• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solo

Also, screw David Hayter, I could REALLY go for another
Big Boss entry to the series with Richard Doyle. Big Boss was surprisingly awesome in this.

Linkzg said:
Since it wasn't known what languages they were speaking in the entire time (they made a joke early in the game with Sokolov complimenting Snake on his Russian), it is hard to tell what they were speaking in. I think she could have had the password since she must have dealt with the real EVE somehow (both ADAM and EVE were male. ADAM was Ocelot. I don't think the real EVE was ever mentioned). I just remember reading at one point that it couldn't be pronounced so she couldn't say the code. Most talking in Snake Eater would have to be Russian anyway.

Pronounciation was the key here I think, because the whole La Li Lu Le Lo code was used to tell apart Japanese from americans, as the L sounds were not used in Japanese grammer or something along the lines. I read it on that MGS site, pretty interesting read.

Solo said:
I take it the MGS theme lawsuit was legit then, as the theme was no where to be found? HGW (and Morricone) used some cues from his MGS3 version of the theme, but not the actual theme itself. I was actually pretty disappointed by that. Several times the music would crescendo and felt like it might be building up to the MGS4 version of the theme, but it never happened. Sure, the "Old Snake" tune from the start menu is good and all, but its not the same thing.

I'm sure I heard some of it. Even if it was gone, I don't really miss it too much. The music in MGS4 is fantastic.

The voice work is also amazing and I would say it was the best in the series, or really any video game. In the bonus bluray with the LE, they talked about how they did the voice work after watching the ingame models this time instead of simply reading off the script, so maybe that helped.

traveler

Not Wario
Solo said:
Big Boss entry to the series with Richard Doyle. Big Boss was surprisingly awesome in this.

Absolutely. Best character model in the game and voice acting (outside of Hayter's performance, which is remarkably understated- for a Metal Gear game- throughout most of the game)
and he's only there for one scene!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Linkzg said:
I'm sure I heard some of it. Even if it was gone, I don't really miss it too much. The music in MGS4 is fantastic.

The voice work is also amazing and I would say it was the best in the series, or really any video game. In the bonus bluray with the LE, they talked about how they did the voice work after watching the ingame models this time instead of simply reading off the script, so maybe that helped.

But I wanted to hear it in this game! I would of been awesome if it was.

Elbrain said:
Can't stress how awesome
Snake vs Liquid Ocelot is, the whole fight I was just saying holy fucking shit! Especially once Ocelot takes for for the 3rd part of the fight.

Yes
With the music aspect of it being the best part, oh and not to mention how beautiful the lighting and sky were in this section... just wow. Too bad Liquid (ocelot) beat me like 3 times before I started dodging more and approached him after every "Take This!" hit.

Solo said:

Well, if MGS4 sells well
maybe Konami would see fit to reimagine MG1 and MG2 using the MGS4 engine.

AmMortal

Banned
The last part I couldn't stop myself from saying

Oh My God.

Oh God...

Oh God..

Oh My..

God..

Oh God..

Everytime I hit liquid I said " Fucking Bitch! "

" 10 years you sonofaBitch! "

" 10 .."

" long.."

"years"

After the signature sign saying " You're Pretty good" - I screamed " Holy fucking Shiiiiiiiiiiiit"
!!!!!!!!!!

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
ScissorHands said:
Yes
With the music aspect of it being the best part, oh and not to mention how beautiful the lighting and sky were in this section... just wow. Too bad Liquid (ocelot) beat me like 3 times before I started dodging more and approached him after every "Take This!" hit.

The
ending part of it as well once snake won and Ocelot give him his signature hand gesture, that just mad the moment!

Linkzg said:

Certain lines took over 30 takes :lol

Although on the 1up show they did refer to Naomi's constant twitching that a lot of japanese females do as part of their acting.. that was pretty wierd.

I thought the game got exceedingly better as it went, I loved the first act but we'd seen most of it in trailer. I prefer that, as much of the rest of the game was new. But after act 2, and the plot really gets going, I thought each act trumped the preceding one.

dabookerman said:
Worst game ever amarite?

oh it sucked. too much fairy dust. holy shit my eyes just rolled out of my sockets!

brandonh83 said:
I thought the game got exceedingly better as it went, I loved the first act but we'd seen most of it in trailer. I prefer that, as much of the rest of the game was new. But after act 2, and the plot really gets going, I thought each act trumped the preceding one.

I think each act has it's own flavour.
Act 1 and 2 are pretty similar I guess, but two different environments, the second of which is absolute sex.
Act 3 just gives of a James Bond vibe for me.. or some sorta detective vibe, followed by an incredibly intense and exciting second half
Act 4 was made purely for the MGS fans, especially right at the end. God is that the best, most epic battle ever.
Act 5 was just pure emotion and tears.

traveler

Not Wario
brandonh83 said:

Really? You thought the practically
empty rooms and Gekkos of Shadow Moses were more impressive encounters than the stuff like the power station?
I mean, to each his own and all that jazz, but I can't really see how one could think that. :lol

Edit: Yeah, I was going to comment on Naomi's really melodramatic acting as well, but I saw that on the 1up show so I figured I'd just let it slide as a cultural difference or something.

dabookerman said:
Certain lines took over 30 takes :lol

Although on the 1up show they did refer to Naomi's constant twitching that a lot of japanese females do as part of their acting.. that was pretty wierd.

I don't really buy that because
Meryl, Mei Ling and basically no other character acted that way. Only Naomi and Sunny had weird quirks about how they acted. Naomi had reason because she was planning all sorts of shit and was nervious and Sunny was a social misfit.

Solo

traveler said:
Absolutely. Best character model in the game and voice acting (outside of Hayter's performance, which is remarkably understated- for a Metal Gear game- throughout most of the game)
and he's only there for one scene!

Agreed. Before I noticed how much I enjoyed his VA work, the first thing I noticed was how incredible the character model was. So incredibly detailed, and it really looked exactly like the old Shinkawa drawing brought to life. MGS games always have the best character models/animation. Really talented peeps over there at KP.

traveler said:
empty rooms and Gekkos of Shadow Moses were more impressive encounters than the stuff like the power station?
I mean, to each his own and all that jazz, but I can't really see how one could think that. :lol

yes,
fighting the gekkos in the narrow corridors was fucking awesome to me, and the Vamp fight was fucking epic as was the Metal Gear REX segment

I just thought the events of the game, and gameplay situations got better as it went.

Durante

dabookerman said:
I think each act has it's own flavour. Act 4 was made purely for the MGS fans, especially right at the end. God is that the best, most epic battle ever.
I'm not even that much of a MGS fan (at least not before 4), but that really was the most awesome battle in any game ever.
Until Act 5 that is.

btw, does anyone know what the fake spoiler going around was? Like the one in the XBL/PSN names and youtube comments? I'm curious to see how off base they were.

Linkzg said:
I don't really buy that because
Meryl, Mei Ling and basically no other character acted that way. Only Naomi and Sunny had weird quirks about how they acted. Naomi had reason because she was planning all sorts of shit and was nervious and Sunny was a social misfit.
Hmmm. Well I never really noticed it until they mentioned it. Personally I thought Sunny was brilliant, I really felt sorry for her :( And normally characters like that in video games i tend to despise.

pj

Banned
Something else that bugged me was

The CONSTANT up and down status of snake's health. Either be healthy or die already, jesus, quit dragging it out. Is there any explanation for why he seems perfectly healthy in the graveyard at the end?

DrBo42

Continuity fuck-up (Involves massive MGS4 end spoilers)
In MGS3 as some of you are talking about that code phrase Naked Snake uses to make sure ADAM is who he says he is. Why is the code phrase "Who are The Patriots?" when the organization isn't formed until after the game BY Zero and Big Boss of all people?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
traveler said:

You nailed it! I think if they had
added a few more surprises to shadow moses the game would have been so much better. Maybe a few more floors to Haven would have been a plus.

Smokey

Solo said:
I take it the MGS theme lawsuit was legit then, as the theme was no where to be found? HGW (and Morricone) used some cues from his MGS3 version of the theme, but not the actual theme itself. I was actually pretty disappointed by that. Several times the music would crescendo and felt like it might be building up to the MGS4 version of the theme, but it never happened. Sure, the "Old Snake" tune from the start menu is good and all, but its not the same thing.

I was wondering why the theme was absent.

I was anxiously awaiting for it's arrival, and it never showed.

:/

Would've been too awesome I guess.

traveler

Not Wario
brandonh83 said:
yes,
fighting the gekkos in the narrow corridors was fucking awesome to me, and the Vamp fight was fucking epic as was the Metal Gear REX segment

I just thought the events of the game, and gameplay situations got better as it went.

Well whatever. Glad someone enjoyed that section.
I did like the Metal Gear fight as a bit of fanservice, but it was way too easy for me to enjoy as an actual battle. The Vamp solution was pretty cool, though. One of the more satisfying things to figure out in the game.

Also, did anyone else here totally dislike
the split screen sequences
and the final battle or am I alone on that?

traveler said:
I think the Vamp fight and the whole "Protect Rex, Now Control Rex and escape, now kill Ray" made this act compensate for the rather unexciting "Avoid the laser things and Gekkos".

Also, did anyone else here totally dislike the split screen sequences and the final battle or am I alone on that?

I think it was neat, but like you mentioned
it is hard to enjoy them when you have to take down like 20 Gekkos.

Almyn

Can anyone give me a rough idea of how close i am to the end? I want to play through to the finish in one go, But if it's going to take too long i'll have to wait until tomorrow night.

I've just had the Johnny and Meryl 'will you marry me' scene, And Snake is heading towards the server

Issun23

Almyn said:
Can anyone give me a rough idea of how close i am to the end? I want to play through to the finish in one go, But if it's going to take too long i'll have to wait until tomorrow night.

I've just had the Johnny and Meryl 'will you marry me' scene, And Snake is heading towards the server

Just a bit more!

traveler

Not Wario
Almyn said:

You're pretty much done gameplay wise, but you've still got a ton of cutscenes to wade through. (Read: Over an hour) Might be better to just wait till you can watch them without interruption.

DrBo42

Almyn said:

Super close. Finish it off.

Deadly

Kaytwo said:
Just finished the game - just under 24 hours (took it slow) - got Eagle rank.

One question though:-

Kojima was credited as the voice of God. Was that a joke? because I don't remember any scene with God talking to Snake - and I even kept it on after the final credits with that conversation between Snake and Otacon. So was there a scene I just missed? or a joke?

Don't know if it's a spoiler so I'll spoiler it anyways but
you see his face as a ghost somewhere during the game (sorry haven't played the game myself so I don't know when/where), a screenshot was posted in the spoiler thread

Durante

traveler said:
I agree on the former: neat idea, doesn't work well in practice. On the latter the only thing I can say is that you have to be completely insane :D

What I found most impressive about both the final and the REX battle was how the environment influenced which moves you would actually perform. And of course the music an graphics were beyond epic.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
traveler said:
I did like the Metal Gear fight as a bit of fanservice, but it was way too easy for me to enjoy as an actual battle. The Vamp solution was pretty cool, though. One of the more satisfying things to figure out in the game.

I would say you are alone in the Final battle part, that shit was awesome.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Almyn said:

Youre pretty much done...put down the controller the rest of the way :D

Ceb

traveler said:

I don't get your complain about "empty rooms". It perfectly managed to capture the solitary feel that should be there. And the
Gekko- and Scarab-infested rooms featured some hardcore stealth opportunities, with multi-level stairways and big furnace rooms with tons of crawling spaces.

I don't know how anyone could not like Act 4. The boss battles are insane as well.

dalin80

Banned
traveler said:

I didnt realise until late on that you could change
rex's weapons, he has a nice choice of multi missile, gattling cannon and deathbeam, heres hoping that the next game will be a armored core rival

traveler

Not Wario
Elbrain said:
I would say you are alone in the Final battle part, that shit was awesome.

I'd have just preferred it to be a logical conclusion of the gameplay in either the game or the series.
It's the last fight we'll ever experience as Solid Snake and it doesn't use ANY of the skills we've developed throughout the franchise. No stealth, no shooting, no CQC- (well, I guess you could argue the new fighting moves were CQC of their own) it's a complete changeup that sends off the series with none of its hallmark elements.
I will say the scenery, music, and overall atmosphere were pretty amazing, though, so I guess that's gotta count for something.

Ceb said:
I don't get your complain about "empty rooms". It perfectly managed to capture the solitary feel that should be there. And the
Gekko- and Scarab-infested rooms featured some hardcore stealth opportunities, with multi-level stairways and big furnace rooms with tons of crawling spaces.

I don't know how anyone could not like Act 4. The boss battles are insane as well.

Atmosphere wise? Totally- it did capture that feel. I just felt like the gameplay suffered immensely as a result. You could be right about the Gekko and Scarab rooms, though. I didn't really try too much stealth there and, as combat opponents, they're merely bullet sponges and cannon fodder respectively, so I could see how that part would be more compelling if approached differently. I'll give it a different take next time around.
The boss battles, as I said before, are interesting conceptually, but not that interesting in execution. I didn't sniper duel Wolf at all, since all you had to do was nuke her every time she showed up. There was no need to pay attention to the wind since it was easier to simply not worry about it.

So I had never played a Metal Gear game until 9 days ago.

Ordered Twin Snakes off of Ebay and beat it in three days. Immediately bought Sons of Liberty and Subsistence the next day and I just finished the latter last night.

And now I can't play 4 because I don't own a PS3. I knew I wouldn't be able to play 4 when I was done but I still rushed through all 3 Solid games. :[

So depressing. :[

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ceb said:

Act 4 is indeed awesome. Especially if you are going for a no-alarms playthrough. It's easy to ignore the whole patrol design of the little gekkos if you just run and roll your way through.

TenshiOni said:
So I had never played a Metal Gear game until 9 days ago.

Ordered Twin Snakes off of Ebay and beat it in three days. Immediately bought Sons of Liberty and Subsistence the next day and I just finished the latter last night.

Did you riked them arot?

traveler said:

Edit: Yeah, I was going to comment on Naomi's really melodramatic acting as well, but I saw that on the 1up show so I figured I'd just let it slide as a cultural difference or something.

I felt so too, I think act 4 is the best act in the whole game.
It took what we were used to and morphed it into what felt like a classic Metal Gear experience. Moving around an area trying not to be detected. Awesome surprised around every corner, like the one on one Gekko fight. There a lot of boss fights, thak god cause up until that point it felt odd how few battles you had. The most amazing sequence where you get to pilot a Metal Gear, HOLY SHIT! The nostagia tied it all up. It was perfection.

TTP said:
Act 4 is indeed awesome. Especially if you are going for a no-alarms playthrough. It's easy to ignore the whole patrol design of the little gekkos if you just run and roll your way through.

Yup, I like all acts.
But this is a case of the plot really influencing the design of the levels. What I really love though is the variety like I said. It's how I managed to do 5 playthroughs in a row x_x

traveler said:
I'd have just preferred it to be a logical conclusion of the gameplay in either the game or the series.
It's the last fight we'll ever experience as Solid Snake and it doesn't use ANY of the skills we've developed throughout the franchise. No stealth, no shooting, no CQC- (well, I guess you could argue the new fighting moves were CQC of their own) it's a complete changeup that sends off the series with none of its hallmark elements.
I will say the scenery, music, and overall atmosphere were pretty amazing, though, so I guess that's gotta count for something.

The entire fight was for Ocelot and for the fans of the series. Snake fought Gray Fox using hand to hand combat. Snake fought Liquid using hand to hand combat. This final send off was him fighting Ocelot using hand to hand combat. In the speech Liquid made before the fight in MGS1, he explained how hand to hand was the basis of all combat. I thought it was a great send off for Snake. The shift from Liquid's persona/fighting style to Ocelot as the game went through each game soundtrack and hud was fantastic. It was an amazing sequence. The only thing more fitting would be Snake fist fighting Big Boss, but that would have been wrong. Other than Big Boss, Ocelot was Snake's greatest foe.

TTP said:

Pretty much.
I was exhilarated the whole time, it was so dark, spooky, lonely, yet difficult to get past the Dwarf Gekkos without being spotted. You know, that's kind of the idea here, and I thought MGS4 took the idea of stealth to the extreme. It wasn't just okay, the guard's back is turned, I can go. No. Kojima added so many more factors to it, and I thought it was brilliant.

AmMortal

Banned
Act 4 was my favourite, all the memories it literally makes you go through

have any of you tried to go up the stairst through the vent? The memory there is awesome -- Also, when you past the camera, another one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom