want Snake to be killed by ADAM? Did Zero want ADAM to convince Snake to join his cause a la the conclusion of Portable Ops, when Ocelot explains that he wants Snake to join him?

Tom Penny

kamorra said:
You don't play games with Now loading screens? Sure, 10 minute installs after a five hour chapter could be too long for some guys but at this point we don't know how long and frequent these install times are.

It probably takes less time then MLB the Show to get to the main screen.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
that kinda kills the game. i mean, you finish one act, and then you have to wait several minutes before you can continue? eh...
While we do not know the actual length, it sounds similar to the caching used in Halo 1 on the XBOX. Between each of the ten levels was a fairly lengthy load screen that basically copied cache data to the HDD. Perhaps this will be similar? It may last a bit longer, of course, but it shouldn't occur as often.

BeeDog

Hey, a couple of minutes between the awesome is acceptable: it even hightens the urge to discover the new shit the game apparently delivers in droves.

psycho_snake

DSN2K said:
I think it'd have to be someone completely unrelated to snake. MGS4 should explain everything that needs to be explained about snake, the patriots etc and that should be the end of it. After MGS4, they should start the story from scratch.

I keep going back to the original post. I'm still in awe at how insanely awesome it is. It should make news in the industry as the best video game thread ever created. BLR literally put every bit of info you could ever possibly want to know about the MGS series.
Also screenshots, avatars, custom wallpapers, and m0dus's custom theme ftw! Beautiful presentation!

cicero

PoliceCop said:
Years from now, MGS4 will be looked back upon as a milestone for the medium. MKWii won't even be an afterthought.
Well, I was pretty much in total opposition to your stated opinion here, that is until I saw your avatar, which of course made me realize that you are truly a man of sophistication and taste.

I will trust in your wisdom, sir.

Have any of the reviews mentioned the REPLAY VALUE? I haven't seen any quotes about it and I don't read reviews. I find MGS games to be the most replayable single-player games... ever. Just because of all the miscellaneous tricks and easter eggs and bonuses and challenges and whatnot.

Seems like this game's replay value would be off the chart with the supposedly more freeform environments and Drebin, among other things.

revolverjgw said:
Have any of the reviews mentioned the REPLAY VALUE? I haven't seen any quotes about it and I don't read reviews. I find MGS games to be the most replayable single-player games... ever. Just because of all the miscellaneous tricks and easter eggs and bonuses and challenges and whatnot.

Seems like this game's replay value would be off the chart with the supposedly more freeform environments and Drebin, among other things.

The guy who reviewed it in PSM played through it twice. So you're good for at least two goes at it.:D

psycho_snake

Laurent said:
Don't forget that Naked Snake != Solid Snake
and I like that reply from NME...
That meeting that never happened does raise a lot of questions. Had naked snake met up with ocelot, things could have been completely different.

The thing I still dont get is why ocelot kept fighting naked snake. What was the point in trying to kill him?

bud

dark10x said:
While we do not know the actual length, it sounds similar to the caching used in Halo 1 on the XBOX. Between each of the ten levels was a fairly lengthy load screen that basically copied cache data to the HDD. Perhaps this will be similar? It may last a bit longer, of course, but it shouldn't occur as often.

the reason i was saying that is beacuse previous mgs games didn't have long loading times--they were always only a couple of seconds long, iirc. but i hope it doesn't occure too often, as you said.

and can you force the game to install it all at once, though? i read in the other thread that the total install date is ±4.8gb (?), so allowing the player to do that would make it a non-issue--for me, atleast.

Flek

Banned
I have to ask it (ant it may got asked before) - are there any informations yet if the japanese version of this game is goigng to have engish menues and maybe subs ? Or even voices... iam in japan when MGS4 hits the shelves and may want to buy my version there.

FabCam

Flek said:
I have to ask it (any it may got asked before) - are there any informations yet if the japanese version of this game is goigng to have engish menues and maybe subs ? Or even voices... iam in japan when MGS4 hits the shelves and may want to buy my version there.

No subs. They said they couldn't fit it all on the disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom