• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
alr1ghtstart said:
so has anyone received the "
Big Boss
" emblem? I'm looking at the le strat guide (which is pretty awesome btw), and it seems impossible.

0 alerts - doable
0 kills - doable
0 continues - doable. Just reload last save.
<5 hours playing time (with 17 minutes allotted to the ending credits) - doable (not sure if it would be better to avoid or not the fights between PMC and militia/rebels. On the one side, by doing so you cut time, but then you have to sneak through the militia/rebels HQ, which could probably take more time. Unless you can use the outfits.)
0 rations/noodles/regains - This is a bitch
no stealth camo - it's ok
the boss extreme difficulty - Rail gun is you friend.

:lol :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ceb said:
What's the deal with you being a Debbie Downer? :p

I always figured that was
Raiden's own baby. You know, Lone Wolf and Cub style.

Yeah, but
he doesn't even know he has one till the end of the game. And it's already pretty grown up when he shows up.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
Ceb said:
What's the deal with you being a Debbie Downer? :p

I was really looking forward to this game, you know, and so far I'm a bit dissapointed :/

I mean, there are some really good parts in there, but then we get areas like in act 3 which are boring, as well as the bosses. And storywise it feels weak compared to the other MGS-games, with some exceptions.

Maybe it'll be funnier on the second playthrough, though.

traveler

Not Wario
tanod said:
Raddest parts of the game: :D:D:D:D :lol
Chapter 4. All of it.
The fight with Liquid.
Any gameplay with the Geckos.

Wow, I don't think our opinions could have turned out more differently. :lol

Need to try and play the game again, but this time with no kills or continues (used ONE!!! on my first playthrough goddammit).

But I must say, I was a HUGE fan of...
returning to shadow moses. Would have been even better with guards too though.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
alr1ghtstart said:
so has anyone received the "
Big Boss
" emblem? I'm looking at the le strat guide (which is pretty awesome btw), and it seems impossible.

0 alerts
0 kills
0 continues
<5 hours playing time (with 17 minutes allotted to the ending credits)
0 rations/noodles/regains
no stealth camo
the boss extreme difficulty

:lol :lol

I just started my run earlier. I heard you can use the
Solar Gun
, so that helps a lot. I really don't think it'll be TOO bad. Much easier than prior games, due to the no save limit, and ability to
"kill" Phase 1 of the Beauties.

We'll see how it all goes. I already know the main parts I'm worried about.

jet1911

2v2h2is.jpg

Just finished the game (the credits are still rolling)!

I have to say I wasn't feeling the game at the beginning. I thought the first two Acts were a bit bland and I wasn't impressed graphically. Acts 3 through 5 though... Jesus... :eek:. So awesome. Not a single dull moment, everything looked better, everything was better.

There are only two things that really disappointed me in the whole game. The soundtrack and the COD4 like static environments. Everything else, from the AI to the gunfights, boss battles, etc. was excellent. A really great game.

Big-E

About the boss fights,
we can use lethal means on the first part of the battle? Jesus christ. Taking out Wolf and Rage with stun grenades an the tranq gun was hard especially for rage. Tranq does like no damage to her.

pj

Banned
dalin80 said:
Dude! its supposed to be a stealth game it looks like you used the rambo 4 approach.

If they wanted it to be a stealth game, they shouldn't have given me 4 different types of rocket launcher..

Kccitystar

After like a few hours or so stuck on Act 5, this is how I did it

I used strictly tranqs for Act 5.

Stick to the left hand side, take out the 2 guards, then wait for the other 2 frogs to drop down and pop them as well.

Crawl your way to the corner. There should be a guard on the right hand side. Take him out, still going down the left hand side, and tranq the next 2 guys coming up ahead. There's a shit ton of crates but if you hug the wall you can snake (no pun intended) your way past.

Continue to crawl when you get to the other side. Two more FROGS come in by the corner on the left side, pop the two of them also. Use the rail guns for the Gekkos (remember to use FPS view on the rail gun and shoot when it's charged to Lvl 3), but wait until one of them gets destroyed by artillery fire before you destroy the other one.

dalin80

Banned
Big-E said:
About the boss fights,
we can use lethal means on the first part of the battle? Jesus christ. Taking out Wolf and Rage with stun grenades an the tranq gun was hard especially for rage. Tranq does like no damage to her.

air shotgun and tranq sniper are awesome.

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Need to try and play the game again, but this time with no kills or continues (used ONE!!! on my first playthrough goddammit).

But I must say, I was a HUGE fan of...
returning to shadow moses. Would have been even better with guards too though.

Agreed. I wish that segment had been longer too. There was so much more I wanted to see.

Bebpo

Banned
Aggelos said:
What an interesting coincedence:
Ohtsuka Akio is voicing Solid Snake in MGS4.
http://www.mausu.net/talent/tpdb_view.cgi?UID=72

His (Akio's) father , Ohtsuka Chikao is voicing Big Boss in MGS4
http://www.aoni.co.jp/actor/a/ohtsuka-chikao.html

Father and son as voice actors, father and son as game characters of the MGS Saga.
I like it!

Also I think Kojima voiced like a hell of a lot of characters in the Japan one. I kept seeing his name pop up in the credits. Like I think he played
The 2nd in command on the ship who had the speech with Mei-lin at the end of act 5.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
dalin80 said:
Dude! its supposed to be a stealth game it looks like you used the rambo 4 approach.

Heh, im on act 5 and have something like 600 kills........ a lot less alert phases though, seems Kojima has made this game so either approach works.

F-Pina

Hi!
Just finished this, great game :)

Is there any way to listen to the musics or podcast from the game without using the player in game? I don't see any option in the menu to do so and it would be cool to be able to listen without having to be in game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh my lord, my brother's playing the game for the first time now. He's in the other room and I just heard him shout:
Oh my GOD, Rose and ROY FUCKING CAMPBELL TOGETHER?!

:lol :lol :lol I'm dying here!

ianp622

To anyone who got the Limited Edition strategy guide, would you recommend it? I'm not usually a strategy guide person, but I do use gamefaqs if I've been stuck on something for about an hour (I didn't have to for MGS4). I was going to get the strategy guide for some of the secrets since I've played through once, but I'm not sure if it would be better if I just fooled around and kept replaying the game.

quick question, how do i keep on rolling with snake? like when i lie down, isnt it possible to keep on rolling (without the drum btw)? i coulda sworn i saw it on some gameplay videos.

when im lying down, triangle only makes him roll over, and then back again the way it was. i wanna keep moving, damnit!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I'm enjoying the guns too much NOT to go John Matrix on everyone, racked up 260 kills in Act 1 alone! I've never played an MGS game like this before. Stupid fun and on Big Boss Hard it is still quite a challenge to keep from getting overwhelmed.

ianp622 said:
To anyone who got the Limited Edition strategy guide, would you recommend it? I'm not usually a strategy guide person, but I do use gamefaqs if I've been stuck on something for about an hour (I didn't have to for MGS4). I was going to get the strategy guide for some of the secrets since I've played through once, but I'm not sure if it would be better if I just fooled around and kept replaying the game.

My gfs got mine >:x But totally, especially for the Shinkawa "old snake" art on lithograph. Sex.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
effingvic said:
quick question, how do i keep on rolling with snake? like when i lie down, isnt it possible to keep on rolling (without the drum btw)? i coulda sworn i saw it on some gameplay videos.

when im lying down, triangle only makes him roll over, and then back again the way it was. i wanna keep moving, damnit!

Lay down, hold L1, pick a side and keep pressing X.

jet1911

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Heh, im on act 5 and have something like 600 kills........ a lot less alert phases though, seems Kojima has made this game so either approach works.

I'd probably have more kills but I started to use the tranq gun for the last part of the game. I'll try a more stealthy approach on my second playthrough. :lol

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
ianp622 said:

Absolutely. Extremely high quality in every aspect, the artwork, paper quality, layout, and backplot/history section makes it worthwhile for any fan.

Greg

I'm probably late with this because I haven't read much on the game/trying to stay away from things, but for any of the fights against members of the beauty/beast
once you beat their first form, you can run away from them and they die on their own.
:lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SnakeXs said:
Lay down, hold L1, pick a side and keep pressing X.
The action button is /\ isn't it?

Ourobolus

Banned
Finally finished the game. Wow, what a masterpiece. Managed to get Eagle, Inchworm, Scorpion, and Hyena. Gonna go play through on Hard mode now.

Also I love the Codec conversations during the
Screaming Mantis
battle. Those were hilarious.:lol

This game fucking rocks. I am going through the game for the second time on Big Boss difficulty. I am up to Act 3. God I love this game. What an amazing end to one of my favorite game series.

Remy

Finished as well. Got Pidgeon, Inchworm, and Scorpion. Was really only trying for Pidgeon.

Now to run it on Very Easy so I can get the stealth camo. :)

SaitoH

Just beat the game. Absolutely amazing. Easily my favourite game of this generation thus far. Maybe RE5 will top it, but that remains to be seen. Here are my results:

results764.jpg

Initially I started off killing people and being spotted, but slowly settled back into the stealth role. My next playthrough will be a total stealth run. At least that's my plan!

senahorse

Brandon F said:
Absolutely. Extremely high quality in every aspect, the artwork, paper quality, layout, and backplot/history section makes it worthwhile for any fan.

+1

I was very impressed with my Lost Odyssey guide, but the MGS4 LE guide sets a new benchmark.

Hero

Whew. Done. Got Hyena, Pig, and Cougar(or was it Panther?)

For the most part the game was amazing throughout every act, although I found Shadow Moses relied too much on nostalgia. So fucking frustrating to get seen by the stupid electronic black things. Not fun.

Boss fights were fun except for Vamp. Seriously wasted so much ammo on that guy until I finally had to look it up. I called Otacon and Rose and they didn't help me figure it out, maybe I didn't wait long enough for someone in game to give me a hint.

Rex vs Ray was cool, although I don't see the point in it from Liquid's perspective. Why not have blown up Rex after you took the rail gun? For that matter, why did Ray show up in the cutscene at the end? Who the hell was piloting it? I smashed that bitch to pieces.

I didn't really like Akiba/Johnny. In fact until the very end during a flashback sequence I didn't know who the hell he was supposed to be.

Glad Raiden/Rose/John got a happy ending. Really would've upset me if Campbell was boning Rose for real. Also, did they ever explain in another game or document about Raiden's new body?

A real shame that Naomi killed herself at the end.

Also, how did Raiden find out about the Patriots/Eva/Big Mama?

Are the B&B's supposed to be dead then too? I used tranq. shots on them but I guess that has no outcome? I didn't know about trophies either. Damn.

Feel mixed about the final fight with Liquid/Liquid Ocelot/Ocelot. It was pretty epic but at the same time all four games boils down to some slug fest?

Glad I was able to stay to see the end. I actually would hope that there would be no more games after this one but obviously Konami won't let that happen. Oh well.

roxya

I just got to Act 5 and wow. I'm sure this is the best game I've ever played (before this it was MGS2).

I think my favourite act so far is 3.
The stalking mission was such a nice twist, I loved it. But then the bike ride... WOWOWOW. The slow motion bit worked out perfectly for me. As we were sliding under that tank/APC thing that was doing a mid-air barrel roll I slowly moved my crosshair towards the guy on the turret and SHOT HIM SQUARE IN THE HEAD! It was like something out of an awesome action movie and I shouted out in joy because it was seriously one of the best moments in gaming I've ever seen. And then that final cutscene...

Seiken said:
Oh my lord, my brother's playing the game for the first time now. He's in the other room and I just heard him shout:
Oh my GOD, Rose and ROY FUCKING CAMPBELL TOGETHER?!

:lol :lol :lol I'm dying here!

:lol strangely
i totally bought into them being together, i was surprised when Rose explained it at the end

jvalioli

I think it is impossible to go through this game without killing anyone. I'm on Act 3 and I have 10 kills. The whole
running away section in Act 2 with Drebin makes it sooo hard.

Ok just started my second run, this time I will support the Rebels, try different routes and CQC a little bit more. Some quick questions:

1. How do you give food to the rebels?

What the hell did Sunny mean when she said "Only two eggs today? Solidus must be something something (forgot the rest)

3. Can anyone provide a list of where to find all the iPod tracks?

I read somewhere their is some "solar gun" you gain by collecting 5 statues. My question is, what statues? Where?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom