• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Solid 4 |OT| No Place to Hide, No Time for a Legend to FoxDie

Status
Not open for further replies.

noonche

schild said:
I thought it did too. Until I noticed Snake had
special attacks also, and you can press select to learn the controls, I just pounded that, fight took 45 seconds

I know Snake has special attacks. It still sucks. It's terribly executed. It's slow, unresponsive, and you take waaaay too much damage. I haven't been this irritated at a game since the end of God of War.

SnakeXs said:
No special items are allowed. I believe the
Solar Gun
is ok. I'm at the
Frog fight with Meryl
right now, I'll see what it says after the chapter ends to double check.

Also, stun grenade launcher helps, too. I got to a point where all I had to watch out for with her was her rolling, so I stayed near cover/ledges/a window for that part. She's mostly about patience, persistence, and not messing up.

Not that hard, really. NV on obviously helps. You can get most of the
guards from the get go with the Mosin, then there's a few on the far left, a few on the Comm Tower, and a few in the trees/that shelter building. Clear them out, and she's pie.

wish I knew about the
solar gun earlier
, I pretty much screwed myself be starting my next game in extreme and not making a duplicate file so I can work on other diffuclties.

for the statues where are they supposed to be after you defeat the beauties and frogs?

-Rogue5-

Anyone know where to get Chaff G? I've gotten a total of two, but Drebin doesn't sell them for some reason. They make Act IV muuuuch easier.

djkimothy

-Rogue5- said:
Anyone know where to get Chaff G? I've gotten a total of two, but Drebin doesn't sell them for some reason. They make Act IV muuuuch easier.

Heh, I regret wasting them as Act 5 would have been a lot easier if I just had 2 of them. :/

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I think HGW really gets how game music works now. It just seems like his themes are so much more gamey. The Gekko theme is so awesome. Mobs Alive is one of my favs though. Love Theme is awesome (I know it's not him). Father and Son too. Did anyone else really really wish that some of the melodies would just say "fuck it" and go into the MGS theme? Cause they come close at times but never touch the controversial theme. I hate whoever showed Kojima that music. I hope they die.

Something I've noticed is that the sound is not just great sounding, it's engineered well. When you get caught in Act 1 and that little melody comes in (sounds like cellos or something) and then BOWWWWWWWWWWWW (like the guy that goes OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH in that song, lol) really really just rocks a room with a good system.

Here's to You is great, but I don't get why Kojima opted to leave the original names in :lol

Speevy

Banned
I just finished Act 1. I couldn't let a game this big escape me just because I hate sneaking around.

Consequently, I've been playing it like Uncharted on naked normal. I wonder how long I can keep that up.

Y2Kev said:
I think HGW really gets how game music works now. It just seems like his themes are so much more gamey. The Gekko theme is so awesome. Mobs Alive is one of my favs though. Love Theme is awesome (I know it's not him). Father and Son too. Did anyone else really really wish that some of the melodies would just say "fuck it" and go into the MGS theme? Cause they come close at times but never touch the controversial theme. I hate whoever showed Kojima that music. I hope they die.

Something I've noticed is that the sound is not just great sounding, it's engineered well. When you get caught in Act 1 and that little melody comes in (sounds like cellos or something) and then BOWWWWWWWWWWWW (like the guy that goes OHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHH in that song, lol) really really just rocks a room with a good system.

Here's to You is great, but I don't get why Kojima opted to leave the original names in :lol

Yeah the sound design is amazing. I honestly got freaked out
in most of the Human forms of the BB units. I would run towards them and hear windows breaking behind me and then laughing beside me and shit. First time through I freaked out and just started making things explode to end it lololol

Y2Kev

Speevy said:
I just finished Act 1. I couldn't let a game this big escape me just because I hate sneaking around.

Consequently, I've been playing it like Uncharted on naked normal. I wonder how long I can keep that up.

The entire game if you want to. War prices gon' skyrocket. lol.

Love Theme lyrics in english:

Closing my eyes to the sound of gunfire
Uttering a roar
In a flash I am switched into despair
Everything for the one who lives inside the nightmare
Missing from the bottom of my heart

Wishing the world that ran out of tears
The heart is already dead
The hope
Missing until it hurts

noonche

Goddamn this stupid
fist-fight. I want to murder whoever thought this was a good idea. I'm going to take a fucking break and try to remember the fun parts of the game so I won't want to break the goddamn disc in half. It was irritating enough of Naked Normal, but on Big Boss Hard it's a complete and utter nightmare. Fuck whoever came up with this bullshit.

schild

Speevy said:

Through the whole game. On almost every part of every difficulty. Particularly if you're good with the headshots.

Oh, meant to say - the PMCs in MGS4 are not equipped with an SOP AIMBOT whereas the Uncharted mobs are wallhacking fuckass motherfuckers.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So I just beat the game.

IT WAS SO AMAZINGLY EPIC.
Easily one of my most favorite games of all time.

Also, I don't think a video game has brought tears to my eyes so many times before...

Diablos

HOLY SHIT AT THE END OF
ACT 3

Boss battle was amazing. LIQUID IS PURE EVIL! Even Vamp was like "whoa, dude". Naomi and Otacon, what are you doing?!

Whoever thought the kid that pooped his pants would win over Meryl's heart, huahuauhahua

Poor Eva :(

This is seriously one of the best games I've played in, like, ten years. Which is around the time I started playing games again.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Awesome easter egg: (Act 4 spoilers):
During the Vamp/Raiden split screen scene, if you aim and try to shoot at Raiden, Snake won't do it, just like MGS1 and GF.

lordg

Game done! Took me 19 hours and it was crazy cool. There is no game like it.

Though, it's not a perfect, it's definately one of the greatest gaming experience ever. It's sad that it's over now.

Looking forward to Kojima creating a new game that will be as great as the MGS series.

TheWolf

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Yes. Not Naomi. Naomi dies of cancer after she suppresses the nanomachines holding back the disease. Big Boss says that the injection of the NEW foxdie he got from Drebin is replacing the injection from Naomi 10 years ago (Naomi discovered this in her follow up) and that Snake won't turn into a time bomb.

Big Boss tells him (much like Naomi did at the end of MGS1) to live. He's finally earned his freedom. LIVE, SNAKE, LIVE!

This is good. Isn't it?

almost.

he will turn into a timebomb, as the new Foxdie will mutate just like the old one. although, chances are he won't live long enough for that to happen, and the new foxdie will die with Snake.

Y2Kev

TheWolf said:
almost.

he will turn into a timebomb, as the new Foxdie will mutate just like the old one. although, chances are he won't live long enough for that to happen, and the new foxdie will die with Snake.

Well, sure, assuming this FOXDIE is of the same quality of the first.

Roko

Kagari said:
So I just beat the game.

IT WAS SO AMAZINGLY EPIC.
Easily one of my most favorite games of all time.

Also, I don't think a video game has brought tears to my eyes so many times before...

After I finished it I just sat back and appreciated the story and characters that we've been treated to over the years thanks to this series. While I can see more Metal Gear games
(Raiden's story between MGS2 and MGS4, for example) I think we've seen the end of Snake. I was happy to for him to "retire". I don't think it could have been said any better:

"He's had a hard life."

What a journey it's been.

To Kojima and crew: thank you. It's been a blast.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ermac said:
Awesome easter egg: (Act 4 spoilers):
During the Vamp/Raiden split screen scene, if you aim and try to shoot at Raiden, Snake won't do it, just like MGS1 and GF.
GENIUS!!!!

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
btw, i saw a tv commercial for MGS4.

i read a while ago about how Konami wasn't going to advertise on TV or something, so obviously that was false

MercuryLS

Banned
This game just went from great to fucking amazing in Act 3. I can't believe how well Kojima incorporated MGS3 into the overall MGS story. It's as if he planned all this shit out a long time back. Amazing. Everything is getting tied together so nicely. I can't wait to see where the story goes from here.

:bow Kojima :bow

QUESTIONS ABOUT NO ALERT/NO KILL RUN:

Does bringing the beasts down with a regular gun count against me as a kill? Obviously they arent dead yet until they are out of the suit, but i just want to make sure. God i hope it doesnt.

Also, can i get the stun rounds for any shotgun or just one? If so which?

What essential tools should i bring along that i may not realize?

Machines like the gecho and the flying robots with raven dont count right?

What else should i be careful of?

I think the biggest problem with making other games would be
getting rid of Octocamo. I mean, the only way it could be back is if it was to take place after MGS4, but that would suck since after MGS4 you expect peace and change in the world. You don't need something else happening in the story.

That said, I think MGS4:Supplement should be released, but it should be stand alone. It must come with VR missions, but the main draw should be new story bits that add to what was referenced but left out in MGS4. Raiden working for Big Mama and other missions starring Raiden. Classic Big Boss missions after PO occured. Random other things. Only thing I don't want to happen is them letting you play as The Boss. The Boss should be off limits when it comes to playing as her.

i'm ten hours in and i like this game, but really, they could cut 3/4 of the dialogue and cutscenes and it wouldn't change a thing. they explain and explain and explain and i don't want to play anymore. it kills the drama, if there is any drama

the gameplay's pretty good but not much more than the other games as far i noticed. i don't know how it's revolutionary, maybe it gets better? i feel like the environments are too linear; maybe it'll give me two paths at sometime like after the power plant, but other than that it's not alot. i'd rather make my own route through the forest instead of it feeling so scripted

presentation and graphics and all that is top notch though. cut scenes are far above anything i've ever seen in a game, like a movie almost.

i like it, but i don't know if it's the game of the decade or century or whatever. maybe of the year and of the series, but i don't think it's that groundbreaking. just a great finale to an awesome series

tanod

when is my burrito
This is probably the first Metal Gear game that I can sit and enjoy the cutscenes the second time through.

With the exception of Heavenly Sword, no game has come remotely close in story presentation to MGS4.

Someone please answer this question about the plot. I am confused about a major plot point.

I am wondering what purpose does Big Boss' body serve as being a biomort at the center of the system? Also, how exactly is his genetics used in activation the system? I understand what role Big Boss played in the Patriots while he was conscious, but I don't understand what his purpose is when he is a biomort at the heart of the system. What does he do? What is his body for? How is his body used to activate the system?

tanod said:
This is probably the first Metal Gear game that I can sit and enjoy the cutscenes the second time through.

With the exception of Heavenly Sword, no game has come remotely close in story presentation to MGS4.

Yeah, I agree. I started replaying the game only to stop after an hour and I was skipping the cutscenes. It all felt wrong. I had no problem skipping cutscenes in the past games, but this time I wanted to watch them but didn't because of a time reasons. I am waiting until I get a 5.1 system as for some of the story to be out of my head before replaying it all with cutscenes.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
alske said:
Goddamn this stupid
fist-fight. I want to murder whoever thought this was a good idea. I'm going to take a fucking break and try to remember the fun parts of the game so I won't want to break the goddamn disc in half. It was irritating enough of Naked Normal, but on Big Boss Hard it's a complete and utter nightmare. Fuck whoever came up with this bullshit.

Liquid: Easy. Shouldn't hurt you too much. If anything, spam the hard punch combo. If you're close he'll block, and one of your next 2 hits will break through his guard and hit him.

Liquid Ocelot: All he has is his big punch. Watch for that and you should be ok. Dash in and out to coax it from him, and get in fill combos/CQCs when you can.

Ocelot's trickiest. Evade, duck his attacks, and get in full combos or 1-2 punches into the head butt (triangle) special CQC attack.

That said, I fear when I get to him on Extreme.

SleazyC

Gamer @ Heart said:
QUESTIONS ABOUT NO ALERT/NO KILL RUN:

Does bringing the beasts down with a regular gun count against me as a kill? Obviously they arent dead yet until they are out of the suit, but i just want to make sure. God i hope it doesnt.

Also, can i get the stun rounds for any shotgun or just one? If so which?

What essential tools should i bring along that i may not realize?

Machines like the gecho and the flying robots with raven dont count right?

What else should i be careful of?
I don't think that the bringing the Beasts down when their armor is up counts but I wouldn't chance against it really.

I only used the M79 (Think it was this one?) with vortex ring.

Try to find at least two or more chaff grenades in a prior game or during your run.

Gekko's and other unmanned machines don't count.

sixthsubset said:
i'm ten hours in and i like this game, but really, they could cut 3/4 of the dialogue and cutscenes and it wouldn't change a thing. they explain and explain and explain and i don't want to play anymore. it kills the drama, if there is any drama

the gameplay's pretty good but not much more than the other games as far i noticed. i don't know how it's revolutionary, maybe it gets better? i feel like the environments are too linear; maybe it'll give me two paths at sometime like after the power plant, but other than that it's not alot. i'd rather make my own route through the forest instead of it feeling so scripted

presentation and graphics and all that is top notch though. cut scenes are far above anything i've ever seen in a game, like a movie almost.

i like it, but i don't know if it's the game of the decade or century or whatever. maybe of the year and of the series, but i don't think it's that groundbreaking. just a great finale to an awesome series

I feel the same. The first two acts feel like a real game. Near the end, i feel like the game is taken away from me except for the boss fights, forcing me to go down a corridor to see the next cutscene. If it wasnt for kojima making snake an extremly relatable and real character instead of just a badass who likes to smoke the ending and cutscenes would have bothered me much more.

SleazyC said:
I don't think that the bringing the Beasts down when their armor is up counts but I wouldn't chance against it really.

I only used the M79 (Think it was this one?) with vortex ring.

Try to find at least two or more chaff grenades in a prior game or during your run.

Gekko's and other unmanned machines don't count.

Is the chaff just for those little bots in act 4?

AmMortal

Banned
alske said:
Goddamn this stupid

PRESS SELECT- FOR AWESOMENESS.

IF NOT, HOLD R1 towards *your enemy*.

g35twinturbo said:
How do I get to the white room with the sex noises :)

Run away from them for at least a couple of minutes, get your camera ready when you get there.

Crayon

sixthsubset said:
i'm ten hours in and i like this game, but really, they could cut 3/4 of the dialogue and cutscenes and it wouldn't change a thing.

Skip the cutscenees, then. For the love of god just press the start button and fucking skip them.

It's starting to make my head hurt when people complain about the cutscenes.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE CUTSCENES THEN SKIP THEM.

It's interactive. Experiement with the game and play it however you want. If you don't like the cutscenes you don't have to see them at all.

If the cutscenes have nothing for you... then skip them. That's what I did in gears!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
tribal24 said:
how do i kill
screaming mantis
Shoot her.

ezekial45

Banned
tribal24 said:
how do i kill
screaming mantis

once you've taken out the undead frogs and stunned Meryl, shoot one of her puppets. Either one until it falls off. Grab it and use it against her.

jvalioli

tribal24 said:
how do i kill
screaming mantis
CQC/Tranq Meryl
Inject yourself with the syringe if you're in a bind!
Shoot the puppets
Once she drops one, take it and shoot her with it.
dreamer3kx said:
I only have two people on my codec list and Im on act 5, is that right?

The codec sucks in MGS4.

Crayon

alske said:
Goddamn this stupid

I did it on Bigg Boss Hard. I thought it was a great idea and after the first HOUR of trying I was getting the hang of it. Another hour after that, I was a master at it and won a well-deserved victory.

What don't you like about it?

Yoshichan

Kagari said:
I have to say, I'm really glad I went into the game spoiler free.
Same here.

Kagari said:
I have to say, I'm really glad I went into the game spoiler free.

I think more or less I went in spoiler free and am happy about it. I did watch the trailers, but the Courage is Solid one I only watched once and I kept looking away from the screen. Rewatching it now, it really spoils a lot of the game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Since it didn't get answered I don't think, what was that 'surprise' Ryan hinted at for when the game released? Did I miss it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom