• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

theBishop

Banned
1stStrike said:
You're going to really enjoy MGS4. I went back through all the games before MGS4 came out and it was that much more powerful for me. A lot of things I had forgotten about were drudged back up in my mind, so I went into it fresh.

Did you play MPO too? To what extent does it factor into the MGS lore?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Torquill said:
Almost. The FOXDIE was programmed to target Ocelot, Big Boss, and EVA, the former Patriots who were trying to take the system down.
I thought about this, but I'm not so sure I buy that. Why would they target Big Boss? He's in a coma until the system is already down. And Ocelot....well, sure.

1stStrike

Banned
theBishop said:
Did you play MPO too? To what extent does it factor into the MGS lore?

Yea, I went through MPO. It fits right in (unlike the acid series). It's a direct continuation from MGS3 with you taking up the helm of naked snake again.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
ilikeme said:
My emblems: PUMA, GIANT PANDA, CROCODILE, COW, PIG, HYENA, LOBSTER, INCHWORM, FROG, and my title....

"EAGLE"

BTW, there is no way to check out your emblems from the main menu or something right? Kinda sucks not recalling what you have left to unlock.

Narag

Y2Kev said:
I thought about this, but I'm not so sure I buy that. Why would they target Big Boss? He's in a coma until the system is already down. And Ocelot....well, sure.

Possible failsafe if he did wake up and contacted Snake.

Magnus

jet1911 said:
On my second playthrough. Holy shit @ Cry/Rage/Scream/Laugh bullets. :lol

Just started my replay too; same reaction. Can't wait to test this shit out :lol

Also noticed the
dolls
in my inventory! Hahaha, I've found a new alternative to picking up every single body to dump items out of it. This is faster and more entertaining. :p

1stStrike said:
Yea, cause I've got 6 game saves right now at all my favorite spots in the story.

I just kept saving as new throughout the game. Now I can go back to any point like a chapter in a book. They give you an individual save icon for each checkpoint saved. Brilliant idea.

Farnack

Banned
1stStrike said:
Yea, cause I've got 6 game saves right now at all my favorite spots in the story.
I got 18. 2 for each beauty, 1 for the other bosses, 1 for each beginning act, 1 before the end, 1 at the end.

And I don't give a crap. 8D

Torquill

Y2Kev said:

An excellent point, but I find pretty much everything in this game breaks down when you start trying to ask questions at that level :p. I'm going to go with "fuck it, we might as well add him to the list too just so we've got all the bases covered." Yes, that's correct, the John Doe AI swears.

Farnack

Banned
Magnus said:
Also noticed the
dolls
in my inventory! Hahaha, I've found a new alternative to picking up every single body to dump items out of it. This is faster and more entertaining. :p
Yeah, the
dolls
are definitely the best weapon ever.

More innovative than the portal and gravity gun combined.

traveler

Not Wario
Farnack said:
Yeah, the
dolls

:/

test_account said:
Just a quick question, is it possible to run and gun throughout the whole game or does some missions require you to sneak or else you will fail?

Some parts will be more difficult, (while most will be easier) but, yeah, you can do it throughout most of the game. (One section in Act 3 will pretty much necessitate stealth.)

Torquill said:
An excellent point, but I find pretty much everything in this game breaks down when you start trying to ask questions at that level :p
since the series ushers its fans to ask such questions, we have a right to. for me, the answers either not being there or being too far of a stretch, or even just vague, ended up ruining the web of plot they spun for mgs4 ; /

i really wanted to like it, too

jvalioli

Y2Kev said:
Snake wasn't planning on killing Big Boss if he got to the body before Liquid. It would have been a lot better for the Patriots if Big Boss was dead, since his DNA can't be used to access the system unless he is alive.

test_account

XP-39C²
traveler said:
Some parts will be more difficult, (while most will be easier) but, yeah, you can do it throughout most of the game. (One section in Act 3 will pretty much necessitate stealth.)
Ok, but is it possible to run and gun all the way through? I mean, will you get "mission failed" or something if you fire a bullet or get detected in a mission?

traveler

Not Wario
test_account said:
Ok, but is it possible to run and gun all the way through? I mean, will you get "mission failed" or something if you fire a bullet or get detected in a mission?

No, nothing like that.

Farnack said:
Yeah, the
dolls

So do these new weapons appear after the beginning portion of the game? Because I didn't see them when I started a new game.

traveler

Not Wario
MoonsaultSlayer said:
So do these new weapons appear after the beginning portion of the game? Because I didn't see them when I started a new game.

After you get the Mk II. (and make you sure you loaded your old save instead of starting a new game)

jvalioli said:
Snake wasn't planning on killing Big Boss if he got to the body before Liquid. It would have been a lot better for the Patriots if Big Boss was dead, since his DNA can't be used to access the system unless he is alive.
so why wouldn't the system kill him in his coma state, since it's directly linked to his state of being?

test_account

XP-39C²
traveler said:
No, nothing like that.
Ok, thanks for the info! :) I havnt played MGS 1, 2 and 3 yet so i'm waiting to really play MGS 4 single player (i have only tested it for about 5-10 minutes or so) until i finished MGS 1, 2 and 3 so i will be able to follow the story (or maybe i will just read through the MGS 1, 2 and 3 story on the internet, i dont know) :) So far i'm playing Metal Gear Online :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
jvalioli said:
That answers that!

zombi

Has there been any word on the integral podcast schedule? Now that KPR is on hiatus I cant wait till the next. Its such a cool idea too, bring us back into it every so often.

theultimo

test_account said:
Ok, thanks for the info! :) I havnt played MGS 1, 2 and 3 yet so i'm waiting to really play MGS 4 single player (i have only tested it for about 5-10 minutes or so) until i finished MGS 1, 2 and 3 so i will be able to follow the story (or maybe i will just read through the MGS 1, 2 and 3 story on the internet, i dont know) :) So far i'm playing Metal Gear Online :)
If you read through the story it will help a lot. However, if you do have a chance to play through them before starting MGS4, I would do so. It makes the whole game so much more fulfilling.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I'm not reading this thread due to potential spoiler exposure, so this may be old:

In cut scenes if you shake the sixaxis the octocamo deactivates. :D I love Kojima.

jvalioli

Mr. Spinnington said:
so why wouldn't the system kill him in his coma state, since it's directly linked to his state of being?
These are just guesses: I imagine there is a system in place that prevents the AIs from directly killing the founding members the same way that the system isn't able to deny any of the founders access. That is sort of how it works in a lot of Sci-Fi advanced AI movies. :lol

Dead said:
It's an experience

All I know is that it took me a little under twenty hours to beat the game on Solid Normal and I imagine that about twelve of those hours were spent watching the game, not playing it. I beat that game something like an hour and a half ago and I'm still watching it, wtf! I get that the Metal Gear Solids are story driven experiences but this game was Xenosaga like in its absurdly long cutscenes.

test_account

XP-39C²
theultimo said:
If you read through the story it will help a lot. However, if you do have a chance to play through them before starting MGS4, I would do so. It makes the whole game so much more fulfilling.
Ok, thanks for the info! :) I still need to buy Metal Gear Solid 1 and 3 (so far i only own MGS 2 and 4), but i'm sometimes lazy with things like this so i dont know when i will get around to buy the games and play them :\

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
shantyman said:
I'm not reading this thread due to potential spoiler exposure, so this may be old:

In cut scenes if you shake the sixaxis the octocamo deactivates. :D I love Kojima.

It's not just the cut scenes. ;)

traveler

Not Wario
Random question:
is there any significance to Little Grey? I remember pressing the flashback button once in a scene with him and seeing an old photo of the Patriots/Philosophers with a monkey.

jvalioli said:
These are just guesses: I imagine there is a system in place that prevents the AIs from directly killing the founding members the same way that the system isn't able to deny any of the founders access. That is sort of how it works in a lot of Sci-Fi advanced AI movies. :lol
jesus, some of the components in this game's plot are just so vague.
the AI
makes little to no sense as an entity alone, outside of the fact that
it created a war economy based on how it was programmed to act

but that shift was supposed to be
a glitch in the system anyway
? really now, let's talk about telling a convincing story before we just go all willy nilly with making things happen for the sake of a tidy end

-Rogue5-

I found something cool in Act IV:
After you go into Hal's old office and come out, there's Gekko that comes through the roof... If you use the Mk.III you can go to the switchboard that you blew up in MGS, and turn on the electric floor back on to fry him.
Kojima, you sexy minx.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jaundicejuice said:
All I know is that it took me a little under twenty hours to beat the game on Solid Normal and I imagine that about twelve of those hours were spent watching the game, not playing it. I beat that game something like an hour and a half ago and I'm still watching it, wtf! I get that the Metal Gear Solids are story driven experiences but this game was Xenosaga like in its absurdly long cutscenes.

Beating a game like MGS4 is not playing all of it.

Everdred

test_account said:
I have a question, is it possible to run and gun throughout the whole game or does some missions require you to sneak or else you will fail?
I was run and gun the whole game except for Act 3 when your basically forced to.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
-Rogue5- said:
After you go into Hal's old office and come out, there's Gekko that comes through the roof... If you use the Mk.III you can go to the switchboard that you blew up in MGS, and turn on the electric floor back on to fry him.
Kojima, you sexy minx.

How's that a discovery? Otacon tells u to do that.

Jtrizzy

On my second playthrough...I love the gun customization so much. M4 w/Laser/Scope/flashlight/grenade is so awesome. I'm loving the gameplay so much on my second play since I'm not having to rush through to get to the cut scenes.

What's the deal with the place where you can enter a password? It's in the extras section where you download camo/podcasts/music.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Jtrizzy said:
On my second playthrough...I love the gun customization so much. M4 w/Laser/Scope/flashlight/grenade is so awesome. I'm loving the gameplay so much on my second play since I'm not having to rush through to get to the cut scenes.

What's the deal with the place where you can enter a password? It's in the extras section where you download camo/podcasts/music.

Konami will release passwords to download stuff.

-Rogue5- said:
Kojima, you sexy minx.

Actually...

The control tutorial covers this EXACT situation, with a little illustration of the floor electrifying. Considering it's the only place in the game I can think of where you can do it, the fact they added it to the control descriptions is a little crazy. :lol

Gribbix

traveler said:
Random question:
is there any significance to Little Grey? I remember pressing the flashback button once in a scene with him and seeing an old photo of the Patriots/Philosophers with a monkey.

He's presumably called Little Grey because of his resemblance to this old photo that conspiracy theorists claim is an alien.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom