• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kagari said:
SHIT.
Act 5 HELP

Screaming Mantis is kicking my ass... actually... she keeps making Meryl kill herself >< How does I beat her effectively?

Inject yourself with the syringe to break free from Mantis. Then use the tranq gun to free Maryl from Mantis' grip, and then get behind her and grab Maryl in a chokehold and inject her with the syringe like you did with Vamp. Then shoot at Mantis' puppets she has hanging from her arms, grab it, and then use it against Mantis.

I got it! Began playing today, but unfortunately didn't have much time to progress. I already saw the first few hours at my friend's place, but let me tell you.. Experiencing the beginning on my Full-HD Sony Bravia, with proper surround sound... It's just mesmerizing. The presentation, the graphics and the audio - all pure perfection. Can't frickin' wait to play more tomorrow!

Imm0rt4l

Raiden plot holes/spoiler

Do you think Raiden was flesh and bone under the suit? Or was he really just a head and a spine attached to a robotic body/exoskeleton. At the end of the game you see him in his body with many scars that look like they can be attribued to some sort of procedure where his arms were removed, but they could have just been grafted back onto his body after his body was seemingly destroyed. I hear a lot of people attributing this to the fact that he cut his arm off in act 4, but he only cut off one arm, some assume his other arm was lost when he was crushed by outer haven. But if he didn't undergo some sort of body transplant, then why was he missing lower jaw? Snake says that Raiden's body is a machine, but he still has the heart of a man, so I still believe that Raiden prior to the final scene was just a head and a spine, but where is the in game proof? Theres really nothing that alludes to what we've all been saying for months. I'd like to think that there is a codec call you can make that further elaborates on the circumstances in which Raiden's transformation took place, but MGS4 doesn't really have a lot of codec activity at all.

It really would have made sense for him to be a head and spine since Jack had information on the whereabouts of the patriots inside his cerebral cortex, I figured this may have been a selfless sacrifice he may have endured to either track the patriots, or find Sunny. But I also recall that Dr. Madnar supposedly saved Raiden, but no idea how.

I remember someone allegedly posted a pic of Raiden as a head and spine, this was a week prior to MGS4's release so I didn't want to see it(can anybody confirm or deny it's existence?).

"I am Lightning, the rain transformed..."

I remember someone allegedly posted a pic of Raiden as a head and spine, this was prior to MGS4's release so I didn't want to see it(can anybody confirm or deny it's existence?).

Caj814

Kagari said:
SHIT.
Act 5 HELP

Screaming Mantis is kicking my ass... actually... she keeps making Meryl kill herself >< How does I beat her effectively?

When she tries to have Meryl kill herself try to do a CQC grab on her with the Syringe equipped to knock her out for awhile

Highlight below for Screaming Mantis solution

Make sure you shoot the Psycho Mantis doll (if you want a lethal kill or the Sorrow doll for a non lethal.When either doll drops,grab it,equip it and then use it as a weapon to take down her Beast form.Also if you have a Dual Shock 3,make sure the vibration is on :lol

Good luck.

Elios83

Kagari said:
SHIT.
Act 5 HELP

That is most interesting B&B fight, the others have been unexpectedely slow and boring
you have to free yourself from Mantis using the syringe on yourself. Then pick up the railgun and shoot at the puppets. Focus on a puppet at once. Once the puppet falls on the floor, pick it up, equip it as a weapon, use it on Mantis to control her exactly like she did with her victims, basically you have to shake the pad and it's over

Imm0rt4l said:

Do you think Raiden was flesh and bone under the suit? Or was he really just a head and a spine attached to a robotic body/exoskeleton. At the end of the game you see him in his body with many scars that look like they can be attribued to some sort of procedure where his arms were removed, but they could have just been grafted back onto his body after his body was seemingly destroyed. I hear a lot of people attributing this to the fact that he cut his arm off in act 4, but he only cut off one arm, some assume his other arm was lost when he was crushed by outer haven. But if he didn't undergo some sort of body transplant, then why was he missing lower jaw? Snake says that Raiden's body is a machine, but he still has the heart of a man, so I still believe that Raiden prior to the final scene was just a head and a spine, but where is the in game proof? Theres really nothing that alludes to what we've all been saying for months. I'd like to think that there is a codec call you can make that further elaborates on the circumstances in which Raiden's transformation took place, but MGS4 doesn't really have a lot of codec activity at all.

It really would have made sense for him to be a head and spine since Jack had information on the whereabouts of the patriots inside his cerebral cortex, I figured this may have been a selfless sacrifice he may have endured to either track the patriots, or find Sunny. But I also recall that Dr. Madnar supposedly saved Raiden, but no idea how.

I remember someone allegedly posted a pic of Raiden as a head and spine, this was a week prior to MGS4's release so I didn't want to see it(can anybody confirm or deny it's existence?).

"I am Lightning, the rain transformed..."

I remember someone allegedly posted a pic of Raiden as a head and spine, this was prior to MGS4's release so I didn't want to see it(can anybody confirm or deny it's existence?).
When do they mention the information inside his cerebral cortex?

Facism

snack said:
When do they mention the information inside his cerebral cortex?

not sure about the cerebral cortex, but i think at the end of MGS2, Solidus tells Raiden that the only link to the Patriots whereabouts was in his blood or nanos. Memory is fuzzy on that

1stStrike

Banned
Replaying it for the 3rd time. Beat it on Solid Normal, Liquid Easy (to get stealth camo) and now I'm playing it on The Boss Extreme.

Phew. This mode is no joke. Luckily, I have the stealth camo to help me out a bit, but one stray bullet or mistake and you're spotted. They pick up on foot prints and noise a lot quicker than in solid normal.

I'm not looking forward to the boss fights with having only 3 rations available to me. It'll be really rewarding, but really hard :p

Oh and, as for Raiden,
I said it in an earlier post. He still has all the marks on his body from when they did the dialysis. He definitely had skin underneath that suit. They just rebuilt him, like they did to Big Boss.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Act 4 spoilers
I fucking love the moment after you defeat Ray and Ocelot pretends to be killed by FoxDie, then says Gotcha! and runs away on foot. It was like he suddenly channeled Dr. Robotnik/Dr. Wily. :lol

theBishop

Banned
I just have one question about The Patriots:

b2f32a30.gif

traveler

Not Wario
Here's another thing I don't get- what's the deal with
Snake's Foxdie at the end? They said it was responsible for the deaths of EVA, Ocelot, Naomi, etc. but Snake just goes off to live out his final days in peace as if he isn't a walking bomb. And he even has Sunny and Ocelot accompany him. What gives? Did I miss something?

Just finished it, fantastic conclusion to the saga but it isn`t perfect.
I felt that the game never adequately rewarded stealth over combat and that the boss fights were pretty disappointing all around and not very memorable (Except for Psycho Mantis` little appearance "Where`s the memory card?!" :lol

Also the soundtrack was a big disappointment, with only the title theme being particularily memorable (NO CLASSIC THEME AT ALL?!)

The story was 99% perfect though :D It does the impossible and makes the MGS saga make complete sense! Incredible revelations and surprises too (Sigint = DARPA chief, HOLY CRAP! :D) and told almost to perfection. My only disappointment came in the ending, I really wanted to see the very end of Snake`s life and felt kinda cheated at the end (Though having Big Boss himself come back right at the end during the credits was a stroke of genius!)

Overall I`m very happy with how MGS4 turned out, despite some issues. Congratulations Kojima Productions!

1stStrike

Banned
traveler said:
Snake's Foxdie at the end? They said it was responsible for the deaths of EVA, Ocelot, Naomi, etc. but Snake just goes off to live out his final days in peace as if he isn't a walking bomb. And he even has Sunny and Ocelot accompany him. What gives? Did I miss something?

Yes, you missed something. You must've fallen asleep during half the ending sequence with
big boss

123rl

I just finished Act 4...omfg! Highlight of the game so far and I know I've said that every time I finish an Act but this time I really mean it :D That was awesome in a way that I've never seen before in ANY videogame. Ever

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
traveler said:

Yes. Not Naomi. Naomi dies of cancer after she suppresses the nanomachines holding back the disease. Big Boss says that the injection of the NEW foxdie he got from Drebin is replacing the injection from Naomi 10 years ago (Naomi discovered this in her follow up) and that Snake won't turn into a time bomb.

Big Boss tells him (much like Naomi did at the end of MGS1) to live. He's finally earned his freedom. LIVE, SNAKE, LIVE!

This is good. Isn't it?

traveler

Not Wario
Y2Kev said:
Yes. Not Naomi. Naomi dies of cancer after she suppresses the nanomachines holding back the disease. Big Boss says that the injection of the NEW foxdie he got from Drebin is replacing the injection from Naomi 10 years ago (Naomi discovered this in her follow up) and that Snake won't turn into a time bomb.

Big Boss tells him (much like Naomi did at the end of MGS1) to live. He's finally earned his freedom. LIVE, SNAKE, LIVE!

This is good. Isn't it?

So why does he go on to
kill Big Boss anyway if the injection from Drebin neutralized him as a threat?

Y2Kev

traveler said:
So why does he go on to kill
Big Boss anyway if the injection from Drebin neutralized him as a threat?

The new foxdie is programmed to target Liquid (and by extension Big Boss) and EVA.

Maybe you are misunderstanding Naomi's warning. The receptors on the old Foxdie disintegrated, causing the foxdie to target indiscriminately. This problem is nullified with the new injection that has new receptors (and new targets).

-Rogue5-

Caj814 said:
When she tries to have Meryl kill herself try to do a CQC grab on her with the Syringe equipped to knock her out for awhile

Highlight below for Screaming Mantis solution

Make sure you shoot the Psycho Mantis doll (if you want a lethal kill or the Sorrow doll for a non lethal.When either doll drops,grab it,equip it and then use it as a weapon to take down her Beast form.Also if you have a Dual Shock 3,make sure the vibration is on :lol

Good luck.

Whoa whoa... so
sorrow doll is non-lethal? For sure?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
theBishop said:
I just have one question about The Patriots:

b2f32a30.gif
Bolded part makes it so funny :lol

act 1:
this wasn't as exciting as it could have been due to all the footage, but still pretty good.

act 2:
super fucking awesome!!! that house segment, wow... octopus fight was great! tracking naomi!!!

act 3:
wtf is this shit? no, seriously. the absolute worst level, and wow, another on rails chase scene right after the previous act that had the same shit! and then a boss fight that was totally non-threatening...

act 4:
nostalgia made this tolerable, that and rex vs ray. why did naomi kill herself in such a pointless way? lol poor otacon

act 5:
wait, that's it, really? how short was that level!?
and how many other people
turn on a second controller for mantis?
:lol :lol :lol

beauties:
haha people tranq'd them? i used cqc for the win! on all 4 of them! and apparently it accomplised the same thing :D

overall:
i wish there was more .. gameplay .. it was all downhill after act 2, but i still enjoyed it, and it was worth $60

Y2Kev

traveler said:
Ahh ok. That explains it then. And
Big Boss was ok with this?

As he says, everything must be reset. As long as there exists Zero :D Big Boss is like Moses, lawl. Leads his people to the promised land but can't enter it. His realization of The Boss' vision at the end of MGS4 is him accepting death so that snake can finally enjoy the freedom he thought he was fighting for in Outer Heaven and Zanzibarland.

1stStrike

Banned
Oh and, for the record, I thought the OST for MGS4 was pretty good. You have to use the ipod too..having The Best is Yet to Come playing while you're running through a war zone with explosions all around and bullets whizzing by is pretty amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
The Faceless Master said:
act 3:
wtf is this shit? no, seriously. the absolute worst level, and wow, another on rails chase scene right after the previous act that had the same shit! and then a boss fight that was totally non-threatening...
WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

1stStrike

Banned
-Rogue5- said:
Whoa whoa... so
sorrow doll is non-lethal? For sure?

The mantis doll will grab living people and the sorrow doll will grab dead people. Mantis doesn't work on you if you're dead and sorrow doesn't work on you if you're living. Unless I somehow missed something in all the times I shot people with the sorrow doll to see if it'd work on them.

Yoshichan

The Faceless Master said:
beauties:
haha people tranq'd them? i used cqc for the win! on all 4 of them! and apparently it accomplised the same thing :D
How the fuck do you CQC them?

1stStrike

Banned
theBishop said:
Heh, I wanted to participate in this thread, but i'm 90% through MGS2 and still have to beat MGS3 before I can join the party.

You're going to really enjoy MGS4. I went back through all the games before MGS4 came out and it was that much more powerful for me. A lot of things I had forgotten about were drudged back up in my mind, so I went into it fresh.

Facism

Seiken said:
How the fuck do you CQC them?

whenever they grabbed me, the ! showed up and i pressed triangle to throw them over my shoulder for like 1/4 psyche gauge hit.

You're brother off the ps3 yet? MGO clan creation awaits ;p

Yoshichan

Facism said:
whenever they grabbed me, the ! showed up and i pressed triangle to throw them over my shoulder for like 1/4 psyche gauge hit.

You're brother off the ps3 yet? MGO clan creation awaits ;p
Oh... no I thought you were using CQC against their beast form :lol

Sorry, brother is still playing :(

Roko

Imm0rt4l said:

You could also see the scars where the bottom of his jaw had been reattached. My thoughts are that he became cyborg for a mission and his limbs were stashed so that they could be reattached after the mission was complete. Of course, that's all speculation on my part. I'm with you in that he was primarily machine. He did, however, live up to his billing as the tragic figure that Kojima wanted him to be in this outing to win over those who hated him in MGS2. In fact, the only unanswered question out of MGS4 (for me) is "WTF happened to Raiden?" Maybe we'll find out in another game.

Yoshichan

Roko said:
You could also see the scars where the bottom of his jaw had been reattached. My thoughts are that he became cyborg for a mission and his limbs were stashed so that they could be reattached after the mission was complete. Of course, that's all speculation on my part. I'm with you in that he was primarily machine. He did, however, live up to his billing as the tragic figure that Kojima wanted him to be in this outing to win over those who hated him in MGS2. In fact, the only unanswered question out of MGS4 (for me) is "WTF happened to Raiden?" Maybe we'll find out in another game.
Metal Gear Raiden confirmed?

Hero

More thoughts now that I've had time to let the ending sink in (warning, wall of text incoming):

Kojima wins. I played through MGS1,2, and 3 and took away experiences from each.

MGS1 was one of the most entertaining and fun games back in the era where most of the stuff pumped out was shit in comparison. It was one of the first games to show that they could rival movies in terms of story and characters.

MGS2 was more of a technical accomplishment and I despised it for the weird story and absolute abandonment of any realism from the first game's continuity. However to me the lengthy cutscenes were just too much and left a sour taste in my mouth like many others.

MGS3 seemed to have gone back to the MGS1 formula with more gameplay than cutscenes and by the end of the game The Boss became one of my favorite characters of all time. The whole game I had wondered why she had gone evil and betrayed her country but during the ultimate reveal in the end I felt bittersweet about my/Naked Snake's triumph over her.

And with MGS4, I truly felt that everything from the first three games had come together beautifully (for the most part!). Kojima definitely used the fan's knowledge of the characters from the older games against them.

Raiden, who I did not really connect with due to his character, sought answers and justification to his existence. His constant self-sacrifice to stop the Patriots made me respect him greatly by the end of the game. The part where he was barely holding the ship back to allow Snake to get away had me upset at first since it was Gray Fox all over again. But when you saw his broken cybornetic body sinking into the water with the audio of his and Rose's conversation from MGS2, it really made me empathize with his character. To me, it seemed like despite how often he refuted his feelings for Rose and how he had nothing to live for, in what I suspected were his dying moments, he was thinking about her made me feel the regret that people might feel at the end of their life. The nagging doubts, the 'What if's", the "What could've been." Seeing him at the end with his new family made me smile since all the characters in MGS games have been so tragic that very few of them, if any, ever got to be happy.

Meryl went from being an insecure girl to an independent, mature young woman. It was cool to see her again, though her role kind of pilfered on at the end. During the fight with Mantis I was dreading the fact that since it was like MGS1 all over again this time she might actually bite the bullet. Like I said earlier, I didn't care for Akiba/Johnny but it was nice to see that they got to be together in the end. How she finally warmed up to Campbell was nice too, since it seemed she had to come to terms with everything that happened.

Otacon was a mixed bag. It was nice to see that he had grown and matured himself as well since the first game, but during the whole Naomi thing I felt like he had regressed, although that may have been more to do with the voice actor playing the part poorly. His dedication and loyalty to Snake was impressive, as he was one of the few people who stuck with Snake to the end, no matter what. And when he explained to Sunny that "Snake....had a hard life." I couldn't help but feel torn.

Finally, Solid Snake. We saw him evolve from a mercenary to a hero and the iconic character for the series. Kojima played this very well, with having 'Old Snake' from the beginning, the audience/players are shown how Snake is struggling with his own body now. Throughout the entire game we're shown how he's fallen from MGS1/2 with how his body is literally being destroyed with each passing moment. And hearing the other characters talk about him or his condition just really killed on the inside. All these games Snake is fighting the good fight, for the greater good. We've seen him shot, captured, tortured, beaten to a pulp, and barely alive crawling on his stomach. And for what? He doesn't really have a family. He has no one to 'love' anymore. He wants to clean up the mess that had been handed down to him from the old regime. His constant self-sacrifice in adversity was truly heroic, especially in how he never gave up or ran away. The part in the ending where Snake put the pistol to his mouth was one of the most heart-wrenching scenes I've seen, in any media. How he saved the world time after time again for not even a 'Thank you' and to see him want to end his life, once more to save other people's lives, alone in a cemetery...it was just depressing. But when Big Boss unveils the last few truths of Foxdie/Foxalive, he's finally freed and redeemed. For the first time, Solid Snake can have a life of his own with the chance to possibly experience happiness.

MGS4 isn't a perfect game, but for this game alone I purchased a Playstation 3 and it was worth it for the experience and to see the conclusion to the Metal Gear Solid storyline.

So thank you, Mr. Kojima, for the wonderful, though often confusing story, and for some of the best characters ever.

Y2Kev

Seiken said:
Metal Gear Raiden confirmed?
The unanswered question is what happened to Raiden between MGS2 and 4. There is a ridakliz number of areas they could explore. Helping EVA and getting Sunny back will be the fifth game, I'm almost sure of it. It's intentionally left vague.

It's going to be an action game with Murata directing, ZOE2 style.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Y2Kev said:
The unanswered question is what happened to Raiden between MGS2 and 4. There is a ridakliz number of areas they could explore. Helping EVA and getting Sunny back will be the fifth game, I'm almost sure of it. It's intentionally left vague.

It's going to be an action game with Murata directing, ZOE2 style.

*fapfapfapfapfap*

Torquill

Y2Kev said:
The new foxdie is programmed to target Liquid (and by extension Big Boss) and EVA.

Almost. The FOXDIE was programmed to target Ocelot, Big Boss, and EVA, the former Patriots who were trying to take the system down.

traveler said:
Ahh ok. That explains it then. And
Big Boss was ok with this?

Of course he was. That was like, half the point of his entire speech. The evil element must become zero, not one, but zero. They ALL must die. Including himself.

angelfly

My question got buried so I'll ask again. If get an alert and then die and select continue will the previous alert count at the end of the act?

ilikeme

I finished the game.

Many many things concerning both gameplay and story irk me so heavenly much. But I don't really care. I fucking love the game and will start a new run on Big Boss Extreme and try for 0 alert 0 kill. Hard, but fair.
I hope my LE guide arrives soon.........

My emblems: PUMA, GIANT PANDA, CROCODILE, COW, PIG, HYENA, LOBSTER, INCHWORM, FROG, and my title....

"EAGLE"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom