• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheWolf

Banned
ScissorHands said:
Ok just started my second run, this time I will support the Rebels, try different routes and CQC a little bit more. Some quick questions:

What the hell did Sunny mean when she said "Only two eggs today? Solidus must be something something (forgot the rest)

I read somewhere their is some "solar gun" you gain by collecting 5 statues. My question is, what statues? Where?

they have 3 chickens on board the ship. Solid, Liquid, and Solidus.

4. beat the bosses with non-lethal weapons.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Okay, I just started the 2nd chapter and WTF???

Campbell and ROSEMARY?? W. T. F????? That... doesn't even make any sense!! Just... wow, mind = blown!

vpance

Any funny reactions from other characters when you have the face camo on with someone's else's face on it during a cutscene?

Truant

SaitoH said:
Just beat the game. Absolutely amazing. Easily my favourite game of this generation thus far. Maybe RE5 will top it, but that remains to be seen. Here are my results:

results764.jpg

Initially I started off killing people and being spotted, but slowly settled back into the stealth role. My next playthrough will be a total stealth run. At least that's my plan!

Hahaha, I just finished the game, too, and my stats are identical.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
RurouniZel said:

Campbell and ROSEMARY?? W. T. F????? That... doesn't even make any sense!! Just... wow, mind = blown!
Seiken said:
Oh my lord, my brother's playing the game for the first time now. He's in the other room and I just heard him shout:
Oh my GOD, Rose and ROY FUCKING CAMPBELL TOGETHER?!

:lol :lol :lol I'm dying here!
:lol :lol :lol :lol

No_Style

RurouniZel said:

It will be explained like most things.

Truant

BlazingDarkness said:
:lol strangely
i totally bought into them being together, i was surprised when Rose explained it at the end

I'm surprised the almighty Patriots bought into that act.

TheWolf

Banned
so, i still don't understand why
Eva jumped on Solidus' burning corpse. she knew it wasn't Big Boss, right? i don't think she was trying to fake out Liquid or anything...

roxya

B.K. said:
I'm in Act Four and I'm stuck on
Crying Wolf.
How do I beat it?

I put on NV and waited for her to show her human body, then hit it 3 times with the SVD before she retreats. Repeat a few times and it's done... pretty easy sniper battle really.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Whats the best way to approach the
Haven
level, stealth doesnt seem to work to great as there are a lot of enemies (im playing on hard, may make it worse) so its kinda impossible to sneak, cant go in guns blazing either...... well i could but i only got no rations or anything left.

jvalioli

chaoticprout said:
The Frog Corps when you first meet Meryl.
:lol I forgot that the cutscene before that changes your weapon from the tranq gun. Without even thinking I shot one of the frogs in the head before realizing this.

Hero said:
Whew. Done. Got Hyena, Pig, and Cougar(or was it Panther?)

For the most part the game was amazing throughout every act, although I found Shadow Moses relied too much on nostalgia. So fucking frustrating to get seen by the stupid electronic black things. Not fun.

Boss fights were fun except for Vamp. Seriously wasted so much ammo on that guy until I finally had to look it up. I called Otacon and Rose and they didn't help me figure it out, maybe I didn't wait long enough for someone in game to give me a hint.

Rex vs Ray was cool, although I don't see the point in it from Liquid's perspective. Why not have blown up Rex after you took the rail gun? For that matter, why did Ray show up in the cutscene at the end? Who the hell was piloting it? I smashed that bitch to pieces.

I didn't really like Akiba/Johnny. In fact until the very end during a flashback sequence I didn't know who the hell he was supposed to be.

Glad Raiden/Rose/John got a happy ending. Really would've upset me if Campbell was boning Rose for real. Also, did they ever explain in another game or document about Raiden's new body?

A real shame that Naomi killed herself at the end.

Also, how did Raiden find out about the Patriots/Eva/Big Mama?

Are the B&B's supposed to be dead then too? I used tranq. shots on them but I guess that has no outcome? I didn't know about trophies either. Damn.

Feel mixed about the final fight with Liquid/Liquid Ocelot/Ocelot. It was pretty epic but at the same time all four games boils down to some slug fest?

Glad I was able to stay to see the end. I actually would hope that there would be no more games after this one but obviously Konami won't let that happen. Oh well.
I have a feeling that your questions about Raiden will
be answered in a prequel that takes place betwen MGS2 and MGS4 where you play as Raiden. That's what MGS5 is going to be. I'm calling it.

MickeyPhree

I'm done with the game....amazing experience. I can't wait to start going through it again.

I'm going to get ready and start up MGO. I finally got a decent headset(that one from buy.com sucked). If someone wants to message me so I can see if it works well, message joeballgame on PSN. I'm online right now.

It is possible to use nothing but tranqs the entire way. My first playthrough (on Solid Normal) I did this. Yes, I tranquilized
the initial phase of the Beauties--Raven took forever
. Yes, I tranquilized
Vamp
. On this run, I killed three people. They were
three guards in exosuits during the South America truck escape
. The tranqs didn't appear to be working on them. Did I just not give it enough time? Every time I shot, I was told "Regular weapons won't work on them!" It kind of irked me that they ruined my perfect benevolence. I bet I was just impatient.

Has anyone done a true no-kill completion? Any bonuses/emblems? Any different cutscenes?

Carl2282

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy said:
Whats the best way to approach the
Haven
level, stealth doesnt seem to work to great as there are a lot of enemies (im playing on hard, may make it worse) so its kinda impossible to sneak, cant go in guns blazing either...... well i could but i only got no rations or anything left.
i to the left silenced all my guns and took down people on the way if your quick with the kills you wont alert anyone

TheWolf said:
so, i still don't understand why
Eva jumped on Solidus' burning corpse. she knew it wasn't Big Boss, right? i don't think she was trying to fake out Liquid or anything...

i concluded that
she knew the foxdie would kill her anyway, so she went out with a bang

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheWolf said:
um, but
he talked about how the world would now tear itself apart now that the AI was gone. so that was Ocelot? because that was never Ocelot's agenda.
no no no no no

Sunny manages to preserve civilian infrastructure, which is something not even Ocelot thought possible.

Roxas

The last boss
against Ocelot....i have no words, except epic. Fucking Epic. Even the small things like the life gauges looking like they did in MGS1, 2, 3, and then just punching the fuck out of eachother with their last bit of strength. wow.

KGKK

Banned
So I beat the game Friday night, or should I say Saturday morning. :lol My god what an amazing game. Kojima really delivered for us who are die hard MGS fans. I really feel sorry for the people who did not really play any of the previous MGS games, especially MGS3 as it has much more to do with MGS4 than MGS2.

I ended up getting the Eagle ranking. Right now I'm replaying the game on Big Boss mode. Damn this game has replay value through the roof thanks to new game+ on which you can choose different difficulties. And the sheer amounts of weapons and ways to approach is situation is damn insane.

TheWolf

Banned
Y2Kev said:
no no no no no

Sunny manages to preserve civilian infrastructure, which is something not even Ocelot thought possible.

well, the argument was that Liquid was trying to kill Snake and the Ocelot part kept letting him live. so if Ocelot was the one at the end saying that he wanted Snake to make it to the end and upload the virus, then he also the one who mentioned the part about the world tearing itself apart.

TheWolf

Banned
BlazingDarkness said:
i concluded that
she knew the foxdie would kill her anyway, so she went out with a bang

i've concluded that is stupid and retarded and makes no sense. and it got
Snake burned for nothing.

Y2Kev

TheWolf said:
well, the argument was that Liquid was trying to kill Snake and the Ocelot part kept letting him live. so if Ocelot was the one at the end saying that he wanted Snake to make it to the end and upload the virus, then he also the one who mentioned the part about the world tearing itself apart.

There
IS NO LIQUID PART. The official guide specifically states that Liquid Ocelot is a ruse. He is never a distinct character; he does not exist. Why is this still up for debate?

test_account

XP-39C²
Darkpen said:
ur hur hur

from the SF thread :D
Cool, thanks for posting these pictures! I think its cool to see how forum members etc. looks like :) I also think that the other pictures with the lines and the signed MGS 4 Limited Edition game etc. looks cool as well! :)

TheWolf

Banned
Y2Kev said:
There
IS NO LIQUID PART. The official guide specifically states that Liquid Ocelot is a ruse. He is never a distinct character; he does not exist. Why is this still up for debate?

um, so what was the part
about Ocelot using self-hypnosis and nanomachines to make himself believe that he was Liquid? seemed like a distinct personality to me.

Oneself

Doing chapter 3 right now...

and this game is heaven. It's just plain awesomeness. Everybody knows this but it needs to be said again and again because it's just too fucking awesome.

Hero said:
For the most part the game was amazing throughout every act, although I found Shadow Moses relied too much on nostalgia. So fucking frustrating to get seen by the stupid electronic black things. Not fun.

Boss fights were fun except for Vamp. Seriously wasted so much ammo on that guy until I finally had to look it up. I called Otacon and Rose and they didn't help me figure it out, maybe I didn't wait long enough for someone in game to give me a hint.

Rex vs Ray was cool, although I don't see the point in it from Liquid's perspective. Why not have blown up Rex after you took the rail gun? For that matter, why did Ray show up in the cutscene at the end? Who the hell was piloting it? I smashed that bitch to pieces.

I agree. I actually don't like those little guys at all; why bother with all of the super-bizarre technology when they could have just put in a bunch of soldiers? The whole PMC versus Rebels thing was so damned awesome for the rest of the game, seems kinda pointless to throw it away at Shadow Moses.

Vamp's bit took a little while for me to figure out, but the answer was right there all along - the game tells you what the thing does when you get the item. It's kind of like the explosives in the item bag trick the other games pulled. I'd say the problem with this example is just that pulling off CQC against bosses is basically something that never, ever happens; Kojipro stretched too far in assuming we could do so against Vamp of all characters.

Both Rays were mass-production models...ala the 24 on Arsenal (you can tell by the stub tails)...I'm presuming they are the anti-MG forces that come standard with Outer Haven, since Raiden/Solidus eliminate all of Arsenal's lineup. The second Ray is AI powered by GW (as the mass-production models were in MGS2.)

...Which of course makes me wonder what happened to the fully-equipped Marines Ray, which hasn't been seen since the confrontation on the rooftop of Arsenal Gear.

Hero said:
Glad Raiden/Rose/John got a happy ending. Really would've upset me if Campbell was boning Rose for real. Also, did they ever explain in another game or document about Raiden's new body?

A real shame that Naomi killed herself at the end.

Feel mixed about the final fight with Liquid/Liquid Ocelot/Ocelot. It was pretty epic but at the same time all four games boils down to some slug fest?

I want to know what's going on here too. To be honest, I think this is where Kojima's storytelling really started to break up a bit; I mean, they go to so much trouble to explain Raiden's situation...and then it just magically all gets resolved? Who's Madmar? How did Raiden rescue Sunny? I'm assuming because of his ninja-body that it was a tough mission. At the time, I would have bet money that we either would either see some important story about Madmar or actually get to play as Raiden for awhile.

The other thing that really bugged me with Raiden was his relationship with Sunny. Raiden is so quick to act like he's alone, but it was pretty obvious that Sunny absolutely worships him. I suppose that's why the ending doesn't ring very true, either.

I don't really understand why Naomi committed suicide like that either. Her answer seemed pretty much like a cop-out.

Not a fan of the slugfest either...especially how it resets your health to even no matter how good you are at first. :/

Don't get me wrong, I love the game. But Rex vs. Ray really could have been the final battle. The last act pretty much smack's of Lucas' "everybody knows everybody" storywriting where you start to feel that events are sort of contrived for maximum fan reaction.

Three other impressions:

1. Love how they confirmed Darpa Chief = Sigint. Of all the loopbacks, this is the one with a lot of payoff. Makes you think about the hole Baker/Decoy situation...AGAIN.

2. Are there supposed to be other codecs? Seems like gigantic waste of interface to have only two codec frequencies?

3. Maybe it's just me...but the whole Liquid - Ocelot psycho connection based on lineage (his father) thing actually seems like a more plausible idea to me now than the official explanation. Anyone else feel the same way?

Imm0rt4l

^^you mean
DARPA CHIEF=Sigint, Dr. Madnar was from the first metal gear games

tribal24 said:
how the fuck do you beat
vamp help me please

inject the syringe into his neck

it's all down hill from there.

Listening to the soundtrack that comes with the LE and I'm disappointed I've yet heard the song that plays during the first Frogs attack.
Would it be in the complete soundtrack?

Y2Kev

TheWolf said:
um, so what was the part
about Ocelot using self-hypnosis and nanomachines to make himself believe that he was Liquid? seemed like a distinct personality to me.

It's like learning lines for a role in a play. Ocelot learned how Liquid behaved, how he thought, and how he felt (in addition to changing his biometrics), but this was all in an effort to fool the Patriots primarily through acting. Based on how people are insisting that Liquid Ocelot is a real personality, I'd say he did a damn good job.

TheWolf

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
1. Love how they confirmed Baker = Sigint. Of all the loopbacks, this is the one with a lot of payoff. Makes you think about the hole Baker/Decoy situation...AGAIN
you mean
Anderson

It's like learning lines for a role in a play. Ocelot learned how Liquid behaved, how he thought, and how he felt (in addition to changing his biometrics), but this was all in an effort to fool the Patriots primarily through acting. Based on how people are insisting that Liquid Ocelot is a real personality, I'd say he did a damn good job.

quite frankly, that makes no sense.
so i should just ignore the voice change in MGS2? should i ignore the bulging veins that came out of his arm in MGS2? again, Ocelot has no reason for trying to kill Snake or "finish" something at the end of MGS4. why would he try to kill him time and time again throughout MGS4 if his true motive was getting him to upload the virus. why charge him WITH A FUCKING boat when there is no way he could have known that Raiden would free himself and stop the ship.

CoilShot

Greg said:
I'm probably late with this because I haven't read much on the game/trying to stay away from things, but for any of the fights against members of the beauty/beast
once you beat their first form, you can run away from them and they die on their own.
:lol

I didn't know that :lol

OatmealMu

TTP said:
But first you have to bring down his health to 1/4. You cant CQC him otherwise

Really? I used tranq guns exclusively and managed to grab him. Either the game took pity on me or after fully tranquilizing him enough times he's left open.

dagZ

Roxas said:
The last boss
against Ocelot....i have no words, except epic. Fucking Epic. Even the small things like the life gauges looking like they did in MGS1, 2, 3, and then just punching the fuck out of eachother with their last bit of strength. wow.

oddly, that part made me think of the battle between the clone and real pokemon in the first movie. :lol

I'm at what I sincerely hope is the end of this game.

The fist fight against Ocelot has to be the lamest shit ever. This is heightend by the fact that the actual combat is NOTHING like that which was seen in the too long cutscene you had to watch beforehand and the controls are clunky as shit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
SHIT.
Act 5 HELP

Screaming Mantis is kicking my ass... actually... she keeps making Meryl kill herself >< How does I beat her effectively?

How do you perform the punching the PMCs in their precious region like they showed in the Demo? I could sneak up and hold up the PMCs just fine but I couldn't do anything CQC-like to them

Any strategy for the beginning of Act 5, I can't for the life of me get past this. Even if I rambo everybody, they'll just keep coming back so that's pointless.

Kagari said:
SHIT.
Act 5 HELP

Screaming Mantis is kicking my ass... actually... she keeps making Meryl kill herself >< How does I beat her effectively?

Regarding that fight,
tranq Meryl if you need to, but the biggest thing is to hit the yellow glowing doll on the left. Do it several times as the fight will progress, and when it drops go pick it up and use it on Mantis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom