• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtrizzy

So I played around in Act two for almost 2.5 hours last night. The level design on that board is incredible. There is so much stuff I missed on my first play through. I'm also getting better with the controls, and am just having sooo much fun with the tricked out M4 and having all of the weapons unlocked except the super expensive ones.

I don't know if I have the patience to acquire the stealth camo, I might just dowload someone else's game save.

JCtheMC

First time i've played through any of the MGS games, and i must say i'm feeling quite LTTP.

Best looking game i've seen so far this gen; character design and animation is fantastic and really gives the character a soul, production values for everything are through the roof, cinematography for the cutscenes is excellent.. i could go on and on about all the things this game does right... my gripes at this point are nitpicking, but i do feel the game could've do with a little more open ended gameplay in the later acts, and it could've been a little longer. In the end, if you practice enough, this is a 5 to 6 hour game... i'd prefer it to be balanced more evenly with the amount of cutscenes (which are 9 hours in length i guess?). Overall it was amazing introduction to the MGS franchise for me. Maybe i'll go back and give Subsistence a go though, Big Boss is well versed in the art of badassery so it seems.

First i'll try and complete 4 without any kills or alerts.. which seems virtually impossible without a guide... (spoilers for all acts)
Parts like the ride on Drebins APC, the bike chase, the encounter at the river in act 3 are too fucking difficult to get through without accidental kills. Also, i can´t wait for youtube video's of the first part of act 5. i eventually run & gunned through it, but my god, those respawning frogs are brutal. Incapacitating the Gekko is the least of my worries there. Not getting an alert just seems impossible

Quick question: Which gun/ammo is non-lethal besides the MkII pistol and the Sniper Rifle?

JCtheMC said:
Quick question: Which gun/ammo is non-lethal besides the MkII pistol and the Sniper Rifle?
you can look through ammo types in drebin's shop. those in blue are non-lethal and as well should display which weapons they're compatible with

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
snack said:
Question:
Can someone explain Big Boss' role in the system? I don't quite understand how he is the key to it?

He was the co-founder of the Patriots with Zero. It was created in response to the events following MGS3. Basically, Zero and Big Boss wanted to continue The Boss' legacy through the name of the Patriots, but they later started disagreeing on how to run the Patriots which began the events started in Metal Gear through MGS4.

reilo said:
He was the co-founder of the Patriots with Zero. It was created in response to the events following MGS3. Basically, Zero and Big Boss wanted to continue The Boss' legacy through the name of the Patriots, but they later started disagreeing on how to run the Patriots which began the events started in Metal Gear through MGS4.

I think he means physically within the AI system. I was a bit confused by this as well.

lunlunqq

Big-E said:
About the boss fights,
we can use lethal means on the first part of the battle? Jesus christ. Taking out Wolf and Rage with stun grenades an the tranq gun was hard especially for rage. Tranq does like no damage to her.

No, you shouldn't use lethal weapons in both parts. You get additional rewards for doing that. You have to find the reward on the battle field after the first phase of the battle.

reilo said:
I am talking about in the AI system. Like what does his body act as. How is he used to access the system? And why was he built into the system as a vegetable?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
DoctorWho said:
I think he means physically within the AI system. I was a bit confused by this as well.

Besides creating the system with Zero? Nothing, I suppose. He was just the driving force behind wanting to get rid of the AI system after he realized what it evolved into.

Farnack

Banned
JCtheMC said:
Shotty with stun rounds or the
solar gun.

I seriously don't know how one can beat the Crying Wolf without alerts or health. It's just crazy.

djkimothy

Crazymoogle said:
He suggests that it could happen, but he doesn't connect the dots on how you would make it happen. Now, that tutorial bit on the other hand...

with respect to this....

I panicked, shot at the gekko's legs and high tailed it across the hall into the other room. Then Otacon codec'ed me telling me to use the Mk. III to activate the floor. Funny since I was already in the room. Whatever, gekko dead.

Shit those things scare me. :(

Anyways, I'm almost done, I'm at the Liquid/Solid Virtua Fighter fight (I'm assuming I'm at the end) and he's kicking my ass. I'll continue this tomorrow. Getting to that point was hell on Big Boss Hard on my first play through. :( Infiltrating Outer Haven was not nice, getting into high alert meant I either had to suicide or reload the game to start over. The Alert never goes away.

Magnus

Farnack said:
Yeah, the
dolls
are definitely the best weapon ever.

More innovative than the portal and gravity gun combined.

wut :( I didn't mean that at all, haha. They're just fun toys to use here.

Big Boss extreme is kicking my ass. I am stuck at
laughing Octupus.
Ive have about 8 stun granades, 8 rounds of the rifle and 40 mk2 ammo. This will take a while.
For those of you going for big boss emblem,
before you start extreme make sure you fill up on non lethal ammo. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PURCHASE NON LETHAL WEAPONS. I dont know if you can use the bandana either.

Just a quick question about the music of the game (big spoiler though)...

is the track that plays while naomi kills herself on the ost? i know its basically an orchestrated version of the track that played in mgs1 when sniper wolf died, but i'm not sure which one it is....thanks gaffers

djkimothy

krackerjack said:
Just a quick question about the music of the game (big spoiler though)...

is the track that plays while naomi kills herself on the ost? i know its basically an orchestrated version of the track that played in mgs1 when sniper wolf died, but i'm not sure which one it is....thanks gaffers

I don't think it's on the OST provided on the LE copy.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Toonami 99 said:
Big Boss extreme is kicking my ass. I am stuck at
laughing Octupus.
Ive have about 8 stun granades, 8 rounds of the rifle and 40 mk2 ammo. This will take a while.
For those of you going for big boss emblem,
before you start extreme make sure you fill up on non lethal ammo. YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO PURCHASE NON LETHAL WEAPONS. I dont know if you can use the bandana either.

No special items are allowed. I believe the
Solar Gun
is ok. I'm at the
Frog fight with Meryl
right now, I'll see what it says after the chapter ends to double check.

Also, stun grenade launcher helps, too. I got to a point where all I had to watch out for with her was her rolling, so I stayed near cover/ledges/a window for that part. She's mostly about patience, persistence, and not messing up.

Farnack said:
solar gun.

I seriously don't know how one can beat the Crying Wolf without alerts or health. It's just crazy.

Not that hard, really. NV on obviously helps. You can get most of the
guards from the get go with the Mosin, then there's a few on the far left, a few on the Comm Tower, and a few in the trees/that shelter building. Clear them out, and she's pie.

schild

This sort of game is the reason I don't understand how people can like things like Halo.

A total masterpiece. Hops into my Top 10 joining the likes of Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Portal, FF6, Link to the Past, Mario 3, etc. Too lazy to list anymore. Must play again.

AmMortal

Banned
schild said:
This sort of game is the reason I don't understand how people can like things like Halo.

A total masterpiece. Hops into my Top 10 joining the likes of Planescape: Torment, Deus Ex, Portal, FF6, Link to the Past, Mario 3, etc. Too lazy to list anymore. Must play again.

You.Are.So.Right.

1stStrike

Banned
JCtheMC said:
First time i've played through any of the MGS games, and i must say i'm feeling quite LTTP.

Best looking game i've seen so far this gen; character design and animation is fantastic and really gives the character a soul, production values for everything are through the roof, cinematography for the cutscenes is excellent.. i could go on and on about all the things this game does right... my gripes at this point are nitpicking, but i do feel the game could've do with a little more open ended gameplay in the later acts, and it could've been a little longer. In the end, if you practice enough, this is a 5 to 6 hour game... i'd prefer it to be balanced more evenly with the amount of cutscenes (which are 9 hours in length i guess?). Overall it was amazing introduction to the MGS franchise for me. Maybe i'll go back and give Subsistence a go though, Big Boss is well versed in the art of badassery so it seems.

First i'll try and complete 4 without any kills or alerts.. which seems virtually impossible without a guide... (spoilers for all acts)
Parts like the ride on Drebins APC, the bike chase, the encounter at the river in act 3 are too fucking difficult to get through without accidental kills. Also, i can´t wait for youtube video's of the first part of act 5. i eventually run & gunned through it, but my god, those respawning frogs are brutal. Incapacitating the Gekko is the least of my worries there. Not getting an alert just seems impossible

Act 5, part 1 is really easy. I did it on the first try. First,
incapacitate the frogs around your starting position. then, go up the stairs and then drop down at the end of the balcony. go up the nearest ladder and crawl across that part, then climb down. press up against the wall by the crates and inch your way through. knock out the 3 frogs up ahead, crawl up to them and wait..the gecko by the door will get blown up. wait for the other one to face the other direction, then sneak up to the door and quickly mash triangle and run through.

Remy

No kill finishes are possible; I did it on Solid Normal without too much effort for my first run-through. Hell, it may be easier than in previous games. For those of you struggling with no-kill finishes:

There's four weapons you should cycle between:

One, the Mk.22, which you have when you start. Surprisingly good at mid to long range, and it comes pre-silenced..
Two, the Mosin-Nagant: necessary for long range shots and the Crying Wolf boss fight. Careful, though - no silencer.
Three, a shotgun. Why a shotgun? Because there's a tranquilizer-style ammo for shotguns, called V-Ring. It didn't appear to me in Drebin's Shop until I purchased a shotgun. It's pretty critical for crowd control situations. I bought both the M870 Custom and the Double Barrel; the M870 has a larger clip but the Double Barrel reloads faster.
Four, stun grenades. Again: crowd control.

As an optional fifth, you could always use the Sleep Grenade Traps, but...yeah, who has time for traps?

Also, anything that's not human - i.e., the two forms of Geckos - can be taken out without adding to your kill count. Which means you can go in guns blazing for most (but not all) of Act 4.

schild

AmMortal said:
You.Are.So.Right.

I.know.rite.

Also, I hated all the other Metal Gears. And I'm glad I did. This one ties everything up in such a nice little bow. And Kojima learned how to tell a fucking story. And I didn't have to fight the controls. And omg ps3 loading game now.

djkimothy

krackerjack said:
ohhh really? do you know the name of the track??

Unfortunatley I don't cause I don't remember the tune. lol But I definitely recall it not being on the soundtrack provided by the LE. Do you have a linki of the tune that would clue me in?

djkimothy said:
with respect to this....

I panicked, shot at the gekko's legs and high tailed it across the hall into the other room. Then Otacon codec'ed me telling me to use the Mk. III to activate the floor. Funny since I was already in the room. Whatever, gekko dead.

Ah, well I guess there was another codec call where he gets even more clear?
(I was crazy enough to save up for the M82, simply because I wanted a reliable way to kill Gekko's. Its a great gun for bosses too...)

reilo said:
Besides creating the system with Zero? Nothing, I suppose. He was just the driving force behind wanting to get rid of the AI system after he realized what it evolved into.
I am wondering what purpose does his body serve as being a biomort at the center of the system? Also, how exactly is his genetics used in the system?

1stStrike

Banned
Farnack said:
solar gun.

Patience. You need to stay aware of your environment and make your shots count. I used the sniper tranq and did head shots on her, while staying very low to the ground. The solid eye is a huge help.

AmMortal

Banned
schild said:
I.know.rite.

Also, I hated all the other Metal Gears. And I'm glad I did. This one ties everything up in such a nice little bow. And Kojima learned how to tell a fucking story. And I didn't have to fight the controls. And omg ps3 loading game now.

Nice man.

The thing is , most of us who like Metal Gear games, are 17+.

Individuals who like HALO over MGS4 anyday, are usually younger, or just play what their friends play, in order to "fit in". Maybe that's why there were so many messed up conversations over on XBL with HALO

djkimothy

Crazymoogle said:
Ah, well I guess there was another codec call where he gets even more clear?
(I was crazy enough to save up for the M82, simply because I wanted a reliable way to kill Gekko's. Its a great gun for bosses too...)

are you serious? I could never gather enough points for the M82 since it's so expensive and I don't accrue that much points. It might be the difficulty setting I'm in (Big Boss hard). Either way, I usually sneak past gekkos or shoot their legs if I'm desperate to get past them. Where do you hit it with the M82?

SnakeXs

Remy said:
Also, anything that's not human - i.e., the two forms of Geckos - can be taken out without adding to your kill count. Which means you can go in guns blazing for most (but not all) of Act 4.[/spoiler]

Yep, but at the same time, that which I expected to be easiest on my no kill/alert run ended up being the "hardest" for me. :lol

Farnack

Banned
SnakeXs said:
Not that hard, really. NV on obviously helps. You can get most of the
guards from the get go with the Mosin, then there's a few on the far left, a few on the Comm Tower, and a few in the trees/that shelter building. Clear them out, and she's pie.
Oh yeah real easy if they didn't have the sight range of like a mile.

God damn getting onto the towers without getting spotted by some random patrol was hard enough on big boss hard.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
SnakeXs said:
Yep, but at the same time, that which I expected to be easiest on my no kill/alert run ended up being the "hardest" for me. :lol
Damn, doing both at the same time will be kinda hard for me :(

SnakeXs

djkimothy said:
are you serious? I could never gather enough points for the M82 since it's so expensive and I don't accrue that much points. It might be the difficulty setting I'm in (Big Boss hard). Either way, I usually sneak past gekkos or shoot their legs if I'm desperate to get past them. Where do you hit it with the M82?

Dead center in the "nose" should be 1 shot, 2 to anywhere on the head should bring them down.

That said, prices, and how much money you GET doesn't really change difficulty wise.

schild

AmMortal said:
Nice man.

The thing is , most of us who like Metal Gear games, are 17+.

Individuals who like HALO over MGS4 anyday, are usually younger, or just play what their friends play, in order to "fit in". Maybe that's why there were so many messed up conversations over on XBL with HALO

I'm on the road to 30. All of the 3D Metal Gears came out after I was 17. I just never figured out how games like Deus Ex or Call of Duty 1 could exist and somehow people still liked Halo. The MGS stuff was just too clunky and there were too many other games I cared about. I own them all a couple times over - mostly for art. Particularly my Subistence limited boxes (*hug*), but this is the first one that grabbed me from the getgo.

Also, I beat this in one sitting. I haven't slept in 30 hours.

Also, I'm in the top 100 in two of the MGO formats (as of 20 hours ago, I was in the 38 in Base and 42 in Cap, I highly suspect that's dropped). But I did get level 4 and max out 2 abilities in 10 hours. I played online for 10 hours before going into the actual SP game. Probably why I tore my way through it.

djkimothy said:

Yeah.
I know the 200k was crazy, but I managed to scrounge up enough by the time I arrived at Shadow Moses. It takes out Gekko legs in one shot and kills the CPU in 2-4 shots depending on how well you aim. (I would say 3 shots usually, tap a leg and then tap the CPU on the head twice. But to be safe you'll want to hit both legs, as the CPU seems to be even more vulnerable that way.)

The 50 cal ammo is a bit pricey but much cheaper than rockets, and its basically a sniper rifle that does heavy damage (hence the S rank on damage) against Wolf and Raven. I also used it as a stand in for the railgun in the big Gekko fight, though I can't recommend using it there often as the Gekkos usually won't show you the vulnerable part of their legs. You would need to probably take the pentazemin and then snipe the CPUs directly.

AmMortal

Banned
schild said:
I'm on the road to 30. All of the 3D Metal Gears came out after I was 17. I just never figured out how games like Deus Ex or Call of Duty 1 could exist and somehow people still liked Halo. The MGS stuff was just too clunky and there were too many other games I cared about. I own them all a couple times over - mostly for art. Particularly my Subistence limited boxes (*hug*), but this is the first one that grabbed me from the getgo.

Also, I beat this in one sitting. I haven't slept in 30 hours.

Also, I'm in the top 100 in two of the MGO formats. I played online for 10 hours before going into the actual SP game. Probably why I tore my way through it.

You see.. MGS is for individuals expecting more from their medium.

schild

1stStrike said:
Oh yea, the best way to kill geckos is a lvl 3 charged rail gun. 1 shot 1 kill in the head.

Actually, you can shoot them anywhere above the knees.

You see.. MGS is for individuals expecting more from their medium.

Let's not kid ourselves. Before 4, the storytelling was badly paced and nearly incoherent. The controls were obtuse and inaccessible to PC gamers, and basically, yea, it didn't curve like Splinter Cell did. MGS4 however is superior to Splinter Cell (any of them) in every way. This game is truly an opus. People can say the last 5 (if you count ops and ops +, or 7 if youc ount the 2 ACiDS) were masterpieces. But really, they weren't. Not compared to this. This is a masterpiece and Kojima should off himself lest he kill us all with something more amazing. Snatcher, plz.

AmMortal

Banned
schild said:
Actually, you can shoot them anywhere above the knees.

Let's not kid ourselves. Before 4, the storytelling was badly paced and nearly incoherent. The controls were obtuse and inaccessible to PC gamers, and basically, yea, it didn't curve like Splinter Cell did. MGS4 however is superior to Splinter Cell (any of them) in every way. This game is truly an opus. People can say the last 5 (if you count ops and ops +, or 7 if youc ount the 2 ACiDS) were masterpieces. But really, they weren't. Not compared to this. This is a masterpiece and Kojima should off himself lest he kill us all with something more amazing. Snatcher, plz.

yeah, couldn't agree more. Snatcher FTW

I never played it, but just looking at the artwork- looks awesome.

Also, now that I think about it, did you notice how
Snake wears the same outfit as the guy from Snatcher in the Act 3

*Spoiler is about clothes*

schild

You're fucking right I did. And I got a half-staff.

It's supposed to be available for purchase at Drebin's shop. I'm wondering if there are some other restrictions...?

Did not notice. Sigh. 2nd Playthrough I'll get it I guess. Also, a few guns in MP are not available in first playthrough of SP. Not naming them, don't want to bugger with spoiler tags.

Edit: Also, I'm super fucking pissed that the soundtrack doesn't have the two strings songs. I pay $80, I want all the meaningful songs you cheap pricks. /me wanders off to order multidisc soundtrack.

noonche

I don't know what final encounter people are playing, but the one I did had the worst controls and gameplay I've experience in a long long time. Great idea, but a horrible execution and a terrible way to end a game. That said, Act 1 & 2 where absolutely amazing.

schild

alske said:
I don't know what final encounter people are playing, but the one I did had the worst controls and gameplay I've experience in a long long time. Great idea, but a horrible execution and a terrible way to end a game. That said, Act 1 & 2 where absolutely amazing.

I thought it did too. Until I noticed Snake had
special attacks also, and you can press select to learn the controls, I just pounded that, fight took 45 seconds

schild

Oh, might as well list my 3 VERY MINOR GRIPES with the game

1. Framerate jumping. Motherfucker.
2. M4 Custom was the only gun I really used until RPGs and then the railgun. I wish I gave a shit about the rest. It's about all I use in MP also. So it's not really a gripe, I'm just a shallow prick when it comes to guns.
3. Vamp was a second rate ripoff of that creepy fuckass in Heavenly Sword. Yes yes, I know Vamp came first, but the Heavenly Sword fight sort of played out the same way as this one and the other dude was voiced MUCH BETTER and was far more sinister than Vamp. That said - uhmmmmmm, heh - Raiden vs Vamp was better than the HS fight. So there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom